Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

It's time once again to say gently caress you to your e/n threads about FYAD meme Warhammer 40K self-insertion fanfiction, because welcome to Twenty-One Player poo poo-Talking Chutes and Ladders: An Exciting Up and Down Game For Little Goons

Well, the first one seemed to go okay.

Welcome! This is a thread where people play a boardgame. It is not a board game where the players have much, if any, input into their playing of the game. In fact, you are here mostly to talk poo poo about the moral fiber, gaming ability and general life skills of your opponents and shitpost your way to glory.

Quite literally, this time, as the object of the game is to overcome the moral pitfalls of the life of a child of the late seventies and climb your way to Square 100 at the top of the game board, and to tell the thread exactly why your opponents can't.

Before we continue and before you sign up, read the rules. Read them.

Rules v. 1.1:

1. The players consist of twenty-one goons, divided into seven teams of three (Team Charity, Team Chastity, Team Diligence, Team Humility, Team Kindness, Team Patience, Team Temperance)
          1a. In order to facilitate signups, please indicate your team of first choice with your signup post. If that team is full by the time your name is reached, you will be shuffled at random into one of the other teams.
          1b. We are aware that the flags and colors provided for each team in this game are non-representative at best and nonsensical at worst. Generic emblems were used for several reasons, including the fact that flags can represent more than one thing. More will be explained about this as we go on.
2. A standard Chutes and Ladders board is used. In this case, the 1979 edition. It is sitting on my dining room table. Photos of the board and dice rolls will be posted to the thread to keep everyone in the loop as the game proceeds.
          2a. Instead of the spinner included with the game (which allows players to move up to six spaces in a single unladdered, unchuted move) the distance each player moves will be determined by the roll of a twelve-sided die.
3. There are two goals:
          3a. One, to be the overall champion, to be better than the other 20 chumps who weren't pure enough to make it to Square 100 before you.
          3b. Additionally, the best team will be determined by seeing which of the seven teams can bring all three of its members to Square 100 first.
4. Because suffering builds character but makes for an incredibly boring game the official rules can get pegged in a room.
          4a. Thus, the rule that one must land exactly on the Square 100 to have reached the top of the board can be safely ignored.
5. On a given turn, each player will be rolled a die and moved "simultaneously," that is, where each player ends their turn is considered to have been reached at the same point in time.
          5a. This obviously leads to the concept of a tie. Two players can occupy the same space on the board without issue. However, there will be only one individual winner.
          5b. If two or more players are the first to reach the final square and do so during the same turn, they will be sent back to Square 91. The first player to cross the line must do so alone.
6. Barring emergencies or the inability to give a drat, there will be 1-2 moves per day. Probably.
7. Each team will be granted certain bonuses to allow them to reach the top of the board more quickly.
          7a. The first of these is the Joker, because I've watched far too many ridiculous British game shows. Between turns, any player may use their team's Joker by posting ##Joker in the thread. It must be in that format, or it will be ignored.
               7a.a. When a Joker is used, it benefits the team who played it by doubling the values of the dice rolled for all three players for that turn. Only one Joker may be played for each team in a single turn.
               7a.b. Each team begins play with a single Joker. However, when play begins, additional Challenges will be made available, allowing motivated teams to earn more Jokers.
               7a.c. Trust me. You want to earn more Jokers.
               7a.d. Additionally, in a fairly-sizeable change from the previous game, each player on a team may now submit a response to a challenge, resulting in each joker challenge being worth up to three jokers for your team.
          7b. Secondly, each player may only encounter the effects of each individual penalty square once. If, for example, after I have landed on Square 64 and ridden my bicycle with no hands and a sweet Afro, thus loving up my arm and landing on Square 60, if I land on Square 64 again, I will instead remain there. I can, however, encounter the effects of any reward square as many times as the dice indicate, climb up as many ladders as I am able to.
               7b.a. Let's call this the Plumpy Amendment. Nobody likes hangin' with Plumpy.
          7c. Additionally, there is a bonus we're calling the Slot Machine Bonus, because I never rolled one in testing, and I'm interested to see if it comes up again. If, as in a slot machine that comes up 777, the three members of a team all roll the same number on a single turn, that value is doubled for those three players. If that happens to be on a turn where your team has used a Joker, those bonuses will stack, allowing you to move up to 48 squares in a single, ridiculous move.
          7d. Furthermore and finally, as if all that were not enough, there is one further bonus.
               7d.a. Look carefully at this collection of dice:

7d.b. These are 40 unique, individually-colored twelve-sided dice. Each player's die will be drawn from this collection at random each turn. Look now at this individual die from that group of 40:

7d.c. This is the Golden Die. As implied above, there is only one die of this color in the game. Whichever player rolls the golden die automatically doubles the value of their roll for that turn. If that happens to be a player whose team is using a Joker that turn, they individually receive the same 4x bonus as if they landed the Slot Machine Bonus with a Joker. Similarly, the player with a golden die on a team that rolls the Slot Machine Bonus individually receives a 4x bonus.
               7d.d. If, somehow, a player whose team rolls a Joker Slot Machine Bonus happens to be using the Golden Die at the time, their entire team moves a full eight times the number of squares marked on the dice. A Golden Joker Slot Machine Bonus for 12 would result in a team moving a full 96 squares in a single turn. Which would be hilarious.

