Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
there's only one question w/r/t did you do the navy right/wrong. were you in the navy? if yes, you did it wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

maffew buildings posted:

there's only one question w/r/t did you do the navy right/wrong. were you in the navy? if yes, you did it wrong.

:wrong:

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

:mods:

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

maffew buildings posted:

I've made mistakes in the past, but I'm doing the Navy right nowadays.

slurm
Jul 28, 2022

by Hand Knit

lightpole posted:

Stop changing ur name u dum

gently caress you know more about those than me. Get hold of B Dub and put your paperwork in for Matson 1st, they should be looking for more right now. Bonus points if you can sail C9 1st.

I'm dying waiting to hear back from my last interview, if I get it you should move out here and join me.

I've heard that first is a slightly less overwhelming job out there bc more of the chiefs are not entirely just checked out cruising for the pension. It's becoming a big problem on the east coast that you need a ton of individual vessel gremlin specific knowledge to be first bc many many chieves only know where the coffee pot is.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
https://twitter.com/DaOfficialVigil/status/1596580144143106051

Tweet embedding auto-crop doesn't do it the proper justice.

Chinese propaganda of the US Navy

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.

Wingnut Ninja posted:

https://twitter.com/DaOfficialVigil/status/1596580144143106051

Tweet embedding auto-crop doesn't do it the proper justice.

Holy poo poo we turned Sinistar into a transformer? We're the best!

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Lordgenome was the protagonist of TTGL.

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

loving badass. Hope he gets an advancement, bravery award and a no-shave chit.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Bigots get spigoted.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

Dude rules.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

He'll probably get in trouble for missing some critical PMS while laid up and it's his fault for not setting up redundancy despite nobody else having the qual.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
At least they won't blame a turret detonation on him.

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Not the other one, couldn't stand the other one. Nope nope nope. Here, enjoy this bird.
But I'm sure there's a LHA or two in drydock.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
Another fine example of the competence, professionalism, and training of the World's Finest Surface Navy

https://twitter.com/SanDiegoWebCam/status/1597661110693265408

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006
Lmao.

Lmfao.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
I don't see how I can have a better understanding of colregs than any swo in that video but it appears to be the case

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Stultus Maximus posted:

Another fine example of the competence, professionalism, and training of the World's Finest Surface Navy

https://twitter.com/SanDiegoWebCam/status/1597661110693265408

Jfc

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
now I'm not an expert but that seems like the kind of thing some people should get fired for

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
That seems like the kind of thing you spot like 30 minutes ahead of time unless you're being incredibly incompetent and inattentive.

https://i.imgur.com/VY639XC.mp4

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

lightpole posted:

I don't see how I can have a better understanding of colregs than any swo in that video but it appears to be the case

I don’t think it’s a colreg issue so much as a traffic management / BRM issue. I don’t know the area personally, but looking at the chart and video I don’t think two ships should be in the curve at the same time in the first place.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
I don't see tugs. They are maneuvering freely and managed to get themselves in this situation.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

:lol:

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
Sure, everyone knows Momsen is a more capable surface and air warfare platform and absolutely outclasses an LSD in a blue water duel. If she had gotten her grapnels over though, my money's on Harpers Ferry's 400 marines.

piL fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Dec 1, 2022

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

It's a beautiful example of how much more maneuverable a DDG is over most any other ship on the sea.

Seriously, though, how do the two of those ships get nose to nose with less than a mile of water between them?

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

Mr. Nice! posted:

It's a beautiful example of how much more maneuverable a DDG is over most any other ship on the sea.

Seriously, though, how do the two of those ships get nose to nose with less than a mile of water between them?

They're both following a center-channel track and the navigation part of the piloting team didn't talk to the contact management part of the piloting team before they turned onto that leg.

At that point they're in Rule 14 but they want to make starboard-to-starboard arrangements because they're offset that direction already, and neither one wants to cut across the other's bow or make a larger turn than necessary in a constrained channel. Then put LTJG Dumbshit on the bridge-to-bridge for half a mile to try to arrange it, and there you are.

Alternative hilarious option: they couldn't agree on passing arrangements because one ship was set up for passing honors to port, and the other was set up for passing honors to starboard

Cerekk fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Dec 1, 2022

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Cerekk posted:

Alternative hilarious option: they couldn't agree on passing arrangements because one ship was set up for passing honors to port, and the other was set up for passing honors to starboard

Hadn't thought about that but that would 100% be something that'd happen

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Cerekk posted:

They're both following a center-channel track and the navigation part of the piloting team didn't talk to the contact management part of the piloting team before they turned onto that leg.

At that point they're in Rule 14 but they want to make starboard-to-starboard arrangements because they're offset that direction already, and neither one wants to cut across the other's bow or make a larger turn than necessary in a constrained channel. Then put LTJG Dumbshit on the bridge-to-bridge for half a mile to try to arrange it, and there you are.

I'm not familiar with exactly what happened, but my gut tells me that HFY was conducting a harbor nav drill package and lost track of the fact that they were set down on the reds.

MOM was most likely watching from afar but assumed HFY was going to recover and head back to the outbound side and didn't realize that was a bad assumption (because of mixture of HFY incompetence and poor maneuverability of LSDs) until too late.

Fred Dawes
May 10, 2009

Just yards things

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
Two of my vendors were in the bilge checking tightness on the ME bedplate bolts when a third vendor began pissing in the bilge right next to them

slurm
Jul 28, 2022

by Hand Knit

lightpole posted:

Two of my vendors were in the bilge checking tightness on the ME bedplate bolts when a third vendor began pissing in the bilge right next to them

Was this in the yard or just on the ship?

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
People that piss in bilges deserve the lash

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Nutting in the bilge otoh is a necessity if you’re an achievement completionist.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/Forever_Wario/status/1600137116280758272?t=k7ILVohc-vzaOYBlMaqhqQ&s=19

Less shipyard talk, more melancholy gazing toward the horizon

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Fred Dawes posted:

Just yards things

I genuinely cannot comprehend people who get out of the Navy and take shipyard jobs. They are the worst goddamn places in the country.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Call me Ishmael and sign me up undesignated

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004

slurm posted:

Was this in the yard or just on the ship?

Not in the yard.

I didn't even bother clicking that when I saw it. Its a lovely environment and the companies continue to expect the old paradigm to hold. gently caress them you want labor loving pay me.

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe

Stultus Maximus posted:

I genuinely cannot comprehend people who get out of the Navy and take shipyard jobs. They are the worst goddamn places in the country.

Did it for 3 weeks. Day one I went home and told the wife I wasn't keeping that job. gently caress yardlife.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slurm
Jul 28, 2022

by Hand Knit

lightpole posted:

Not in the yard.

I didn't even bother clicking that when I saw it. Its a lovely environment and the companies continue to expect the old paradigm to hold. gently caress them you want labor loving pay me.

Pissing in the bilge = going to hell, double hell not in the yard.

Yeah there's no fitted sheets on this ship and when we say poo poo like hey we're grown men you can't get us sheets that don't pop off it's like you're asking to be paid millions.