Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

I’m staying up after my shift to bang out the entire separation process. I have in my hands now the checkout sheet for the checkout sheet for the checkout sheet and cannot be stopped from getting your signature

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
Did anyone here actually turn theiir check out sheet in? And standout work by the MC kicking your chit back in clear violation of policy and procedure, they must be a leader in the treefort

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

maffew buildings posted:

Did anyone here actually turn theiir check out sheet in? And standout work by the MC kicking your chit back in clear violation of policy and procedure, they must be a leader in the treefort

I guess he’s the CMC as of like a week ago, he used to be some departmental MC or whatever.

I cannot wait to be able to tell the navy to gently caress all the way off.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

maffew buildings posted:

We were both getting contracts at MEPS the same day. My time in the Navy wasn't that bad, but it was profoundly loving stupid. The personnel policies I was subject to were mind bogglingly stupid and as far as I can tell the Navy, rather than allow Sailors to develop or pursue other opportunities within both the Navy or other components, is more happy to drive out talented persons at a high rate and retain a large number of somewhat mentally and emotionally broken Sailors who feel like they don't have any other options. That may be more of a NCF thing, though, since that community is a complete trash fire.

Well that explains my boat, too. I was pretty good at my job and I actually loved it but I wasn’t hooyah Navy and willing to stay late and do extra work so I was a shitbag apparently. Meanwhile the ones who couldn’t comprehend the job or know how to deal with people in a healthy manner were getting great evals because they were TPO or CFL. I don’t understand that. :psyduck:

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Everything but my leave approval is done, LPO said it's going to the CO. Hopefully wake up to some good news. God, between work last night and speedrunning the checkout process I've put in a solid 5 figure step count today.

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

Getting out of the Navy is about 100 times more paperwork and pain than reenlisting would be. Totally worth it.

MonkeyFit
May 13, 2009

Lou Takki posted:

Getting out of the Navy is about 100 times more paperwork and pain than reenlisting would be. Totally worth it.

Pretty sure that's entirely by design. We had 2 guys in my taps class decide to reenlist because they didn't want to do all the bullshit. So the Navy is basically encouraging lazy to stay in.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

Reason given from the master chief was that “we’re already giving you EETP.” Lol I’m on my way to the divo.

Pfft I would punk this clown out so hard

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

MonkeyFit posted:

Pretty sure that's entirely by design. We had 2 guys in my taps class decide to reenlist because they didn't want to do all the bullshit. So the Navy is basically encouraging lazy to stay in.

If they re-enlisted to avoid paperwork I have some bad news for them

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.
Reading through the training materials that I'm supposed to use for this upcoming Extremism Stand Down and they are a massive wet fart. I'm not surprised for reasons that I will not share, but I'm extremely disappointed.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

https://youtu.be/JsOPHyuAuT0

Six shifts left

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

ManMythLegend posted:

Reading through the training materials that I'm supposed to use for this upcoming Extremism Stand Down and they are a massive wet fart. I'm not surprised for reasons that I will not share, but I'm extremely disappointed.

I did appreciate the DoD video from the SECDEF. It's nothing special, but it didn't really talk down to us and reaffirmed what our oaths are to, which I think is key. I don't feel like I've been effectively addressed en masse by a SECDEF for a long minute.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/NavalInstitute/status/1364746273283321856?s=20

If you're visiting Texas, take the time to drive out to Fredericksburg and visit the Pacific War Museum. During season, we went out there for heritage and it was really awesome

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Nick Soapdish posted:

If you're visiting Texas, take the time to drive out to Fredericksburg and visit the Pacific War Museum. During season, we went out there for heritage and it was really awesome

+1 on this, it’s a fantastic museum.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

69 hours left on the floor

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

69 hours left on the floor

Nice

And congrats

Syrian Lannister fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Feb 25, 2021

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

CO just disapproved another enlisted guy’s terminal leave who is in the same situation as me. gently caress me.

My access to our EMR system already gets cut on the day I would have checked out and our floor doesn’t actually having a staffing shortage (though that’s the stated reason) so I’m not exactly sure what they expect me to be doing lol.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Oh no, you didn't do a victory lap before your Terminal Chit was approved by the CO after all of that did you?

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Can’t stop time

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

SquirrelyPSU posted:

Oh no, you didn't do a victory lap before your Terminal Chit was approved by the CO after all of that did you?

No. I’ve already done the entire checkout process before there was a whisper of it being an issue. You’re supposed to do it early so all my network access and such gets cut that day.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Phew, good man :hfive:

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

AlternateNu posted:

So, my command has been working with them during the mission they've been supporting for the last few weeks, and everything surrounding the NIMCSG deployment is a complete clusterfuck caused directly by Miller + Trump. Like, I can't go into detail, but pretty much every decision regarding the NIM over the last 3 months has been soundly opposed by the everyone below the SECDEF level.

Having just gotten back today, I would like to second this. That was loving ridiculous.

I'm now cracking open the bottle of scotch I had been saving for Trump leaving office, which I wasn't able to have on Jan 20th thanks to still being in loving 5th fleet. :cheers:

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Having just gotten back today, I would like to second this. That was loving ridiculous.

