Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
UScr00ge
Mar 15, 2001

IMPORTANT PRE-THREAD QUESTION....Did you play the first Frog Fractions? If you didn't, you probably should. It's still free! The game starts out as a homage to the edutainment games such as Number Munchers of the Apple II, then sort of unfolds into something ..... else. If you're wondering what the fuss is about and haven't had the game unfold on you yet, here's a protip: dive underwater.

NEW IMPORTANT STUFF

Fast forward to 2014....after the viral success of Frog Fractions, a Kickstarter was successfully funded for the sequel. The Kickstarter summary page goes into detail on how this sequel would work, but the gist is that it would be released in the same stealthy/surprising/unfolding way that FF1 was. In other words, it wouldn't come out on Steam as Frog Fractions 2, it would be stealth released, game-within-a-game style, as something like Betty Crocker Teaches Typing 2003. As the mere announcement of it's release could itself could be seen as a spoiler by purist, backers of the Kickstarter were given the option to be notified about its release when The Jig Is Up (aka a major gaming website discovers the game, it's discovered by the crowd, etc.)

Well, my friends, after a very lengthy ARG, the jig is up and the game is now available for purchase. Backers should also have the keys in their Humble Library.

How to get to the Frog Fractions 2 content as quickly as possible.

Cheater version: Start new game. Type "butts".
Short version: Dig way down with fireworks until you find a door, or actually play the fairy game seriously and go high in the sky to find an identical door.

Detailed guide:

You have to play the (surprisingly not-terrible) fairy survival game a bit to be able to dig down deep enough with fireworks. Quickest path I found was to build two houses, then immediately build the Prism in an area that catches sunlight. I waited until the trees stopped growing substantially to build my Prism. Next priority will be wood (for torches, needed for continuous digging), and the game does a poor job of telling you you can prune trees to get wood instead of chopping down (and killing) the trees, so you can prune to get sunlight on your Prism with the bonus being you get wood. Once you get that simple economy going, just keep shooting fireworks into the dirt and building torches at the edge of the darkness. You will eventually find a door. Click it.

NOTE: Food is not as important as the game makes you think it is. You will find food as you dig in treasure chests, and even if all your fairies die of starvation in the winter, they will come back in the spring and you can continue digging.

Note on spoilers.....I think anything after clicking the door is very much in spoiler territory, and a lot of the games gags depend on being surprised, so mark your post as necessary.

UScr00ge fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Dec 28, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug
I got to the Flying Toaster (3rd?) area and I really hope you don't have to progress too far in that since I'm real bad at it. I also don't seem to be nearly done with TXT World but I'm not sure if I have to go back there like some sort of hub or something

AttackTheMoon
Jul 4, 2015

cant wait to play this, loved the first one
took em long enough

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

i just got to the part where you play active time battle chess and man i want that to be a game on its own

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

Pillbug

sharrrk posted:

i just got to the part where you play active time battle chess and man i want that to be a game on its own

How far do I gotta get in Flying Toasters to get what I need I hate that thing

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

not very, i did it in like 3 tries

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

Pillbug
why is everything exploding help

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

the shaving part is loving great.

Kraven Moorhed
Jan 5, 2006

So wrong, yet so right.

Soiled Meat
How do you even get past the Twisted Cistern without picking up too many gems? Seems like there's just one too many and it feels intentional. I feel like I must be missing something.

Kraven Moorhed fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Dec 27, 2016

UScr00ge
Mar 15, 2001

This game is hitting me pretty hard in my BBS-door-game/ZZT nostalgia pleasure nodes.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."
Game is hella fun. I am, however, stuck at the frog puzzle bit. I've figured out most of it, but I seem to be missing a symbol which, per the Steam forums, is apparently hidden in plain sight near the Storage area. I can't for the life of me find it. Later game spoilers, not sure how to hint at it.

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

How long is the FF2 part of the game and is it worth the 20$ ? Is the Glittermitten Grove game worth it?

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
totally stuck at the bit with the alarm clock. i know how to reset it, and i turned all my keys orange in the paint.. and then i am totally lost.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Kraven Moorhed posted:

How do you even get past the Twisted Cistern without picking up too many gems? Seems like there's just one too many and it feels intentional. I feel like I must be missing something.

it's a gag. gems aren't good. you get a way to destroy gems later, but in the meantime look for an alternate path

UScr00ge
Mar 15, 2001

Demicol posted:

How long is the FF2 part of the game and is it worth the 20$ ? Is the Glittermitten Grove game worth it?

Folks on other boards that have cleared the FF2 portion clock it in between 6 and 8 hours, so it's quite a bit longer than FF1....as it should be, since it's :10bux:x2 versus free.

