Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

McNally posted:

The master chief walked awkwardly into the hospital room, the combination hat in his hands slowly being turned in circles as he unconsciously showed his nervousness. When he realized what he was doing, he set it on the chair by the door and stepped over to the young petty officer's bed. He took a glance at the notecard in his hand and tried to speak, but his voice caught. He took a breath, cleared his throat, and tried again.

"Hey there, shipmate," he said, forcing a smile onto his face. "I heard you're having a rough time." His eyes moved to the bandages on the sailor's wrists, wrapped all the way up to his elbows. Down the block, not across the street, he thought. drat. He glanced at the notecard again. Words from above. The answers he sought.

"Have you completed suicide awareness training?"

:discourse:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

LingcodKilla posted:

My GS boss yelled at me the other day for eating a breakfast sandwich on the clock first thing in the morning.
1) I had checked for open tickets, we had none.
2) He was late because he had to go get his morning latte(it was still in his hand).
3) We were told to wait for him in the morning before leaving the office for independent work.

I ended up almost throwing my sandwich at him but instead just berated him for a while on how lovely a manager he was. He ran off and went to a division meeting and complained about me eating on the clock and being verbally abusive. I started packing my desk but it ended up getting dropped because his boss thought eating food wasn’t something to get worked up about and he shouldnt raise his voice to staff.
I’m still edgy around him. I’m not use to that level of micromanagement.

Getting meals was about the only sacred comfort on a submarine. Tell that bitch to suck a dick

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

LingcodKilla posted:

My GS boss yelled at me the other day for eating a breakfast sandwich on the clock first thing in the morning.
2) He was late because he had to go get his morning latte(it was still in his hand).
3) We were told to wait for him in the morning before leaving the office for independent work.

I ended up almost throwing my sandwich at him but instead just berated him for a while on how lovely a manager he was. He ran off and went to a division meeting and complained about me eating on the clock and being verbally abusive. I started packing my desk but it ended up getting dropped because his boss thought eating food wasn’t something to get worked up about and he shouldnt raise his voice to staff.

I teleworked two days this week and took 9 hours of comp time spread out between the other three days. Being remote is pretty okay.

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

unlike most veterans and SA members $10 is not a meaningful expenditure for me

I'm gonna have me a swag Bar-B-Q

LingcodKilla posted:

Are you in 109 or something because that’s some next level bean counting bullshit. And I say that as a professional bean counter.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

McNally posted:

The master chief walked awkwardly into the hospital room, the combination hat in his hands slowly being turned in circles as he unconsciously showed his nervousness. When he realized what he was doing, he set it on the chair by the door and stepped over to the young petty officer's bed. He took a glance at the notecard in his hand and tried to speak, but his voice caught. He took a breath, cleared his throat, and tried again.

"Hey there, shipmate," he said, forcing a smile onto his face. "I heard you're having a rough time." His eyes moved to the bandages on the sailor's wrists, wrapped all the way up to his elbows. Down the block, not across the street, he thought. drat. He glanced at the notecard again. Words from above. The answers he sought.

"Have you completed suicide awareness training?"

Beautiful.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

krispykremessuck posted:

Are you in 109 or something because that’s some next level bean counting bullshit. And I say that as a professional bean counter.

Don’t doxx me bro.

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

unlike most veterans and SA members $10 is not a meaningful expenditure for me

I'm gonna have me a swag Bar-B-Q

LingcodKilla posted:

Don’t doxx me bro.

I just strung a bunch of random words together, that’s not doxxing you!!!

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

The Little Rock's three month vacation in Montreal is over, this portion of the article made me laugh

https://news.usni.org/2018/04/02/littoral-combat-ship-uss-little-rock-leaves-montreal-three-months-trapped-ice

quote:

While sidelined, two dozen of the crew participated in at least one community service outing to help stock the Welcome Hall Mission in Saint-Henri near where the ship was moored, according to a report in the CBC.

According to local press reports, the crew’s stay in Montreal was largely uneventful, aside from noise complaints from nearby condo-dwellers who took issue with the noise the ship’s shore-side power generators made.

