Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
eberbs
Aug 29, 2011

And I wonder, I still wonder, who'll stop the rain.
Finished the heatercore and took it for a good drive. no issues.

And the window sprayers work plus my turn signals blink at the proper speed after fixing the chewed wiring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
And you're not breathing in hantavirus anymore.

eberbs
Aug 29, 2011

Bit of an update on the Cressida,

Moved the replacement motor into the garage using the tow truck. motor swap coming soon.

way better than a motor hoist.

Also used a deck truck to help my grandpa move some logs

And on the Eagle front i noticed the rear pinion seal is leaking badly, from what i read online its easy to physically change but there is some kind of crush washer to watch for and torquing the main nut down can be hard to do correctly. Something to do with drag and resistance, but some guys say just slap it together, tighten it down and cross your fingers.

Swiller of Beer
Jan 2, 2003
Cold Hearted S.O.B.
Soiled Meat

eberbs posted:

And on the Eagle front i noticed the rear pinion seal is leaking badly, from what i read online its easy to physically change but there is some kind of crush washer to watch for and torquing the main nut down can be hard to do correctly. Something to do with drag and resistance, but some guys say just slap it together, tighten it down and cross your fingers.

The crush washer is already crushed, what you dont want to do is crush it more. The shortcut way is to replace the pinion seal, then when you're tightening the pinion nut back down avoid any long bursts with your impact once the pinion nut starts to tighten up. Normally a couple very quick bursts is all that is required.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
It's an AMC model 15 / dana 35 rearend right? The RIGHT way to do it is to:
- remove diff cover
- remove cross shaft retention bolt
- remove cross shaft
- remove axleshafts and c clips
- remove carrier, keep each bearing cup with the side of the diff it was on originally
- drop driveshaft
- measure pinion preload drag (since it's leaking like a sieve you can probably assume there's zero drag from the seal) with an inch-pound torque wrench that measures while it's moving, not trying to get it moving
- remove nut, washer, yoke, seal, outer bearing, crush sleeve
- replace crush sleeve, bearing, seal, yoke, washer, new pinion nut
- tighten to spec, verify preload drag is correct plus a bit for the fact that the seal's actually touching it now
- reassembly is reverse of removal, except you curse at different times (usually when dropping all the things into the drain pan full of nasty diff lube and dirt)

The factory procedure probably involves replacing the pinion bearings and cups as well, and may require redoing the depth shimming and/or carrier bearings too While You're In There.

That being said, the way I've done it a few times is exactly what Swiller of Beer said. Bap it off, pull washer/yoke/seal, reinstall new (use new pinion nut), bap it back on. Or another variation (this only works since you're not replacing the yoke or washer or anything other than the seal), scratch a line into the pinion tip and nut, bap it off, pull washer/yoke/seal, crank it back on with a ratchet and make sure the scribe lines match up again, now it's where it was originally. Probably worn and sloppy as gently caress with no remaining bearing preload, but hey, whatever, it worked before.

If it blows up, swap in a 29 spline chrysler 8.25, IMO, you might even get lucky and find one that is the right gear ratio to match your front. Allegedly the spring perch width is the same on the Eagle and XJ 8.25 so it'll bolt right in after you weld the appropriate shock mounts on, but the people who said that noted in the same breath that Eagles are SUA while XJs are SOA, so I'm not sure how accurate this information is because that'd require some work to correct.

eberbs
Aug 29, 2011

kastein posted:

It's an AMC model 15 / dana 35 rearend right? The RIGHT way to do it is to:
- remove diff cover
- remove cross shaft retention bolt
- remove cross shaft
- remove axleshafts and c clips
- remove carrier, keep each bearing cup with the side of the diff it was on originally
- drop driveshaft
- measure pinion preload drag (since it's leaking like a sieve you can probably assume there's zero drag from the seal) with an inch-pound torque wrench that measures while it's moving, not trying to get it moving
- remove nut, washer, yoke, seal, outer bearing, crush sleeve
- replace crush sleeve, bearing, seal, yoke, washer, new pinion nut
- tighten to spec, verify preload drag is correct plus a bit for the fact that the seal's actually touching it now
- reassembly is reverse of removal, except you curse at different times (usually when dropping all the things into the drain pan full of nasty diff lube and dirt)

The factory procedure probably involves replacing the pinion bearings and cups as well, and may require redoing the depth shimming and/or carrier bearings too While You're In There.

