Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Gonz posted:

Probably. Not sure of any public sex assault or rape accusations against the guy, though.

I just want more David Milch stories about their days together in a frat.

Also, I just learned that Milch wrote a script for a TV show about Boss Tweed years ago, and its' not being produced.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Mu Zeta posted:

According to David Milch, Dubya was his fraternity leader at Yale and he was just a fun guy that didn't take himself too seriously. Not malicious or anything.

quote:

Like, for instance, David Milch was in the same fraternity as George W. Bush, and he recounts a story about during their frat days when a reporter from the Associated Press called George Bush to talk about hazing at the frat. Milch said he answered the phone, pretended to be George Bush, and then said, “Yeah! We beat the pledges, and then we bugger them!”

Dinner for Five had some great episodes.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Where y'all talking about Mindhunters a few pages ago? Bc I've been watching and I loving love it, and I hate murder/cop shows. Its feels really intelligent.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Open Source Idiom posted:

New show from STARZ which I've been low key following for ages.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3Bu2DOM66g

J.K. Simmons, Olivia Williams, Harry Lloyd, Ulrich Thompsons as regulars, and I'm pretty sure I saw Stephen Rea in the trailer too.

(It's basically Season 3 of Fringe, but with more cold war drama and Home Counties accents.)

wowzers!

Disappointed tho that it wasn't the dark look at Allstate Insurance I was hoping it was gonna be at first

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

I wouldn't be surprised, he's a notorious hound for young women.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Rhyno posted:

You can love pussy and still respect women.

Just saying I wouldn't be surprised.

precision posted:

I really never have understood why people say this, or things like it. When I was 20, I was into indie rock, good books and movies, video games, etc. Guess what? I still am! There are people who, when they hit 30+, stop listening to new bands or stop going to shows or whatever, but I don't understand the mindset that you're "supposed to grow out" of stuff like that. To me, it's hard to imagine age mattering at all in a relationship (as long as both people are 20+ or so and emotionally mature).

My first boyfriend was 10 years older than me, my first girlfriend was my age, my second girlfriend was 12 years older, my first wife was 6 years younger than me, my second serious girlfriend was a year older, and my current wife is 19 years younger than me - and she's more mature than the one that was a year older. I just don't care about age because it's never been a consistent indicator of anything (whether friends or romantic partners). When I was 22, a couple of my best friends were 50+; one of my best friends right now is 21.

Eh, there's plenty of evidence that people really don't stop developing mentally until their early twenties. And from the flaming wreckages of relationships I've seen between thirty somethings and early twenty-somethings, its something I tend to see borne out. It's just completely two different stages mentally, emotionally, goal-wise, you name it, for most people.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

precision posted:

Don't get me wrong, I absolutely agree with that, but that's not the same thing as saying that you can't imagine what a 20 year old and a 34 year old "would have in common".

Yeah, okay.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

haha

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

EL BROMANCE posted:

It’s really solid, and one of those shows that really doesn’t get the chatter it deserves.

I think The Mick is one of these shows, caught up to the second season and the Halloween ep had me howling. Real underrated, even if it did get the second season The Grinder should have got.

e:

pentyne posted:

The US is finally starting to see what happened in the UK about 5 years ago with Operation Yewtree After Jimmy Saville died and it finally came out he was a massive pedophile rapist all of a sudden the accusations starting coming out of the woodwork and people began speaking up about other people in positions of huge influence and power committing frequent sexual abuse on minors and this time people took it seriously and started massive investigations into it.

Isn't every Tory like a serial sexual abuser now?

Shageletic fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Nov 9, 2017

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

welp add Matthew Weiner to the pile, also for forcing Kater Gordon out of the industry.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Future Man is great guys. It's a got a real funny and mean edge you don't see in comedy anymore.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Rarity posted:

I just watched the first episode of Future Man and holy hell, who knew that Peeta Mellark had a personality?

My man, have you seen a movie called Detention

e:fb

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Rarity posted:

Geez, guys, seriously

but seriously watch it

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

precision posted:

I think it's pretty reasonable to dislike Dunham at this point, after absolutely horrible poo poo like the Beckham thing. Like, there's a difference between the old "lmao she fat" and the current "she is white privilege feminism/abused her little sister/kinda seems racist" mindsets.

