Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
I'm legit surprised how many snow days we've had this year. I think I had almost an inch of snow this morning. Those adhoc warnings basically just tell me I'm telecommuting today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

The AF sent me a form once a year to update my address, and the only time I got contacted for a muster was when they were about to start up a new reserve maintenance squadron at the nearby base. Instead of targeting maintainers, they just mustered anyone IRR in the area. So I made a couple hundred bucks to sit through a powerpoint slideshow and listen to an O-6 and E-9 talk about how great this new F-35 unit will be.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Mine was at the mobility building at the nearby base.

Edit: The map they sent out led you to a building next to the Q, almost 2 miles away.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Once you get settled, you'll wake up and realize it's loving wonderful. You're just way out of your comfort zone for the moment.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

My nigga have you tried CONTRACTING?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Laranzu posted:

So much of my DTS experience is wrapped up with my opinions of the travel claim approver civilian.

This individual was literally the size of the hallways and if she decided she didn't like you, your claim was hosed. Forever.

It's amazing how many of these people exist.

Thronde posted:

DTS is fine by me, it's the fact I'm required to get a GTC to go to a school required for my billet. Like, what the gently caress? Just pay for the poo poo and send me. I don't understand why there needs to be an interest earning account tied to this costing the military more for the sake of accountability or whatever bullshit excuse they want to use.

Because now the military doesn't have to pay interest when Pvt Fucknuts doesn't file his voucher within the 5 day requirement.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

God the flag isn't racist guys it's just a battle flag learn your history y'all ignorant

The appropriate response to this is that it's the battle flag of an enemy of the United States, traitor.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

vulturesrow posted:

The only way to go wrong at this point is by picking P-3s.

:lol:

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Better than wearing a diaper or pissing into a bag.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

vulturesrow posted:

I'm a Prowler guy, I had a relief tube. :smug: But yes now I have to pee in a bag if I need to go while I'm flying. I actually like A-10 drivers, CJ drivers, and AWACS dudes. Compass Calls are EW brothers of course. I mostly like AWACS guys because I hate the way they get poo poo on at every Red Flag debrief ever for stuff that was in no way their fault. I saw a 1LT get savaged at one and then of the F-22 guys stood up and basically gave that rear end in a top hat the business for making GBS threads on the 1LT for no reason. It was pretty awesome.

My first RF really hammered home the lesson of "At least SOUND confident and like you know what you're talking about." It helps if you're good but unless you royally gently caress up, just sounding like you know you were right will divert most of those BS spears.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Make sure you stop by the Top Gun gift shop when you come to Fallon.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

I honestly thought that was Welsh.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

:lol: After tonight, yeah they'll probably take you if you roll into the office in a wheelchair.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Russia has also announced they're dropping the deconfliction line. Basically, their air defenses wouldn't engage anything that stayed on the other side of the line, like US aircraft. So that's a not-even-veiled threat and by far the most interesting development.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Mr. Nice! posted:

They cost him his flag in the long run.

I don't remember this part.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

My moves have ranged from a week to about 6. And in that 6 week PCS my poo poo was in seven shipping crates, six of which arrived. The seventh, which contained one of the legs to my desk and 1/3 of my couch, showed up almost 3 weeks later.

Edit: I'm a big fan of partial DITY. Take everything that matters or that you don't want to vanish. I've had a lot of poo poo vanish or get smashed over the years. Guns, computers, papers and enough clothes to get by all come with me in the car.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Nah, most likely local clinic will have the application, if you don't get it online, and and have a courier that runs it to the VA. That's the extent of it. They won't do all the "official" stuff, getting an ID, etc. I think I had to fax mine (yes fax they don't accept email of course) because someone lost it along the way

I could be wrong, but branch clinics are generally just a regular ol' doctors office that may have a psychiatrist/psychologist and do very minimal VA stuff

I got my ID card at a VA outpatient clinic. The old man entered my info directly into their system, not an online thing.

EFB

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Coffee chat: Found out our coffee mess requires a memorandum to be submitted a full day prior for anyone to actually make loving coffee.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

M_Gargantua posted:

Have you tried mumbling "gently caress the police" while brewing coffee whenever you drat well please? That seemed to work when I was in.

Same thing with loving sonar techs 'cleaning' the heads (playing on their loving DS's) trying to tell me I can't shower when i've got 4 hours to catch sleep before I need to be on watch again.

:lol: Like I'm gonna loving do it.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

The greatest threat to American naval operations is NMCI.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

I still get multiple emails daily from NMCI telling me that poo poo doesn't work and there's no estimate on when service will be restored.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Wingnut Ninja posted:

I've been trying for a while to think of a snarky sarcastic counter-proposal for something like contract maintenance or the like, but I honestly can't. It's NMCI, absolutely. I'm not even going to get into all the myriad ways that NMCI is awful, just... gently caress NMCI. Forever.

