Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
oh no, is the Westworld thread THAT bad? :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

Regy Rusty posted:

I don't think anyone's actually still talking about Korra...

:smith:

I like talking about it in places where Spider Hyphen Man is not a forums regular.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

I think Laurence Fishburne's performance when his wife dies in Hannibal might actually be the best bit of acting he's ever done. It helps that Gina Torres is his real life wife though. That must have been a real loving intense shoot.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

PenguinKnight posted:

yeah i watched it last night, was not a good episode of a tv show, but was a decent entry in the Zero Escape series

I might just watch this in isolation, then, sounds dope. tbh I would love Zero Escape, But With Sherlock Holmes as a game. Or TV show. Or anything. just get Uchikoshi to do a Sherlock Holmes game. :allears:

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

Mu Zeta posted:

It's a good show. Adam Scott plays a douche tech bro that works for a Satan-type figure.

Also, you will believe in the love story between an anthropomorphized computer and a dimwitted DJ from Jacksonville. :3:

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

Lurdiak posted:

I'd say it feels more like a pretentious art film from the 80s written by the CSI writer's team. :v:
and you don't like this, why? Nothing about that description sounds bad. it's like an abstract arthouse parody of crime procedurals. :allears:

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

lelandjs posted:

I dislike most multicam shows with laugh tracks because it makes me feel awkward when I hear people laughing but I'm not laughing myself (looking at you, Big Bang Theory). Laugh tracks aren't always bad, though (IT Crowd, HIMYM).

Lost's finale has never felt overly manipulative to me, personally, because whenever I rewatch the show by the time the finale comes around I'm completely involved with the characters and their problems again. The fact that the show allows--heck, encourages--a full release of grief upon the ending isn't actually a bad thing.

But yeah, if you don't care as deeply about the characters, and instead cared more about the mysteries and conspiracies, then yeah, I guess the finale will ring emotionally false for you because you weren't given the release you wanted.

That's why I said that the finale works for roughly half of Lost viewers earlier. The half that cared about the characters got an ending they wanted, while the people who wanted grand, sweeping explanations out of the show were left wanting.

I would argue that, taken as a whole, Lost posits that the grander events in our lives don't matter--what really matters is who you are and treat those around you--and that's why they chose the ending they went with. That said this post has gone on too long already and also I'm sure X-O is looking for an excuse to ban Lost finale chat from the thread again so I should probably shut up.

Yeah, I got into the show between the airing of the fourth season and the airing of the fifth, and watched the first four seasons over the course of two months. That was probably the best way to go about it, because it goes really well when you watch three or four episodes at a time. Plus I wasn't in the speculation community. That crew poisoned LOST for themselves, and unfortunately the creators did encourage that kind of thinking. But they didn't know any better.

I watched season five and six live, and it was a hell of a ride. Season 5 is, to me, LOST's best season by a wide margin. Season 6 meanders. I would religiously read Jeff Jensen's reviews for Entertainment Weekly, because his interest was in the philosophy of LOST. One review spent most of its time comparing LOST's story to a Salman Rushdie novel. In the review of the episode where Jacob is shown reading a Flannery O'Connor novel, Jensen went in depth on how the themes of Flannery O'Connor appear in LOST. it was LOST annotated, and it enhanced the experience so much.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

I suppose that's fair, but at the time it was hard for me to have a lot of sympathy for the people absolutely melting down, screaming about LOST now being the worst show ever, etc.

I think the LOST experience definitely made me more skeptical of deeper engagement with fan communities of shows I like. The obsessive LOST posters went berserk, while the normal fans on non-LOST forums were split, but the intellectuals loving loved the end.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

McSpanky posted:

I'm catching up on The Good Place now and I was considering looking up the thread, thanks for shaking some sense into me.

If you want to read other people's reactions, the AV Club comment threads are usually better. goons can't loving help themselves.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

X-O posted:

As Netlix starts to tip the percentages more into being an original content provider vs a licensed content provider it's inevitable that there will be a healthy amount of misfires. It's just the law of averages. Not everything is going to be good.

Also, Netflix is trying to produce content for, it seems like, every conceivable niche. Some of those niches encompass people with very lousy taste in television. And some of those shows that are agreed to be "bad" are judged so by people who are in no way the show's target audience, like how people savaged Fuller House.

I think their just greenlighting whole shows thing is inadvisable compared to Amazon's cool "pilot season" approach, though.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

Pan Dulce posted:

Speaking of which, having to do a rewatch to get caught up to the new bits sucks if the show itself is garbage at the beginning. I suffered through Arrow season one, but had someone swear after season 3 it got better. So I sat through everything and guess what? It hadn't gotten better.