“It’s like the motor of a large truck that’s driving at a high speed,” Montreal resident Alain Stanke told The Canadian Press in March.
“Those two generators are detestable.”

Now that Little Rock is underway, it’s set to arrive in Mayport, Fla., by the end of the month after making several port calls along the way.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

The sound of Freedom is strange to Canadians.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

LingcodKilla posted:

Was you guys who said to watch out for people who keep a copy of “Who Moved My Cheese”?.

Dudes also has Leadership Secrete of Attila the Hun, How to Confuse the idiots in your Life and Arrogance Rescuing America from the Media elite.

Leadership secrets of Atilla the hun is like 99% stuff like “Share the accolades and spoils of success with your subordinates” I.e. common sense crap that most people still get wrong.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

“Let your employee eat a loving sandwich while waiting for you” type stuff? Maybe I’ll drop a copy off on my GS’s desk before I skate out.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
Why not implement a less publicized in the modern era Mongol tactic, kill him and usurp his role?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

maffew buildings posted:

Why not implement a less publicized in the modern era Mongol tactic, kill him and usurp his role?

I'd die of boredom.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Plenty of :stare: nautical poo poo going on in this story about the El Faro sinking: https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2018/04/inside-el-faro-the-worst-us-maritime-disaster-in-decades

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Madurai posted:

Plenty of :stare: nautical poo poo going on in this story about the El Faro sinking: https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2018/04/inside-el-faro-the-worst-us-maritime-disaster-in-decades

gently caress that

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Good read. Reminds me of reading the incident report with the USS Vincennes or similar incidents where small, minor errors keep compounding until its a big loving deal. The end of the article, reading the bridge talk as they abandon ship, is a real tough one.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
That's a pretty nice version. The actual report is more raw and gave me nightmares.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Is a badly decayed body a nicer way to say “shark food”?
Poor guys.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Probably not sharks, but everything else. Three days in the water is pretty bad, but that sounded significantly worse.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
I was under the impression that body was bashed to poo poo in addition to any decomp.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

lightpole posted:

I was under the impression that body was bashed to poo poo in addition to any decomp.

That makes more sense. Some serious wave action.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?
It kind of reminds me of the visceral horror I felt reading about the recovery of the Challenger crew. The crew cabin wasn't found until March 7th (the launch was on January 28th) and during recovery operations, one astronaut's body floated out of the crew compartment and wasn't recovered until April 15th.

They weren't wearing space suits, they were wearing flight suits with helmets, like in this crew photo.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

lightpole posted:

That's a pretty nice version. The actual report is more raw and gave me nightmares.

Charitable of the article to call it not a decrepit rust bucket considering it sounds like it had been sliced and diced and modified so much over the years too. Those Jones Act hulls live long hard lives

shovelbum fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Apr 4, 2018

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!
Reminds me of another Vanity Fair article about the totally avoidable crash of Air France 447 in 2009. I made this one required reading for my students for a while.

https://www.vanityfair.com/news/business/2014/10/air-france-flight-447-crash

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Madurai posted:

Ooof that poo poo give me chills.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.
I spent many a night pouring over weather reports and charts trying to make sure I didn't drive my sweep into some horrible weather system or another.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

ManMythLegend posted:

I spent many a night pouring over weather reports and charts trying to make sure I didn't drive my sweep into some horrible weather system or another.

How thoughtful of you.

We gave the nav team straight up briefs of the radioactive water/air plume predictions at Fukushima and asked them to maybe not drive through it. Or if we did maybe not ingest water.

They did.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Laranzu posted:

How thoughtful of you.

We gave the nav team straight up briefs of the radioactive water/air plume predictions at Fukushima and asked them to maybe not drive through it. Or if we did maybe not ingest water.

They did.

So when you die of radiation related cancer, the VA can claim that it wasn't service related :discourse:

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

orange juche posted:

So when you die of radiation related cancer, the VA can claim that it wasn't service related :discourse:

The medical radiation exposure page is suprisingly missing from my record. Weird right?