It's Okay To Dislike A lovely Woman. Starting with season 3, Girls really was a great show though.

lol this thing from her Rolling Stones article

quote:

She found herself sympathizing more with the stray dogs she saw than the poverty-stricken people – maybe because the human suffering was too overwhelming. "Sometimes I think that if we were, at any one instant, to truly comprehend the amount of human suffering happening in the world, we would just die," she says, brown eyes bright. She sounds more than ever like a J.D. Salinger character, perhaps a lost Glass sibling.

She's still processing India; she's still processing everything.

sums it up

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Arist posted:

I forgot how good Search Party is.

I was insta-turned off by how much I hated everyone on it.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

jeez women having to go into a defensive crouch around this (literally, just look at him ) slimeball

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Gonz posted:

Season 5 of Vikings premieres a week from today.

How is that show btw? Thinkin that might be my next big dive.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

lelandjs posted:

Man I want to like Runaways but most of the dialog is terrible and I don’t give a poo poo about the parent drama at all. That said, I think most of the changes are good, though I think I like white trash rear end in a top hat Chase from the comics better than milquetoast lacrosse bro Chase.

Yeah agreeing with you on the dialogue, I'm trying my best to get through the first episode but its terribleness is making it hard.

The cinematography is pretty great tho.

e: like I'm no word-smith or anything, but if you can't think up one good line, one good joke, or avoid 10 terrible cliche eye-rolling moments, you're doing a pretty bad job.

e2: lol just go to the frat rape attempt scene. Ye gods.

e3: is this show for children? The above scene makes me not think so, but I feel way too old to be watching this poo poo.

Shageletic fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Nov 23, 2017

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Gonz posted:

HACF is a hell of a show. I’m glad you decided to watch it. Everybody should.

Isn't the first season supposed to be lovely? I dont have any patience. I quit out of Runaways before the first episode ended.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Ape Agitator posted:

I've given a lot of thought to thinking that they don't actually like TV at all but the shows they like they really like so I'm motivated to find things if I can.

And dear god do I share your puzzlement. My aunt can watch vet shows on Animal Planet and stuff which are graphic and gross but outside of their amazing enjoyment of GoT and True Blood, if it things get violent they often done shortly afterwards. I was kind of amazed that they latched onto Blindspot.

Edit:

Three episodes of Westworld was their capper unfortunately.

You know, I might just try the Doctor Who direction. I'm not a fan myself so I didn't consider it.

I feel like they tried Lost maybe but it never hurts to ask. Thanks for reminding me. BSG strikes me as potentially being dead in the water but I'm open to all ideas so I'll try out that idea as well.

Planet Earth? Documentary Now!? Random BBC show with people in old costumes? That Sam Neil spy show is fantastic.

e: come on yall, you have to try harder to not just suggest the nerdy weird poo poo.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Ooooh, Patriot?

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

How about some Due South? That's all family as hell.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

precision posted:

okay yeah No Activity is fuckin' brilliant already and JK Simmons hasn't even shown up. The bit with Mantzoukas and Plemens debating the effectiveness of doing "crazy guy" was inspired.

You have to get All Access to watch it? gently caress.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Norwegian Rudo posted:

My impression is that Barry is more the production guy on this one. Neil LaBute is the creator and main creative guy. Kind of funny that he is doing a cheapo Canadian sci-fi show as he is mostly known as a super artsy theater writer.

Neil Labute? Ha, that dude haaaaates women, to a spectacular degree

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Lick! The! Whisk! posted:

okay look, TCAM is among the worst THINGS I've ever read, so I'm skeptical at best that anything, ANYTHING, can beat it.

I liked Happy, but it is def lesser Morrison. I didn't think it was too bad.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Mu Zeta posted:

Power corrupts you man. But times change and these guys just need to be cleaned out.

I also read a rumor about how the NYT or Washington Post are about to drop a bombshell story about like 40 people in congress are going to be named as sexual harassers.

