Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Every step, a fucking adventure.

Dorstein posted:

I'm amazed they actually picked the reasonable small boy design. Good job Fincantieri lobbyists!

It's 3/4 the weight and 50 ft short of burke.

Seems pretty big no?

piL posted:

Personally, I think it was when we emphasized survivability over lethality and got bigger than an LCS instead of smaller.
If this is true across levels (i.e. not just the hull, but engineering and combat systems) then this might be exactly what we need and I'll be bullish.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FFG(X)#/media/File:Proposed_Government_Furnished_Equipment_for_FFG(X).png

I have a hard time seeing how the requirement for mk 41 32 VLS, 8 (16 objective) NSMs and spare power for a 150kw laser would fit in a smaller platform than the LCS. Also, these requirements seem quite a bit more lethal than either the LCS or the "up-gunned" LCS that was discussed for some time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Madurai posted:

Does the NSM have a tri-service number? RGM-something? Or have we just ditched that system entirely?

Google says
https://www.navalnews.com/naval-news/2019/10/nsm-naval-strike-missile-now-has-a-u-s-navy-designation/

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

DustyNuts posted:

Endless subdivision, cultureless, strip mall hell.

So - most of America.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Nick Soapdish posted:

I mean, one was an enemy mine and one is a pier-side fire, I could see them decomming a non-combat casualty streets ahead of a combat casualty

I'm guessing it's more of a fiscal issue. What would it take to repair LHD-6 that's now 22 years since commission vs adding an additional buy on the LHA line. The Roberts was pretty early into it's service life which was the tail end of the FFG line and no immediate FFG replacement line.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

piL posted:

Has anyone seen any literature on this phenomena of how hard it is to actually make these systems work in the dod cyber beauracracy?

GAO type reports can sometimes - enlighten your world, but my assumption is anything current is going to be FOUO or higher. There have been case studies on various USG IT projects that have gone off the rails.

This one in particular has some good reports. https://www.infoworld.com/article/2672020/anatomy-of-an-it-disaster--how-the-fbi-blew-it.html

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

cubivore posted:

Hi Navygoons. I have a little less than a year left so I'd like to ask advice about what I should do, what I should look into, etc.

I'm stationed overseas and before I joined I came from a poor junkheap family so I don't have the faintest clue about how college works or anything. At least I'm going to leave with no debt and a good amount of savings, so I don't feel bad about it.

I don't have any certs or anything though I'm in a technical/computer-related rate, and I've been studying Python/C++ in my spare time. I'd like to get into programming related work afterwards but I really have no idea how any of this works, since I don't have programmer nerd friends or family. Thanks for any advice you can spare.

If you decide to not go down the programming road, throwing at a link for DOS FS gig: https://www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/565821000 based on your .mil experience.

You do mostly spend your career OCONUS, and occasionally you may find yourself working in such gems as Benghazi, so buyer beware. But, you can also get 3 year gigs in London with paid housing so...

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

MrYenko posted:

I have an old-payscale Operations Manager (so, guesstimate ~$180k/yr gross after locality and everything) who seems to be convinced that they’re going to be able to pick up a similar salary in the private sector (where no one is hiring without proof of vaccination.)

:byewhore:

If my guy quits over this, I'm 99% sure a "card" will materialize for his next job, assuming it's not for uncle sam.

So loving stupid

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Do you call, say, Mexico "the Mexico" too?

Yes, the United Mexican States similar to why we also use "the" when in reference to the U.S.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

That's not what I was talking about though. Or do you actually use the phrase "the Mexico" verbatim? What about "the Canada" or "the Sweden"?

My point is, if you're discussing the significance of Ukraine dropping the English article "the", "Mexico" isn't the best example, because the official name of "Mexico" would likely be correct to use "the" i.e. Estados Unidos Mexicanos (which would probably be said los Estados Unidos Mexicanos), and that has it's own history around the official name vs colloquial name. https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/mexico-is-technically-the-united-mexican-states-and-isnt-too-happy-about-it-143048853/ "Mexico" has a little bit of a challenge in that when we usually reference say, "Germany" it traces back to Federal Republic of Germany whereas you get Mexican or States with "Mexico". Estados Unidos Mexicanos is also a little similar to Estados Unidos de America, which has it's own issues.