Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

unlike most veterans and SA members $10 is not a meaningful expenditure for me

I'm gonna have me a swag Bar-B-Q

Red Crown posted:

In true Navy fashion I just got off a plane I didn't have a ticket for until 18 hours ago. I don't know why they do it that way, but, well, here we are.

Travel office spent the last two months arguing about who was going to approve the orders.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

If you’re stuck in SeaTac just dump your bags at the USO and take the train into Seattle. It’s like $2.Alternatively go into the city of SeaTac and get the clap.

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

LingcodKilla posted:

Hang out with me during the late summer to fall and you’ll get crabs for sure.

NBK Bremerton PCS Primer and Welcome Aboard Package, "Gone Crabbin'"

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

LingcodKilla posted:

Please don’t encourage people to go to McClouds.

:getin:

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

LingcodKilla posted:

Was you guys who said to watch out for people who keep a copy of “Who Moved My Cheese”?.

Any time that book gets trotted out, someone is in for a bad time.

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

LingcodKilla posted:

Should I read it for amusement?

In other new my NOSC actually prevented me from getting hosed. I had orders for a 179 days in the pipe and they notified me they wouldnt approve them because it would trigger an permanent change of address after 139 days and I would have to pay for my hotel in DC out of pocket for the balance of my time (though my BAH would go up $600 but that's not enough for a room rental im sure). Contacted the unit who wanted me and they did their own research and realized yeah that would gently caress me over so they changed it to 139 days instead. Really the best of endings because I wont miss my whole PNW summer but I'll still get plenty of time in DC.

Thanks NOSC! I'm not use to them actually looking out for me.

For amusement, I guess. Also: it’s a trap.

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

LingcodKilla posted:

My GS boss yelled at me the other day for eating a breakfast sandwich on the clock first thing in the morning.
1) I had checked for open tickets, we had none.
2) He was late because he had to go get his morning latte(it was still in his hand).
3) We were told to wait for him in the morning before leaving the office for independent work.

I ended up almost throwing my sandwich at him but instead just berated him for a while on how lovely a manager he was. He ran off and went to a division meeting and complained about me eating on the clock and being verbally abusive. I started packing my desk but it ended up getting dropped because his boss thought eating food wasn’t something to get worked up about and he shouldnt raise his voice to staff.
I’m still edgy around him. I’m not use to that level of micromanagement.

Are you in 109 or something because that’s some next level bean counting bullshit. And I say that as a professional bean counter.

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

LingcodKilla posted:

Don’t doxx me bro.

I just strung a bunch of random words together, that’s not doxxing you!!!

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

LingcodKilla posted:

The (or a particular) vending machines if you use a credit card need to be manually told to stop vending stuff. There was a sign about it right at face level but who reads that poo poo. I couldn’t give it back if I wanted to.

Every few months we get a departmental email from some aggrieved person in management who lost $1.50 to the same thing. Funny every time.

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

It’s the navy so 45/45, and a reduction in rate. Also suspended forfeiture of pay, because the UCMJ says not to be mean, but conveniently ignore the reduction causes him to lose eligibility for BAH. Back to the barracks and immediately into foreclosure.

Just a guess.

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

Nick Soapdish posted:

Depending on marital status, my GiP xlsx is out of date (nonexistant), I could see 45/45 with both pay and reduction suspended.

Comedy option: KetTarma e-mails the thread to the Command, gets referred to NCIS and he ends up processed for a General after NCIS refers his finger loving of his M9 PDW to a summary court martial as criminal negligence.

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

!!!

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

ded posted:

Wait. Armed engine room rover?

how do you think crankcase explosions happen

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

lol nnsy

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

McNally posted:

It's also a statement of goddamn fact that my wife committed suicide around the holidays.

Please don't make jokes around suicide, particularly around the holidays. I don't understand why this is a difficult request.

turns out Grover had a better understanding of this subforum / the navy / the mil.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Maybe it's because I'm a dumb civilian but I have a hard time imagining not taking DC classes seriously. Like I know it happens but I can't understand that headspace at all.

Lol

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

Crab Dad posted:

Man I feel for you guys. They really should send more active duty sailors to these dumb EPF ships as down time and rest because we reservists dont deserve this kind of rest and relaxation compared to sea duty sailors.

Oh man what an idea. 30-50 sailors at time for rest and relaxation to work on evals/quals/jerking off for a few weeks. No extra duty just good food and regular sleep. Give these ships a real mission as a floating MWR.

Also I want flying pigs and unicorns civilians manning the ship.

