Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Squizzle posted:

I have no loving idea why anyone thought it was a good thing to put in a goddamn Avengers comic, but there you go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

No, I don't think they did it because of a Toys R Us shopping spree.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib

Squizzle posted:

I don't know man. I know a few people who went to Toys R Us only to end up setting a bunch of ants to kill their wives. I thought it was quite normal really.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Skwirl posted:

Killing and murder are different things.
let's discuss granularities of killing people itt

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
E&c has edited my post for a joke ive finally fuckin established myself in bss!!!!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Squizzle posted:

You don't know what I would have done for this as a child.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Squizzle posted:

It's not just the physical abuse, either—Pym serves up a cornucopia of deplorable poo poo there. He starts by basically slut-shaming; then tells her that being a minority is shameful and she had god drat well hope she can keep passing; then hits her for not respecting him enough; then, after his "oh no, I never meant to, baby darling let me help" fails, he accuses her of starting the fight; and, moreover, that she always does starts the fights (but "ends up worse" from them).

On a technical level, it's actually an impressively authentic depiction of an abusive, controlling husband/partner. I have no loving idea why anyone thought it was a good thing to put in a goddamn Avengers comic, but there you go.

I'll step up and say that the Ultimates was a revelation at the time. Nobody saw them as heroes. They were hardly sympathetic. Havent read it in a decade, but I study every page when I see a copy laying about. Thor joining the fight against Hulk is one of my favorite sequences of all time.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.

Open Marriage Night posted:

I'll step up and say that the Ultimates was a revelation at the time. Nobody saw them as heroes. They were hardly sympathetic. Havent read it in a decade, but I study every page when I see a copy laying about. Thor joining the fight against Hulk is one of my favorite sequences of all time.

They were stock Millar characters: hyper-competent, insufferable assholes under a thin veneer of pop culture references and schoolyard snark. This might not have been obvious at the time, since I'm pretty sure the Ultimates were among the earliest iterations of Millar's stock characters.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

The other day I went to Sundance because my brother wrote and directed a movie they were showing called Patti Cake$, about an overweight white girl from the Jersey suburbs who wants to be a rap star. Movie rules, there's a lot of good buzz coming out of it and Fox Searchlight already bought the distribution rights for $10.5 million, so check that poo poo out when it hits theaters.

Anyway, to make this on-topic, the lead actress Danielle MacDonald is getting a lot of critical acclaim and I can't help but want to see her be Faith when they get around to doing a Harbinger movie.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Gavok posted:

The other day I went to Sundance because my brother wrote and directed a movie they were showing called Patti Cake$, about an overweight white girl from the Jersey suburbs who wants to be a rap star. Movie rules, there's a lot of good buzz coming out of it and Fox Searchlight already bought the distribution rights for $10.5 million, so check that poo poo out when it hits theaters.

Anyway, to make this on-topic, the lead actress Danielle MacDonald is getting a lot of critical acclaim and I can't help but want to see her be Faith when they get around to doing a Harbinger movie.

So by knowing you am I one degree separated from famous people?

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

I'm three degrees from Kevin Bacon.

Are you in the movie, Gavok? If so, what wrestler were you dressed as?

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Madkal posted:

So by knowing you am I one degree separated from famous people?

Well, I've met Sami Zayn and Kevin Murphy, so yeah?

The biggest name in Patti Cake$ is basically Cathy Moriarty, so it's not much on star power.

Open Marriage Night posted:

Are you in the movie, Gavok? If so, what wrestler were you dressed as?

I was in a couple scenes as a pawn shop owner, but I got cut out due to a subplot getting cut for time.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Congrats to your brother Gavok, that sounds like a pretty big break!

Gavok posted:

Well, I've met Sami Zayn and Kevin Murphy, so yeah?

The biggest name in Patti Cake$ is basically Cathy Moriarty, so it's not much on star power.

I was in a couple scenes as a pawn shop owner, but I got cut out due to a subplot getting cut for time.

They cut the Dick Miller from Terminator character? Shameful.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Gavok posted:

While she's physically on point for Faith I'd have to see her act first. Faith is going to be a tough character to cast because of her unrelenting optimism and completely over the top positive nature. The role needs a really solid actress in order to pull that off because done the wrong way I could see it becoming really annoying on screen and it's an integral part of the character so you can't just not have her that way.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

If she has a stand-out role in a buzzed about indie movie, I'd say she's probably already surpassed this sorta thing ;)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQcLClgLfkg

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Jan 27, 2017

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

We're talking about the movie, not the Youtube series.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
I had a few drinks and then made a cyclops did nothing wrong shirt on cafepress. I am the most shameful secret

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Not until you make this shirt:

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Soonmot posted:

I had a few drinks and then made a cyclops did nothing wrong shirt on cafepress. I am the most shameful secret

My sleep shirt is red and says "Magneto was right." Kinda wanna get a shirt that says "Magneto was Left" just given the current political climate though.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Yeah there were already a bunch of Cylcops was right shirts out there, but I want the Did Nothing Wrong.