The fairy game is pretty much your average town simulator from what I can tell. It's 2D and reminded me a bit of Terreria but without the ability to explicitly control units directly or being able to force units to move to a specific place. Instead it's closer to something like Majesty....you say "cut down this tree" and a fairy will get around to it eventually.

I didn't really play that much to have a strong opinion either way as I rushed straight to FF2, but it seemed fine but not necessarily worth 19.99 by itself.

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.
Got stuck at the Frog language part near the end.

The entire thing is kind of a bummer, really.

Calipark fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Dec 27, 2016

Meis
Sep 2, 2011

anyone got tips for the toaster part? I'm so loving bad at it

edit: never mind, figured it out. this game is cute, despite its obtuseness

Meis fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Dec 28, 2016

UScr00ge
Mar 15, 2001

Yeah, I'm not sure what I did for the toaster section other than sort of figure out which buttons give you an immediate downward motion followed a steady increase of height, and then abuse the hell out of them. For some reason after i got The Thing, it kept me in the mini-game for several games after that, so I thought I was going to have to get a second item, but randomly it booted me back to the overworld. Weird.

The horn that plays the Dukes of Hazard General Lee sound is just the best.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
Frog Fractions 2: ZZT Boogaloo

Now I just have this terrible nostalgic hankering for terrible ZZT and MegaZeux games.

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.
Yeah I just finished the game and have to say that was really exhausting and not at all fun.

XavierGenisi
Nov 7, 2009

:dukedog:

UScr00ge posted:

Yeah, I'm not sure what I did for the toaster section other than sort of figure out which buttons give you an immediate downward motion followed a steady increase of height, and then abuse the hell out of them. For some reason after i got The Thing, it kept me in the mini-game for several games after that, so I thought I was going to have to get a second item, but randomly it booted me back to the overworld. Weird.

You gotta collect the Thing, and then afterwards, you need to crash so you land on the crack on the ground, which will dump you back out to the overworld.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

JonTerp posted:

Yeah I just finished the game and have to say that was really exhausting and not at all fun.

I just got the bridge after beating the chess game how much left is there?

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

JonTerp posted:

the original was a pile of jokes with almost no gameplay. this one seems to be a pile of jokes with deliberately terrible gameplay

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
Fuckin' A, I'm stuck on the Dante's Inferno bit. What am I supposed to be doing?

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
So I haven't bought this, and these spoilers feel like a game of Mornington Crescent.

thefncrow
Mar 14, 2001

Naked Bear posted:

Fuckin' A, I'm stuck on the Dante's Inferno bit. What am I supposed to be doing?

Did you ever play any of the Carmen Sandiego games? Because this is that.

Each location has 2 people to talk to, who will either give you clues to a person's identity, which you can fill in on the suspect profile, or a clue to the location where they went next.

Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego came with an almanac and the vague clue from the game would be info you could use in the almanac to find out the next location. Since this is the same thing for Dante's Inferno, they've provided you with a full copy of Inferno by Dante so you can find the references. Or, quicker, you can just use google.

thefncrow fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Dec 28, 2016

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
im way too loving dumb for this game

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

thefncrow posted:

Did you ever play any of the Carmen Sandiego games? Because this is that.

Each location has 2 people to talk to, who will either give you clues to a person's identity, which you can fill in on the suspect profile, or a clue to the location where they went next.

Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego came with an almanac and the vague clue from the game would be info you could use in the almanac to find out the next location. Since this is the same thing for Dante's Inferno, they've provided you with a full copy of Inferno by Dante so you can find the references. Or, quicker, you can just use google.
Ah, I haven't played those, but I kinda figured out the gist of it, thanks! I tried to go through them in order. :downs:

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."

JonTerp posted:

I think the game was fun and all, but it just feels like there should be something more at the end.

I've also found all the purple letters, but I don't know if this does anything.

EDIT: I will be extremely happy if the Glittermitten game is updated with some sort of campaign mode. It's very chill and enjoyable.

Blattdorf fucked around with this message at 11:28 on Dec 28, 2016

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Don't forget to read the copy of Dante's Inferno: New Game Plus.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Concerned Citizen posted:

totally stuck at the bit with the alarm clock. i know how to reset it, and i turned all my keys orange in the paint.. and then i am totally lost.
Did you ever figure this part out? This is where I'm stuck, too.

Not sure if it means anything, but I found two different orange paint cans. Huh.

There's also a letter or something in that black and white room that I can't do anything with. It says it's locked or something like that.