Arrow season 2 is the only truly decent season of the show. Well, I haven't watched any of season 5, but I ragequit in the middle of season 4, after falling behind and then hearing who they decided to kill off. I am probably one of the few people genuinely mad about that decision, though.
also I'm pretty sad about The Flash's sophomore slump, and from what I've read, it's just turned into more of a clusterfuck. I wanted to like Legends of Tomorrow, really I did, but half the cast sucked, especially the villain. I hear it's actually leaned into the silliness in the second season, but I don't know if I want to push through the first season to get to that.
Supergirl is okay. The writers have no idea what they're doing right now, but the overall lightness in tone and strong cast carry it through, as does the fact that they never let Kara be as stupidly secret-happy as Barry or Oliver. indeed the writers have made meta-jokes multiple times at how bad the main characters are at keeping secrets. the most fatal weakness of Arrow and The Flash is the cheap use of illogical secret-keeping for drama, even after the main characters have learned, ad infinitum, that it NEVER PAYS OFF. Lying to protect someone is, 99% of the time, disastrous and moronic. And it's usually guys lying to women, in a glaring example of patriarchal bullshit that makes the male characters look deeply sexist and like they don't trust that the female characters are intelligent adults that can handle it. there's an ongoing theme in Supergirl that secret-keeping is largely unhealthy (aside from Kara keeping her civilian identity secret from the world at large), and that trust and relying on other people are always good things.

on the other superhero shows front, what Agents of SHIELD is doing now sounds fun. Like, they did Ghost Rider, and now they're doubling down on Life Model Decoys. Sure, why not? and unlike arrow, I hear they made exactly the right call in which major character to kill off at the end of the previous season.

I'm really excited that there's FINALLY going to be a Runaways show - there's so much potential there.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

Mu Zeta posted:

I cannot understand half the things they say while wearing space suits. They really need to caption those parts.

Siffy is also making an adaptation of the Hyperion series and it's being produced by Bradley Cooper. Sounds promising.

hopefully it's just the first two books. I have heard...not great things about Endymion. also hopefully it's limited run. I don't see how there's that much adaptation wiggle room, or much possibility of expansion.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

awwww, Nadiya from The Great British Bakeoff/Baking Show is getting her own show! :kimchi:

for the best explanation of why this is an amazing thing: https://www.buzzfeed.com/scottybryan/nadiyas-facial-expressions-are-one-of-the-best-things-about?utm_term=.acoYleqN9#.lo5YBO7Ky

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

is the no-ads version of Hulu worth the 12 bux a month? What does Hulu have to offer that other streaming services don't? Hulu has really changed from what it used to be, I know that, but I don't really know what it is now.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

Does Hulu still have a bunch of Criterion Collection films available to watch?

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

Escobarbarian posted:

I think one of my personal reasons for not being on board with Jessica Jones is that I have a distaste for dramas with dialogue that doesn't sound anything like how people actually talk, which imo every Marvel Netflix show has in spades. There are exceptions if it's stylised in a way I enjoy, ala something like This Is Us or Hannibal, but the dialogue in Marvel shows doesn't really have a style to me, it's just uber-bland. This is why I don't really watch a lot of network dramas tbh - the dialogue tends to be so much more about moving plot forward than ringing true. Plus the whole thing of characters acting stupid to service the plot (unrelated but this is why Get Out is like the best horror movie in years)

Nobody on TV talks like people actually talk. There's not a way people actually talk to begin with, because discourse varies depending on context and culture. But also because generally verisimilitude is boring unless the subject is really interesting people (ala My Dinner with Andre). The same is true in movies.
I dunno, I like Jessica Jones' dialogue. Or maybe it's that Krysten Ritter is magical. I don't even know what realistic is. I'm not sure I want realism as much as I want coherence, and "authenticity" (which is different from realism in ways it's tricky to define). I will also stand by Juno's dialogue forever. :colbert:

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

Nate RFB posted:

People seemed down in general on the finales for both Fargo seasons, and while they are not the highs of each respective seasons I loved both seasons overall (especially S2) dearly. Fargo S2 is probably the closest I've felt to how drawn into a TV show I was during Breaking Bad's final few episodes.

people disliked those episodes because they built up an idea of how the finale had to be, and got mad that it didn't fit their head-canon. like most situations where this is the case, I loved the episode. I think people (especially here) have a really rigid mentality about season & series finales. like, aside from maybe what ultimately happens with Hanzee, I can't understand what problems anyone would have with the end of Fargo season 2.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

Snak posted:

Mr Robot had a great second season. People just expected a plot driven show and not a character driven one. Which kind if says more about what they liked in the first season, rather than the quality of the show.