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004

shovelbum posted:

Charitable of the article to call it not a decrepit rust bucket considering it sounds like it had been sliced and diced and modified so much over the years too. Those Jones Act hulls live long hard lives

Think she was built on Sunrise Shipyards and is a sister ship or similar design to the Matsonia, if you ever reach Oakland. The hull would be fine but I know on the Matsonia they replaced entire decks, around the evap, the contaminated steam generator and elsewhere. The piping was probably rotten as well. 6 months or so before this, the 2nd on the Matsonia managed to drop the water level in the boilers while blowing tubes and lost the plant. It took them like 2-3 days to get it back online due to trouble shifting back to the main buss from the ESB. The Matsonia was also lengthened. Ship is rather stiff for a container ship and a narrower beam than you would be used to.

They also had the oil in the main sump pretty low and the suction piping wasn't midships. When they came up to switch the list and get the scuttle closed they lost LO suction. No propulsion in that and you're done.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
https://news.usni.org/2018/04/03/us...-233538645&ct=t(USNI_NEWS_DAILY)&mc_cid=d3b524cdba&mc_eid=873b9e6d60

Navy procurement eavesdropped on my, 'build an MCM tender you sillies', put it in a time machine and apparently had been building it the whole time. I hope they're listening when I say make the next class of MCM smaller with an extendable mast so it can fit inside one of these things.

Ravager, Overkill, Rumble and Laserbeak already sound like MCM names!

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

lightpole posted:

Think she was built on Sunrise Shipyards and is a sister ship or similar design to the Matsonia, if you ever reach Oakland. The hull would be fine but I know on the Matsonia they replaced entire decks, around the evap, the contaminated steam generator and elsewhere. The piping was probably rotten as well. 6 months or so before this, the 2nd on the Matsonia managed to drop the water level in the boilers while blowing tubes and lost the plant. It took them like 2-3 days to get it back online due to trouble shifting back to the main buss from the ESB. The Matsonia was also lengthened. Ship is rather stiff for a container ship and a narrower beam than you would be used to.

They also had the oil in the main sump pretty low and the suction piping wasn't midships. When they came up to switch the list and get the scuttle closed they lost LO suction. No propulsion in that and you're done.

I know its going to vary wildly between different classes of ship (and even between individual ships,) but what's a rough average sustainable list for the propulsion plant on a ship? I know 15-20° is waaaaay into shits-going-poorly territory, but I kinda figured that ships would be engineered to keep running even in that kind of situation. My knowledge of steam plants is limited to the bolted-to-the-ground variety.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
That developed as the main sump was low and the suction piping was off-center. I don't think they realized both factors contributed to the loss of suction or that it would have at the time. I think standing orders and technical manuals stated to carry a higher sump level as well but I'm not reading the report again.

That shouldn't be a common occurrence and 20 degree rolls shouldn't be a problem outside of maybe some low/high level alarms depending on SOP. I haven't thought about max rolls or sustainable list.

The C9s and some other ship classes have standings order to maintain a 1-1.5 degree list as it is.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Gangsta lean

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

New Navy enlisted dress whites look so good. The sleeves not dangling all over the drat place is so nice.

Also I must of been sleeping for the last FOREVER but i just noticed the regs say your command can OK non-steel toe boots if the command doesnt need them for safety.

Crab Dad fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Apr 6, 2018

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Ok, so when blue and when white?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Godholio posted:

Ok, so when blue and when white?

My senior chief said I could wear whites in DC when I report next week. I really should double check because lol trust.

Hawaii is year round whites.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

LingcodKilla posted:

My senior chief said I could wear whites in DC when I report next week. I really should double check because lol trust.

Hawaii is year round whites.

When in doubt blues are fine. Look at the weather and imagine how cold your nuts will be in the respective uniform before picking one.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

orange juche posted:

When in doubt blues are fine. Look at the weather and imagine how cold your nuts will be in the respective uniform before picking one.

At least I bought new whites so my nuts wont literally be on parade anymore.

loving things shrunk since I got them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia
When I was checking into Pensacola last April they gave us the option of Summer Whites or SDB for check in. Even with 2 uniform options people still messed up, the best was when a group of about 12 rolled up in their choker whites like they were going to Navy Ball.

They had to do a uniform inspection the next day.