That being said, the way I've done it a few times is exactly what Swiller of Beer said. Bap it off, pull washer/yoke/seal, reinstall new (use new pinion nut), bap it back on. Or another variation (this only works since you're not replacing the yoke or washer or anything other than the seal), scratch a line into the pinion tip and nut, bap it off, pull washer/yoke/seal, crank it back on with a ratchet and make sure the scribe lines match up again, now it's where it was originally. Probably worn and sloppy as gently caress with no remaining bearing preload, but hey, whatever, it worked before.

If it blows up, swap in a 29 spline chrysler 8.25, IMO, you might even get lucky and find one that is the right gear ratio to match your front. Allegedly the spring perch width is the same on the Eagle and XJ 8.25 so it'll bolt right in after you weld the appropriate shock mounts on, but the people who said that noted in the same breath that Eagles are SUA while XJs are SOA, so I'm not sure how accurate this information is because that'd require some work to correct.

I would be better off just swapping the rear end out of the parts eagle rather than follow the full procedure. i think the bap it off and on method is the way im going to go and if she blows i got a spare. Also might get help from a co worker who worked in a trans shop for years and has rebuild thousands of diffs.

eberbs
Aug 29, 2011

Eagle update: driving the eagle today and out of nowhere it started making GBS threads out, i think its ignition related, it would lose all power then come back run fine and crap out again until i pulled over and got it towed home. Going to check all the wiring tomorrow, hopefully its just a coil or something.

eberbs
Aug 29, 2011

So today i changed out the ignition control module and added a ground to the ignition system on the eagle. seems to run fine, but ill need to drive it for a bit and have a tow truck on standby. Got the rear pinion seal today and took a peak under the eagle and it looks like the rear seal on the t-case where the rear drive shaft comes out is leaking. I suspect that it was caused by the bad trans mount i replaced months ago.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

eberbs posted:

More pictures

What are the keys sitting on? It looks like chunks of agate set in fossilized alien blood.

eberbs
Aug 29, 2011

scrubs season six posted:

What are the keys sitting on? It looks like chunks of agate set in fossilized alien blood.

Thats my weed smoking table, it's a huge slab that weights drat near 75 pounds. Its from the 70's, a friend of mine found it at a swap meet years ago and gave it to me. Not sure what its made of but on the bottom side its a bunch of little rocks and shells.

eberbs
Aug 29, 2011

Started doing the pinion and output shaft seals today.

Marked the nut, but by the time i got it off the mark was gone, so that sucks.

Things were going fairly smooth untill the cap fell of the u-joint at the t-case end. gently caress.

Rather than wasting time picking the needles out of the dirt and swearing for an hour or 2 i decided to just replace it.

So to the parts store for a new one

$20 for a moog u-joint and $15 a piece for the seals, not too bad.

A little hammering and the new one is in.

Both yokes

Had to go to pig iron and get a $8 power fist seal puller

Got the t-case seal out easily

New seal is in

The pinion seal is being a whore to get out, the seal puller is opening it like a tin can and shes in there good. That will be tomorrows problem, along with trying to get the pre-load right without marks anywhere.

eberbs
Aug 29, 2011

After lots of sweating and throwing tools i got the loving pinion seal out.

The fluid that came out of the diff looked like poo poo. The vent tube for the axle was unplugged at the axle for who knows how long and who knows what crap made it into the diff. Oh well I always have a spare.

Pounded the new seal in

The new seal was not as "deep" as the old one if that makes sense, but every where I looked said that was the right one.

Put the pinion nut back on and tightened it down comparing it to the picture i took and eyeballing the threads. Fingers crossed.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Love that seal puller. I'm gonna need to grab one.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Love that seal puller. I'm gonna need to grab one.

Don't bother, slide hammer and hook works even better.