8. This is Rosemary. Rosemary is majestically fluffy. Rosemary is also kind of dumb, because like all cats, she has a brain approximately the size of a walnut. Rosemary likes sitting on things. There is a very good chance she will sit on the game board at some point during this competition.
          8a. If Rosemary sits on the board and dislodges pieces or even knocks them to the carpet, the piece will be placed on the board on the nearest available valid square. This may be a help (if the piece moves towards the window) or a hindrance (if the piece moves towards the kitchen.)
          8b. The Rosemary Rule applies equally to Meyer, who is smarter than Rosemary, but still not that smart.
9. There will be some setup time between recruiting all seven teams and actually beginning play while playing pieces are constructed. This should not exceed a day or two at most.
10. This game will be conducted in two phases. More information will be provided when the first phase is complete.
11. Posting "didn't read rules/thread" or some variation thereof when you attempt to sign up ensures you will not be assigned a team. If this has happened to you, you will have to apologize for your arrogance and ignorance in-thread to be assigned a team before they are all full if you expect to play. Also, naturally, you'll have to read the rules to see this rule.
12. Posting either the yarg or gary emote is a real bad idea.
12. If you do not talk poo poo about your opponents, you are probably boring. Don't be boring.
13. We know this game is broken as hell, just roll with it. Rules are, of course, subject to change if they are preventing the game from completing in a reasonable manner.

TEAMS

TEAM CHARITY
1. MMM Whatchya Say
2. Alasdair Crawfish
3. Meinberg

TEAM CHASTITY
1. peramene
2. BottleKnight
3. chaoslord

TEAM DILIGENCE
1. redneck nazgul
2. AnonymousNarcotics
3. UnCO3

TEAM HUMILITY
1. Infinitum
2. GulagDolls
3. Podima

TEAM KINDNESS
1. Absurd Revolver
2. CCKeane
3. bowmore

TEAM PATIENCE
1. Asiina
2. Krunge
3. PMush Perfect

TEAM TEMPERANCE
1. Moatillata
2. EXAKT Science
3. SLASHER HAWKE

hexwren fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Dec 30, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

Shortlist me for the following teams: Charity, Chastity, Humility

Please pick one.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Also I am tempted to message people from the previous game, but, :effort:

Please contact your favorite teammates/enemies from the previous game and invite them to this one.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

The OP has been updated.

Team Kindness is full.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

CCKeane posted:

How mean can we get in our trash talking? I meant mean as in nasty and cruel, because I delight in the suffering of others. I'm sure most of the rest of the game will strive to be mean in the mathematical sense.

If it becomes a problem, I will say something. I do not remember having to say anything during the last game.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

peramene posted:

you have to pick a team read the rules jeez

I did. You'd have to see my moddoc to see it, however.

CCKeane posted:

Do I get a free spin if I make the moderator cry?

No, but save that enthusiasm for earning Jokers.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Teams Charity, Chastity and Kindness are now all full.

Six spots remain.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

GulagDolls posted:

im going to trash talk the cat

I do that on a daily basis.

Look at these fat fuzzy stupid lumpcats.

I just wanna hug them with their stupid sleepy walnut-sized brains.

redneck nazgul posted:

for the record, the mod has good taste in cattes

calico owners represent

I wanna hug this one too.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Moatillata posted:

Also Allen you loving suck because this game should have been started on festivus

:eng101: It was actually going to start at the beginning of the month, but everyone was freaking out about shopping and travel and other holiday-related things.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Moundgarden posted:

if there's still a spot i will shitpost to victory

Dog Kisser posted:

Aaaah put me on Diligence if there's a spot!

Sadly, these three posts were made when the game was full.

Because the game is now full.

There will be a slight delay as the playing pieces are assembled. Expect the opening move tonight or tomorrow.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

The original plan was to post a notice in the trad games announcement thread after a couple hours, as I did with the first game, but this filled much faster than anticipated.

(Keep watching the skies, there will be future poo poo-Talking Board Games - the next one probably in late summer.)

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Preparations.

Okay, let's get to work.

Hi, Rosie.

So, let's get some tunes up while I work on this. What's seventies-ish (like this game) and features a ton of stories about people on the wrong side of morals and luck in life (like this game)? Keeping it to a theme, you see.

Perfect.

So, let me just make it clear, trying to clip the sharp ends of bamboo skewers generally results in flying shards of bamboo. Unfun.

Then we glue the sticks to blank paper to give a sturdy foundation for the avatars to hang from.

Takes loving forever, though. First record's done, what's seventies-ish and features people relentlessly loving each other over and then succeeding based on bragging about it?

Yes.

Alright, glue's done. Now to wait for that to dry, and I can start on the bases.

hexwren fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Dec 31, 2016

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Further Preparations:

Okay, something seventies where your vices have taken over and you've collapsed inward into a paranoid ball of hate?

