Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheFireMagi
Nov 6, 2011

...She's behind me, isn't she?
Dragomir

As the dream came to an end, Drago came to a rude awakening, having tossed and turned out of bed. He had not expected an actual answer from the man in his dreams, this ‘Terminus.’ Or should he say, answers, as there were indeed multiple. Even the question the lizardman had hastily called out was answered.

“Wait, dream man,” he had shouted, his thoughts lingering on the library Terminus spoke of, “Knowledge is of no use if Drago goes mad gaining it. How then might this tome be read without breaking Drago’s mind?

The lizardman stood up and dusted himself off as he ruminated over the events of the dream, his tail whipping excitedly back and forth. As enjoyable as his time in Lho-Rhydia had been, for the most part anyways, it seemed there was much for him to gain by venturing out into the world. Dwarven stones, elven legends, and powers of the mind… so much to learn, so much to do! Feeling more cheerful than he had in quite some time, Drago hummed to himself as he packed for the journey ahead.

TheFireMagi posted:

Dragomir aka Drago

Traits
Inquisitive [+2]
Resourceful [+2]
Easy-Going [+2]
Resolute [+2]

Drawbacks
Naivete [-2]
Clumsy [-2]

Wish
"Desire, dream man? Drago desires to know how all things in this world work. For example, why is it that the yawning of one man causes the yawning of another? It is most puzzling to Drago, and would be very much welcome if you could answer, dream man.”

TheFireMagi fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Jan 1, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheFireMagi
Nov 6, 2011

Dragomir - Lho-Rhydia

With his assortment of basic tools stored away, Drago gathered up what little coin he had left and set out from Warehouse Nine. Even to his somewhat distant mind, the frantic atmosphere of the port city was easily noticeable, and he found his cheerful mood dampening slightly. Not one to let things bother him for long, however, the lizardman quickly turned his attention to what else needed to be done.

There were supplies, of course. Food and water were necessities for all creatures. Just how much he would need, on the other hand, Drago was far from certain. It wasn’t as if he had travelled such distances often. Or ever, really. He didn’t have much coin to spend on such supplies either, though he was frankly used to that part. It was why he kept track of which stores had the lowest prices for which goods, as well as which stores were closest to one another so that he had to make as few trips as possible. Yes, supplies he could handle, at least so Drago thought.

The real question was how he should leave the city. By land, or by sea? Glancing at the docks as he passed by, it didn’t look as if there were any ships remaining. Yet to cross the mountains on foot would take… quite some time, presumably. While most might be worried about the dangers of taking such a journey alone, Drago’s concern was reaching this buried library as fast as possible so he might begin his studies sooner rather than later. As such, he needed to find a captain and ship that had survived the storms. Thinking back, the lizardman seemed to recall a Friedrich Somethingorother that used to boast about the hardiness of his vessel or some such. Perhaps if Drago asked around, the good captain and his crew might still be found.

Trying to grab supplies with as much bang for my buck, and then heading off to find Captain Friedrich or whomever might still be alive, assuming I can do both. Since this seems like it’d be two rolls, using Resourceful [+2] for the supply run and Inquisitive [+2] for the captain search.

TheFireMagi
Nov 6, 2011

Dragomir - Lho-Rhydia

Being charged extra wasn’t quite what he was hoping to hear, but it made sense. Still, it left Drago’s pouch feeling emptier than he liked as he handed an assortment of coins over to Captain Friedrich.

“Here you are, captain. It leaves Drago even poorer than normal, but it should be enough for the journey. If you and your men are able, then leaving tomorrow suits this one just fine.”

Paying the captain and taking on Poor. Wanting to head towards the great lake beyond the mountains, but I’m unsure if the captain has a particular route in mind or not. If so, I’ll go along with that, otherwise it seems like curving around the southern part of the continent seems quickest.

TheFireMagi
Nov 6, 2011

Dragomir - Lho-Rhydia

“Docks, sundown. Drago understands, and will return then.”

In other words, that meant he had some time to kill. He could simply return to Warehouse Nine, wait out the hours until the captain was ready to leave. But with all that happened, the lizardman was feeling somewhat restless, reluctant to just sit around and waste daylight. If he was going to have to wait until sundown, Drago figured he might as well do something productive with that time. Finding some information about this library he was searching for, perhaps.

Dragomir is going to spend the time before sundown asking around for any rumors or knowledge about this buried library, and then return to the docks once it starts to get dark.

Inquisitive [+2] - The people of Lho-Rhydia are all too familiar with the lizardman and his persistent questions, and are well aware that simply answering him as best as they are able is the most effective method of getting him to stop.

Naivete [-2] - Of course, that was in normal circumstances, and not in a chaotic environment where people were fearing for their futures. The notion that people might not be so willing to answer questions while panicking over the deaths of their deities was lost on Drago.

TheFireMagi
Nov 6, 2011

Dragomir - Lho-Rhydia

Hours passed, and Drago’s inquiries were… mildly productive. Nothing concrete, unfortunately, but it was interesting information nonetheless. He would have to keep this kingdom of legend in mind, especially once he begun his search for the library in earnest. Hopefully, the villages near the lake in question would have a little more to work with. Speaking of, the lizardman thought as he watched the sun begin to fall beneath the sea, he had to meet back up with Captain Friedrich. Hurrying as fast as his feet could take him, Drago sped off to the docks.

