Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

I have been out for almost three years and I still have dumb dreams about being out to sea that usually involve filling out paperwork.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

TIL there's such thing as a Tennessee Muzzleloader

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

Jimmy4400nav posted:

Got less than a week now until I head to OCS. All I want for the new year is to not be the annoying new ensign.

FRESH MEAT

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Can I get in the Navy if I have a DEP discharge from the Army from 2014 or will they laugh me out?

Possibly. I got in the Navy with a DEP discharge from the Air Force and I only waited two months.

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

M_Gargantua posted:

Now that's a story I don't remember. How would they have legally docked your pay?

It's hosed up, but if I was a terminal JO with chronic ball pain I'd probably have paid as well just to get it over with and get medsepped.

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

I bet a taco truck could make bank selling fidget spinners on the side

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

Zeris posted:

Whoa whoa whoa, you're allowed to masturbate on boats?

don't ask, don't tell

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

LogicalFallacy posted:

Good day goons. Thought I'd go ahead and introduce myself here and acquaint myself with the place, as I have just signed up for the Navy. Current MOS is AECF, though I should be getting reclassed as NUC in the next week or so.

I am open to any suggestions or hints on poo poo that's a drat good idea to do/take care of before I go to basic in May.

Hi!
How old are you? What are your long-term goals? What are your plans between now and shipping out?

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

LogicalFallacy posted:

Well, I did not expect quite as much of an... exuberant response. Fwiw I am 26 and me going nuke is highly dependent on my age waiver going through. Either way I plan on doing ET, so I do figure on having transferable skills once I get out, assuming I don't re-enlist.

I don't know at this point if I want to do career military, which my brother is super gung-ho about right now, or if I plan on trying to find civilian work after this tour.

As for what I'm doing in the time before basic, it's mostly getting into a reasonable shape where I can survive boot camp and rounding out the few credits I need so that I can still go in as an E3 even if I stay AECF.

Is your brother military? If so, what does he do?

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I would probably recommend against going HT unless you're really into that poo poo.

:drat:

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

Anyway, how long has your brother been in? I'm trying to figure out his perspective. How does he feel about you possibly going into the nuke program?

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

Also:

LogicalFallacy posted:

[...] rounding out the few credits I need so that I can still go in as an E3 even if I stay AECF.

What are you going to school for? What interests you?

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

LogicalFallacy posted:

Eh, I trust that y'all do know what you're talking about, and if all the paperwork to get me into nuke goes through and I end up hating life and everything in a year or so, I'll happily let the thread say "I told you so." I do know the liaison I met with at my MEPS loving loves AECF, so who knows if he's even pushing all that hard to get me into nuke. (Though everyone else in the office was more for me going nuke)

And for the chap who asked, my brother's been in about 3 years now I believe.

Full disclosure: I was an AT (aviation electronics technician, the dudes who fix the computers on the airplanes). I did a single enlistment of five and a half years. That's four years plus a year extension for an enlistment bonus and a six month extension for medical reasons. I didn't hate it. After I finished, I got out and went back to school for computer engineering on the taxpayer's dime and now I work a relaxing 9-5 job writing software.

Reasons I joined:
- I hosed up at school my first time around
- I was in debt
- I needed to "accelerate my life" out of a personal and financial downward spiral

I have zero regrets about joining the Navy. It cost me five and a half years of my life, but I learned a lot and got some cool stories and made sure to use the gently caress out of my GI Bill benefits when I got out. I get to say that because I was not a nuke. What are your reasons for joining? What did your brother do before enlisting to be a plumber?

Anyway, If the nuke paperwork goes through and you sign it for some reason, remember: you can ask to be discharged from DEP and still join another branch if you truly want it.

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

LogicalFallacy posted:

Let's put it this way. Y'all can commence the well-pissing now.

ninja edit: Though if I find out I'm too old or some poo poo like that, I'd like the rope please.

Do you owe somebody money? Is there a problem you think you’re going to solve with that signing bonus? Are you one of those people who believe there’s honor in suffering and that you need to self-flagellate in order to find your truest self?