Nice.

So, further assembly.

bowmore posted:

plan post picture of your stereo
setup
It's exceedingly un-fancy.

A basic Stanton direct-drive platter (it was the least expensive direct drive I could get at the time because gently caress belt drive forever) into a mid-90s Marantz receiver, which is sitting on top of the mid-80s Realistic receiver that looks cooler and has analog controls but stopped putting out sound on the right channel recently into a pair of

Cerwin-Vegas that actually are fancy.

And because Station to Station is exceedingly short...eh, gently caress it.

And now these are in the oven. And when they're done, Turn One commences.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

SLASHER HAWKE posted:

the only thing missing from you collection Wren is an album which inspires good posts

Imagine I posted a picture of "Album" by Public Image Ltd. while I had it on earlier because here comes

Turn One

Ready?

Let's begin.

Team Humility rolls 3, 7 and 11.

Team Temperance rolls 3, 10 and 11.

Team Diligence rolls 3, 7 and 11.

Team Charity rolls 1, 3 and 7.

and Team Patience rolls 1, 10 and 10.

Which means...

poo poo's loving crowded on a few really popular squares.

Let's see what Team Chastity brings us:

6, 8 and 12, okay, I can live with that, how about

6-8-8. God drat it.

Meanwhile, on square one:

Trip and Asiina take the lead.

And here's how things look come the end of the first turn of the game...

...in a manner that says to me I need to figure out what the gently caress is up with this camera and it suddenly deciding to not focus on things or use the flash when I say to.

MEANWHILE, now that the game has started, you may now play and earn Jokers. Playing a Joker and its effects are in the rules in the OP. To earn more Jokers for your team, you may complete any or all of the following challenges:

And, as indicated, here is an image of the game board, so that you may prepare for Challenge #3.

You may now return to shitposting.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

PMush Perfect posted:

It may be difficult to believe, but my cat is the deepest, most platonic embodiment of Patience that has even been born. Of all of God's creatures, there is none greater. No tortoise, shelled and protected. No sloth, mossy and nearly dying every time it poops. It is simply a cat, my cat. And I'm sure this must be excruciating, to wonder why I can speak with such conviction about an animal I have yet to even start describing.

The reason is simple: I do not have a cat.

Yet.

Non-extant pets are not eligible. In fact, rule addendum: photographic evidence of the pet's existence must be posted with the speech.

Infinitum posted:

To show just how loving terrible this entry is, I already drew my entry BEFORE the contest was even announced

Like I don't mean to brag, but that's just how loving amazing I am.

Behold my awesome snake shirt, from last night's Tee KO contest, asking "Where's the beef?"

You can literally print this poo poo off and wear it.

Who the gently caress wants to wear a MS Paint shitshow?
Noone.

Rack off you numpty

How is that a snake? You might as well tell me it's your drain person.

Meinberg posted:

So, let's talk about my recent pet. He's a gorgeous kitty that I've decided to name Blaze It, because he can shoot mad fire. But if you think about that, isn't that the great gift of all? He gives that gift of fire to all I meet, and some of the critters we come across that they decide to join my merry band for an adventure all over the islands! The gifts that he gives are so special and thoughtful, tailor made for each person we come across, be they preschoolers or grown adults trying to beat up school kids for their money in a blood-rage fueled frenzy. And through it all, Blaze It just gives fire after fire.

And isn't that the truest meaning of charity?

That's not a cat, that's a professional wrestler.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

Actually my snake is animated

peramene posted:

I humbly submit the most chaste of snakes, an artist's rendering of a thing I saw a real fake snake do in a roleplaying game just recently, in honor of Asiina's early lead. luv u gurl u truly deserve it

bless the dice

AnonymousNarcotics posted:

My dog truly embodies the meaning of diligence. She is an extremely hard working dog because she is always on and ready to bark at whomever comes to the door. Mailman? She's on it. UPS guy? She's diligently waiting to bark as loud and shrill as she can until the offender goes away. I know she must have saved us from countless murderers and rapists by now with her persistent effort. Miffy is the true embodiment of diligence for these reasons. Thank you.

Here she is diligently attacking Hillary Clinton and protecting us all from neoliberalism.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Next move coming soon but I have a headache the size of Toronto, so I'm moving very slowly.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

CCKeane posted:

Wait so can I still post something or not, because I was busy watching a woman get punched in the face for 48 seconds last night.

You will be informed in the thread if/when you may no longer participate in Joker Challenges.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Turn 2 begins.

Here's where we left off.

No cat interventions as of yet.

The rolls for this turn, and...wait a minute.

It begins.

And bowmore breaks free from the pack.

chaoslord is too busy thinking about mowing the lawn to be anything but chaste. And so, with chores done, it is off to the circus.

Podima posted:

Here is my take on Space 16, deep in study of the one true language:

But it's interesting that you bring up square 16.

Because you and Anon landed there.

and are made to be your own confederacy of dunces.