In six days or less this would get hosed up.

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

titties posted:

I had another dream about those fresh dinner rolls.

Does anyone have the official bread roll recipe? I've never been able to find it online.

nice try boris

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

Mr. Nice! posted:

The problem with berthing barges is they aren't ships so the navy doesn't give a gently caress about them. They treat them exactly like they treat any barge. They sit in the water and only get looked at if they're about to sink.

Service Craft is the official term and the funding situation isn’t pretty. Scheduling any barge for an avail is a nightmare due to limited dry-dock space and the uh, well, nobody is getting stars pinned on for pushing out barges on time with only 50% of the avail work-up deferred.

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

It’s me I’m the bluenose/red nose/golden shellback coastie ama about getting out and working for the navy

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

US Berder Patrol posted:

What kind of coast guard boat took you all the way to the anti arctic

What do you do for the navy

Polar class ice breaker and I have two antarctica service medals (well bronze star in lieu of a second, natch) also I’m a civilian now so I’m civil service. I spent a ton of time in the Caribbean while active duty but that fuckin sucked gtmo and that stupid outdoor theater can eat my whole rear end, along with the entire MA rating.

As far as what I do that’s really hard to sum up fully and completely so let’s call it modernization/avail planning and finance or how I learned to stop worrying and love the nmp-mom

Also I have no answers about anything to do with the contemporary CG (the uniform question, our uniforms were trash all the way up until I left) as I got out in 2013 and only keep in touch with a very small community of people who disrespectfully refer to me as SK1 because they know it bothers me. It sounds like everyone doubled down on being turbo chuds and I’m pretty happy about bailing.

One of my first lessons about the chain of command was in 2002 when I volunteered to go tdy to Bahrain using an automated process and orders got cut without a command endorsement which created some local disturbance. Anyway, that’s bringing it back to the talk about orders which I’ve had some experience on the periphery with PCS in/with the navy with both civil service and active duty and it’s a real nightmare. Coastie readers: DA/peoplesoft/whatever is a billion times better than what USN folks deal with on that front, and transfer season is a way better model than whatever it is the navy is doing lmao

Anyway the most eye opening thing about working for the navy is how much worse every aspect of every thing is than the CG and to really absurd degrees despite basically all the money in the world being available to fix it, the wardroom will still trip on its dick to gently caress it up

So basically anyone that ever has some feeling of regret about joining the USN: you were/are completely correct, and it gets worse the deeper into civil service you get if you stray from a warfare center or Washington Navy Yard. Maybe less true for weird places like SRF or the rare person who scores a 5 year in Sasebo.

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

Wibla posted:

Preaching to the choir, buddy :haw:

I know but it was a real eye opener, particularly when it comes to financial stuff and, hilariously, anything logistics.

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

Have some idiot at Bangor getting himself fired via clearance revocation:

https://www.kitsapsun.com/story/news/2021/11/04/bangor-worker-suspended-job-over-facebook-post/6238978001/

There was another guy from PSNS a couple weeks back, but they just quietly stuffed him in a corner because all he did was go to a protest.

Big rumors that a lot of people are actually going to quit or get fired over it and then gently caress off to chud country, but we’ll see

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

Elviscat posted:

Oh no, without all the idiot chuds bitching about the vaccine at the smoke pit how will we maintain submarines?

Spoiler alert this is the upper management perspective and it’s hilarious to watch the knives come out when a chud surfaces in upper management just to end up on the receiving end of an alpha-strike of “good, leave”

There was a ton of bitching recently because Adm Galinis basically said chuds can gently caress off in an all navsea email and the high pitched keening emanating from the chud compartments was impressive

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

On the civ service side the chud Union is predicting ~30% of their folks, and the chud-lite engineer union is saying ~23% of theirs.

Those numbers seem hilariously high but our overall vax numbers really haven’t moved since May or whenever they finished up the big shotex push, and people have surprisingly held to their line on it so who knows

Hope ur all looking forward to even more deferred maint and mod packages lol because like the billboard says: on time every time*

*just don’t look at what got deferred please

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

Heinous

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

Blue buckets,specifically. with A-gang scrawled on it but spelled incorrectly

Congrats TVS looking forward to your inevitable death march into the maintenance and modernization community

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

don’t forget the newly established shore tycom lol

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Does anyone have some good tips/knowledge about resolving PCS travel claims? I've currently got a sailor who's getting screwed to the tune of ~$6000 over the course of a very i-stop heavy PCS process that I would love to help with but I don't have a lot of experience un-loving PCS stuff. One issue seems to be that at some point, they re-calculated her reimbursement to use GMR and a lower lodging rate versus the CMR and lodging rate that she was actually charged/authorized for several weeks. Our local admin support kind of sucks and I know that PCS stuff doesn't ultimately go through them anyway, so any pointers on who to call and yell at would be appreciated.