Also eberbs did you put any grease in that seal? All the ones I've changed recommended at least a light greasing, and sometimes a total packing.

eberbs
Aug 29, 2011

I greased her up real good. Gotta get a new grease gun, last one exploded and made a massive mess, gotta hit all the grease nipples on the eagle, hasn't been greased since iv had it so who knows how long its been.
Taking it out for a drive tomorrow, fingers crossed i make it back home under its own power.

eberbs
Aug 29, 2011

Drove the eagle today, the seals and pinion seem to be fine, but the engine was cutting out on me again. It was fine most of the day then it started cutting out, let it cool down and it would be fine again. I still think its ignition related but I could be wrong. I checked the coil with a volt meter on resistance and it tested ok, might try changing the pickup in the distributor. Any other suggestions as to what it could be would be appreciated. Its lovely because its fairly intermittent.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

cutting out once it's hot could be vapour lock. Is it still running on the mechanical fuel pump?

eberbs
Aug 29, 2011

yah stock fuel pump. i thought it could be vapor lock, i felt all the fuel lines and they didn't seem hot at all, not sure if that even matters.
It will idle for days but when its acting up once you get on the gas it cuts out, lift your foot and it will go back to idling fine.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

eberbs posted:

yah stock fuel pump. i thought it could be vapor lock, i felt all the fuel lines and they didn't seem hot at all, not sure if that even matters.
It will idle for days but when its acting up once you get on the gas it cuts out, lift your foot and it will go back to idling fine.

Have you set the dwell on the points? This sounds like a dwell issue I chased for a long time. Then someone showed me how to check the dwell of the points and it was way the gently caress off.

eberbs
Aug 29, 2011

Drove the eagle around a bit today, didn't act up once. Also helping my roommate replace the struts in his 87 celica gts

got the rears back in, fronts will be tomorrows job, he also has new cv axles for the front, might put those in while the struts out.

eberbs
Aug 29, 2011

clam ache posted:

Have you set the dwell on the points? This sounds like a dwell issue I chased for a long time. Then someone showed me how to check the dwell of the points and it was way the gently caress off.

I don't believe its points, has a ignition control module, and i swapped that already.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

eberbs posted:

I don't believe its points, has a ignition control module, and i swapped that already.

Werd. Firgured i would offer it up because I had a car that acted the exact same way. Your cars are beautiful.

eberbs
Aug 29, 2011

Got the drivers side cv changed, took a little fighting to get the new one to clip into the trans. Rock auto sent the wrong cv axle for the passenger side, both parts they list for this car are wrong, luckily the local parts store had the right one in stock for 100 canadian pesos.

Drivers side seems to be original, boots are cracked but not completely split. The passenger side was a napa axle and the boot is torn wide open.

The long axle on top is the napa one that we pulled out and under it in the box is the wrong one that rock auto sent.

And the new correct axle.

Hoping to finish it all up tomorrow morning, then in a few weeks the new cylinder head and headers are going on.

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006
That cutting out def sounds like the AMC/Jeep thing where the throttle position sensor gets a bit of water in it, and then intermittently freaks out, I've had 3 vehicles do it to me, 2 cherokees and an early dodge minivan.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

eberbs posted:

The long axle on top is the napa one that we pulled out and under it in the box is the wrong one that rock auto sent.

Maybe you're supposed to reuse the carrier bearing stub portion? I know AWD DSM axles are that way. Literally the same thing, unbolt bracket from block and separate the CV from the stub and throw the new one in.

Hard to tell, maybe the rock auto one would work fine(?).

eberbs
Aug 29, 2011

Larrymer posted:

Maybe you're supposed to reuse the carrier bearing stub portion? I know AWD DSM axles are that way. Literally the same thing, unbolt bracket from block and separate the CV from the stub and throw the new one in.

Hard to tell, maybe the rock auto one would work fine(?).

That's what I thought, but it's one solid piece past the joint, I pryed the gently caress out of it thinking it would come apart but no, one piece.

eberbs
Aug 29, 2011

Celica is done. Forgot to get any before pictures but it looks to be about a 1.5 inch drop. drives wayy better, just needs and alignment now.

eberbs
Aug 29, 2011

Doing a little work on the eagle today.

Swapping out a bad cv with one from the parts car. The one on the parts car came off relatively easily, although i had to go buy a 36mm socket and some long shank allen bits.