Meanwhile, pera and Moat have cared for the strange leopard-spotted hound of these bizarre 1970s and advanced upon doing so.

And out in front, Trip...

Has gone skating on the thin ice of modern life, leaving Asiina in the lead.

So, with everyone moved, let's see whose moral compass is pointed in the right direction, and whose is merely spinning in circles:

Bringing up the rear, it's Infinitum, Alasdair, Pods, all of Team Diligence---Anon, UnCO3 and nazz---with EXAKT, BK and Gulag rounding the first corner.

Slasher, Keane and Meinberg are coming back along row two.

With PMush, AR and Krunge taking the second corner.

Trip and bowmore are neck and neck with one's bonus and the other's penalty.

CL is enjoying the Loneliness Carnival.

And out in front, it's Asii, pera and Moat.

The board now looks like this. A bit easier to parse than it was last turn.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

BottleKnight posted:

Can I still do the joker tasks from last night tonight

I'm not going to have six different tasks for you every day of the game, gently caress. Pace yourselves. You get these six until you get others.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

PMush Perfect posted:

Cyclone...

##JOKER

Okay. (nerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrd)

UnCO3 posted:

##JAPER

what

Okay.

Moatillata posted:

Hey losers, meet Crowley

Crowley is furry, huge and up in your goddamn face.

How big is Crowley you ask?

Crowley is the size of a small boy

People who meet Crowley naturally give him the honorific "mister"

Much like his master he will eat all of your pathetic pets and make them into this

He comes when he is called, loves chilling with bros never hides and

gives no fucks

He also has a very temperate side. He does not act wantonly and without cause. He eats only twice a day and I've never seen him touch the sauce. It interferes with his mass building.

He is on the side of TEAM TEMPERANCE and will gently caress up all comers

A most even-tempered fuzzbutt. A Joker is awarded.

SLASHER HAWKE posted:

Elvis was rescued in 2001 and named after the fire-fighting helicopter which joined us that summer.

Moderation is strictly observed in his diet, as he will leave food when satiated, which provided ample opportunity for the late Honey to try and steal most of his scraps. He is not completely without vices: he is an absolute glutton for prawns.

Elvis is not one for extremes. In his perpetual quest to be purrfectly comfortable, he will go outside. And inside. And outside. And inside, every five minutes or so. His inability to understand that sitting in front of the heater will make him too hot ensures frequent trips to the door to let him out into stupidly cold weather.

His background in firefighting and climate control helped immensely in November when he brought a raging bushfire under control.

A cat-copter. A Joker for your team.

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

I would have liked to do the one I actually fell victim too, but I didn't have time to fall into the ice today.

Square 49 and 11

Checks out. This Joker should soothe your stomachache.

peramene posted:

darling please let's not make this any more awkward than it has to be, you have your part of the square, I have mine, let us convene on a plan to backstab and murder asiina.

also ##Joker

Okay.

Moatillata posted:

Oftentimes, I get swept up by the competition of things. I find your plan agreeable.

##JOKER

I am going to admit I missed this post. However, when you see the results of the turn, I imagine you'll be pleased anyway. Mostly. Today has been kind of a nightmare, sorry and I still have to sort through 58 photos to get this update done, and some of them seem to be missing. gently caress this entire year. This update will be somewhat more minimal than it could be. I guarantee you the pieces have been moved to the correct places as indicated, it's just the photos that are the problem.

Turn 3.

Here's where we pick up.

With UnCO3 flipping 12 on the golden die.

Here's the die rolls that actually made it in? I might have to have a look at this camera.

Trip takes advantage of the Joker to jump back into the lead.

Team Patience gets both the good...

...and the bad of their Joker.

We'll get back to Krunge in a bit.

Meanwhile, Hawke joins BK on Square #16

Alasdair makes a sizeable jump out from the back of the pack:

Okay, Krunge made it to a ladder.

Uh. Where does this thing go?

Holy dick.

Meanwhile, Moat grabs hold of second place.

As it's slipped away from Asiina.

So how's it look right now?

Hawke and BK in the rear, Infinitum dragging his feet...nazz, Anon & Gulag getting into it, and Pods trying to get somewhere after the initial setback.

EXAKT and Keane loitering in the late teens...

Alasdair and Asiina in the middle twenties.

AR and UnCO passing the circus...

...while bowmore, chaoslord, Meinberg, PMush and peramene try to get up into podium position.

Meanwhile, Trip, Moat and Krunge lead the way.

You may now return to shitposting, and I will go to sleep, now that I've had these pancakes.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

Jj tell me what sort of game changes you're thinking about putting into a game like this

Personally I'm thinking cards that have stuff like x2, +1, -1 etc that can be applied to any player, not just your own, maybe make dice rolls 2d6 instead of 1d12?

wow rude

Do I come into your games and start telling you how to run them?

dongsbot9000 posted:

WELL gently caress

Hey I warned you, spaces were running out.

Looks like Team Mint loses again.

peramene posted:

Wren please clarify if petgirls count for the pet essay challenge

I, uh.

