Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~
What’s the justification for having St. Pete in early March and then nothing again until April? I get that they want to lengthen the season, but it seems like unnecessary padding to ‘start’ the season and then wait 4 weeks for the next race.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Probably because with St Pete and Long Beach being street circuits they have to take whatever date they can get for them, then you want a race just before Long Beach to get everyone hyped after a long break hence Phoenix not being mid-way between the 2.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Phoenix also has to work around the spring NASCAR race.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

Also March Madness, which there's no way in hell they're gonna try to compete against

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

There's still a possibility that Mexico City happens in March, too.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Theris posted:

There's still a possibility that Mexico City happens in March, too.

They’re looking to have that be in August replacing the WEC date, which would be good.

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Wherever you go, whatever you do, I will be right here waiting for you...

Yams Fan

Bentai posted:

Just locked down the hotel for Phoenix. Waiting on ticket sales to open up. I need to also do something for freaking Long Beach, I really do.

I'm not sure I'll be going to the Phoenix race, but I know I'll be there for the 2-day open test on Feb 9-10.
When I went to Long Beach in 2015 I spent $900 on 3 days in a hotel. For 2018 I'm making the switch to AirBNB and holy poo poo it is cheaper. I've managed to book my flight/hotel/car for only like $700 combined

WindyMan posted:

We need a good ol' fashioned at Long Beach. This is the year. It is written in the stars and cars.

Agreed, also speaking of the Stars and Cars...

Given to me by a guy on my football crew, this used to hang on the wall in the MIS offices but now it hangs on the wall in my office

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Yeah the key for Long Beach is to not stay in Long Beach. If you can handle a 10-20 minute drive on the highway, hotel prices get much more reasonable. :D

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind

Bentai posted:

Yeah the key for Long Beach is to not stay in Long Beach. If you can handle a 10-20 minute drive on the highway, hotel prices get much more reasonable. :D

Even better, anything close to the Blue Line light rail. Walk to or park at a Blue Line station, and get off a block away from the backstraight entrance to the track. Every year I park here and take the train down, about 25 minutes there and another 5 or 10 to get into the track. Free to park and $1.75 each way. Can't beat that.

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan

Bentai posted:

I dunno this AirBNB is less than 2 miles from the track and was only $200 for Wed-Sun race weekend. I guess the trick is to book this stuff as far in advance as possible and hope not to get murdered.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

WindyMan posted:

Even better, anything close to the Blue Line light rail. Walk to or park at a Blue Line station, and get off a block away from the backstraight entrance to the track. Every year I park here and take the train down, about 25 minutes there and another 5 or 10 to get into the track. Free to park and $1.75 each way. Can't beat that.

I was gonna ask if anyone had taken the Blue Line. I'm normally lazy and pay the $15-20 to park close to the track.

KingShibby posted:

I dunno this AirBNB is less than 2 miles from the track and was only $200 for Wed-Sun race weekend. I guess the trick is to book this stuff as far in advance as possible and hope not to get murdered.

Some areas of Long Beach are still meh, but the area closer to the ocean is fine. Hell, downtown LB is straight up hipstery nice in areas now.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Big domino on the engineering side. Allen McDonald, who left SPM after 4 years of being their primary engineer, has been hired over at Carpenter. Pigot+McDonald will be an interesting combo for sure.

http://www.racer.com/indycar/item/145089-mcdonald-joins-ecr-engineering-team

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Pretty interesting developments with the 2018 MRTI schedule.

http://www.racer.com/indycar/road-to-indy/item/145101-mazda-road-to-indy-2018-schedules-announced

- Portland will be the finale for all three series
- PM and USF returning to IRP/LOR for the Carb Night Classic/Race Before the 500, on the same day as the Freedom 100. More points/purse money for all three races.
- PM National Class retooling into the PM Classic Series, a subdivision of PM using 2002-2017 spec cars (of which there are a lot) with its own points and purses
- Indy Lights will feature a 17-race schedule at 10 venues comprised of three oval, five road course and two street circuit events.
- Pro Mazda will expand to a nine-event, 16-race schedule which includes two ovals, five road course and two street course venues. (12 races, 6 venues for PMC.)
- The USF2000 series will continue with a 14-race format held at seven venues featuring one oval, four road course and two street circuit events.

Good. Good good good good good.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

So about Wickens...

https://twitter.com/MercedesAMGDTM/status/920575335464304640

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

WindyMan posted:

Pretty interesting developments with the 2018 MRTI schedule.

http://www.racer.com/indycar/road-to-indy/item/145101-mazda-road-to-indy-2018-schedules-announced

- Portland will be the finale for all three series
- PM and USF returning to IRP/LOR for the Carb Night Classic/Race Before the 500, on the same day as the Freedom 100. More points/purse money for all three races.
- PM National Class retooling into the PM Classic Series, a subdivision of PM using 2002-2017 spec cars (of which there are a lot) with its own points and purses
- Indy Lights will feature a 17-race schedule at 10 venues comprised of three oval, five road course and two street circuit events.
- Pro Mazda will expand to a nine-event, 16-race schedule which includes two ovals, five road course and two street course venues. (12 races, 6 venues for PMC.)
- The USF2000 series will continue with a 14-race format held at seven venues featuring one oval, four road course and two street circuit events.

Good. Good good good good good.

I like the fact they found something to do with the old rotaries. Will PM and PMC run at the same time?

I mean, this was all but confirmed.