But i cant get the loving axle nut off the good eagle. hit it with the impact, used lots of heat and tried a long bar with no success. Im using a mastercrap plug in impact gun so i might try and borrow my neighbors air impact and try that but gently caress its tight.

eberbs
Aug 29, 2011

So after an hour of heating pb blasting and impacting the gently caress out of that nut with a proper impact and the compressor at full bore it finally broke loose.

Old axle

Going back together i managed to snap a bolt head off one of the inner bolts. gently caress.

Not sure what im gonna do about that yet.

eberbs
Aug 29, 2011

So my roommate bought a 88 corolla like mine from his friend to drive for a few weeks while we do the head replacement on his celica. He pulled into the driveway with it last night with billows of white smoke coming out of the tail pipe. I just thought to myself the head gasket is hosed. Not 10 minutes later he leaves to go get it insured, makes it half a block and it overheats. Let it sit over night and i took a look at it this morning to confirm my worst fears.

Out of coolant, Check
Water under the oil cap, Check
Oil over full and watery, Check

Engine stone cold crank, blows exhaust gases out rad cap, Check

Cold crank HG failure

Cold Start

hosed Head gasket

And it still pushes white smoke like a mofo.
Did a compression test and got 130 150 160 150, not near as bad as i thought but shes still dicked.

Best part is the "friend" who sold it to my roommate has denied that it ever overheated or had any issues and is basically loving him hard.

Looks like shes headed for the scrapper.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
why not slip in a new HG? not like its hard on that engine.

eberbs
Aug 29, 2011

cursedshitbox posted:

why not slip in a new HG? not like its hard on that engine.

Its not that hard at all, but if im gonna do it im gonna do it right and get the head checked and decked if needed along with possible timing belt and water pump and whatever else. Been down this road before with these cars and they aint worth poo poo, just not worth the time and effort especially with all the other projects i have on the back burner.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
Yeaaaah I can't argue that. BTDT a thousand times.

eberbs
Aug 29, 2011

Its been a productive few days,

Took the blown head gasket corolla to scrap along with a friends caravan with a snapped cv joint.

Scrap Corolla

Only things worth saving was the tires and battery.

Also got my roommates parts cressida to the house and stripped off what we needed.

Couldn't get to the bolts for the doors because of it being in the drive way and not being able to open the doors all the way so we did a little body work.

Also have a line on another nissan truck to replace the noodle body, will keep you updated.

eberbs
Aug 29, 2011

Took the parts cressida to scrap today

while i was there i spotted this sweet old international

I would love to slap the face of who ever brought this to scrap. such a waste of an amazing old truck.

moxieman
Jul 30, 2013

I'd rather die than go to heaven.
Please save it... :ohdear:

eberbs
Aug 29, 2011

moxieman posted:

Please save it... :ohdear:

I would love to save it but once its at the scrap yard they wont sell it, the most i can hope for is one of the employees taking it home, but i dont even know if they allow that. Tons of cars that i would love to have, its a sad sad place sometimes.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
That was probably one of those dickhead 3000 FIRM OR ITS SCRAP craigslist ads.

loving shame. thats a niiice old piece of iron.

eberbs
Aug 29, 2011

Towed this beautiful 1959 benz 180 today.

The owner was driving it when his headlights died and smoke started coming out from the hood, luckily he had a fire extinguisher and was able to put it out before much damage was done.

4 on the tree :gizz:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eberbs
Aug 29, 2011

Picked up another hardbody today.

91 2wd 5-speed KA motor, single cab. Got it for $500 and it needs a poo poo ton of work.

Picked it up from a friend of a friend and he had removed the front fenders and stripped the interior so i had to reinstall the fenders before i could drive it home.

Some numpty fabracobbled and welded some seat brackets to fit different seats in the truck but the seats suck rear end and sit way to high so i cut out the poo poo and installed the stock seats from the original noodle body.

Head lights didn't work but after looking at the plugs to the head light the problem was obvious

snipped and spliced the connectors form the noodle.

removed what was left of the muffler.

Tons more to do including swapping both bumpers both doors, rear window and grill from the noodle, lowing it 2 inches and painting it matte black. Going to work on it all day tomorrow due to the fact it is going to be the dd because the f-150 is sold to my neighbor who is storing the noodle and cressida for us.

• Locked thread