Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonkeyFit
May 13, 2009

I got the following text today, without the URL redacted:

quote:

Thank you for serving in the Navy. We appreciate your valor & want to afford you the opportunity to return to active duty service. Please click [URL REDACTED] to help our Nation during the pandemic and take advantage of all the great benefits of being an Active Duty Sailor. Reply STOP, to stop receiving text.

I'm not even inactive reserve anymore. I got out 2.5 years ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonkeyFit
May 13, 2009
Best steak I've ever had was at Steak Salon in Sasebo.

MonkeyFit
May 13, 2009

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Speaking of submarines...

quote:

...falsified results dating back to 1990...

My boat's keel was laid in 1992.

:stare:

MonkeyFit
May 13, 2009

ded posted:

Enjoy your boat made with HY-69

Luckily, I've been out for 2.5 years, and the boat is now in shipyard anyways. But holy poo poo. Like, we already had almost zero confidence in our command and felt like we were rolling the dice whenever we went out. But to find this out afterwards. Just, holy poo poo.

MonkeyFit
May 13, 2009

Meshka posted:

Former CG here, but ours was constructed in 1965! They are still around.

But how often were they being compressed by more than 2 atmospheres of sea pressure?

MonkeyFit
May 13, 2009

ded posted:

Thats only like 34 feet or so.

:viggo:

What is that in millipedes?

MonkeyFit
May 13, 2009

ded posted:

Really hosed up for the crew tho. Everyone must be out of the extra stuff they brought with.

Can't they just order poo poo on Amazon and have relatives mail that to tye FPO address? Don't they still get mail/package deliveries on surface ships?

MonkeyFit
May 13, 2009

The Valley Stared posted:

And is Guam worth renting a car and driving around? When Fitz went out there it felt so small and dull. Everyone raved about the Brazillian steakhouse, but it was just eh.

I've heard there's a lot of fun things to do during the day, and renting a car would probably make it easier to get around the island. But we hardly ever got time off during the day whenever we pulled in, so we mostly saw bars and strip clubs.

As far as the steakhouse, you have to realize most of the people raving about it have been eating boat food for the better part of the previous 6 months.

MonkeyFit fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Jul 3, 2020

MonkeyFit
May 13, 2009

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Guam also has (or at least had) the second location (of two) for the Bremerton bar the Horse and Cow. They are pretty Navtastic.

I doubt it's going anywhere soon. Last time I was there about 3 years ago, it was still tradition to take a brow banner and sign it and leave it with them when we pulled in. They did have pretty decent bar food. And I have video of our captain on the mechanical bull.

MonkeyFit
May 13, 2009

AlternateNu posted:

.... asked me to prove how a law can be racist. :psyduck:

Has he never taken a US history course in his life?

MonkeyFit
May 13, 2009
Fleet Command/Damage Control

MonkeyFit
May 13, 2009

Nick Soapdish posted:

Funny story, true story, saw that happen to a frocked ISC at the schoolhouse (sexual harassment). Saw him later in my career when I was an IS1 and he was back as an IS1 at a numbered fleet about to retire.

We had a frocked ETN1 get caught reading an e-book on his phone in the engine room...by the XO. He got out as a 3rd class. Good guy, and normally really smart. He just made a bad decision.

MonkeyFit
May 13, 2009

Mr. Nice! posted:

Nuclear power runs on happiness transfers. As a result, all of the navy is stuck in an endless cycle trying to feed the reactors. He hates his life so why should anyone else enjoy theirs?

This is why I turned down 100k to spend another year on my boat and then go to shore duty, and just got out instead. Now I get recruiting emails asking me to go back to active duty and I just look at them and laugh at how desperate the Navy is for people.

MonkeyFit
May 13, 2009

Anita Dickinme posted:

It actually shook your command? No one on the George Washington seemed to care when we had the highest number of cases one year. I actually remember one chief saying we need to work more so we have less time at home to consider suicide.

We had a single E3 as the entirety of our supply division on my boat because everyone else left or tapped. Dude literally didn't have time to think about tapping, and the command had the gall to chew him out for falling asleep after making him sit in a hot engine room for hours during ORSE after having been up for over 24 hours. This was after months of him being solo. I'm so glad I'm out.