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

WindyMan posted:

Oh man if I had gentleman driver money I would be all over that.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

iospace posted:

I like the fact they found something to do with the old rotaries. Will PM and PMC run at the same time?

It seems that they do. There were only 1 to 5 cars in the class for any given race.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

I think its fair to say that SPM, Rahal, and Foyt have all taken a step forward, while Ganassi and Penske have taken a step backwards. Gonna be fun times.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Cygni posted:

I think its fair to say that SPM, Rahal, and Foyt have all taken a step forward, while Ganassi and Penske have taken a step backwards. Gonna be fun times.

Andretti stays the same?

tupacalypse
Jan 1, 2013

by Pragmatica

wicka posted:

Andretti stays the same?

Garbage is still garbage at the end of the day.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Cygni posted:

Ganassi got thrown into limbo when Toro Rosso decided to poach Hartley.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

tupacalypse posted:

Garbage is still garbage at the end of the day.

t:mad:

I'll disagree about garbage but there's not a lot of reason to expect a huge amount of change here. They'll be more competitive at more places since they won't have the Honda aerokit issue, but they'll have to fight even harder at the superspeedways where they've been doing well.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I predict Foyt will still be bad. Even with the superior package this year and solid young drivers they went backwards.

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan

Human Grand Prix posted:

I predict Foyt will still be bad. Even with the superior package this year and solid young drivers they went backwards.

I hope not, TK + Daly = My new favorite team

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 8 days!)

All this talk of Pro Mazda made me look it up and there I found there's a driver named Sting Ray Robb. I am his a #1 fan forever.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

iospace posted:

Ganassi got thrown into limbo when Toro Rosso decided to poach Hartley.

This was for the one race to my knowledge, to fill the gap while Gasly goes to try and win a championship. Completely justified. But nothing has been confirmed for him for 2018 to my knowledge.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Hot rumor alert: https://www.motorsport.com/indycar/news/schmidt-targets-montoya-for-indy-500-drive-967093/

SPM may give JPM a 500 ride.

e: in semi-rumor news, it looks like they're going to run the short ovals with the low-downforce config of the RC kit.

iospace fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Oct 19, 2017

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

They should use that configuration for Road America, too. Break the trap speed record even if they don't break the lap record.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

We should all pitch in money to help sponsor JPM at SPM for the 500, we might be able to have enough money to pay for like.. one brake pad.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

harperdc posted:

This was for the one race to my knowledge, to fill the gap while Gasly goes to try and win a championship. Completely justified. But nothing has been confirmed for him for 2018 to my knowledge.

Correct.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Juncos to run 4 races this year with Kaiser, including the 500.

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!
About time Kaiser got a run

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

dsriggs posted:

Well he was for sure getting the 500 and a couple others as Lights champ. Nice to see that Juncos is going to be the team though.

The other two races will probably be at locations that have a Lights race to simplify logistics.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

dsriggs posted:

He's on a roll!

...I'll see myself out.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

http://motorsports.nbcsports.com/2017/10/19/alonso-confirms-absence-from-2018-indy-500-due-to-monaco-f1-clash/

quote:

“With the new McLaren deal for next year, I can confirm that I will not be in the Indy 500 next year, because there is Monaco Grand Prix at the same weekend and the priority next year will be to perform well in Formula 1,” Alonso said.

“But at the same time, I can confirm that I will be in the Indy 500 in the future.

“I don’t know if it will be 2019, or 2020 or whatever, but it’s a race that I definitely will do again.”

Hope he does come back, was fun as hell havin em.

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan
Still my favorite Nando pic that I took

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

quote:

“But at the same time, I can confirm that I will be in the Indy 500 in the future.

“I don’t know if it will be 2019, or 2020 or whatever, but it’s a race that I definitely will do again.”

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

IndyCar looking into doing "slow zones" or a non-closed pit quicky caution option. And oval quals order likely going away from random draw.

https://www.motorsport.com/indycar/news/indycar-working-to-eliminate-randomness-from-races-967610/

Honestly, i LIKE the randomness some of the current rules add, although they absolutely confuse fans. My take is still that everyone in the field knows that if someone on the lead lap pits and doesn't go a lap down, everyone who hasn't stopped is now gambling. You really can't use a caution as an excuse for fuckin' up your strategy if everyone knows thats how it works. I dunno.

Cygni fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Oct 20, 2017

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Cygni posted:

IndyCar looking into doing "slow zones" or a non-closed pit quicky caution option. And oval quals order likely going away from random draw.

https://www.motorsport.com/indycar/news/indycar-working-to-eliminate-randomness-from-races-967610/

Honestly, i LIKE the randomness some of the current rules add, although they absolutely confuse fans. My take is still that everyone in the field knows that if someone on the lead lap pits and doesn't go a lap down, everyone who hasn't stopped is now gambling. You really can't use a caution as an excuse for fuckin' up your strategy if everyone knows thats how it works. I dunno.

There was the one season a few years ago where they kept the pits open and/or deliberately waited to throw the full-course yellow in order to allow for anyone to come in to pit before the field got stacked up. It got dumped in the following season. It made yellows shorter, but made restarts a little anti-climactic and it also took away a lot of the spice in the strategy game. There was very little someone could do to make up time on pit strategy, if I remember. Though I wonder if things would be different with the new car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

It's official, no more Verizon IndyCar Series after 2018.

https://twitter.com/A_S12/status/921422067475599361

• Locked thread