Naked Bear fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Dec 28, 2016

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

JonTerp posted:

The TXT World segment ends up stretching on a little too long, and one important letter you need to find, the up arrow, is hidden in a way that you can easily cut yourself off from and be left searching for hours with no hope of ever finding it. Unfortunately, this is by far the most important of the letters. If this is where you're stuck, continue on to the next spoiler and don't feel too bad about spoiling it because it's pretty much bullshit: --> The guy who "won't let you pass without a sword" gives you the up arrow after you get a sword. Talk to him, then you can push him down and out of the way. Then talk to him again and he'll give you the arrow. If you've killed him, you can't get the arrow until you go do a minigame so he comes back to life.

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

Naked Bear posted:

Did you ever figure this part out? This is where I'm stuck, too.

Once you've pained yourself orange, you can open all the orange locks. That should give you access to the frog. Don't bother talking to the frog unless you've gotten all 17 letters.

Naked Bear posted:

There's also a letter or something in that black and white room that I can't do anything with. It says it's locked or something like that.

I think that only opens at certain times of the day; though I'm not sure exactly what time of day. It was just open for me one of the times I went into the room. Personally I wouldn't bother with it until you've gotten a certain something that allows you to control the time of day and move around a lot easier.

Alvie
May 22, 2008

biznatchio posted:

Once you've pained yourself orange, you can open all the orange locks.

I'm stuck here. Have everything else I think. Where can I make this happen?

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Alvie posted:

I'm stuck here. Have everything else I think. Where can I make this happen?
There are two screens where you can paint yourself orange: one is in the gift shoppe employees' area and the other is a lone room off somewhere to the left. There are two orange doors in the room with the frog; I think that's also where you'll pick up the time machine.

I've got the time machine and now I'm just trying to figure out how to get that last letter. I went ahead and talked to the frog anyway, and I think I have some of it figured out. We'll see.

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

I'm a bit stuck at the bit where you're talking to the frog. I've gotten to the part where, I think, he's panicking about his wedding? Or his ring not being good enough? Can you actually find a diamond glyph to use yourself? I figure you've got to tell him to give the fish instead (since it's a cat) but I'm not sure how to do that.

I've really enjoyed this specific puzzle, though. Love weird language poo poo.

Alvie
May 22, 2008

Trick Question posted:

I'm a bit stuck at the bit where you're talking to the frog. I've gotten to the part where, I think, he's panicking about his wedding? Or his ring not being good enough? Can you actually find a diamond glyph to use yourself? I figure you've got to tell him to give the fish instead (since it's a cat) but I'm not sure how to do that.

My interpretation was that The one glyph that looks like an infinity sign means something like "eat". So he's saying that the cat won't eat fruit. You have to say the cat can eat the fish. I just interpreted the wedding photo as meaning that the cat was his wife and she was calling about dinner. I think that's how I did it, anyway.

Having finally finished this game, I liked it a lot but boy did it drag a bit near the end. Totally worth it though. A genuinely surprising and funny experience.

Antoine Silvere
Nov 25, 2008

Are these soap bubbles?
Grimey Drawer
Biker Chicks is surprisingly fun. Spent way more time than i should have unlocking a lot of the characters. diagy blows

has anyone gotten to the mini-game door in that area after you enter the church looking place. the one with a gray teleporter in the top left corner and all the green doors up top? the one where you get the green key. I was able to beat the game without reaching either of those two things so maybe it's a secret/red herring?

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

Alvie posted:

My interpretation was that The one glyph that looks like an infinity sign means something like "eat". So he's saying that the cat won't eat fruit. You have to say the cat can eat the fish. I just interpreted the wedding photo as meaning that the cat was his wife and she was calling about dinner. I think that's how I did it, anyway.

Having finally finished this game, I liked it a lot but boy did it drag a bit near the end. Totally worth it though. A genuinely surprising and funny experience.

Hmm, I must've missed a letter somewhere, since I have no idea how you'd say "cat". Are there more than 16? I never did reach the teleporter in the enclosed room in the nethack/DROD section.

Antoine Silvere posted:

Biker Chicks is surprisingly fun. Spent way more time than i should have unlocking a lot of the characters. diagy blows

has anyone gotten to the mini-game door in that area after you enter the church looking place. the one with a gray teleporter in the top left corner and all the green doors up top? the one where you get the green key. I was able to beat the game without reaching either of those two things so maybe it's a secret/red herring?

To reach it you need to both paint the key orange after picking it up and fill your gem bag so you can walk on them. It looks like it's some sort of microphone thing, though, and I couldn't get it to do anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

The dev room reminds me a lot of the Deathtemple in Hell from Barkley.

• Locked thread