Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Wrong thread ignore me!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

orange juche posted:

Counterpoint, THE ORDER OF THE SWORD

Ya'll have a ceremony where you worship anime swords.

Having a hard time not thinking this owns

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Dingleberry posted:

Merchant ship story;

Wa on a ro-ro with loving terrible stewards and chief cook. They would put a tray of cold cuts in the fridge every night for the late watches. But they would not change out cold cuts, just add to them, therefore tray of rancid cold cuts sat in fridge for days and days. An AB took the tray one day and thru it overboard. The cook was pissed because he used his "nice" silver platter.
I lost 20 lbs in under 90 days on that thing. First port that I had time to eat was in Morocco... I ate like I'd never eat again.
Also, the cook would take spoiled milk and mix it with fresh milk in pitchers for the crew to use, to make it go further.
No one used milk until we got restocked with ultrapasturized goat milk in Kuwait.
I developed a complex lasting years that every time i went to a new boat I'd no poo poo bring like $500 bucks worth of cliff bars, meal replacement shakes, etc to make sure I wasn't gonna starve.

Jesus christ the health violations here

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

If they are that desperate for nukes they aren't going to deny your paperwork. LOL RIP

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

The allure of the Rod!

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

MancXVI posted:

Unrelated: I have been out for three and a half years. I have a degree and a career and not a care in the world now. My IRR time ended in 2016.

At least once a week, I have a dream that I’m either on the ship, late for something, or that some paperwork got hosed up or some legislation passed that results in me having to reenlist and go back to the ship. Usually it ends up with me being bitter as hell during the dream because I thought I finished. I have to wake up before I’m convinced it isn’t real, even though there are ridiculous elements like traveling forward and aft via a water slide on the mess decks. Is this my dream life now?

edit: poo poo, I've posted this before. It hasn't gotten better, I guess

It goes away, at least it did for me.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

It's hard to tell. There are people out there that like to "dig in their heels" because they derive satisfaction in doing these things and being "unique and interesting" enough to triumph under these circumstances. They some how only got or get attention and affirmation from this stuff. A god drat tragedy in this case though. There is nothing to win here.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

They might want to lower that bar for retentions sake

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Man the navy is weird. CO for a month, asleep in the bunk, get negligent homicide charges, take responsibility for systemic naval staffing and mission problems. I'm gonna guess its hard to get volunteers to captain a ship?

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Order a lot of Poutine but act astonished at how good it is there, and how surprised you are to find it outside of Vancouver.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

MancXVI posted:

I read the first few chapters of How to Win Friends and Influence People and it’s nuts how basic some of the advice is, like “if you treat your employees like people instead of berating them they might work harder” yet apparently this book was super influential. I guess a bunch of bosses back in the stone age thought people *liked* being treated like poo poo at work.

Still happening to this day!

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Hey, that'd make a great new slogan.

America's Military: a convenient excuse to do nothing to try and improve anything.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

RE-ENLISTMENT SELFIE

Never thought I'd see an SRB that big as a Tomahawker.

Is Greg Proops your father? Tell him I'm a fan

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Y'all should probably invest in some britas

quote:

A 2013 investigative report produced by the Navy inspector general, obtained through a Freedom of Information Act request, reveals "shortfalls in the oversight and management of drinking water for Navy personnel stationed overseas—even in wealthy, developed countries." The report concludes that "not a single Navy overseas drinking water system meets U.S. compliance standards" or the Navy's own governing standards," according to POGO.

https://psmag.com/environment/what-happened-at-camp-lejeune

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Anita Dickinme posted:

I like the idea of doing 20 years and retiring but there’s literally nothing about the Navy I like. It’s just something I’m exploring which is why I’m asking about it. Maybe if we had a pub on our aircraft carriers I wouldn’t mind it so much.

What don't you like about the Navy that you think would be better in the ARMY?

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Think they can also be called a tap device

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

You also don't have to be fat. This runs in my family and it includes rail thin people. Apparently we have super thick necks and that's a big apnea thing

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

I missed a few ATs when I was in the guard. They had some minimum amount of days of service they wanted you to hit and, according to my admin, that was being present for every guard weekend if AT was missed. In addition they were willing to schedule make up days during random weeks if I needed to hit my total.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

How do you guys like Seal Beach for a base? I always drive by a bunch of 18 year olds dressed for the club coming off a boat. Where are they going? Leisure world?

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Is that the Navy version of Star-Trek where all the senior officers beam down for away missions?

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

FrozenVent posted:

I spent six months on a salt boat. Hauling salt. In bulk.

Salt doesn’t smell, but it makes your gear crinkle. It’s been almost ten years and my winter coveralls still don’t fold right.

Leave em in a bathtub full of water over night. Maybe a couple times. Should dissolve away the salt

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

LingcodKilla posted:

Come out west. Our crabs are meatier.

That looks like a Midwestern salad???

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

It's that stupid loving TSLA attitude of the future being touchscreens and shoehorning them into applications they shouldn't be used for

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

That just reminds me of Downtown Los Angeles that has methane leaking out of their manholes.

https://youtu.be/c-WtjGStgwk

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Came home to a Ship in at Seal Beach. Bunch of sailors loitering at the gate. I guess no one got the memo that everything is shuttered and we are riddled with the Roni.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

It's literally the Homer $20 peanut moment but with human lives

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

piL posted:

When Mercy is in port and not taking casualties via helo, does she have an elevator or something?

They docked the Mercy at a cruise ship terminal if this explains anything for your. The cruise ship just hangs out by Catalina island now.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Ah yes, the ol' libertarian trap of wanting collective action but sabotaging any attempt to organize. "If God really wanted this thing to take place he would plant the seed sperately into every man's mind so they could wake up to the idea and not be told".

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

He should have known it would be leaked. Time to step down I guess

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Stultus Maximus posted:

I'm down to 3 1/2.
Starting to wonder if a 40+ year old guy trying weed for the first time is pathetic.

I tried it for the first time at 37. You're not alone!

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

LingcodKilla posted:

Hooray shoreleave in Athens! Apparently we need to ROM at sea for a few weeks before we can pull in anywhere else but still. Still waiting to see if they are going to extend my orders after I volunteered for another 6 months.

Get some Kebabs

O Thanasis
Mitropoleos 69, Athina 105 55, Greece
+30 21 0324 4705
https://maps.app.goo.gl/9vh49KBXe6gVUhLs5

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

I was cummingtonite just thinking about making this exact post

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

US Berder Patrol posted:

Glad to see everyone has a healthy apatite for geology puns

I'm a geologist, and this is the first time I can remember hearing this pun. Well done

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Just doing crafts with my navy buddies nbd

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

What kind of biscuits did they serve with the tea? I like the chocolate covered digestives from McVities.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

It's coming from inside the skull

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

That or you need salt?

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Ask away man! Basically you find a college that you can live at, and has the program you think you want to study. Then you sign up and declare a major. Don't worry about getting this right, it's easy to change, and the first year or so is taking general classes not associated with a major.

You register for classes, get yourself an apartment, buy some books, and start showing up to classes. The first few semesters are generals you need as prerequisites to your final degree. poo poo like English, speech, and some entry level math (among others). If you are going for computer programming/engineering/sciences you'll probably be on the treadmill to Calculus. During this time it's probably a good idea to slip in a class or two you might find interesting and chat up professors to expand your world view and dip your toe in other subjects. Maybe you'll find something you really love, maybe you'll just pass through on your way to a programming degree.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

I thought post 2001 bullshit allows the activation of the National Guard without governor consent

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Sounds like the Mess has been eating your chow