Who is “they” in this case? Amendments to orders are a nuisance, particularly if you’re trying to notify someone who is in the middle of travel.

Your mission, should you choose to accept it, is going to be to work through whomever the claim is being submitted through locally to go up and over the chain to whoever signed the amendment in the first place and find out why.

I’ve been in this game long enough to stand back from things like this and go with my presumptions that it’s 50-50 odds on it being on the traveler or the AO, but I can’t tell you anything without seeing the authorization myself because “it depends”.

The last shitshow like this I had to unfuck involved getting DFAS to disentangle a misapplied (as in the wrong account got paid somehow) GTCC payment for a retiring chief that — after some digging — didn’t actually have a card and also traveled without signed orders. It took months and the guy threatening congressionals the entire time, and even with a 1 star admiral breathing down our necks the whole time, it didn’t speed up DFAS whose point of “he wasn’t authorized to travel at the time” was correct, if missing the point entirely.

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

Wingnut Ninja posted:

"They" in this case is... PERS, I guess? That's part of the problem, PCS travel funding doesn't go through your local admin chain, it's all done by some office in Millington. There's no DTS authorization or anything, it's all just derived from your PCS orders.

And I wasn't clear explaining the recalculation thing; she got an full breakdown of all her charges and reimbursements once her travel was finished and she was working on her claim. It had the accurate per diem rates but was missing some major things like her rental car. As she was trying to get that corrected, they sent her an updated breakdown that retroactively had lower rates. This was for group travel as part of a det for the class she was doing, all the lodging was booked by the school and I imagine they have a CNA letter if we need to cite it. It makes me suspicious because I know DTS has an issue if you're making adjustments after the travel started where it will revert an approved CMR and full lodging rate to GMR and whatever the on-base lodging rate is. I wouldn't be surprised if the PERS system or whatever they use has a similar problem.

I've never had to do a complex PCS like this with months-long i-stops so it's out of my area of expertise. If it were DTS it would be easy.

Yeah, military PCS in USN is a complete dumpster fire. Unfucking any part of it is going to require you to reach to Millington which is what I was worried about.

Odds of resolving it before someone pushes a collection action in DFAS aren’t great. I’m not one to push people to turbo, but given the state of things on both the mil and civilian personnel side of the house it may be worthwhile. So a claim was submitted to Millington and was returned with “and now you owe us $6,000, how would you like to pay?” Or an indebtedness letter?

First tip would be to try to get a live body on the phone/Teams. I can’t emphasize this enough: if you’re active duty and trying to get in touch with some civilian shithead like me or one of my people, use Teams.

Ideally you’ll want a civilian supervisor, if there is one. Authority to do anything at all in USN is so bound to supervisors that it’s incredible that anyone manages to get anything done.

If it’s active duty people servicing those claims I’m going to recommend elevating through your command before a collection action is initiated so you don’t end up with a sailor getting a $0 paycheck.

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Right now she's got a ~12k balance on her GTCC and they're only saying they'll pay off ~6k. She's still working the process at her level, I'm just trying to frontload how I can escalate it if when it remains hosed up. Most of that difference is from a rental car which I think should be pretty easy to resolve, but the lodging rate thing could be a real pain in the rear end just because some dipshit hit the wrong selection when recalculating everything.

I’d have to dive into the JTR to check if the rule remains the same with PCS, but with TDY orders once an AO approves a rate on an authorization/orders, they’re not allowed to reduce it during the claims side. An amendment during the execution is one thing, doing so via the voucher process is another.

This should roughly be the same within the PCS since the overarching process doesn’t exactly differ, just entitlements and allowances. If they approved it on the orders and are going back on it during claims processing, an amendment to the orders would be required first. The sea-lawyering to do here is check the JTR for enabling language in the PCS side, but barring that lean on the first or second chapter of the JTR [I think] that sets out responsibilities and limitations of AOs.

Travel lives in my department, but I’ve got the other division. I’ve worked these issues a lot, but I’m a few years out from directly doing it, but a practical demonstration of what I am talking about goes here:

quote:

Traveler (member/employee) is going to [location] and requests Actual Expense. I rubber stamp the orders and don’t catch it. Travel is executed, claim/voucher process begins.

