Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Victor

It was a dream. It was certainly a dream. That was clear. But his dreams weren't usually that specific. And what this Terminus said had the ring of truth to it. Not that Terminus was telling the truth, necessarily, or at least the whole truth, but that this was a real thing, and not just a seeming. But, Victor lived by a few basic principles, and two of them were, "Nobody does anything for free.", and, "If you don't know who the sucker is, it's probably you." So he asks, "Wait. Why are you doing this? Why are you telling me this? What do you get out of it?"

Epicurius posted:

Victor

Name: Victor Talman, aka Dr. Meggore, aka Brother Robert, aka Sir Elias, aka Julius, Duke of Hastard, aka Marcus, aka aka aka......

The world is full of fools. Victor learned that very young from his father. His father was a "good" man. He worked hard. He was generous to his friends and neighbors. He also died poor, taken advantage of by those who could. Victor swore he wouldn't be like his father. He swore that he'd be a success, and that he'd never be taken advantage of.

So, after his father's death, Victor made his way to Haven's Reach. Haven's Reach was a major city. On the mighty Vielle River, it had become a center for trade and commerce, and dominated the area. The trade brought wealth, but the wealth brought a seedy underbelly as parasites came to feed off the wealth of the city. Pickpockets, burglars and smugglers all came to the area, but the place was disorganized, and the city became the home of rival gangs of thieves and black marketeers. This was inefficient. The thieves spent more time fighting amongst themselves than they did working. More, it brought visibility, as the rising violence came to the attention of the city authorities. That was when Balsten Terir stepped in. Terir was the head of one of the many gangs in the city, and he saw that all this fighting would do nothing but destroy them. He brought the gangs together in an alliance, brutally dealing with those gangs that wouldn't fall inline. It wasn't long before Balsten was the king of the underworld of Haven's Reach. Even though he was assassinated about five years later, the institution he built lived on.

This had all happened about a hundred years prior to Victor's arrival at Haven's Reach, and he found himself a place in the organization. Not for him crude violence of a stickup man, or scrambling around in the darkness like a second story man, or the skulking of a pickpocket. Victor soon learned that anyone could steal. The mark of true success was when you convinced someone to give you what you wanted. So Victor ran scams. Big ones, small ones, long ones, short ones. He learned that people would believe what they wanted to believe, even if it wasn't true; and that ignorance, greed, and pride were the best allies a man could have when separating someone else from their money. So Victor runs his cons, kicks a little bit of the winnings upstairs, and is free with the rest. But he still hopes, one day, he'll find the biggest con of all; something that will keep him rich for the rest of his life.

Wish: Wealth! Luxury! It's just unjust that there are so many fools out there who have money, while Victor doesn't. One of these days, he'll come upon the big score, the long con, and be able to live the life he deserves.

Traits: (Select 4)

Cunning +2 Victor's quick on his feet. He can lie and be believed, he's good at sizing people up, figuring out when he's in danger and not, and also good at getting out of there before the hammer comes down.

Charm +2 Victor can talk the bark off a tree. That's what he does. His whole career is based on convincing others that he's trustworthy, that he can help you, that he WANTS to help you.

Actor +2 Victor? Who's Victor? That's the famous doctor Meggore, who created that elixir to treat the fever. No, wait, that's Brother Robert, who's raising money for those war orphans. No, wait, that's the Duke of Hastard, who's raising funds to reclaim his kingdom from his wicked brother. No, wait, that's Sir Elias, who's looking for an investor in his new sawmill. Victor is very good at pretending to be who he's not.

Spendthrift +2 Victor enjoys the finer things of life. When he has the money, he splurges, on food, wine, and other luxuries. When he doesn't, he takes another job. He's not good with saving.

Drawbacks: (Select 2)

Unsympathetic -2 Victor is unrestrained by sympathy for others. It doesn't really enter into his calculations. This is not entirely a good thing, but it does free him up to act in ways the more squeamish might not.

