Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Nick Soapdish posted:

https://twitter.com/NavalInstitute/status/1266024977276551171?s=19

Can almost taste that near beer. Was joking with a friend on the Blue Ridge that he was a real salty Sailor now that they and the ship had their first beer day like ever

Congratulations!

I will never forget having two beer days before we hit a port. God that was a weird deployment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
Officially a free man. Alas, no weed procured yet. But actually got my leave sell back deposited in my account today. Sixty days since I didn't take any terminal due to coronavirus telemustering. I was pretty loving stunned they didn't screw that up. :toot:

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Finally got my travel voucher. Hooo boy I got a long flight ahead of me.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

LingcodKilla posted:

Are you at ECRC now? I知 finishing up processing today.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

AlternateNu posted:

Are you at ECRC now? I知 finishing up processing today.

No I知 flying to Seattle to Vancouver to London to Rome in the very near future.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

LingcodKilla posted:

Check to see if you can buy a Gogo Inflight (and that the airlines you'll be flying use it) day pass before you leave. Internet makes flights go faster.

https://www.gogoair.com/for-passengers/all-day-pass/

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 22:50 on May 29, 2020

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Check to see if you can buy a Gogo Inflight day pass before you leave. Internet makes flights go faster.

https://www.gogoair.com/for-passengers/all-day-pass/

I got a couple book and movies and nearly narcoleptic ability to fall asleep in boring moments.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

LingcodKilla posted:

nearly narcoleptic ability to fall asleep in boring moments.

I truly believe it is this skill that, if anything, can make someone happy in the Navy. Because of this I try to never be mean to people who are falling asleep on watch, I just make sure they stand up.

People that can go to sleep right after watch, they're the only reason any of this works.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

I知. Rrldrinkk a. D us Klein. Agertturjrr r urge deep
Mil k u
Muiopeprpr. Coo. Rrrnbenjeejj. Ann dniiiv. A. T t. Xnnrnjrji iwisishs. Iiwjbsbrhfbnr

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

LingcodKilla posted:

Mil k u
Muiopeprpr. Coo. Rrrnbenjeejj. Ann dniiiv. A. T t. Xnnrnjrji iwisishs. Iiwjbsbrhfbnr

:same:

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

ThN Laos痴

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
edit : wrong thread

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

LingcodKilla posted:

Mil k u

:same:

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Didn't know MK ULTRA would come back with a 40-something reservist

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Nick Soapdish posted:

Didn't know MK ULTRA would come back with a 40-something reservist

I mean they started by getting an active duty guy to kill people :v:

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Milk u too buddy.

Milk u too.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

piL posted:

I truly believe it is this skill that, if anything, can make someone happy in the Navy. Because of this I try to never be mean to people who are falling asleep on watch, I just make sure they stand up.

People that can go to sleep right after watch, they're the only reason any of this works.

The more I sleep, the less I'm here.

LingcodKilla posted:

I’m. Rrldrinkk a. D us Klein. Agertturjrr r urge deep
Mil k u

My junior is currently averaging more than a handle a week. They just lifted restriction to ship on the west coast so that average is going to increase and I'm so jealous. I need to go home.

lightpole fucked around with this message at 04:37 on May 30, 2020

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Sorry about that I got wasted midday. My wife is annoyed with me but I知 sober now. I ship out Sunday.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
Why is she annoyed? You have to get in character to play the role of a Sailor

1337_ScriptKiddie
Mar 21, 2009

What is going on in here?
Anyone in here surgemain? ...oof.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

I have been out so long I don't know the term. What is happening to em?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

I just arrived in Naples. Finally.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
Woot!

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

LingcodKilla posted:

I just arrived in Naples. Finally.

Ciao! If your mob goes as well as the rest of your Navy career, you should get ahold of a PAO to write a fluff piece about how great your Simpsons level of reservist life has been

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k

Nick Soapdish posted:

Ciao! If your mob goes as well as the rest of your Navy career, you should get ahold of a PAO to write a fluff piece about how great your Simpsons level of reservist life has been

So how was your deployment to italy? "Well, it was pretty cool. My entire job was to tour the countryside and sample regional cooking while on per diem. I didn't even have to muster. Im not sure why everyone says deploying can really suck."

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

King of Bees posted:

So how was your deployment to italy? "Well, it was pretty cool. My entire job was to tour the countryside and sample regional cooking while on per diem. I didn't even have to muster. Im not sure why everyone says deploying can really suck."

Those are the type of stories that get published and then I'm always like "what loving Navy are you in?"

https://twitter.com/BDHerzinger/status/1267668403126276096?s=20

Agree with this

1337_ScriptKiddie
Mar 21, 2009

IncredibleIgloo posted:

I have been out so long I don't know the term. What is happening to em?