Sure.

PMush Perfect posted:

Krunge rolls a Joker-ed 12, does a victory lap.

Good game

That wouldn't be the end of the game. Yes, there is an individual winner, but we do have to determine which team collectively finishes first.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

peramene posted:

## JOKER loving OBVIOUSLY

Happy new year I hope you all enjoy your goddamn kid-approved chutes it ought to have been snakes that eliminated you, loving ate you, holy poo poo

Okay.

Krunge posted:

My current game changer thought is ##JOKER

Hey, I took Asiina down. I never said where that would leave me.

Okay.

Okay.

UnCO3 posted:

ugh alright then ##JOKER

edit: seriously how could you do that to me on a turn where I got a golden 12 after we were on the same team in poo poo-talking Casual Monopoly

is there no honour among Hats

Okay. And, no. There is only The Rules and people who do not read The Rules.

And off I go to the board.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

I'm not telling you how to run it, I'm talking about how I would run it.

don't be fatuous, that poo poo is massively disingenuous and you know it

work on your poo poo-talking then maybe work on your game design fanfiction elsewhere

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

This came in after I began running the turn.

Allen Wren posted:

And off I go to the board.

Please re-indicate if you wish to use a Joker for the next turn.

Turn Four.

Here's where we left off.

Here's how we rolled.

First things first, we've got a player seemingly within striking distance with a Joker in play. Do we have a winner?

No. We do not.

Meanwhile, the Golden Die lands on...Team Diligence.

Okay.

Let's see what else is going on.

Alasdair makes the right move at the right time.

As does PMush.

Maybe not so much for pera.

While Moat gets in a sneaky combo.

AR, meanwhile...

Eats breakfast.

Keane rolls a 1.

But it's a very good 1.

Let's see what Alasdair's up to.

He's up to second place.

Keane moves up and pera...

pera hosed up.

So did UnCO.

But in the meantime,

Moat's snuck into the lead.

So how's the picture look at the moment?

Moat up front, Krunge right behind, Alasdair in third.

PMush in fourth.

CL, UnCO and Trip all trying to shake off a head cold.

While Asiina and Meinberg try to fight off all of Team Kindness.

Inf and BK in a tussle out by the circus.

The back of the pack - Pods, EXAKT, Gulag, Anon, pera and HAWKE

And bringing up the rear, it's nazz.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I drawed you a snek

Nice.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

GulagDolls posted:

Turn 4??? I haven't even looked at this thread since turn 1

Maybe get your head out of your rear end and :justpost:

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

##joker

Goddamn our team is sucking

Okay.

SLASHER HAWKE posted:

##JOKER

LET'S DO THIS THING MOAT

Okay.

Krunge posted:

CHALLENGE 2, BEING HELPFUL

And ##JOKER if it earns me one.

Forget about properly reading the entry, you didn't even read the thread title, which included the word "resigned."

Krunge posted:

Turns out all that effort I put in was partially based on a mistake in reading the OP's post. I still feel I have a good body of helpful advice, but I'll let Wren judge if it's sufficient.

In the meanwhile, please enjoy this snake.

##JOKER again, just in case

The snake is sufficient, but, wow, Asii might want to feel a bit insulted by all this. Okay. You receive and use a Joker.

Moatillata posted:

Also I found this pic of our team snake just chilling after eating all our rivals and their pets.

That is indeed a snake which ate everything. You receive a Joker.

peramene posted:

gently caress you clowns

http://tindeck.com/listen/dsqby

special insider shoutout included

I recommend against listening per usual if you suffer from any of the following medical conditions: healthy hearing, unhealthy hearing, medically-recognized but not full deafness

By the evidence at hand, the song is actually fairly modern, as Linus Yale Sr. did not invent the pin-tumbler lock until 1848, and it was his son who refined the design and founded the Yale company in 1868. Beyond that, it appears to be of Oxbridge origin.

It does, however, earn a Joker.

And a very distinct roll of the eyes.

BottleKnight posted:

hello friends

I don't speak moonrunes. But I'll take your word for it. Also your snake is a little less than cool, but I'll take what I can get.

A Joker for each challenge.

Asiina posted:

JOKER CHALLENGE #1

This, motherfuckers, is Simon.

Simon is patient as poo poo. Simon puts up with literally everything because Simon does not know how to complain. I'm loving serious. He meows to say hello and when he's getting fed because he's happy, but he doesn't know that he can meow when he is frustrated or bored or angry or any of that poo poo. So the result is that this little black piece of poo poo puts up with everything. It is my primary joy in life to bother him as much as possible because he is so patient he puts up with it, and then he'll come back for more. He is the greatest cat.

He also knows how to play fetch.

You heard me.

THIS FUCKER PLAYS FETCH!

He is the greatest pet of all time don't even argue with me because you are pathetic shitlords who only wish that your pet was as cool as mine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nqmRX4TPcu8

A patient beast. Worthy of a Joker.

Asiina posted:

Joker Challenge #2

Here I am giving some goodass advice to a fellow grad student.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3478841&pagenumber=444#post467904865

Legit advice. Another Joker.

