Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
FF14 is covered in dumb anime stuff though, renders it unplayable. One of the few MMOs I've tried where I couldn't even make it to the max lvl to determine if the end game also sucked.

I'd play ESO for doing single player type stuff because the world and it's quests is the games strong point. ESO's endgame is weak, what do you do with your best set once you have it? It's also annoying how there are no incremental upgrades because you switch out entire SETS at a time, not just one weapon or armor piece at a time. You also can't queue with your friends for battlegrounds anymore. I don't really see what the multiplayer aspect of ESO adds to the game, should have just made it single player since that's how most people play it anyway.

WoW is good if you have a group of friends to play with, I think their mythic+ system is the best dungeon system an MMO has ever had. Essentially you get a keystone that makes a dungeon harder than normal with modifiers (labeled on the keystone) and if you complete them the keystone adds more modifiers to the next dungeon.

No idea how raids are for any of this since I never bother with them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Godholio posted:

Are you making GBS threads on him for not knowing it was integral to the original (which it wasn't) or to the sequel (which isn't even released)?

Guess it’s in the DLC or TLOU 2.5 or w/e where you play Ellie?

So yeah I never got around to that my b

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

Godholio posted:

Are you making GBS threads on him for not knowing it was integral to the original (which it wasn't) or to the sequel (which isn't even released)?

I was making GBS threads on him for not seeing the trailer for TLOU2 but I wasn't serious either

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Guess it’s in the DLC or TLOU 2.5 or w/e where you play Ellie?

So yeah I never got around to that my b

It was one of the big trailers for 2, at least. And I was just messing with you anyway.

Riot Carol Danvers fucked around with this message at 23:15 on May 11, 2020

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

joke’s on us we’re all gonna play it anyway

But first let me run to my truck to record a video

Mustang posted:

FF14 is covered in dumb anime stuff though, renders it unplayable. One of the few MMOs I've tried where I couldn't even make it to the max lvl to determine if the end game also sucked.

Have a hard time disagreeing. Some parts are pretty cringe. But the core gameplay is the best there is in that market.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

yeah its Final Fantasy so its got anime stuff

you're already playing an MMO though so idk why thats anything new

music fuckin owns too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=noJiH8HLZw4

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Riot Carol Danvers posted:

I was making GBS threads on him for not seeing the trailer for TLOU2 but I wasn't serious either

I need a loving vacation.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

Godholio posted:

I need a loving vacation.

YOU'RE MISSION ESSENTIAL

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit
I’m sure that FF14 is super cool and better than WoW, but my MMO nuts were crushed by EQ many years ago, so any game that doesn’t actively try to kick you in the balls while calling you racial slurs is ok to me

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

then dont play FF11

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003
Now go away, or I shall taunt you a second time!

Deathy McDeath posted:

I’m sure that FF14 is super cool and better than WoW, but my MMO nuts were crushed by EQ many years ago, so any game that doesn’t actively try to kick you in the balls while calling you racial slurs is ok to me

I think the closest thing to that is NPC's and some players who call lalafel potatoes.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Deathy McDeath posted:

Project 99 exists if you really are a masochist. It’s fun for a trip down memory lane but I have never leveled a character above 20 or so because of how absurdly slow and difficult everything is.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Tony Hawk’s Pro Skater 1+2 remastered coming out 9/4.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
Lights out
Guerrilla radio
Turn that poo poo up

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

just give me the Warehouse level on repeat

And that really fun downhill level I think on 2?

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

bloops posted:

Tony Hawk’s Pro Skater 1+2 remastered coming out 9/4.

Oh fuckkkkkkkkk

I hope it's good and they actually got most of the soundtrack. Also, THPS 3 > 2. Prove me wrong.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

This can’t be the first remaster or port, right? Like they’ve done this before? Or is this the first proper one?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

That's cool. I was worried they'd call it good after that THPS 5 abortion

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

This can’t be the first remaster or port, right? Like they’ve done this before? Or is this the first proper one?

We're remastering the remasters now

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tony_Hawk%27s_Pro_Skater_HD

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Yeah it wasn't great (IIRC the physics and controls were off compared to the originals) but for five bucks when you could still buy it, it gave me a few hours of fun.

