Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Elviscat posted:

"This website is blocked due to invalid security certificates"

-Navy website on a Navy unclass computer

This always just stoped me in my tracks and made my brain turn to tapioca.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

Elviscat posted:

"This website is blocked due to invalid security certificates"

-Navy website on a Navy unclass computer

lmao that this is still the norm ten years later

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

I remember when the CNO came to Groton and did an all-hands, one of the things he promised was that the Navy would get rid of NKO.

Two years later, they replaced it with JKO, which used the same exact backend and broken trainings as NKO.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Elviscat posted:

I remember when the CNO came to Groton and did an all-hands, one of the things he promised was that the Navy would get rid of NKO.

Two years later, they replaced it with JKO, which used the same exact backend and broken trainings as NKO.

It's currently no better. Trying to find the correct training should be easy. Make sure the title is "<training topic> 2024". But nooooo. Some years it's that and some years they left off the year so I found one of the trainings as like the 20th result. They couldnt even post the loving # on the list of required trainings.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Elviscat posted:

Have you ever used NeL?

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

NeL was what I was thinking of, JKO is for the DoD trainings.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002
I think we need a system of systems to integrate all our learning platforms.

*Creates a horrible abomination that winds up just linking you to the same places to log in again*

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

Anita Dickinme posted:

This is what happens when millennials start getting in the upper chain of command. :lol:

:wtc:

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003

Can't wait for the day the SgtMajMC goatse's the MCPON then they both try to LemonParty the SMotA

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

lol. I was wondering when you’d catch that, skipper!

War Boi
Nov 1, 2021

Steezo posted:

Can't wait for the day the SgtMajMC goatse's the MCPON then they both try to LemonParty the SMotA

The CMSAF and CMSSF will ruin the whole thing by somehow turning the prank into a lovely “Road Show” briefing they give 4 times a day at different bases taking up a carbon footprint akin to that of the Taylor Swift Era’s tour.

🫡

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

I’m in Hawaii kicking rocks for the week if anyone is around. No real plans since I fly out next Friday.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
I just did 5 trips and you get there the week I go home.

Theres a 688 without a prop somewhere.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

lightpole posted:

I just did 5 trips and you get there the week I go home.

Theres a 688 without a prop somewhere.

Yes well I don’t even want to be here right now. 5 days is really disruptive to my schedule.

Boo hoo I’ll have to go drown my sorrows in Mai tais.

Anathematic
Jan 1, 2011

Crab Dad posted:

Yes well I don’t even want to be here right now. 5 days is really disruptive to my schedule.

Boo hoo I’ll have to go drown my sorrows in Mai tais.

Man, after I became a contractor I spent so much time in Hawaii every year from 2008-2011 that I ended up paying taxes there.

I loving *hated* Hawaii, but it's *really* difficult to garner any sympathy from people back in the home office saying "yeah, stuck in Hawaii again."

You're 100% right though, it's still disruptive to leading a normal life. I was typically only dispatched when poo poo was broken so the travel was always effectively open-ended. Nothing like "a few days" turning into two months, and coming back home to find the car you left in airport parking with a dead battery and 4 nearly-flat tires and a crisper drawer in your fridge that's now full of soup.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Compliments to the Hopper senior chief who didn’t laugh me off his ship when I requested a cover.
Man dealing with real Navy is intimidating.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Crab Dad posted:

Compliments to the Hopper senior chief who didn’t laugh me off his ship when I requested a cover.
Man dealing with real Navy is intimidating.

Thank you again for hooking it up.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/NavalInstitute/status/1803254690966020124

Free Trade and Sailors' Rights

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it
NGL impressing sailors off of a foreign warship is an incredible show of arrogance. And the fact that they got away with it in the immediate is astounding.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.
I think they were commercial ships, not warships

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

joat mon posted:

I think they were commercial ships, not warships

I believe there was one warship but it was vastly outclassed by the Brit ship.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
The lovely frigate was headed to France for a diplomatic mission during peacetime and was challenged outside of port by a British one. They hadn't stowed anything and were unable to fight except for a token cannon shot.

Most of it was merchant mariners being pulled. The British had the largest Navy and an endless need for slave labor so they used any excuse to justify impressment.

Edit: They weren't really outclassed as much as just not expecting to fight anything. The Chesapeake was the lovely one attacked by the Leopard. The other 5 were heavy frigates and outclassed almost all British frigates. Good job knowing your history Navy.

lightpole fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Jun 20, 2024

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

If this is a diplomatic mission, then where is the ambassador?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

lightpole posted:

The lovely frigate was headed to France for a diplomatic mission during peacetime and was challenged outside of port by a British one. They hadn't stowed anything and were unable to fight except for a token cannon shot.

Most of it was merchant mariners being pulled. The British had the largest Navy and an endless need for slave labor so they used any excuse to justify impressment.