MonkeyFit
May 13, 2009
We had around 25 people tap out over the course of a year. Doesn't seem like much until you realize a LA class sub only has about 130ish people attached to it at any given time. And it was a mix from E3s all the way up to a couple chiefs. We always joked that Captain Marquet came and turned the ship around and then Captain Foret came and turned it right back around. Before my last deployment was the only time I ever felt the need to have a conversation with my dad about what to do with my SGLI should it get paid out. Not because I was going to do something. But the rumors and jokes of us going 3 section with the Scorpion and Thresher were rampant right before deployment. And I didn't feel it was out of the realm of possibility.

MonkeyFit
May 13, 2009
In Marquet's defense, he had the boat in the late 90s early 2000s, and it really went to poo poo around 2016 it was actually a good boat when I showed up. I just unfortunately showed up right at a peak and watched it descend into a cesspool.

MonkeyFit
May 13, 2009

orange juche posted:

Oh no I'm not ripping on Marquet, if he was actually able to turn a garbage command around like he claimed in the book then he's essentially a miracle worker, I'm ripping on the Navy and specifically the Submarine Navy's inherent desire to make everything poo poo and pain and suffering, eternally.

A lot of the same stuff seemed to be there when I was on board (at least in name. But the command was all about that book, not realizing that encouraging us to read it was maybe a poor idea, since it read like our time on the boat in reverse). But what I noticed between reading his book and the boat, is that the chiefs quarters can absolutely make or break a command almost more than any other part of the crew. Because if the chiefs actually give a poo poo about those underneath them, you can extract a poo poo ton of labor and effort, and people will be glad to put in the effort. But if they are only interested in waiting for retirement, or worse, their own careers, then the boat will suffer greatly. The captain can of course play a role in that by properly setting their expectations with the chiefs. But the chiefs still seem to play the most pivotal role. And given most people's opinions of the navy, what does that say about chief culture in the navy?

MonkeyFit
May 13, 2009

LingcodKilla posted:

So..... my normal paycheck was 5k over my regular amount. Boy oh boy I didn’t have enough issues lately can’t wait to figure this bullshit out.

I had something similar happen once. Not that much but like 1.5ish k. Turns out they had forgotten to start paying me career sea pay and then they caught it.

MonkeyFit
May 13, 2009

Proust Malone posted:

I always wondered about the arrest thing. Is the 30 days thing requirement to haul some dude in? Like if seaman schmuckatelli lives off base says gently caress you chief I’m not coming in to work so I can play Xbox, does the command have to wait 30 days before they can send the civilian authority to get him?

I'm pretty sure anyone from the command can just go get him. They just can't enlist the help of civilian law enforcement until then. And there's still a whole host of other UCMJ violations they can mast him for. Insubordination, violating a direct order, etc etc.

MonkeyFit
May 13, 2009

LingcodKilla posted:

Have him drop out of buds and get rerated as an IT with the fairy tale promise of being able to work with the SEALs as a radio bro. Once he gets to Pensacola he realizes how stupid and futile his dream is and gets dropped from his school for drinking with underage sailors and ditching a passed out girl at the local hospital. He goes to mast and gets derated and sent to fleet as undesignated. Knowing life will suck he smokes some weed to fail his piss test and get out.
Also he tries to pick a fight with a real old IT3 at the school house because he “looked at me funny”.

I can't tell if some of these stories are based on a conglomeration of dudes, or just one dude.

MonkeyFit
May 13, 2009

Hoohah posted:

Long-rear end story

It really depends on the command. We had a cook not show up the day we were going underway for a dependents cruise, 4 days after a month at sea for RimPac. Nobody knows where he is, calls are going nowhere, nobody at his barracks room. We're not waiting on him so we head out. On our way through the channel, we get a call from Base Chaplain saying they got a message from him saying he wasn't coming back to the boat. So the command calls his mom in Baltimore to see if she knew where he was. She said, "Yeah he's here." Dude had enough bullshit and just hopped on a plane from Hawaii to Baltimore.

So he comes back, and they make him set up the ward room for his own mast. Some background, he was a good dude, but not the brightest lite brite bulb in the box. He was perpetually dinq fish. Captain asks him why he did it. And then it comes out. Since the mandatory 4 hours of extra study time every night wasn't helping him qualify faster, the chiefs decided that he could at least be productive if he wasn't going to get smarter. So they made him clean. For 4 loving hours everyday. On top of his normal work day that also included cleaning. Most of the crew had no idea this was happening, nor did the captain. This poor dude's life was working, studying, cleaning, some sleep, and that's it. Literally nothing else, nothing to wind down. For well over a month. So the captain dismissed him, and then not only proceeded to chew out the chiefs, but also explained to the crew that it was unacceptable.