Asiina posted:

Joker Challenge #3

Here I am re-enacting not one but TWO squares because I do this poo poo right!

Squares 47 and 26!

I sat in some cold as poo poo snow for this.

I left a giant rear end print in the snow idgaf

It's not ice, but I don't want anyone to actually risk life and limb for this game. A cold butt is probably the extent of the necessary punishment. Joker-worthy.

Asiina posted:

Joker Challenge #4

Here is your loving snake!

To be pedantic for a moment, that snake is not loving. However, it does fulfill the requirements, such as they are. Another Joker.

Enjoy my lovely singing voice and don't mind that I'm like deathly ill

I haven't heard that song in something like 30 years. Didn't recognize it at first. But it qualifies.

I recreated square number 13

I mean, fair play, the square in question

is white, has the number in the top left corner, and does not have any ladders or chutes running through it. But you really can't think I'm going to

Okay I did a real one. Squares 21 & 42

Oh. That's better.

And I'm off to start the next turn.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Krunge posted:

I'd like to point out that the OP found what I said very helpful.

I'd like to point out that YOUR MOM.

Turn Five.

Here's where we left off. Looks like someone's been snooping around. Anon's dislodged and Moat's fallen over. No change in position, though.

The dice.

Looks like a lot of teams are really close to landing that slot-machine bonus.

But not close enough.

Let's check on some of the frontrunners, both these and those posted above:

Well.

Moatillata has been deemed the most moral amongst you. But do not be dismayed. We have not even finished the first phase of the game, yet. Now, we see which team is the most morally-aligned.

Waitaminute, that's not right. Look at that picture again:

That's more like it.

And, waitaminute, what did PMush roll, there?

24. 63 plus 24 is...

...eighty-seven.

We'll see what happens to her in a moment.

Meanwhile, Team Chastity can't keep their loving grubby little hands off the good china.

Absurd Revolver seems a good candidate for Team Gluttony, if there were such a thing, with this move here:

Following up breakfast last turn, it's time for an entire box of chocolates. And a wardrobe change to dress and knee socks, but that's beside the point.

Now, then, PMush...

...done hosed up, as they say.

As did chaoslord.

But not as bad as AR, back on square 11.

So here's where we are after five turns.

Moatillata greets the dawn like a rooster, springs up and is just constantly nice to everyone and everything around him until it is time to sleep. Or something like that, I don't know poo poo about waking up at dawn.

Krunge looks to give Team Patience a foothold in the team competition, while UnCO, Alasdair and Trip remain in close pursuit.

Some distance behind, two-thirds of Team Kindness push past the halfway point, with Asiina lurking close behind.

And then there's Meinberg.

And BK. And I remember that this camera turns off macro focus whenever I turn it off and I have to turn it on again.

Inf and EXAKT are neck-and-neck.

Pods is not.

But Gulag and Anon are.

PMush is, surprisingly, not in last place.

Not with pera, nazz, HAWKE and CL looking at the low twenties.

Or with AR bringing up the rear.

But speaking of bringing up the rear...

Every single one of you that's posted less than me in this thread is really bad at shitposting. You may want to work on that or be branded loser lurker scum for the rest of your days.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Moatillata posted:

Step one wash your hands you goddamned animal

Asiina posted:

Step 3) Get real goddamn annoyed that your hands aren't dry after washing them and the loving papery garlic skin is sticking to them.

Learn to read, shiteyes.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

of course the person to be declared most moral by dint of climbing the most ladders to square 100 would be an absolute pedant

smh

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

SLASHER HAWKE posted:

I can't draw for poo poo.

You kind of can't. But I respect the effort. A Joker for your team.

Asiina posted:

JOKER CHALLENGE #5

I mean, was there any other option? C'mon now.

Challenge 6 will be completed tomorrow.

Respect for being the only competitor to dig up an instrumental to sing along to. Joker secured.

Asiina posted:

Don't worry, tomorrow I will post approximately one thousand times as I detail my grand creation.

It's going to take all drat day and you will be here for the entire process.

also ##JOKER because why not I've earned it.

Okay.

peramene posted:

Congratulations Moat you gently caress

## JOKER

Okay.

SLASHER HAWKE posted:

##joker time

Okay.

Absurd Revolver posted:

Now, I've seen a lot of pets in this thread. I've seen a lot of good arguments for their virtues. There's no doubt that there are many which fulfill them, and I am not here to denounce that, but I feel like this is something that must be addressed. Before I go on, I will first say that I have not properly participated in this game thus far. Far too many have not been properly verbally thrashed to call myself a true shittalker, and I must step up my game, as to best honor the man, nay, the legend that I am here to present to you.

This, dear thread, is Pinto. And he is a Kind Kat.