I mean, when you fundamentally misunderstand a show you like, the odds are good you'll eventually be disappointed as it goes along.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

Mu Zeta posted:

I've yet to see anyone describe what's actually good about it

I mean, it's got Nicole Kidman, Reese Witherspoon, and Laura Dern in it, so there's a guarantee that the acting is at least good (unless you have the bad taste to suggest any of those three are bad actresses).

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

Lurdiak posted:

Branding something as feminist in the US is like putting a big "hate this thing" neon sign on it. In fact a ton of US tv shows about strong female characters have episodes where an openly feminist character is an antagonist, to clarify that while this show is about women being capable and having inner lives, it's not FEMINIST or anything.

"feminist" is somehow, insanely, a dirty word. Even among people that believe and advocate for obviously feminist agendas. And it's not always people saying "oh no I'm not feminist" for optics. Many, many people sincerely believe that feminism is about having women be superior to men. This idea is especially prevalent in American media.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

Lick! The! Whisk! posted:

It doesn't help that TERFs are among the worst people on this planet, second wave feminists have turned into HRC apologistas/bloodthirsty hawks, third wave feminists have a significant minority of their online presence dominated by people who bitch about Marvel on tumblr and such nightmare hell people as Lena Dunham, male feminists are routinely creepy pathetic losers attempting, badly and obviously, to get into women's pants by being the most unnecessary white knights ever, and white feminists in general have been on a campaign of race erasure/capitalist reinforcement ever and especially since HRC lost.

Much like "liberal" the label "feminist" is a rough one to rock right now. I call myself a feminist ally nowadays just to be done with it since male feminists have so routinely and thoroughly hosed up the label for the rest of us.

I think at this point it might be better to cut losses on the term, and just call ourselves humanists. That pretty much covers everything, because being a proper humanist entails support for universal human rights, gender equality, the dismantling of discriminatory hierarchies and dehumanizing cultural traditions, and the reform of legal and economic systems that routinely trample on human dignity. everyone who cares about civil rights should be against the bastards, together, and maybe feminism has become too much of an exclusionary, divisive term.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

Guy Mann posted:

Even by the standards of Breaking Bad alum, Dean Norris' next big movie role is the most loving baffling thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nd60i3ZnLOE

I still can't believe that this is a real movie and not some FunnyOrDie prank.

I saw this before Colossal when I watched it today, and yeah, what the gently caress. I THINK it's about a boy genius who has a terminal illness, but wants to save his friend from her abusive stepdad, so he concocts this Rube Goldberg device of a plan, to be executed by his mother and younger brother. That is certainly the plot of a movie there.

:ohdear: - "There's got to be some other way!"
*flips page*
REASONS THERE IS NO OTHER WAY TO SAVE HER

I....don't....even.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

speaking of Netflix, is there a Dear White People thread yet? because that show is loving amazing, and I want somewhere to gush about it.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

Grem posted:

I'm getting in to Dear White People, it's pretty drat good. I'm not woke by any sense, but I'm enjoying it. Just a question, is Coco supposed to be a sympathetic character? I find myself agreeing with her whenever she argues with Samantha. I'm on episode 4.

Coco is, I feel, a character you're supposed to feel a lot of sympathy for, but feel frustrated with her choices, even as you understand them. Ultimately, neither Sam or Coco are correct, though.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

Escobarbarian posted:

Reactions to the supposed horrifying and upsetting nature of Handmaid's Tale HAVE been a bit over the top, though.

maybe, but I buy it. reading the book bothered me on a profound level. Seeing that poo poo depicted on screen doesn't just seem like a TV show to some people. It seems like pretty close to what a significant portion of our fellow citizens would like to actually happen, including our loving vice president.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

whowhatwhere posted:

Legion is a great show, but very much style over substance. Watch it when you want to be dazzled.