I'm now cracking open the bottle of scotch I had been saving for Trump leaving office, which I wasn't able to have on Jan 20th thanks to still being in loving 5th fleet. :cheers:

Congrats on getting back to life!

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Jesus Christ. I salute you and your sacrifice, my dear goon.

I can't imagine how the hell that ship is going to prep for the next scheduled deployment. But I can imagine that half the crew are going to try to get out before then.

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo

LingcodKilla posted:

.... I’m probably gonna go MSC for a few years. Wife not working or having any plans to go back to work is a pretty big deal. Staying reserves allows me to dictate the schedule a little better. It’s hosed up but it’s what my wife wants to do with with special needs children.

You think you'll have a wife still after a few years of MSC? Those guys seem like they get all the worst parts of the Navy and the merchant marine

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

AlternateNu posted:

Jesus Christ. I salute you and your sacrifice, my dear goon.

I can't imagine how the hell that ship is going to prep for the next scheduled deployment. But I can imagine that half the crew are going to try to get out before then.

I didn't even do the whole thing, I just joined them in October to "probably just transit home, maybe 7 or 8 fly days left" which turned into four months at sea. People were saying what a long and lovely deployment it had been when I showed up. So yeah, not gonna be a big win for retention.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

Wingnut Ninja posted:

I didn't even do the whole thing, I just joined them in October to "probably just transit home, maybe 7 or 8 fly days left" which turned into four months at sea. People were saying what a long and lovely deployment it had been when I showed up. So yeah, not gonna be a big win for retention.

I did the previous Nimitz deployment and it was a pretty big dumpster fire. But drat it they outdid themselves. Are you doing a training O tour?

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

vulturesrow posted:

I did the previous Nimitz deployment and it was a pretty big dumpster fire. But drat it they outdid themselves. Are you doing a training O tour?

Nah, just wrapped up the training O tour, now a full blown dirty hinge. Time definitely flies.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

SchnorkIes posted:

You think you'll have a wife still after a few years of MSC? Those guys seem like they get all the worst parts of the Navy and the merchant marine

Being how I’m in the navy and have worked along side the radio room for 9 months now I can say this is completely untrue.

Also having a wife is a bad metric. Most of the guys have multiple “wives”.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

LingcodKilla posted:

Being how I’m in the navy and have worked along side the radio room for 9 months now I can say this is completely untrue.

Also having a wife is a bad metric. Most of the guys have multiple “wives”.

Maybe it’s better for radio room guys? All the American engine or deck officers I’ve met are uniformly “gently caress MSC”.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Nah, just wrapped up the training O tour, now a full blown dirty hinge. Time definitely flies.

Eww ;)

whose tuggin
Nov 6, 2009

by Hand Knit
Hello Navy thread, I went for a run on the old Navy shipyard and I saw this badass ship in drydock

The number on the bow was 13. Have any of you seen a ship like this before? Was wondering what it's deal is

whose tuggin fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Mar 1, 2021

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp
Nice try comrade.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

The Scientist posted:

Hello Navy thread, I went for a run on the old Navy shipyard and I saw this badass ship in drydock

The number on the bow was 13. Have any of you seen a ship like this before? Was wondering what it's deal is

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/USNS_Medgar_Evers_(T-AKE-13)

whose tuggin
Nov 6, 2009

by Hand Knit

Oh cool

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/USNS_Medgar_Evers_(T-AKE-13) posted:

Military Sealift Command accepted delivery of Medgar Evers on 24 April 2012

This makes sense, I knew that the Sealift Command operated out of Joint Base Charleston here. Its cool that its named after a civil rights activist

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
drat that's a tight name for a boat

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

FrozenVent posted:

Maybe it’s better for radio room guys? All the American engine or deck officers I’ve met are uniformly “gently caress MSC”.

You have to be on for 4 months before you can request a relief and then it takes another couple to actually get one. The real money is in the ARA. MSC you are kinda stuck on a coin flip of awesome ports and time ashore or stuck on a fleet oiler following a group around and getting resupply by a shuttle or stuck in the Barents on a cable layer.

My buddy would fly out to Thailand cause his chief owned a bar out there and meet up before hopping onboard in SEA and then spend the next 6-8 months partying around SEA.

Think the Matson positions might be going away but I believe Patriot carries them on the Watson pre/pos.

lightpole fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Mar 1, 2021

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

lightpole posted:

You have to be on for 4 months before you can request a relief and then it takes another couple to actually get one. The real money is in the ARA. MSC you are kinda stuck on a coin flip of awesome ports and time ashore or stuck on a fleet oiler following a group around and getting resupply by a shuttle or stuck in the Barents on a cable layer.

My buddy would fly out to Thailand cause his chief owned a bar out there and meet up before hopping onboard in SEA and then spend the next 6-8 months partying around SEA.

Think the Matson positions might be going away but I believe Patriot carries them on the Watson pre/pos.

This is why the EPF fleet is kinda good. drat things are always breaking down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
https://www.navytimes.com/news/your-navy/2021/03/02/one-sailor-dead-five-hospitalized-after-convoy-crash-near-camp-pendleton/

E-3 was killed, loving senseless and pointless.