While you may not know him, I can personally attest to the fact that Pinto, is in fact, the most kind cat that may possibly exist. Scientists, statesmen, and voodoo headhunters have all agreed on this undeniable fact, as he rubbed up against their legs and purred happily. Pinto has had a difficult time, having been adopted by us(out of kindness) after his previous owner was left homeless and had to move back in with their cat allergic parents. We were glad to have him, a beautiful and shy maine coon in our home, protecting our children, defending them from the absolutely massive palmetto bugs that often menace our household.

Unfortunately, last year, disaster struck.

Our son, as dear as he is, left our door open and allowed Pinto to escape, whereupon he went on a months long quest of discovery and survival. When they finally found him, almost four months later, he was missing his tail, after defending himself from a viscous coyote which have become common in our Floridian wasteland. But did he let this damper his kind nature?

No, no he did not. He persevered. He loves his family, and they love him. Since then, he has survived the ordeals of our youngest at his tail grabbing, cat chasing, rubbing fur the wrong way prime, and done so with out a single complaint. I submit to you, Pinto, the Kind Kat of Kind Kitties.

And Team Kindness chimes in for the first time this game to earn themselves a Joker. Fantastic.

....wait a second.

quote:

a viscous coyote

you've been hanging out on furaffinity too much my good man

In the meantime, we go to the board.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Moatillata posted:

You have now gained +1 Karmic Points!

Namaste

No fake day actions.

In the meantime, posts containing moves will, until further notice, consist of more than one move if the initial move does not result in at least one player reaching square 100. There are many things left to do, and little time to waste.

Turn Six.

Picking up from here:

You're breaking my heart with how no-one's landing the slot machine. This time around, FIVE teams got matching digits but failed to land all three.

Infinitum draws the golden die and zips ahead, putting Humility in contention for possibly the first time.

But Krunge puts Patience on the board.

But Patience's Joker play results in disaster further down the path:

Which we'll see the grim results of later.

Meanwhile, EXAKT pulls past the midway point...

...just barely.

Juuuuuuuust barely.

AR makes up for his gluttony with some animal care:

While Asiina takes the long tumble.

But...

So did Keane.

So here's how it stands after six.

Alasdair, Trip and UnCO lead the pack at the moment, and I'm going to write out the current running order because gently caress trying to make this

visually legible.

1. Alasdair
2. Trip
3. UnCO
4. bowmore
5. Infinitum
6. Meinberg
7. EXAKT
8. Absurd
9. HAWKE
10. Pods
11. Anon
12. PMush (tie)
12. nazz (tie)
14. chaoslord
15. Gulag
16. pera
17. Asiina (tie)
17. Keane (tie)

2/21 players have completed the climb. 0/7 teams have completed the climb. You may now return to shitposting.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Asiina posted:

And here we are, 10 hours after I began my meal is complete.

I usually have it with a slice of garlic toast, but I have no bread so just plain with some cheese.

My patience has been rewarded.

JOKER CHALLENGE #6 COMPLETE

ALL CHALLENGES COMPLETE!

Very nice job. You earn your last available Joker for your team.

GulagDolls posted:

can we get some non-lame challenges 2 do. im not lowering myself here, like some people

also in case nobody on my team did this ##joker

Okay.

##joker every turn until we run out

Nope. You get one when you post for one. That said, okay.

Absurd Revolver posted:

#JOKER

i deserve it

Okay.

Asiina posted:

I completed all the challenges, which was my goal, so I'm the real winner.

Also assume I am always using a ##Joker

Okay.

peramene posted:

Alright motherfuckers, let's do this.

The virtue of Chastity is one very near and dear to my heart, personally. I personally believe all men should be engaged in the practice of chastity under the direct supervision of a woman at all times, but that is neither here nor there. I am here today to tell you of the virtue of Chastity as it specifically relates to my housepet, by which of course I mean one of my petgirls, this one happens to be the one I have married.

Needless to say, we have conjugated this union to great excess, in nearly-perfect accordance with the very own wishes of the Vatican, which does sort of frown on the whole lesbian thing, but hey, they'll catch up.

Let me introduce you.

This is my kitten, her name is Mana. She comes from a European breed which migrated alongside the Irish to the Americas in the late colonial period. She is the sweetest, kindest, nicest kitten you are likely to ever come across, especially because she prides herself on being polite; apart from the many and I do mean MANY occasions where she knocks an item from a shelf or a desk simply to prove she could. She is a little mischievous from time to time, and what else would you expect from my kitten? Isn't she just adorable?

My kitten understands that true morality demands Chastity, in the classical sense, from all people and all practitioners of human life. It is, indeed, essential to human happiness. Per the Vatican, the classical definition of chastity is "the successful integration of sexuality within the person and thus the inner unity of [them] in [their] bodily and spiritual being." [*] That's right, motherfuckers, I've even chosen to include citations. Like any 11th grader with a hard-on for pedantry can tell you, the right citation can be used to justify literally anything. And that's exactly what I intend to do. You see, chastity is not simply the restriction of sex and sexuality - no - it is the rigid taming of your sexual impulses and desires to the maximum possible degree. Tantra is such a practice, allowing a person to abstain or delay proper physical expression of sexuality in the form of orgasm for longer, facilitating a lengthier and more spiritual connection with your lover.