:lol: I actually got an email to fill out a survey on their service today. Nobody will ever read it, but it was fun. My final sentence was "It's the 21st century, maybe we should act like it."

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Why would he not be able to apply for a passport? Does Navy OCS not allow off-base privileges at any point? Hell, he can probably do it at the base post office, if it's a real one.

Travel overseas...he'll need to apply for leave, probably have to explain to his command why he wants to go overseas, and report it so it's on his security clearance record. The USAF would allow a new O-1 to go in the hole on leave for a few days because obviously you can't have much saved up yet...assuming the Navy does something similar, and assuming the people that need to sign his paperwork aren't assholes, and assuming it's not already too late for a passport to be issued, it's a solid maybe. The timing is probably going to be a pain, because his leave will probably need to go through his gaining command at Pensacola so he'll have to report there before getting any kind of permission.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

I missed the "China" part, but I've known a couple of people who've gone in the past couple of years. Whether a new O-1 will get that approved vs an O-3/O-4 is a whole different question.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Out of curiosity, did you guys ever get to do any training with the air wing prior to cruise? Or just whatever comes up later?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Oof. Christ, Navy.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Idk why people in GIP are always like "eh I should have applied for disability LOL oh well!"

🤔 it's--free--money you're entitled to

Sure, if your doctors actually wrote stuff down. Apparently my hearing and knees are fine! That perpetual EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE is nothing to worry about.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Catch Me If You Can 2

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Jesus, hell of a job saving that ship. And from the pictures, she came into harbor with far less of a list and riding much higher than the initial images/video.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

I get that these things don't move all that fast, but turning away for 10 minutes doesn't make sense to me. I don't see how they could've been on a collision course at the beginning and end of that.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Best case for the captain is that he retires at his current rank.

Worst case is prison.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Zeris posted:

I was in the Army and both Afghanistan deployments saw some kind of really bad fuckup. Every time, the commanders throw the enlisted under the bus and give themselves letters of reprimand at the very absolute worst except for one O-3 who let his entire company torture POWs and that commander was let go with an other than honorable discharge. I think officers in the army would be less psychotically stupid if they had to be accountable in the same way naval officers are.

What's the career impact of an LOR? In the Air Force you are done. The only way to get out faster is via court martial.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

^Thanks for posting what you can.

The Valley Stared posted:

LORs stay with you, but depending on when you get it, it can vary as to how it will impact your career. Generally, don't expect to get much further though.

Interesting. The only person I ever knew who didn't make O-3 on time (until they actually held boards for it) was passed over based on an LOC, which is much less severe.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Jun 28, 2017

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

mlmp08 posted:

It depends in the Army. If you're about to be up for promotion and it isn't filed locally, but is in your record, you're not getting promoted and will probably be separated from service on your above-zone look for promotion (with full severance pay, mind you, if you've got 6 or more years in). If they hold an officer separation board, because they need numbers down, you're easy pickings for early separation (again, with severance if you have over 6 years in). But let's say you just made O-4 and aren't up for O-5 for years and years? You won't make O-5 ever and will be a pariah, but barring an officer separation board, which is a Department of the Army thing, rather than a local command thing, you can hang out as the dumbass who got in trouble for years on end, unless the letter of reprimand occurs in conjunction with some other form of separation chapter. So I know of an O-4 who is just tucked away in some basement with a dead-end job due to a DUI, because he refuses to get out until he has a solid job offer, but the command didn't quite want to chapter him for bad conduct. On the other hand, I knew an O-3 who was separated early without severance for sleeping with one of his enlisted soldiers administratively as a sort of plea deal to let him avoid UCMJ charges.

I've known a lot of dumbass LTs who ended up with local letters that didn't hurt them too much in the long run, but were held to be put into evidence if they hosed up again and the command wanted to separate them from service and wanted extra paperwork to show they were a serial screwup.

We do the "shove it in a drawer as a threat thing" with LOCs, but if you did something worthy of an LOR you're hosed. Anything you've got that's already in the drawer is going right to your records along with it. Interesting to hear about these little differences.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Anita Dickinme posted:

I definitely lost some hearing running holdback on those F35s for a month straight back in August. Hook me up with them bluetooth hearing aids. :pray:

Make sure you get this written in your loving medical records.

My hearing loss wasn't.

:(

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Greetings fellow failed hearing test buddy.

MAKE SURE IT'S IN YOUR RECORDS. According to mine, I never suffered any degradation and there's no reference to the test failure.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Nearest 70mm theater is almost 3 hours way, in another state.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

That's basically true.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

GRAB HER BY THE PUSSY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Edit: Actually this was the wrong answer anyway.