Squizzle, did you make the namor thong shirt?

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Just the picture. As far as I know, no one's made a shirt of it.

KaosMachina
Oct 9, 2012

There's nothing special about me.

Skwirl posted:

My sleep shirt is red and says "Magneto was right." Kinda wanna get a shirt that says "Magneto was Left" just given the current political climate though.

You've good taste.

KaosMachina fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Jan 29, 2017

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
What's Quentin Quire up to these days, the only X-Book I read at the moment is All New, and even that I'm only reading on Unlimited so I'm six months behind. Is my favorite phoenix host in any books at the moment?

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Gavok posted:

It just got some great buzz from New York Magazine:
http://www.vulture.com/2017/01/patti-cake-bridget-everett-danielle-macdonald-interview-sundance-2017.html

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Skwirl posted:

What's Quentin Quire up to these days, the only X-Book I read at the moment is All New, and even that I'm only reading on Unlimited so I'm six months behind. Is my favorite phoenix host in any books at the moment?
Apparently Jason Aaron got annoyed that everyone else was ignoring his creation, gone "gently caress it then I'll write him myself", and Quire will be showing up in Mighty Thor shortly.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Quentin Quire was created by Grant Morrison, though in that run he was completely unlike how he is now.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

CapnAndy posted:

Apparently Jason Aaron got annoyed that everyone else was ignoring his creation, gone "gently caress it then I'll write him myself", and Quire will be showing up in Mighty Thor shortly.

Well gently caress guess I should finally start in on Aaron's Thor.

KaosMachina
Oct 9, 2012

There's nothing special about me.

WickedHate posted:

Quentin Quire was created by Grant Morrison, though in that run he was completely unlike how he is now.

Honestly speaking, Quentin Quire in Wolverine and the X-Men is probably the best example of someone taking something from Morrison's run and actually improving upon it, because when that run starts he's fairly consistent with Morrison's Quire- hell, he starts off being forced into the school because the alternative was handing him over to SHIELD for a terrorist act- he went to some government building, mindcontrolled everyone there, and started up a bunch of trouble before the X-Men came and stopped him. And then he actually gradually proceeded to grow as a character.

Then the whole stuff with the future versions of all the x-kids happened and I lost track of what the hell was going on.

Fake edit: Not the Battle of the Atom stuff, I don't think. There are multiple 'future versions of characters come back to their past/the present' storylines with x-men. It's like a rite of passage there.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I know we talked about this image in a thread some time back, but I don't remember when, or which thread.

Snopes found it to be a legitimate thing, not something new:
http://www.snopes.com/superman-1950-poster-diversity/

Does anyone know where I could find a high-quality version of this image to blow up and print out? Or is this as good as it gets? I wish they sold it as a poster, honestly.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

WickedHate posted:

I know, that's why I thought it was quickest and simplest to refer to him the way I did.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

I know we talked about this image in a thread some time back, but I don't remember when, or which thread.

Snopes found it to be a legitimate thing, not something new:
http://www.snopes.com/superman-1950-poster-diversity/

Does anyone know where I could find a high-quality version of this image to blow up and print out? Or is this as good as it gets? I wish they sold it as a poster, honestly.

Typical coming from an illegal alien like Superman.

Kidding. This is just proof that Supes wouldn't tolerate whatever the gently caress it is that America is doing to itself.
gently caress even Luthor would have been more subtle in his evilness.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
https://twitter.com/philnoto/status/825484459814313985

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Stop moving the forum around!!!!

Badass.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Did Action Man already finish, or is it just on hiatus?

RhymesWithTendon
Oct 12, 2000

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

There's a higher-resolution and cleaner version of the poster (with some minor creases) on this auction page.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Lurdiak posted:

Stop moving the forum around!!!!
What?

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Madkal posted:

Kidding. This is just proof that Supes wouldn't tolerate whatever the gently caress it is that America is doing to itself.

That's exactly how we got the Justice Lords. :colbert:

I'm super salty because ever since Trump was elected and Nazis got punched, now everyone wants to dismantle the democratic process in favor of goodness through forced means like I've been saying for ages. I'm like the mythical seer Cassandra, cursed to always be right but never be believed.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

WickedHate posted:

That's exactly how we got the Justice Lords. :colbert:

I'm super salty because ever since Trump was elected and Nazis got punched, now everyone wants to dismantle the democratic process in favor of goodness through forced means like I've been saying for ages. I'm like the mythical seer Cassandra, cursed to always be right but never be believed.

Violence is acceptable as a means of excising virulent, existential threats to the common welfare and safety of the people, clear and present dangers to free society, not as a form of enforcing "goodness" or a sustained system of government. Most people who support punching Nazis are also against police brutality and the death penalty. Hth

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Nazis should be shoot and dumped into a shallow ditch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Two Nazis got punched and they're already having an existential crisis and have openly stated that if they can't be in public they can't win. I'm firmly in support of Nazi punching.

• Locked thread