Running back to the ship before it gets too dark. If it matters, Dragomir is doing this without any attention to his surroundings.

TheFireMagi
Nov 6, 2011

Dragomir - Griesaze

Four days had passed since Drago had set off from Lho-Rhydia, and the lizardman was finding himself quite at ease. Despite the damages the ship had taken, Captain Friedrich and his crew kept the whole journey moving more than smoothly, leaving Drago with plenty of time on his hands. On the first day, he originally began to make plans for what to do once they reached landfall, but quickly found himself relaxing and simply enjoying the ride. It was the first time he had left the port-city, after all, at least with no intent to return for the foreseeable future. Who knew when he might get a chance like this again?

Such thoughts were why the lizardman was lazily dangling his feet off the edge of the ship as one of the deck hands reported back. Concerned by the sudden grim expression upon the Captain’s face, Drago made his way over to the pair, steeling himself for bad news.

“Is there a problem, Captain? Something that Drago can assist with, perhaps?”

Directly questioning Friedrich. Let’s see what mess we’ve gotten ourselves into.

TheFireMagi
Nov 6, 2011

Dragomir - Griesaze

Drago gave a somewhat sage nod as he listened to the captain speak. It was certainly quite the problem, and one that the lizardman wasn’t entirely certain how to solve. It wasn’t as if he could make supplies appear out of thin air, after all. The news that Warchen was in a less than hospitable state was unpleasant to hear as well, and Drago offered a silent prayer that the riots might end without too much loss. Not that there were gods left to hear his prayer, though that fact had yet to truly register in Drago’s mind. Bringing his attention back to the matter at hand, the lizardman replied to Captain Friedrich after consideration,

“But we still have some supplies left, yes? Perhaps… if all eat and drink less, then they might last longer? Enough to make the journey, or at least reach Yaevan? Drago included, of course.”

Suggesting to crack down and help the captain better ration what supplies we have. Might make the crew unhappy, but at least we’ll hold out.

Resourceful [+2] - Never being particularly affluent in the first place, this isn’t Drago’s first time trying to make a small amount of food/water last a fairly long amount of time. Sure it’s for an entire ship this time, but details.

Resolute [+2] - In times like these, Drago proves to be surprisingly resilient to hardship, and even more so when he has a goal like the library in mind.

TheFireMagi
Nov 6, 2011

Dragomir - Griesaze

At the captain’s words, the lizardman’s face immediately dropped into a small frown. It would have been one thing if the captain had denied his suggestion, but to be held back by something like this was… somewhat irritating, he had to admit. Tapping his feet and swishing his tail back and forth, Drago paced around the ship, not at all quiet as he thought.

“Merchants, merchants… what can be done about merchants… merchants like… coin? Yet Drago has such little coin, not nearly enough to satisfy. But if they do not agree, then neither will the captain, and if the captain does not agree…”

Letting out a snort, the lizardman whipped around, and returned his attention back to Captain Friedrich.

“Is it possible for Drago to meet with these two troublesome passengers? Perhaps they can be convinced? Drago admits his tongue is not made of silver, but perhaps if the situation is properly explained to them, they will be willing to listen.”

And if they didn’t, then… well, Drago would figure it out then.

Asking the captain if I can meet with these jerks. Might as well at least try and talk things out with them.

TheFireMagi
Nov 6, 2011

Dragomir - Griesaze

“Drago only wished to be certain, as rules must be respected. But one captain’s rules is not like all captains, just as Drago is not like all lizardfolk.”

That piece of apparent wisdom out of the way, Drago gave a short nod and bow to Captain Friedrich before heading towards the cabins. While he was unfamiliar with the merchants in question, the lizardman mostly having kept to himself on this voyage, a word or two with various crew members led him to the right room. Reaching for the door for a moment, Drago paused after a second of thought, before knocking twice.

“Pardon Drago for the rudeness, but would merchants allow Drago in? There is a concern about the matter of supplies that Drago feels must be addressed, and speaking is much easier when face is to face. Also, captain has said that it is dangerous if merchants have blockaded door for some reason. If you have done so, Drago advises to not.”

TheFireMagi
Nov 6, 2011

Dragomir - Griesaze

Such rudeness! To insult Drago by calling him witless was one matter (though the reptile part bounced off him, as to him it was simply what he was), and to accuse him of palaver was quite another! Not that the lizardman knew what the word meant, but it was apparent enough that it was no compliment. But as the footsteps approached the doorway, Drago felt his spirit begin to rise hopefully, and then fall again as the door remained closed. Very well, he thought, if the merchant wishes to play stubborn, then so will Drago. Sitting opposite from the door with his legs crossed, Drago loudly cleared his throat, and then began to speak.