Style is substance in Legion. TV shows have been, until recently, known more for plotting and characters than anything else. but TV is, like film, a visual medium defined by editing. It's been constrained by budget, and by being seeing as more of a purely commercial product. But now that TV shows can succeed only appealing to a niche audience, the kind of experimentation Legion pulls is enabled. It's beautiful. Hannibal did the same thing. It's a loving miracle Hannibal existed, and for three seasons. Peak TV, my friends.
Noah Hawley and Bryan Fuller also seem to be operating in the same mode of pushing the boundaries of how TV shows operate. both are big fans of subverting expectations, and then making you wonder why those expectations existed in the first place, and why do things even have to be that way. in Legion in particular, Hawley does something totally unexpected with the first few minutes of the last episode, something that turns the situation on its head, and offers the sort of empathy that's usually missing in shows about heroes and villains.

Spatula City fucked around with this message at 18:31 on May 27, 2017

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

STAC Goat posted:

American Gods seems to be playing pretty fast and loose with tone and focus so far. It does seem like they're trying to work a lot of stuff in with the American Gods novel as the framework. And that could definitely fall apart sooner than later. But for now I'm enjoying it so I'm not going to worry about what might be 3, 5, or 7 years from now. How many shows last 7 years even if they want to? That seems like a weird way to be looking at a show that is 4 episodes in, unless you're DEEPLY invested in the source material.

Which again, is why I'm avoiding the thread like the plague.

American Gods is one of those shows that was always going to have a terrible thread. it's been telling whatever stories it wants to tell, under the logic that, well, the show says "American Gods", not The Adventures of Shadow Moon. and thus people who always watch superhero and action shows, and look for tight plotting tune into American Gods, and flip their poo poo.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

Apoplexy posted:

I... really enjoyed the trailer for The Orville and found it funny as hell in a Galaxy Quest vein. I can't wait.

It looks more authentically Star Trek than the actual new Star Trek. like, to the point I feel like McFarlane probably loves Star Trek a lot more than the new Star Trek showrunners.

also I now love Adrianne Palicki because of Agents of SHIELD.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

raditts posted:

Only the first 6 episodes are arguably worth watching for the "dumb poo poo roast" factor. The rest beyond that are just aggravatingly "why did I waste my time on this poo poo" not-even-in-the-fun-way bad.

Like yeah Moffat had some real stinkers, but at least he's not Russel T. Davies. He never made a Love and Monsters.

No, he made Let's Kill Hitler. which is actually worse. :colbert:

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

MiddleOne posted:

That's debatable. Everything pivots around the the ongoing farce and ties back into it. Even canoe man at his most egregious ties directly into the main plot in the very same episode he's the focus of. John Travner seems to hate his job, why hasn't he tried to quit at any point? Canoe man exists to show that he has tried and that he can't. He also helps move the story along with the album. Again while Travner is the main character the farce is the main plot, why things can't return to normality and why they keep cascading into insanity is what the entire show is about. Patriot is to some degree character driven but at the same time I'd argue that it's distinctively not in how it paces itself. The show spends a lot of time building on characters for future events but it never allows them to detract from the episode they are in. The pacing never drops.

To put this in contrast, the last episode of American Gods spent a staggering 39 minutes of its run-time on flashbacks to a character that's not part of the story to end on a note that might as well be summed up with 'gently caress you'. Whatever momentum the season had going just deflated like the worlds saddest balloon to establish one aspect of one side character that's not even the focus of the flashbacks ostensibly about him. Apparently, leprechauns are fickle. Thank you show, clearly that couldn't have been communicated in any other way. You know, except that character being fickle since the very first episode he was introduced in making this entire thing pointless. Oh well.

It doesn't serve any real purpose and is a complete waste of time. There's like 10 minutes that are actually relevant to moving the story forward. (crow, crash, coin) In a better show they would have been part of an episode focused on the main plot.

Or. Perhaps, and this is just a suggestion, maybe American Gods doesn't really give a gently caress about plot momentum, and "relevance" to the plot misses that the show is trying to be expansive in its scope. If you didn't like that particular story, that's fair, but if the way you evaluate television is based on how tight the plot is and how much forward momentum it has, do not watch American Gods. This is not meant as a knock on your taste, it's just that the showrunners of American Gods are operating in a different mode from most other TV shows, and it's not a mode to everyone's taste.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

I loved all of it, especially the ambiguous ending.

David Thewlis and Mary Elizabeth Winstead deserve all the awards.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

Lurdiak posted:

Getting an actual beloved actor/actress with significant chops would be breaking with the show's tradition.

Peter Capaldi may not have been super-beloved, but if you haven't seen In the Loop I feel bad for you.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

also, when he was a lot younger, he was in Local Hero, which is a great underseen movie everyone should watch.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

Came down with a bug and ended up mostly watching a fuckton on Netflix.