Hopefully they take the criticism to heart and the remasters are improved upon.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

I mean look they somehow managed to gently caress up a tetris game on the PS4 so I don’t have high hopes for ports because it doesn’t mean poo poo if it’s not optimized with delay/sync

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

ill wait and see

the ps3/360 remaster was trash from a butt

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
If you want a good remaster get definitive edition aoe2. So good

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I finally got RA2 to work properly in a fullscreen window on Windows 10

Jesus christ that took some doing

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Howd you do it

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I got the first decade dvd in my opitcal drive atm but it doesn't work. I do have Yuri's revenge that I can play online with, for free even. But sometimes you just want to play campaign

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Howd you do it

I’m doing it in Mental Omega and it has like 7 different renderers to pick from that all suck rear end so I found this and replaced one of them with it: https://github.com/CnCNet/cnc-ddraw/releases

Just set the game render to 720p or whatever, switch to windowed with alt+enter, release the mouse cursor with right alt+right ctrl and stretch it to fit

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

hello can i tell you about my everyday carry

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Guys i don't know what dipshit would do this but do NOT work on your computer with power supplied and DO NOT drop a metal bracket onto exposed fan controller pins on your motherboard! Popped really loudly and now my mobo has a lil scorch. holy gently caress what a dumb mistake and i'm lucky that all it did was cost me a few minutes of troubleshooting and rebooting to fix.

However, I'm playing a lot of games at 2560x1080 @ 60 fps on high-ultra settings now and you should really mod in some adaptive sync to your monitors if you can. [url=https://www.monitortests.com/forum/Thread-Custom-Resolution-Utility-CRU]It's easy and free to try.[/u]

Adaptive sync is pretty rad because now when the frames are in the range that you specified, the monitor will basically match the framerate rather than waiting for a frame on time with the screen, and it lowers the APPARENT judder of FPS dips.

All this so can play Rise of Tomb Raider again and finish Witcher 3.

Wasabi the J fucked around with this message at 12:08 on May 14, 2020

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I can't even figure out how to get Total Annihilation Escalation to work in full screen and you want me to do all... that

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FX6DTLcWUdY

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

1) Nintendo is getting very good at taking my money.

2) Maximus Cup this weekend with Animal Crossing theme :getin:

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:

SquirrelyPSU posted:

1) Nintendo is getting very good at taking my money.

2) Maximus Cup this weekend with Animal Crossing theme :getin:

God drat it, I lent my Switch to someone for the quarantine.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Milo and POTUS posted:

I got the first decade dvd in my opitcal drive atm but it doesn't work. I do have Yuri's revenge that I can play online with, for free even. But sometimes you just want to play campaign

I really hope if the Tiberan Dawn and Red Alert Remaster does well they do Tiberan Sun and RA2 next.

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

Is it stupid to buy things for a computer as I save up or should I just save up and buy everything at one time?

Let’s say $1200 max. Is that enough to give me really good eye candy? I might could stretch it to $1500 buuuut...

If I saved I’d put away like $50-100/mo. It’s not really important enough to save more than that. I have no problem going without for a while to save up for something that will last for a few years without major upgrades.

Woofer fucked around with this message at 16:02 on May 14, 2020

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
Depends, what kind of monitor do you have? There's really not a good reason to have a powerful PC if you don't have a good monitor with a high refresh rate (100+).

Some people play on a TV but personally I think PCs hooked up to a TV look like poo poo and I would only do so if I literally had no other option. Most TVs also don't have a refresh rate higher than 60.

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006
I agree with Mustang. Don’t cheap on a monitor. A good 144 hertz Benq or Samsung is the way to go. If your playing on a desk, 24inches is plenty imo.

As for components, AMD/ATI has really stepped up this generation so cost is down. I’m still running an i5 and nVidia 1060 6gb because the games I play don’t really require more, but the Ryzen line is really good.

If we’re talking peripherals like mouse and keyboard, headset, etc. then a lot of that is preference.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Woofer posted:

Is it stupid to buy things for a computer as I save up or should I just save up and buy everything at one time?

Let’s say $1200 max. Is that enough to give me really good eye candy? I might could stretch it to $1500 buuuut...

If I saved I’d put away like $50-100/mo. It’s not really important enough to save more than that. I have no problem going without for a while to save up for something that will last for a few years without major upgrades.

It'd be a waste to spend money on new hardware that's going to sit in a closet and only get used after the next generation comes out and performs better at the same retail price

That mostly only matters for GPUs, though, so buy one last if that's what you're going to do

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Fallom posted:

It'd be a waste to spend money on hardware that's going to sit in a closet and only get used when the next generation comes out and performs better at the same price

Yeah this. Save up, and buy all at once. Maybe buy some parts individually if there's a really good sale.

I think the only thing I bought ahead of time was a case and then I splurged on everything at once.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
I made the mistake of pulling the trigger on a non-100+-hz monitor two years ago, and while I really do enjoy the space my Samsung U28E590 offers me, I'm kinda bummed I didn't shell out an extra 120 bucks for a 144hz version

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

High refresh monitors came down in price pretty quickly. They're around $200 at the low/mid range now:

https://www.amazon.com/Acer-KG271-C...11&s=pc&sr=1-11

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

whats a decent priced 28" widescreen?

if i do upgrade my display its for death stranding widescreen mode