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

Jimmy4400nav posted:

I've only been the mall down here in Pensacola a handful of times and I swear to god I see at least a half dozen dudes and chicks rocking this look. Whats in those bags? Also why wear the dress uniform to the mall, are they not allowed to wear civvies or something?

When I was at A-school in Pensacola we had to wear dress blues off base for the first couple weeks before getting our liberty cards. It was dogshit, especially since there wasn’t a legit navy fed branch at NATTC so if you wanted to do any banking or get your poo poo in order after getting there you had to suit up like a dickhead.

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

Unrelated: I have been out for three and a half years. I have a degree and a career and not a care in the world now. My IRR time ended in 2016.

At least once a week, I have a dream that I’m either on the ship, late for something, or that some paperwork got hosed up or some legislation passed that results in me having to reenlist and go back to the ship. Usually it ends up with me being bitter as hell during the dream because I thought I finished. I have to wake up before I’m convinced it isn’t real, even though there are ridiculous elements like traveling forward and aft via a water slide on the mess decks. Is this my dream life now?

edit: poo poo, I've posted this before. It hasn't gotten better, I guess

MancXVI fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Nov 7, 2017

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

Jimmy4400nav posted:

Ouch, that sucks, when you were waiting for A-school did they make you guys do sweepers at the API building? When I was going through I usually saw some airmen and rescue swimmer aspirants sweeping/moving crap/standing random I.D checks in the hallway and felt bad so I'd sneak them candy bars when no one was looking.

Mostly just the barracks, plus some of us were put on working parties for MWR maintenance and such. I helped build a deck at the bowling alley on Corry, it was surprisingly chill.

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

I was on TPU for about a month while transitioning to limdu and it ruled. My responsibilities were as follows:

- muster at PSD in the morning
- don’t be late for doctor’s appointments

I highly recommend it (minus the transitioning to limdu part!)

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

SquirrelyPSU posted:

I always have this dream where I can be like the avionics tech rep on an aircraft carrier, make friends with the FCs and gain access to their sponsons and not have a chain of command outside of Corporate.

I think I know the exact dude you’re referring to and that’s basically the best way to be on an aircraft carrier

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

Meydey posted:

Lurker here: As someone who went to Orlando for boot camp back in the day, who the gently caress would got to Great Lakes in Dec?
Give me drilling in our peacoats in 80 degree weather over snow and poo poo all day.

And yes, went in as Nuke, played dumb in A school and managed to get sent to OS school in Dam Neck instead. Kept E-3 to boot, but was the only one with red stripes in class.

Could you point out on a map where exactly you remember living and going (landmarks, paths, etc) when you were at boot camp? I live pretty close to where it used to be and I’m curious which areas and buildings are still original. I sometimes walk around Lake Baldwin and I feel like that would have been prime real estate for running recruits.

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

I’ll fix the airplane computers but only as a contractor

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

Whidbey has its moments. I would live there again but only if I was married with kids. The summers are incredible but the winters are bad enough to cause vitamin d deficiencies and divorces and jumping off deception pass (edit: ask me how I know about the first two). Get in a squadron that deploys in October and comes back around May and you’re golden.

MancXVI fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Mar 27, 2018

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

I read the first few chapters of How to Win Friends and Influence People and it’s nuts how basic some of the advice is, like “if you treat your employees like people instead of berating them they might work harder” yet apparently this book was super influential. I guess a bunch of bosses back in the stone age thought people *liked* being treated like poo poo at work.

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

I remember we had these chip cards that you could transfer money to from a bank account to use in vending machines. We could also do chip-to-chip transactions for ~our shipboard craigslist~, really kept the grey market going.

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

lol if you even own a razor

e:

MancXVI fucked around with this message at 15:13 on May 12, 2018

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

A White Guy posted:

Hey Navy thread. I'm reading through the Army thread and literally everyone there has hosed up (insert joints/limbs here). I preaume its from years of carrying too much poo poo too far and then doing poo poo PT l, but it raised the possibility in my mind that maybe joining the military is not the best gameplan for my long term health. My father was in the navy for 21, and he now has two fake knees and a fake hip, though my understanding is that the hosed up limbs are from playing navy football.