Mana is very rigidly trained - well, as well as you can expect a kitten to be trained, I suppose - to properly groom herself, regularly, and maintain certain standards of behavior. When she wants something, she will paw at me. When she is hungry, she will meow, point at her mouth in the style of SImon's Cat, or otherwise wordlessly indicate to me that she is in need of nourishment. I will of course see to these needs, and then invite her into my lap, where she will receive many pets and much attention, as any well-behaved kitten ought to. You can clearly see that she loves being pampered and appreciated. By focusing her sexuality into such a form, Mana is leveraging the unity of her spirit and mind and body for greater Chastity, in the classical sense, seeking true unity of sexual expression in which she is free to express herself naturally, in a way which is fundamentally life-affirming and not at all performative, but instead a fully justified and celebrated expression of what human beings are capable of, sexually speaking.

Also? She really likes toys.

I...uh...

sigh

...sure.

peramene posted:

Listen, I don't come to your country and tell you how to move your units, okay. Leave us in peace to delicately sip our iced urine, god.

also just in case nobody else did because I know we forgot last time or the time before who cares loving ##JOKER

Okay.

SLASHER HAWKE posted:

##joker or whatever

Okay.

I'm just gonna put a ##joker into every post jic

Closer to doable.

But I might start deducting the number of Jokers called for (you can only have one active on a turn.)

Absurd Revolver posted:

I hereby submit my Song of Kindness

That...uh.

Close enough.

I probably should call a strike on that one since it's a person saying they're good and kind but not actually being so. Morals aren't ironic.

But I'm lazy.

Absurd Revolver posted:

While I'm at it, here's a snek

#JOKER

Okay.

And now I go to the board.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Turn 7.

:siren: redneck nazgul has been replaced by dongsbot9000. :siren:

Close enough.

Let's see what's happening at the top of the board.

Bad times for Team Charity.

Better times for Team Patience.

And pretty good times for Team Chastity.

But...much like good times for Team Chastity would imply, nobody scored.

Here's how we stand after 7.

Turn Eight.

Because it would be unfair to combine turns and just not use your somewhat-unreasonable stockpiles of Jokers, I've considered that every team that used one in turn seven would use one in turn eight.

Except that Team Humility doesn't have any.

In the meantime, let's check in with Team Diligence.

Nice.

Not as nice for Asiina, though.

Or for BK.

And then...

EXAKT just can't stay away from the loving cookies.

So with UnCO safely across the line, here's what we've got.

Trip up front.

Inf, Meinberg and Hawke closing in.

bowmore, CL, AR, Anon and PMush about three-quarters of the way in.

Then Tomm dongs.

BK and Pods lurking just past the halfway point.

Gulag and Asiina a few squares back.

Keane, Alasdair, peramene and EXAKT bringing up the rear.

3/21 players have completed the climb. 0/7 teams have completed the climb. You may now return to shitposting.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Yay our team is doing better now that tomm is here. Thanks tomm!

Hey allen can we have some more challenges? That's my favorite part

There will be more challenges when it is time for more challenges.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Moatillata posted:

Can we do this for risk Allen?

Maybe.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

chaoslord posted:

Challenge 1

This is Baxter the dog.

Baxter is chaste. He is unmarried and therefore keeps himself pure and clean.

Here is Baxter reviewing his Chastity pamphlet

Baxter recognizes that physical intimacy between husband and wife is a beautiful and sacred part of God's plan for His children. It is an expression of love within marriage and allows husband and wife to participate in the creation of life. God has commanded that this sacred power be expressed only between a man and a woman who are legally married.

Baxter, being a dog, is not able to be legally married. Because of this, he was worried about his ability to live the law of chastity.

So he was neutered. His willingness to keep God's commandments knows no bounds.

Truly, his love of chastity is only matched by his love of chocolate. Which, he loves a lot, even though it is bad for him and may one day kill him.

A fine dorg. A Joker is earned.

Absurd Revolver posted:

time for another #joker

Okay.

Oh yeah good call. I forgot.

##joker

Okay.

peramene posted:

The laugh I just heard from BK has so terrified me I can do nothing but say ##JOKER for the love of God.

Okay.

SLASHER HAWKE posted:

##joker till I can get home to earn more

Okay.

And now we go to the big board.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Turn 9.

A fairly quiet turn as these things go. However, interesting things happened.

Here's the board. Still no cat incidents, surprisingly enough.

And we get our first Slot Machine Bonus of the game. Unfortunately, Humility was unable to capitalize on it, having no Jokers...

...and with the golden die landing in Kindness's portion of the sheet.

bowmore has completed the climb to 100.

Meanwhile,

Trip and Infinitum get the wrong idea about "pulling tail"

And stumble at the final hurdle.

Everybody else moves to one neutral space or another.

Resulting in this clusterfuck of traffic.

Things are pretty open on the east side, though.

4/21 players have completed the climb. 0/7 teams have completed the climb. You may now return to shitposting. The next turn will be drawn sooner, rather than later.

• Locked thread