It was a tweet by some dumb gently caress political strategist, not a reporter.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

GreenNight posted:

ABC today revealed that the nine-episode Roseanne revival will officially debut Tuesday, March 27 at 8 p.m. ET with an hourlong premiere, per Variety. It’ll keep that 8 p.m. time slot the following week, but return to its normal half-hour episodes

Speaking of politics, I wonder how much the show will dip into Roseanne's crazy rear end political world view, where Monsanto and gay people are uniting to steal everyone's mercury.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

I'm still surprised by the lack of awareness of Snowfall. It's a little generic since we've seen the drug selling arc before, but I thought it showed some interesting touches and relatively new hooks for people to latch on. Seemed like a lot more fun than Narcs anyway.

edit: its also nice to see a mostly minority cast show that doesn't fall into stereotypes. It also seemed pretty smart about explaining how the drug trade worked, and loved the surprise Method Man appearance.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

zoux posted:

I followed the reviews for Snowfall because it seemed like extremely my poo poo and I think it got hurt because it played a very long game, and the initial episodes were poorly reviewed. After the season ended I saw several critics go, hmm actually, taken as a whole, this was good.

Yeah it took its time and avoided some of the more explosive aspects of the genre (no running gun battles and poo poo) but I thought it was a nice character piece, and each episode did a good job of highlighting someone else. It's not the best thing around, but I certainly enjoyed watching it.

edit: also it looks really really nice

edit 2: and shows how hosed up the CIA was too

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Timby posted:

Seriously. He had one of the worst monologues in SNL history this past weekend.

how bad is it? gave up on snl a while ago

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

nate fisher posted:

I’ve been trying to get people to watch Patriot. During one of my conversations pushing the show the question of what is the most criminally under watched and under appreciated show since 2000 came up. My first thought was Halt & Catch Fire, but critics seem to end up giving the show its proper due (it has made several top 10 lists over the years). Now I think it has to be David Simon’s Treme. Great acting, music, and writing, but it has been pretty much forgotten. Any thoughts or other shows you can think of that have been lost in this now platinum age of TV?

Better. Off. Ted.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

IRQ posted:

Everyone watched it back in the day. Same with Seinfeld. Friends has held up way better than Seinfeld though.

The wrongest thing ever posted here.

Friends was always crap. It was crap when it first aired, its crap now when you like back at its stale and often bizaare takes (like what the gently caress was the show's thing with gay people?)

The people behind the show were hacks and horrible people btw, just read about how they treated their women employees.

Otoh seinfeld has aged like a fine wine, and doesnt need the cultural claustrophobia of the 90s for its humor. Ive had some success introducing it to my younger relatives and friends and they love it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Vegetable posted:

I know the show was co-created by a woman but Friends comes from an almost purely masculine angle. I’m only on season 2 but the women have been completely inane and one-dimensional. They openly mock feminism. They read like men talking through female characters.

I don’t know if Seinfeld had female writers (probably not) but Elaine is a more complex, fascinating, believable and funny character than any of the Friends women.

They were lovely people OP

quote:

Lyle's claim of harassment is this: she was subjected to a constant barrage of sexual talk, jokes, drawings, and gestures that demeaned and degraded women by the show's writers during their "creative" meetings. Some of her allegations?even paraphrased, as many of them are here?are quite striking.

The alleged comments Lyle lists in her complaint revolve around certain themes. One theme is banter about the actresses on "Friends": discussion of which ones the writers would like to have sex with and, if they did, different sexual acts the writers would like to try; speculation about with which "Friends" actresses the writers had missed opportunities to have sex; speculation about the supposed infertility of one of the "Friends" actresses; its supposed cause (her "dried up pussy"); and speculation about the sexual activities of the "Friends" actresses with their partners. She also complains of derogatory words used to describe women.

Another theme of the alleged comments was the personal sexual preferences and experiences of the writers, emphasizing anal sex, oral sex, big breasts, young girls and cheerleaders.

Then there were the drawings: cheerleaders with exposed breasts and vaginas; "dirty" coloring books; and penned alterations to ordinary words on the script to make "happiness" say "penis" or to make "persistence" say "pert tits".

Finally, the sexual gestures cited in Lyle's complaint include: pantomiming male masturbation and banging under the desk to make it sound like someone masturbating.

Defendants: Justified by 'creative necessity'

The defendants admitted that many of Lyle's allegations were true. They testified in deposition that they did many of the things she complained of, but argued that the conduct was justified by "creative necessity."

http://www.cnn.com/2004/LAW/05/04/grossman.friends/index.html

• Locked thread