Takeaways:
BoJack Horseman s4 is not quite as good as the first 3 seasons - it feels very transitional. There's a lot of good in it, however, and everything relating to BoJack's mom is incredible. also Hollyhock is the best.
Master of None s2 is very very good aside from 1 or two midseason episodes. "The Thief" was fantastic. And the episode that focused on the doorman, the convenience store lady, and the cab driver was brilliant.
haven't quite finished it, but season 1 of Galavant owns, is good and cool, and I can't fathom how it got a second season.
Riverdale is...fun? Sometimes it gets too CW-y, and it could do a lot more with the "parents suck, kids shouldn't be held responsible for their parents' sins" angle. Archie's dad being the only good-ish parent was pretty funny. Obviously the Blossoms beat out anyone else though, holy poo poo. but Betty's parents are evil in a more plausible, stomach-churning way. And Veronica's mom is soooooo complicit in whatever poo poo her husband was into, and probably not actually remotely guilty about any of it.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

Niwrad posted:

Netflix has a lot of good shows, it just doesn't really have great shows. Maybe The Crown fits in that mold but their next biggest prestige drama is House of Cards which is complete garbage now. They still won a bunch of awards and were nominated for a bunch more.

My problem with some of the awards is shows that have 20 episodes are competing with shows that have 8. Veep is nice and all but if they had to put out as many episodes as Blackish, would it still be good? Maybe the category should be split into short and long season.

Also I'd be fine with a "Dramedy" category. Transparent, Master of None shouldn't be competing with Veep. Different kinds of shows.

Netflix has plenty of great shows, they're just not the ones on the Emmy Awards' radar, except for Master of None. Lady Dynamite is AMAZING. Dear White People and Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt are stellar, in my opinion.
They've struggled to produce an actually great dramatic show, though. Stranger Things is better than the prestige poo poo they put out, but it has its own issues.

and then BoJack Horseman is a stone-dead TV classic in the making.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

less laughter posted:

The Crown got 13 nominations.

I said "great shows". :smugdog:

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

IRQ posted:

Killjoys is the vastly superior canadian genre show.

What we really need is the aussies to get back in the game. With puppets, of course.

Killjoys is so much better than it has any right to be. I went in thinking it'd be stupid, but it's really fun, has good characterization, and although basically nothing it's doing hasn't been done elsewhere, it does those things well. It's like a really great cover album. and I've only seen the first season and parts of the second! it seemed to be on an upward arc in terms of quality, having laid the groundwork in terms of setting and characterization.
There should be more pulp sci-fi TV shows.

Also, unrelated, Iron Fist is better than its reputation. Don't get me wrong, it can't hold a candle to even Luke Cage in terms of Marvel Netflix shows, but the hate it got from some quarters seems to me to be based on it not being what people wanted, and rejecting the story it was telling off the bat without giving it a chance.
You see, the show does know that Danny Rand is an idiot. Iron Fist is the story of a purehearted hero who is continually gaslighted and manipulated by awful people who play on his good intentions for their own ends. The show also knows Danny is in a state of arrested development, and he acts childishly because in a lot of ways, he still is a kid.
I do think the pacing, plotting, writing, and in particular the cinematography were weaker than they ought to have been, but Finn Jones was PERFECTLY CAST FOR THE ROLE AS WRITTEN, and played it exactly as intended.
When you watch Iron Fist as if it's really called "Danny Rand, Idiot Hero, Makes Everything Worse", the show is pretty fun.

Spatula City fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Nov 28, 2017

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

less laughter posted:

Yeah this current one is one of the all-time weakest seasons but the season earlier this year (with Officer Sarah winning) was one of the all-time greatest, so that makes up for it.

No, that season was pretty bad, too. My only hope for the redemption of this season is that that douchebag "I'M A MARINE DID I MENTION THAT YET NO LET ME EXPLAIN THEN" loses to like, the sex doctor or something. The full Gabon. The Marine winning would cement the season as bottom tier garbage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

muscles like this! posted:

In better TV news, Netflix has renewed Dark. Which is good because the first season kind of ends on a cliffhanger (although you know the character has to get out of it okay due to time travel) but it would be nice to get some answers about what Claudia was up to.

whew, I'm relieved. I was a bit miffed that the show wasn't one self-contained season, and the finale raised more questions than it answered. I feel like it would be appropriate for it to run 3, and only 3 seasons, for REASONS.

• Locked thread