Mistrustful -2 One of the drawbacks of lying for a living is that you assume everyone else is lying to you. In Victor's mind, there are marks and there are conmen....those who'll manipulate others and those who will be manipulated. Victor has partners, sometimes, but no friends, and when he has a partner, he only trusts him or her as far as he can see them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Victor

"Well, drat,", Victor says as he wakes up. So, this being had put him under some strange ban that he had no knowledge of. Well, he had some leads to fantastic treasures. So, that was something. And maybe it would be a good idea to get out of the city for a while before this "death of the gods" thing became better known. Not that he was entirely sure how somebody could tell. In his experience, priests talked an awful lot, but gods tended to be silent. Still, he touches the amulet to Kil-Jomrah, god of thieves and acrobats, that he wears around his neck. It's not that he ever WORSHIPED Kil-Jomrah, as such. Victor wasn't much of the worshiping type, and Kil-Jomrah didn't really have any temples as such; just little household shrines, and his "priest" in the city was a drunk guildsman who had gotten the position through the drawing of lots; not the kind of academic priests that other religions had. He'd be lying if he didn't confess to a whispered prayer now and then, of the "get me the hell out of this, you basard", variety. Still, he supposed, if any of the gods could have escaped Terminus's wrath, it would have been Kil-Jomrah. Victor half hoped he did.

So, after quickly breaking his fast, Victor heads out the east gate. He's played an alchemist before, but now he hopes to catch this transforming spirit and get its secrets out of it, however he can. if he can find the thing.

Heading east, after the transforming spirit

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Victor

Victor groans inside. The city's finest, taking advantage of a tragedy to shake down the public, especially hardworking businessmen like him. But outside, he's all smiles. He had some false coins that he could maybe slip them, but the powers that be were cracking down on counterfeiting, and besides, giving guards slugs was a good way to make an enemy of the entire guard. So, no, it was his tongue that would get him out of trouble, or so he hoped."But of course. In this time of tragedy, it's time for everyone to help, isn't it? Indeed, indeed, that's just why I'm out and about. I happen to be going out right now to guide an aid shipment towards the city. I'm sure when it comes back in, you'll want to inspect it, make sure there's no contraband. But it won't show up if I'm not out there. The benefactor is very....peculiar about his charity. Of course, if you don't want to let me out, well, I'll just go home, and he'll have to go back with the cart, and, of course, the poor city won't get the supplies."

Charm +2

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Victor

Victor sighs in relief as he gets through the gates. Finally, an honest guardsman. Of course, that mostly meant a guardsman who was willing to forgo graft now for the promise of future graft, but he took what he could get. Of course, getting back in the city later might be a problem. Unless he was able to find a cart, that is. Still, that was a problem for later. He had an earth spirit to deal with.

He took a moment to go over what he knew about earth spirits. They were spirits. He knew that. And they were somehow tied to the earth. All right, so he didn't know much about earth spirits. He never spent a lot of time knowing or even worrying about the supernatural or magic, and he regretted that. Still, if it was alive and thinking, it could be negotiated with or tricked. He had faith in that.

Searching for this spirit

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Victor

Victor wasn't a fan of small towns and villages. Everybody knew everybody, and they remembered strangers. They also tended not to have much in the way of money, and Victor liked money. Besides that, he'd had enough of outdoors as a kid, and small towns tended to rub your nose in the outdoors...literally sometimes, from the smell of cow dung that seemed to be coming from that pasture.

Still, this was as good a place as any for a bite to eat and confirmation he was on the right track....probably a better place than most, come to think of it. The little villages even further north really held no promise for strangers at all. He pulled a shawm out of his pack. He could play...not well enough to make a good living at it, probably, or at least not without more practice than he had, But well enough to fake it. All he had to do was play well enough that he could justify his presence here. And that, he could do. He stood on the town's main street, put out a bowl, and began to play.

Using Disguise +2 to impersonate a travelling minstrel. Playing, mingling, and keeping my ears open.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Victor

It was....possibly unfortunate, to be so memorable. Victor had always striven to be a face in the crowd....only noticeable when he wanted to be. Still, it could have been worse. He likely wouldn't be coming back this way after this mission were completed. Still, he made a mental note to remember his persona in this town. Oh well, at least he got enough money for lunch.

Being at the back end of nowhere, there's not much of a tavern, and it's inhabitants mostly a local crowd. Still, he wanders in, pays for what passes for food and beer in this place, and keeps his ears open. It's not likely he's going to hear anything particularly important (although if there is an earth elemental nearby, that's got to pass for news), but you never know, and it's good to practice listening, besides.

Eating, and listening in on rumors and gossip.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Victor

Victor nurses his beer and thinks about what he heard. Interesting. A bunch more leads, anyway. He still wanted to check out that earth spirit, but now there were a few other opportunities. That witch, for instance....what was that about? And what was going on with that monastery? Had the monks just left when the gods fell? If they had left, who knows what they had left behind. Monasteries had a reputation for being rich places, after all. And it was close. Maybe, since it was on the way anyway, he could check it out. He smiled as he finished his beer. Exactly. It was a plan.

Heading to the monastery and investigating..