Now in reviewing the claim I determine “this is far more than it should be, wait they requested it is actual expense? What the hell, they didn’t need to stay at the four seasons!”

It is too late to correct this for the AO. Pecuniary liability rests with the approving official and negligence is presumed. They may attempt to recoup the difference from the traveler, but that can be pushed back on since the AO approved it.

How you want to engage that is up to you. I’m ten years apart from active duty time and as such my respect for the chain of command is diminished, particularly if I have to start with some YN2/PS2 type at another location that’s going to blow me off because it’s 0805 on Friday and XO still hasn’t sent the early liberty email.

Specifically recommend turboing because there’s a balance on the GTCC that, by policy, is probably already due.

e: for the record, the navy “format” for PCS orders is one of the most obnoxious ways they could do that

krispykremessuck fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Jul 29, 2023

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

The middle way of cash advancements or travelers checks was an okay-ish compromise, but yeah generally speaking the GTCC isn’t great for low grades because of how unfavorable the terms are, particularly when you factor in that an AO has 30 days to approve a voucher.

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

“I couldn’t find my GTCC at that moment,”

“It kept declining… weird, right?”

“The at the counter was sketchy as hell, and I didn’t want him to clock me as a mil member for opsec reasons”

Not like the GS-6 reviewing your voucher is going to care a bunch.

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

Wingnut Ninja posted:

It makes me think that the people making this policy never actually have to use travel cards.

I have no comforting response to this. The policy makers at the Ech II and up level that make rubber stamp those kinds of decisions have people that do those things for them, so in a sense you’re right.

It’s also true of NMCI, all the various management software extended universe poo poo, and every other thing.

I believe you that it’s getting pushed. It’s just that there’s not much in the way of enforcement action that can be taken outside of bogus Art. 134 poo poo that people could try to fabricate. Admittedly, that’s small comfort to a sailor facing down a DRB because LSC Bill N. Specter is going apeshit over a checked baggage fee or some dumb poo poo.

If I caught one of our travel folks giving anyone grief over it, I’d put an end to that, is what I’m saying. That’s a waste of our time to ensure Citibank gets their cut.

quote:

Official guidance is that if you card gets declined or whatever, you're supposed to call the Citibank help line.

Official as in “with an instruction number” or as in “the travel office keeps screeching about”? I know there’s a renewed push and that it’s now infecting PCS, too, I just haven’t seen a policy change. AOs have way more discretion in this kind of thing than you might think.

krispykremessuck fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Jul 29, 2023

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

Yeah, the gas one would catch attention here.

As far was what drives it, sometimes an enterprising junior officer at a fleet command (or that level) with more free time than sense and a lack of appropriate supervision will develop a sense that something like this ought to be looked into.

The next thing you know, you’re getting nasty e-mails from fleet asking why you’re not making everyone fill out the tax-exempt forms that may situationally apply to TDY travel but are wholly optional.

This strikes me as one of those things, though a bit more likely that it originated in some hellish FIAR position or a KPMG audit finding.

As far as I’m concerned the meals one is completely unenforceable if M&IE is authorized. That’s an entitlement, not reimbursement.

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

Elviscat posted:

One of the officers on the 22 left the entire, unredacted, command climate survey on the LAN, including all the comments. Most of the comments were complaining about the command covering up the bed bug issue, but one dude basically predicted the collision.

I think "trust in the command" had 0 positive responses.

That owns. The comments are my favorite part and I wish they’d get released (minus the ones accusing people of poo poo by name) instead of locked behind NDAs and hidden as hard as possible

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

Thread is reminding me of my 0700-1300 in port schedule, though different service.

Working DoN for almost ten years and at the level I’m at has me convinced the harm reduction path is to only allow aviators to have command roles.

I’m not going to think that through, sorry folks, that’s just how it is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

For the guy asking about regulatory access to base, PAO is a bad bet especially given the wells thing since there is still some organizational ptsd over red hill and more recently pfas, so the instinct to slow walk whatever you’re asking will be high and organizational knowledge is not high in DoN on a general basis so there are better than good odds they won’t understand your ask or even where to direct it.

What you want is NAVFAC or the Assistant Regional Engineer. In the region / NAVFAC organization my guess would be you’d want the N45/EV3 folks if it’s environmental / conservation based or the facilities planning shop if not specifically doing that. The generic CNIC / Region website can probably help and if not that you can try your luck with the NAVFAC PAC / Lant public sites.

Generic base access is reasonably easy, access to drawings and autonomy to find some old dead well? Lol