It's a reservist group that does shipyard work. Looks like they are getting mobilized.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

1337_ScriptKiddie posted:

It's a reservist group that does shipyard work. Looks like they are getting mobilized.

Trump's gonna put them on the streets

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

shovelbum posted:

Trump's gonna put them on the streets

A bunch of MM2s and HT3s would quickly find ways to skate and it would just be Seamen Timmy and fat :chiefsay:

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Found out I was lied to. The rotator I'm taking to deployment isn't a charter civilian craft but a C17. >_>

Never flown in one. Anyone have any tips for surviving a 24+ hour road trip in a C17?

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

AlternateNu posted:

Found out I was lied to. The rotator I'm taking to deployment isn't a charter civilian craft but a C17. >_>

Never flown in one. Anyone have any tips for surviving a 24+ hour road trip in a C17?

Bring entertainment.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

AlternateNu posted:

It's not as bad as you're probably expecting. There are outlets inside the fuselage, and depending on how the interior is configured there's probably enough room to stretch out on the floor. We had a row of seats mounted on the outsides, and back-to-back rows down the center. People sprawled out in the legroom area, and fore and aft of the seating. Then a pallet or two of gear further aft, to the area we weren't allowed to go (lest we open the cargo door and all die). Bring a phone charger. Don't expect signal unless you are right up against the one or two windows. It's certainly not great but it's better than a loving C-130. Or a Delta Connection flight.

Our flight was 11 hrs from Germany to Oklahoma (following 8 or so from the desert to Germany), so I'm guessing you're stopping overnight somewhere. Germany owned.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
Bring a pair of mickey mouse ears, riding in them shits is loud as all hell

1337_ScriptKiddie
Mar 21, 2009

I did a jump across the Atlantic in a Navy owned commercial style jet and it was awesome. They beat their estimated flight time and they sold Gatorade for a buck and bags of beef jerky for $2.50. I never realized how hard commercial flights packed a plane until that flight. Every seat had amazing legroom and everyone one was happy because their deployment just got shortened by 2 weeks :toot:.

At least you aren't traveling by ship.

CMD598
Apr 12, 2013

1337_ScriptKiddie posted:

I did a jump across the Atlantic in a Navy owned commercial style jet and it was awesome. They beat their estimated flight time and they sold Gatorade for a buck and bags of beef jerky for $2.50. I never realized how hard commercial flights packed a plane until that flight. Every seat had amazing legroom and everyone one was happy because their deployment just got shortened by 2 weeks :toot:.

At least you aren't traveling by ship.

Yeah C40s tend to be pretty nice. Usually don't care about seating arrangements either. Fun flying sometimes too.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Godholio posted:

It's not as bad as you're probably expecting. There are outlets inside the fuselage, and depending on how the interior is configured there's probably enough room to stretch out on the floor. We had a row of seats mounted on the outsides, and back-to-back rows down the center. People sprawled out in the legroom area, and fore and aft of the seating. Then a pallet or two of gear further aft, to the area we weren't allowed to go (lest we open the cargo door and all die). Bring a phone charger. Don't expect signal unless you are right up against the one or two windows. It's certainly not great but it's better than a loving C-130. Or a Delta Connection flight.

Our flight was 11 hrs from Germany to Oklahoma (following 8 or so from the desert to Germany), so I'm guessing you're stopping overnight somewhere. Germany owned.

Probably not stopping the night. Three stops on a flight that would be 13 hours if it was direct. I'm just going to expect the worst. My biggest concerns are the cold and the noise. I have plenty of entertainment, and it's nice there are outlets available. The questions is whether its going to have palletized seats and if so, how much room between them.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

AlternateNu posted:

Probably not stopping the night. Three stops on a flight that would be 13 hours if it was direct. I'm just going to expect the worst. My biggest concerns are the cold and the noise. I have plenty of entertainment, and it's nice there are outlets available. The questions is whether its going to have palletized seats and if so, how much room between them.

The palletized seats on a C17 are hot garbage and super close together. There is very little legroom. Grab one of the seats along the fuselage if you can manage, or find a different spot to sprawl out once you get airborne.

As was mentioned, bring earplugs since it is loud as gently caress.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

I don't remember being noticeably cold but I don't know.

Looks like this is the bad palletized option:

And this is what I had:

Our gear was palletized in the back so we had a lot more room to sprawl out than these guys. We had about 100 people, any more than that and it would have been the palletized seating.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

I flew aircanada from Vancouver to London. Had my own row so I slept across the three seats.
London to Rome I was in first class with those crazy chairs that have foot rear booths.
However they delayed all of my luggage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Update on luggage!

Courier has it. Promises delivery by Friday!

Handwashing underwear now.