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Victor

This wasn't good. Victor felt the hair on the back of his neck stand up. Maybe this was a bad idea. Or maybe he was just a superstitious fool. He had come this far, after all. It would be s shame to turn back now. Swallowing, he puts his shoulders back and begins to explore the monastery.

Exploring

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Victor

Victor wraps a rag over his face. Corpses? The monks, no doubt. Did they kill themselves after the gods were killed? Or was it something else? He's more cautious now, and draws a knife from his belt. He moves forward slowly, his eyes darting back and forth, wary and watching for any sign of the unexpected.

Continuing to explore....cautiously

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Victor

Poison. Well, he supposed it was a clean death, anyway. That was something. Victor sighs. At least he had the place to himself. Except, what was that? A light? Was someone else there, after all? He followed the light to see where it went.

Following the light.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Victor

It's all Victor can do not to jump back, but he makes himself stay calm. He considers his dagger for a minute, but how do you kill a spirit? He has no idea. No, this is a mattr for charm.

"Hello there. I apologize for intruding, but the word got out in the village that this monastery hadn't been heard from, so I decided to come and see if anyone needed help."

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Victor

Victor looks at the ghost of the monk. "Well, if you don't want my help, you won't get it.", he snarls. "I come, offering help and you spit in my face. Stay here, then, in your half life and be damned!" With that, he turns to walk out.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Victor

Victor struggles to keep his patience. "Oh, for gently caress's sake. Of course I came here to loot the monastery! So what?! You're dead! You can't steal from the dead! You assholes killed yourselves, so why do you care? Do you know the past couple of days I've been having? Do you?! My life used to be normal! Oh, it sucked. It sucked a lot, but it was a life! Now, in the past two days, in two days, mind you! First, I get a vision from some creature saying it killed the gods and I'm the chosen one and I need to go convince a spirit to give me his magic. Then I have to bluff my way past a guard who's looking to kick my rear end if she sees me again. Then, I find myself overnight in some hick town, playing music for cows! Now, a bunch of self righteous dead monks are berating me! No! No, more! You're dead, so shut up, do you hear me? Just shut up!", he screams.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Victor

Victor blinks and desperately tries to get the memory of the poison out of his head. He's so distracted by it that he barely hears the ghosts' cries. But he does hear them. "Necromancer?", he asks. "I'm not a necromancer! I don't even know what a necromancer is. Some kind of magic, isn't it?"

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Victor

"Oh, by the dead gods", Victor moans. He had no idea what was happening to him, but the ghosts, obviously, were complaining. He had heard of mendicant orders (and had even pretended to belong to one), and of contemplative orders, but this was his first experience with whining orders. Well, fine. He didn't know what this power was, but it felt good, very good. He would get more and use it if he could. He grasped at the blue energy tendrils, and pulled. Time to feed.

I'm hunting ghosts

Epicurius fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Apr 18, 2017

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Victor

That was...interesting. Victor didn't fully understand it, but it was interesting. There was power there. He felt it in him, growing, roiling. What could he do with it, though? What exactly was it? He had to know. He really wished this whole thing came with instructions, of some sort. Victor was standing in the monastery's dormitory. The ghosts were gone, most of them consumed, the few left having fled to who knows where. He sat on one of the hard cots, and buried his head in his hands. By the dead gods, what was happening to him? Why was he chosen for this? He felt like he was stretched, pulled out in all directions, unfocused. He still had the leads on the artifacts that Terminus had told him about, but before he could do that, he had to understand this new power in him. Until he did that, he knew, he'd be constantly wandering, constantly aimless. He closed his eyes, and tried to focus; tried to understand; tried to guide this feeling of power.

Trying to figure out these powers more

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Victor

Victor stares at the spirit and considers. He'd like to consume it, no doubt. The feeling of that was wonderful. But, no. No point doing so now. Not when he could use it. "You! Come with me! You will accompany me on my travels and share any information you might think I need." And with that, he prepares to leave the monastery and continue to the water spirit.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Viktor

"Don't put this on me!", Viktor snaps. "You're dead. You took your own life. Nothing I did contributed to that! And now you're worried about oblivion? You're all shadows of what you were, who chose to give up everything you had because you were afraid. If I ate the others, all i ate were shadows and memories." He pauses. "Come on. Let's go look for that water spirit." And then he walks out without looking back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Viktor

"Best we avoid the town up ahead. I don't want to have to explain why I have a ghost following me." He grimaces. "I hate having to sleep outside." The two set out, ready to give the town a wide berth.

"So, how did you come to become a monk....before, well, you know?", Viktor asks the ghost.

• Locked thread