So in short, punishment will depend largely on the command. Even drunk driving can get swept under the rug as long as nobody outside the command caught them.

MonkeyFit
May 13, 2009
Earlier that year we had someone jump ship. Doing unassisted landings and one of the topside line handlers went overboard. We had been doing man overboard drills earlier in the day, so I didn't think anything of the announcement until I realized we had been doing unassisted landings next to the pier. Eventually the story came back of what had happened.

This dude had just had enough, pulled the auto inflate on his life vest. Guys around him heard it and asked if he was alright. He apparently let out a heavy sigh and then took a running leap off the sub into the water. He began backstroking to the pier, and half way there, double hand flipped off the sail, where the Captain was observing, and shouted, "gently caress you guys I tap!" He got to the pier, climbed up the latter and began walking towards the gate.

One of the guys we had left on shore that were doing the pierside line handling finally got him to atop and talk to them. We went back out to sea for 2 weeks, and he went to mast with the commodore. They sent him right back to the boat after we pulled back in, and he finished the rest of his tour without further incident.

The Tappening was a crazy year for that boat.

MonkeyFit
May 13, 2009

maffew buildings posted:

My old unit had senior enlisted leadership on multiple occasions over the years tell P.O.'s to police our people better so that they didn't try and kill themselves and that we aren't making the work enough so they're using the idle time to think about killing themselves. The current state of affairs is exacerbating an existing problem that never got dealt with right to begin with.

It's definitely a thing that people don't get time to actually evaluate their options, up to and including killing themselves. Unfortunately, you can only run people for so long like that before they finally just break and stop. And then they suddenly have a little time to think about it, and killing themselves is the easiest answer. Because if they've been treated that poorly by the command, why would they answer any calls for help?

I mean, the one time I tried asking for help, I got threatened with Mast for malingering. Had I been in any right frame of mind, I probably could have ended the careers of half my chain of command. And I regret not doing it.

MonkeyFit
May 13, 2009
You will also need separation orders to schedule your move with the Navy. I had to have the company hiring me move me because the Navy didn't want to get me separation orders until the same meeting with PSD to get my DD-214 on my EAOS.

MonkeyFit
May 13, 2009

cubivore posted:

Here's another question for you guys:

How would going about seeing a non-military therapist/psychiatrist go, especially when it comes to medication?

I suspect I have ADHD, have had people suggest it to me, etc, whatever. I tried to go about setting up an on-base appointment but the waiting line just to be seen for the first time was like 2 months, and I was about to go on deployment, so... then we came back, and it slipped my mind, and now I'm on deployment again. I've heard the waiting times for base psychiatry are even longer now, because of the pandemic and all that.

Secondly, I'm also stationed overseas, Japan specifically, so that probably throws another wrench onto how this all would work.

I got diagnosed after I got out. I have no idea how I made it through my time in without a diagnosis and treatment. But as little as 5mg of Adderall is enough to help me just focus better and pay attention to what people are actually saying. I felt the slightest thing when I took my very first dose. But afterwards I don't get any high or anything. I'm just able to focus better which helps me in my job better.

MonkeyFit
May 13, 2009

Lou Takki posted:

It's been my experience that the quality of the food on a ship is inversely proportional to the tonnage of said ship.

Best food I ever ate on a Navy vessel was inside a landing craft with a 9 person crew. Worst food is consistently on big decks(for the enlisted anyways). Officers have it pretty good across all the platforms I've sailed on so far.

I've never done submarines though so I can't speak to that.

We got sent food rejected by the department of corrections. Literally. I mean, the surface ships probably did as well, but since food loads on a sub are all hands, we got to see the stamps on the boxes coming down.

The potential for the food to be decent is there. Unless you have lovely leadership in CS div and CS div as a whole doesn't care. We once had a meal with zero flavor. There was mac and cheese in that meal. No flavor. Just texture. I honestly have no idea how he managed it, and in retrospect, I'm actually impressed. But it was also the only time a significant portion of the crew didn't bother finishing what was on their plate. Because bad flavor is better than no flavor.

