Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Hi, it's 2017. This month's discussion thread for the first month of the new year is to talk about your favorite annuals. Annuals are great. And we now will celebrate them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
Actually we still have about 7 hours left of this lovely year. You just jinxed everything.

Edit: best annual was the elseworld annual for Legends of the Dark Knight called citizen Wayne and imagined Batman in the movie of Citizen Kane.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
New Mutants Annual #3 is one of my favourite single issues of any comic.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

The Annuals crossing over Hanna-Barbera and DC are maybe the comics I'm most looking forward to this year.

Flight Bisque
Feb 23, 2008

There is, surprisingly, always hope.
You've been doing the thread up a bit. I don't like it.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
Does Spider-Man Versus Wolverine count as an annual? Cuz it was pretty good.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.
My favorite is Fantastic Four Volume 1 Annual 3 - when Reed and Sue get married.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Too bad this is the last year for annuals. 🤓

My favorite annual is the bloodlines annuals because I haven't read them and they sound like batshit insane crap.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib

Mr Hootington posted:

Too bad this is the last year for annuals. 🤓

My favorite annual is the bloodlines annuals because I haven't read them and they sound like batshit insane crap.

The bloodshot annuals scared the gently caress out of me as a kid so boooooo

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

I've always had a soft spot for ASM Annual #21.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I also like Fantastic Four Annual #1 where Namor invades New York.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Wheat Loaf posted:

I also like Fantastic Four Annual #1 where Namor invades New York.

Has anyone done a count of how many times that's happened? I know that wasn't even the first.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Everyone knows the only good annuals were the ones from that year that Marvel decided that every single one needed a new character. Complete with polybagging and trading cards.

It gave us such great characters as X-Cutioner, Bloodwraith, Wildstreak, Darkling and Cadre. It also gave us the best character in comics, ADAM X!

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

RevKrule posted:

It gave us such great characters as X-Cutioner, Bloodwraith, Wildstreak, Darkling and Cadre. It also gave us the best character in comics, ADAM X!

Bloodwraith has been trapped within the borders of a small Balkan country where Ultron killed everybody for almost 20 years at this point.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I loved any annuals drawn by Arthur Adams: Uncanny X-Men Annual #9 (concluding the Asgard storyline from the New Mutants Special Edition), #10 (introducing Longshot), and #12. His art was such a cut above, they seemed like bigger, more important events.

The first four G.I. Joe Yearbooks were pretty great, back in the day.

By the late '80s and throughout the '90s, annuals seemed like more of an unnecessary cash grab, with untested creative teams (especially artists) behind inconsequential crossovers and low-level "events."

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

Yvonmukluk posted:

I've always had a soft spot for ASM Annual #21.

Same here. I get people saying the wedding story overall was rushed (because they wanted to time it with the comic strip), but darn it, that's a good issue.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

RevKrule posted:

Everyone knows the only good annuals were the ones from that year that Marvel decided that every single one needed a new character. Complete with polybagging and trading cards.

And the Bantam!

The latest Batman Annual was quite good.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I liked the one that ran through the annuals of Hulk, All New X-Men, and Spock. Spock gave some advice to the time displaced X-Men and it was the only time I ever really liked them.

RevKrule posted:

DC did that too, with the Bloodpack(iirc?). The only lasting impression any of them made was that Ennis made fun of the guy who could turn anything into a gun in Hitman One Million.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

WickedHate posted:

I liked the one that ran through the annuals of Hulk, All New X-Men, and Spock. Spock gave some advice to the time displaced X-Men and it was the only time I ever really liked them.

DC did that too, with the Bloodpack(iirc?). The only lasting impression any of them made was that Ennis made fun of the guy who could turn anything into a gun in Hitman One Million.

Gunfire!

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Robert Crumb's family holiday card is great.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Happy new years everybody :)

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I was thinking recently, if they made an Expendables where they fight a gang of supervillains who have teamed up to conquer the world, who would be the leader of the villains: Malcolm McDowell or Jeremy Irons?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
A clone of Stallone's character actually

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
It would have been Alan Rickman

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Jason statham was a Hydra agent this whole time?!?!

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I imagine that in this hypothetical movie, all of the henchmen would be clones of Tim Roth and Mark Strong.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

The lead bad guy would be John Malkovich. It's always John Malkovich.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Can't wait for the final fight with cg malkovich face on some 20something kickboxer body

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

site posted:

Can't wait for the final fight with cg malkovich face on some 20something kickboxer body

I'm into that.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DEilgTOrRzM

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

site posted:

He tears open his shirt and all of a sudden he's Bill Goldberg.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

drat that dude is ripped af

Wheat Loaf posted:

I would actually be super into this if they just have Goldberg stand in with no cg face and then when the fight is over and they go back to monologuing it's malkovich again and there's just no explanation or mention of the change

site fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Jan 1, 2017

Gummy Joe
Aug 16, 2007

Well, I wouldn't have Ol' Chomper here, that's for sure!

Wheat Loaf posted:

I've seen that movie before...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kobvCMSFDXU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Lol yeah this, ty naked gun

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Deadpool biannual was good clean fun

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

i do not like having faces on the eggs i'm about to eat

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Mr Hootington posted:

i do not like having faces on the eggs i'm about to eat

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Under Trump, every egg will be a racist caricature.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Magneto's powers work on all metals, even if they're not magnetic.

"Metal" doesn't mean anything in nature. It's just an arbitrary categorization humans made up.

The only logical explanation for this is that Magneto's power restrictions must be psychosomatic. Why would his natural, biological evolution powers be bound by human language? English isn't even his first language.

So here's my big event story concept: Magneto has a telepathic mutant (Quire? Doesn't matter who) manipulate his thoughts so that he is absolutely 100% convinced that all elements are metals, and holds the Earth hostage.

In one issue he tears Hulk into individual atoms, but Hulk's atoms get so mad they re-form.

The good guys win when a bunch of super geniuses invent a new element, and Magneto's ignorance of it means he can't control it and they use it to punch him in the face. It's highly unstable though, so whoever wears the Infinitum Gauntlet is sacrificing themselves to the incredible radiation. Nobody who is immune to radiation volunteers because every event needs a body count.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Reed Richards would confront him with a wooden gun, and it would leave Magneto so spiritually and mentally broken he agrees to come quietly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Wheat Loaf posted:

Reed Richards would confront him with a wooden gun, and it would leave Magneto so spiritually and mentally broken he agrees to come quietly.

Reed Richards is gone, and nobody can replicate the technology of his wooden gun.

• Locked thread