Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Yeah I’ve been wearing the same six pairs of those sand colored wool socks for six years now and they are holding up strong. They have a lifetime warranty if they ever fall apart. As someone who has spent decades on their feet, a good pair of socks can make the difference between barely surviving and doing just fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

Darn Tough socks are incredible

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Don't give him fancy socks until after boot camp though

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit
Just started reading “Battle Born” by Terminal Lance creator Max Uriarte. It’s a very different graphic novel than “The White Donkey” and I’m not sure what to think of it yet. However, it’s lovingly-illustrated and really brings out the beauty that I saw from Afghanistan during my time there.

Anyone else pick it up?

PenisMonkey
Apr 30, 2004

Be gentally.
No I can’t read which is why the Marine Corps let me in.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Time Crisis Actor posted:

Just started reading “Battle Born” by Terminal Lance creator Max Uriarte. It’s a very different graphic novel than “The White Donkey” and I’m not sure what to think of it yet. However, it’s lovingly-illustrated and really brings out the beauty that I saw from Afghanistan during my time there.

Anyone else pick it up?

I've not read it but I have always avoided any media about OIF or OEF because my memory is so poo poo I am afraid it will mess with how I remember the deployments I had.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

Time Crisis Actor posted:

Anyone else pick it up?

I just got it and finished it up. Really liked it. More terse than White Donkey, still serious subject matter, but also didn't leave me awake staring at the ceiling until like 3AM afterwards.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

Hekk posted:

I've not read it but I have always avoided any media about OIF or OEF because my memory is so poo poo I am afraid it will mess with how I remember the deployments I had.

I'm glad I'm not the only one this happens to. When I think about those dumbass times I have to make sure I'm not remembering something I saw watching Generation Kill or something. It's stupid.

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003
Now go away, or I shall taunt you a second time!

Eason the Fifth posted:

I'm glad I'm not the only one this happens to. When I think about those dumbass times I have to make sure I'm not remembering something I saw watching Generation Kill or something. It's stupid.

As someone who lived Generation Kill trying to read the book or watch the series is loving infuriating as it always dredges up something I'd forgotten about and then I'm angry for a week and fighting the hyper alertness and urge to chase people off the property. Which is better now that I'm not living in an area with out as much auto theft.

They weren't the only unit with someone who was as loving stupid as sixta. Sadly the ones I knew like him aren't in jail or dead. Yet. But the good HQ Plt and later XO got killed by a drunk driver who's walking free now so I've got that in the back of my mind for whenever I get a terminal diagnosis.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

Yea, Generation Kill was super triggering, probably for anyone in invasion. I think the book and the show played up the characters but that just makes it easier to amalgamate with idiots I personally knew. But poo poo, I also wonder who people I was there with relate to me!

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

UPDATE! My not yet a boot nephew decided that in addition to joining the Marines he should propose to his terrible girlfriend of 8 months and she said yes! I feel like I need to start a terrible decisions bingo card

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Getting a tattoo before training should be the free space

PenisMonkey
Apr 30, 2004

Be gentally.

Arson Daily posted:

UPDATE! My not yet a boot nephew decided that in addition to joining the Marines he should propose to his terrible girlfriend of 8 months and she said yes! I feel like I need to start a terrible decisions bingo card

He’ll make a great jarhead.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

sounds like a sof marine

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Arson Daily posted:

good lord :lol:

make sure he gives her a full power of attorney too!

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

Does the fact that he's catholic and extremely religious mean anything? Or is that more of an Air Force thing

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Arson Daily posted:

Does the fact that he's catholic and extremely religious mean anything? Or is that more of an Air Force thing

Like the Catholic Church, the Marines love them some dressup, ritual and tradition, none of which the Air Force has*, much like non-denominational evangelicalism.

*The cartoon sword actually proves the point

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Arson Daily posted:

it means kids are coming soon

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Arson Daily posted:

He needs an SA account so we can all relive our series of terrible life decisions through a younger generation’s bad life choices.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013
loving lol’ing so hard.

There hasn’t been a true blue crayon eating marine idiot in a long time. Hekk isn’t dumb enough to truly sustain this threads lust for marine idiocy.

I know it’ll just be going to Lowtax, but I’ll front the kid an account and we can try to get some new blood in here.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

we need someone to contract with the armed forces that can peddle this sub forum so they can get "up to date access" on military life from seasoned experts. like one person stationed at every initial entry point for each branch.

Just get a ton of boots subbed to this forum

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

GIP recruiter stationed between the Barber and CIF

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
If you can "afford" to buy a sword, you can cough up :10bux:.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
Just start selling "family crests" that come with a forums account, and the "crest" gets to be their avatar.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

Hekk posted:

He needs an SA account so we can all relive our series of terrible life decisions through a younger generation’s bad life choices.