MonkeyFit
May 13, 2009

Nick Soapdish posted:

I always loved working night shift during the deployment because breakfast was always something that was exactly what it should be and was never super great but was never horrible. Dinner was always a crap shoot and MIDRATS were just peanut butter packets, snakes, or something our jg would get for us from the wardroom.

What made breakfast great was when they put tortillas out. I have no idea why, but wrapping breakfast in a tortilla with hot sauce made it like 3 times better.

MonkeyFit
May 13, 2009

Arione posted:

Hey all, Been a hot minute since I posted here. Made it back to shore duty, married now, no crotch goblins to speak of so married life is nice. Made E6 on my ship but went to NJP twice for stupid poo poo and got busted 4 months before I transferred. I'll be in 11 years at the end of this tour and I wont be eligible for E6 again until then. Kinda thinking of getting out. Pretty sure one of my old LT's stalks the forums, if so, you were cool, a dick, but cool. Shop went to poo poo when you left.

What are the benefits of staying in?

MonkeyFit
May 13, 2009

SerthVarnee posted:

Thread title right there.

gently caress yeah.

MonkeyFit
May 13, 2009

piL posted:

On one hand, bows are a smaller target than a deer, but on the other hand, they don't move, so they're probably easier to shoot. :dadjoke:

It really depends on where you're hunting them. They can get pretty massive in the shipping ports and naval ports, but shooting ones that big can be pretty dangerous. It's a lot less dangerous to hunt bows at a smaller private marina.

MonkeyFit
May 13, 2009

Susa posted:

They command assigned our new psych tech to the urology clinic and my two chiefs have effectively done nothing about it for two month and we are massively undermanned, Part of me wants to get out but the other half naively things I can help this clown fiesta still.

Nah. Time to get out. You can only help if the command is willing to actually support your efforts. But it sounds like you're just sweeping the desert.

MonkeyFit
May 13, 2009

Lou Takki posted:

Getting out of the Navy is about 100 times more paperwork and pain than reenlisting would be. Totally worth it.

Pretty sure that's entirely by design. We had 2 guys in my taps class decide to reenlist because they didn't want to do all the bullshit. So the Navy is basically encouraging lazy to stay in.

MonkeyFit
May 13, 2009

ded posted:

being a fully qualified sts2(ss) was full on skate mode

I wish I could say being ETN2(SS) was the best but my boat didn't believe in leaving anyone behind. So you were hot racking until you made 1st. In fact, it was only when the rack bill coordinator told the chiefs that 1st classes would have to hot rack that they would considering leaving anyone on shore.

MonkeyFit
May 13, 2009

ded posted:

what in the holy loving christ?! i was able to not have to hotrack pretty much soon as i was a qualified e-3.

My time on my boat was like reading Turn the Ship Around in reverse. That boat went to poo poo and before my last deployment, the EDMC and COB had to pull all of us topside and tell us to knock it off with the "jokes" about going 3 section with the Thresher and Scorpion.

MonkeyFit
May 13, 2009
First classes hot racking was when they started considering it. There were still plenty of times that more junior 1sts would be hot racking. Honestly we probably just couldn't keep people on board long enough to make it a so that more 1sts were hot racking. In a one year period, we had roughly 25 people tap. Ranging from nubs to even a couple chiefs.

MonkeyFit
May 13, 2009
As far as I know, even the surface ship schedules are need-to-know basis. A clearance only means you can know the stuff you need to know. We had an admiral tour our sub and there were still places they weren't allowed to go, despite holding much higher clearances than needed for those spaces. Granted, that was a sub. Maybe one of the surface guys could chime in with whether things are different for surface fleet.

MonkeyFit
May 13, 2009
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/indonesian-submarine-53-sailors-presumed-dead-navy-says-vessel-sunk-n1265179

Indonesia lost a submarine. Debris was found well below crush depth. I hope it was quick. :(

MonkeyFit
May 13, 2009
I'm aware. This is a better outcome than coming to rest on a shallow part of the ocean and running out of O2. Still sucks that it happened.

MonkeyFit
May 13, 2009
Oh weird. I wonder why they're having trouble getting people to join.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonkeyFit
May 13, 2009

Anita Dickinme posted:

English is the dumbest language.

"The problem with defending the purity of the English language is that English is about as pure as a cribhouse whore. We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary." - James D. Nicoll