Edit: They weren't really outclassed as much as just not expecting to fight anything. The Chesapeake was the lovely one attacked by the Leopard. The other 5 were heavy frigates and outclassed almost all British frigates. Good job knowing your history Navy.

A British fourth rate outclasses a frigate in most competition. The fact that they started the engagement close enough for a full broadside only makes it worse and even cleared away for action they had no chance.
They may have had roughly the same amount of crew but 24 pound cannons are nothing to be sneezed at.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

"Eh, just give up the ship"

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

"I have not yet begun to let you board and impress all my seamen with vaguely British accents"

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

A Royal Navy Ship of the Line may be a fine thing, but it's no match for 'ol pillowsides.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

"drat the... nevermind, trim sail and bring her round, carefully"

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

I wish to have no connection with any ship that does not sail fast; for I intend to go away.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004

Crab Dad posted:

A British fourth rate outclasses a frigate in most competition. The fact that they started the engagement close enough for a full broadside only makes it worse and even cleared away for action they had no chance.
They may have had roughly the same amount of crew but 24 pound cannons are nothing to be sneezed at.

Chesapeake was the lovely, smaller one. The other 5 were easily equivalent to a 4th rate. The Leopard, and British 4th rates in general, were only like 1k tons. The Chesapeake was 1200 and the others were closer to 1500. The other 5 also carried 24lbers.

Chesapeake captain also allowed the Leopard to maneuver and take the wind and was wholly unprepared for anything at all.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

lightpole posted:

Chesapeake was the lovely, smaller one. The other 5 were easily equivalent to a 4th rate. The Leopard, and British 4th rates in general, were only like 1k tons. The Chesapeake was 1200 and the others were closer to 1500. The other 5 also carried 24lbers.

Chesapeake captain also allowed the Leopard to maneuver and take the wind and was wholly unprepared for anything at all.

Only three of the other five were as you described (44 gun frigates with 1500 tonnage), Congress and Constellation were more like Chesapeake (38 guns, ~1200 tons) and were only equivalent to smaller British 4th rates (which could range from 46 to 60 guns)

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004

McNally posted:

Only three of the other five were as you described (44 gun frigates with 1500 tonnage), Congress and Constellation were more like Chesapeake (38 guns, ~1200 tons) and were only equivalent to smaller British 4th rates (which could range from 46 to 60 guns)

Congress and Constellation were larger and true to the original design. Chesapeake was the smallest, different in design from the original, and still carried a theoretical broadside weight of over 500lbs, while Leopard was closer to 400. Also Leopard was one of those smaller 4th rates so the others don't really matter. The British ships were also much older in design and fact, the older vessels being smaller.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

lightpole posted:

Congress and Constellation were larger and true to the original design. Chesapeake was the smallest, different in design from the original, and still carried a theoretical broadside weight of over 500lbs, while Leopard was closer to 400. Also Leopard was one of those smaller 4th rates so the others don't really matter. The British ships were also much older in design and fact, the older vessels being smaller.

Carronades weight shouldn’t be counted at its full weight since they have abysmal range compared to a long gun.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

I was gonna chime in on this and nerd it up but you nerds are doing a great job. Carry on.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

I was gonna chime in on this and nerd it up but you nerds are doing a great job. Carry on.

Contribute you wuss

I'm done I'm on vacation plus the US Merchant Marine did all the heavy lifting in 1812 anyways.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

https://www.businessinsider.com/us-nuclear-submarine-surfaces-off-norway-in-rare-flex-2024-6

I'd be so loving passed if I surfaced off the coast of Norway and didn't get to pull in.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://news.usni.org/2024/06/28/usns-burlington-departing-july-3-for-continuing-promise-mission-in-caribbean

The scope and staff seniority of the annual Continuing Promise humanitarian assistance mission really has come down since when COMPHIBRON SIX did it back in 2009 and 2010. For 2009 it was on the USNS Comfort (I had just transferred while they were underway for this) and 2010 on the USS Wasp. We hit up 10 Central and South American countries that year whereas this is only a handful on a much smaller vessel and staff

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
The Comfort and Mercy are old San Clemente's and well beyond their operational life, and there's no real follow up for their mission beyond a study at the moment. Comfort should be headed to the yard soon as well. I dunno what USNS has to deal with in terms of vetters and regulators but due to the age of the ships I've been on, annuals are extreme and inspections are on a 2.5 year rotation instead of the normal 5 year. If I'm not maximizing port time and getting USCG or ABS on board every chance I get I'm loving up. Those things have 5-10 years on my poo poo so I wouldn't want any part of them. The commercial sector has moved on from steam anyways cause noone has it anymore. At some point theres a very good chance the USMM can't crew those cause noone has the skills.

The interest in maintaining those platforms, missions, and logistics in general is basically 0 and they have been atrophying.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
I did it. I went full diggit nerd

It's more complete with the frame around it though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
this brings a tear to my eye