So uh that would be a weird conversation that I'm not really willing to have.

tikka_zamayid
Dec 2, 2018

There goes the neighborhood....

PenisMonkey posted:

No I can’t read which is why the Marine Corps let me in.

One of my platoon Sgt's favorite insult was "Penis Wrinkle".... Seeing your name triggered a flashback... lol...

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

When I was in high school I got a perfect score on the ASVAB, I think I was the only kid in my school to do so. The army guy and air force guy wouldn't leave me the gently caress alone.

The marine recruiter didn't even attempt to talk to me aside from pointing and laughing once as I saw him in the hallways.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

That’s... not how the asvab is scored

PenisMonkey
Apr 30, 2004

Be gentally.
I didn’t have to take the ASVAB. I just farted Taps and the Marine recruiter snatched me right up.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

My soon to be boot nephew came very close to marrying his minor girlfriend (he's 18) only to find out the marines wouldn't take him if he went through with it. Thank Allah for small miracles I guess.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

Lol the rare GOOD recruiter lie

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Pryor on Fire posted:

When I was in high school I got a perfect score on the ASVAB, I think I was the only kid in my school to do so. The army guy and air force guy wouldn't leave me the gently caress alone.

Wow, you could totally be a General by now.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

Pryor on Fire posted:

The marine recruiter didn't even attempt to talk to me aside from pointing and laughing once as I saw him in the hallways.

Wow, I’ve never met someone who could say they had a perfect ASVAB score. You must have been a pretty poo poo hot student- Did the academies reach out to you?

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

shim are you a mr grumpypants today

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

EBB posted:

shim are you a mr grumpypants today

No :(

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

Internet Wizard posted:

Lol the rare GOOD recruiter lie

Wait is that BS?

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

Arson Daily posted:

Wait is that BS?

I know plenty of people who enlisted married. They get BAH or Base Housing at their first duty station and never have to live through barracks life. It’s actually a much nicer life than having TBI/PTSD addled E-5’s and E-6’s ripping your room apart looking for bath salts, your barracks cat, or candles.

The young marriages have about the same luck of turning out successfully as any other young marriage. There’s some happy couples who got married at 19/20. I don’t know them, but law of large numbers and all that.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Arson Daily posted:

Wait is that BS?

His recruiter probably doesn't want to do all of the hosed up paperwork it takes for him to get a minor wife added in deers as a dependent.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013
It’s not even that, recruiter has nothing to do with putting a recruits wife in DEERS. The extra leg work for the recruiter with married folks is the same as if he had children: Gotta have a dependent care plan. You gotta show how you intend to take care of your dependents when your not around, say Boot Camp, Field Exercises, Deployments, etc.

You hilariously don’t have to do this if you get married and knock up a stripper you meet during Christmas block leave. When you inevitably divorce said stripper and become a single parent, your back to having to prove you have a care plan.

This is a DoD requirement, and yet I saw its implementation being done wildly different from one unit to the next. It is standardized for accessions however. He’d have to do a dependent care plan and it has to be signed off on by the CO. That’s the extra work the recruiter is avoiding with his lie. But it’s a good lie, because marriage is a loving terrible idea.

LtCol J. Krusinski fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Sep 7, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

It’s not even that, recruiter has nothing to do with putting a recruits wife in DEERS. The extra leg work for the recruiter with married folks is the same as if he had children: Gotta have a dependent care plan. You gotta show how you intend to take care of your dependents when your not around, say Boot Camp, Field Exercises, Deployments, etc.

You hilariously don’t have to do this if you get married and knock up a stripper you meet during Christmas block leave. When you inevitably divorce said stripper and become a single parent, your back to having to prove you have a care plan.

This is a DoD requirement, and yet I saw its implementation being done wildly different from one unit to the next. It is standardized for accessions however. He’d have to do a dependent care plan and it has to be signed off on by the CO. That’s the extra work the recruiter is avoiding with his lie. But it’s a good lie, because marriage is a loving terrible idea.

The recruiter does have to do the paperwork to get his wife setup to enroll in deers. That's why I said he probably didn't want to do it. If the kid gets married on boot leave, it's not the recruiter's problem anymore but if he gets married in dep, the recruiter has to update his entire enlistment package because MCRD will throw a loving fit if the kid goes down there and says he is married but all of his wife's poo poo isn't on his contract.

Then he has to go through with a care plan that shows how his wife is going to live without money for 3 months while her hubby is in training and the RS OpsO has to sign off on the plan.