I've been thinking of commissioning after my time in the CCC is finished, provided that I don't get offered a sweet gig as a C1. If that doesn't happen, I need to find some way to pay for my masters and because I'm too old to piggyback on dads GI bill like I did during college, my own GI bill sounds like an excellent idea.

So, I guess my question is: How mqny of you are carrying around lifelong joint problems/mental problems from years of doing navy poo poo?

I got hip surgery right before I got out. It was because I had extra bone growth on my femoral head and acetabulum which got aggravated by the Navy and caused a labral tear. I was an AT and I fixed avionics in an air conditioned shop. No job is safe

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

If he’s going TAD to the ship for cruise then he shouldn’t be cranking.

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

Davethulu: what’s his rate? Is he stationed at an FRC and going to a carrier to work somewhere in AIMD?

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

Nick Soapdish posted:

Tell that to the Imagery dude that got sent cranking. I still feel bad that those ONI and Fallon Get guys got hosed since they checked into the ship and not the PHIBRON. Too bad I was the senior enlisted for N2 as a IS1 and the ship had a Senior Chief.

Dang, that sucks. When I was SEAOPDET we were given explicit instructions to notify our shore command if the ship tried to gently caress with us.

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

Jimmy4400nav posted:

Well, looks like my orders finally popped, I got VP-9 over in Whidbey. Can't wait to move back to the beautiful big grey skies of the Northwest.

Now I just gotta figure out how to move my cat cross country.

I had a good experience with Alaska Airlines when I got out, their pet policy is reasonable and they had a direct flight from SEA all the way to FLL. I don't know exactly where you're flying from but that's about as cross-country as it gets.

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

Hypothetical q: how do I get a job as the MWR sword guy?

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

Posted by a dude I used to work with:

quote:

I just had my CPO tell me to violate a lawful, written order from the Commanding Officer,( PG13 for COVID-19). In My area all Barbershops are closed by order of the Governor. Even our NEX barbershop is closed indefinitely. Big Navy sent the message out to relax grooming standards to mitigate exposure to COVID-19. I asked her to speak to the CMC about this issue. Instead of addressing my concerns, she just belittled me and told me that so-and-so barbershop is still taking appointments, you just need to work it out. “We have Sailors in our Command that cut hair, talk the them”.. Once again, instead of actually putting in the work, I was encouraged to Break a Lawful Order.

:chiefsay:

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

IncredibleIgloo posted:

When were yall on? I was there for like 2006 to 2007 or so, when we did a Westpac cruise before transferring to the Bush for precomm. Left right as things were starting to get bad in the yards at PSNS.

I was seaopdet in AIMD, did a westpac 2010-2011 and a world cruise 2011-2012.

SquirrelyPSU worked in some shop that was accessible through the head in my berthing and we knew a lot of the same people, but we never actually met.

edit: or was that the other dude, i don't remember

MancXVI fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Apr 10, 2020

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

CWO5 Crabdad

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

At least part of the DoD recognizes part of the problem: https://innovation.defense.gov/software/

I recommend

- Vignette 3 – Making It Hard to Help: A Self-Denial of Service Attack for the SWAP Study
- DIB Guide: Detecting Agile BS
- Vignette 6 – JMS: Seven Signs That Your Software (Program) Is in Trouble

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

Thought of something: what’s the specific set of messages or instructions or whatever from the mid-to-late 2000s that ushered in the “kinder, gentler navy” that all the old dickheads reminisced about? I remember some people lamenting about not being able to do fan room counseling or drive drunk with impunity any more but I never found out where the turning point was.

(edit: i am reasonably sure they were all full of poo poo)

MancXVI fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Jun 5, 2022

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

Crab Dad posted:

Well gently caress I finally got my start date for my gs11 position in the yards…

I’ve accomplished all my goals I set when I joined the reserves.

gently caress. Time to go back to school or something and make new goals.

Hekk posted:

You should enlist in the Marine Corps. You get E-2 out of boot camp for being prior service.

I need someone to help keep the USMC thread alive and I am getting old.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

is this the part where we all piss in the well