“Ahem! Since Miss Merchant has chosen to keep Drago out, Drago shall continue his thoughts from the hallway. The issue is as such, Miss Merchant: there are not enough supplies for all aboard ship to complete the full journey, and Drago must make this journey. As counterplan, Drago then proposes to the captain that supplies should be rationed, at the very least until ship reaches Yaevan. Captain agrees, but says that Miss Merchant would never agree.

Now, Drago understands that Miss Merchant would wish to eat and drink well on what voyage remains. However, consider this, Drago asks: If supplies run out, then ship can not move. If ship can not move, then Miss Merchant cannot finish journey. And if Miss Merchant cannot finish journey, then she cannot make coin! Unless she would like to walk rest of way, but as Drago is hesitant to do so, it is doubtful that Miss Merchant is willing either. Thus, it is in the best interests of all that Miss Merchant agrees to Drago’s plan to ration! Does she not agree?”

His overtly long spiel finished, the lizardman sat back, waiting to see if he got a response. If not… then he would begin again. And again. Indeed, he had full intent on waiting here for as long as he had to. But surely, the merchant would see the sense in Drago’s plan? If her desire was to make a profit, then she must understand that something had to be done about the supplies?

That was a lot of broken words to basically say: Drago is attempting to logically (?) break down the fact that it’s in the merchant’s best interests in the long run to just go with the ration plan, at least until Yaevan where hopefully there’ll be more supplies. If she doesn’t say anything, then Drago’s gonna just creepily hang outside her room and repeat his argument until she either agrees or (more likely) yells at him to bugger off.

Resolute [+2] - This entire plan is more or less Drago beating his head against a brick wall and hoping it works. Thankfully, the lizardman can be fairly stubborn about things like this when it counts!

Naivete [-2] - On the other hand, this entire plan is kind of awful, and hinges on the hope that the merchant will eventually just cave in and essentially cut her losses. Surely she’ll agree after Drago repeats his inane argument for the third time in a row though?

TheFireMagi
Nov 6, 2011

Dragomir - Griesaze

Though his voice was now rather hoarse from his repeated lecturing, Drago stood proud at his relatively successful result. True, Miss Merchant Noblewoman was still demanding some extra rations, but only a token amount, and at least she had agreed. It was, the lizardman felt, likely the best outcome they were going to get. Cheerfully humming off-tune, Drago returned to the deck (or wherever Captain Friedrich may have wandered off to) to report in. Once found, Drago said,

“Good news, Captain! With clear logic and determination, Drago has managed to get Miss Merchant to agree to the rationing. Unfortunately, Miss Merchant still asks for extra, but as it is but a small amount, Drago is willing to sacrifice. Unless there is more problem that Drago does not know of, it seems that the ship should be able to set sail now, yes?”

OOC: Offering to give up part of my rations to appease the noblewoman. I’m imagining Drago is probably going to suffer from some kind of drawback as a result, but that’s fine, he’s a big lizardboy.

TheFireMagi
Nov 6, 2011

Dragomir - Yaevan

At long last, Dragomir landed upon the docks of Yaevan, in spite of numerous troubles on his voyage. The lizardman felt ready to leap for joy, before remembering this was far from his final destination. After all the difficulties, he had almost forgotten about the library he was in pursuit of. Almost. The question was, how to proceed from here? It was still some distance from Leindor, and Drago had few resources remaining to work with, both in food and coin. Two great problems that needed to be addressed, not even including finding some leads. Considering this for a few moments, the lizardman went off to find Captain Friedrich, asking once he was found,

“Excuse Drago, captain, but now that the ship has made land, a few questions have come to mind. Would you by chance know of a route to the capital of Redovan? Safe or quick, either is acceptable with Drago. Opportunities to earn food or coin would be useful knowledge as well, and Drago would be very much appreciative.”

Gonna probe the Captain to see if he knows anything before I go wandering off on my own.

TheFireMagi
Nov 6, 2011

Dragomir - Yaevan

A barge… just the thought of it made Dragomir frown. It wasn’t as if his journey on Captain Friedrich’s ship was unliked, but after all the trouble, it would be some time before the lizardman desired to take to the waters once again. For one, he hadn’t realized how much he enjoyed, even needed being able to properly stretch his legs and tail while sleeping. For another, he thought while recalling the noblewoman, some isolated travel could be nice for a change. Yes, Drago decided, the land route would be the one he’d take. That would be later, however. Right now, he needed coin to fill both his pocket and his stomach. With that, Drago gave a small bow and replied,

“It is seen and heard, and Drago thanks you for your advice, Captain Friedrich. If a good word could be put in at some workplace, then Drago would be even more appreciative. But, er, perhaps something away from ships if possible. Some time to savor the land is needed after our voyage, Drago thinks.”

Taking up the captain’s offer and going to look for some preferably land-based work before continuing on my journey. This lizardman’s been broke since Lho-Rhydia, after all.

TheFireMagi
Nov 6, 2011

Dragomir - Yaevan

“Ah, apologies, Captain, for not being more specific. Hm… though Drago is fond of animals, tending to them is another in its entirety. Singing is pleasant, but Drago would not claim to be particularly skilled. Hm… guide work, did you say, Captain? Drago is not yet familiar with this city, nor any shortcuts that might exist, but given some time to explore… yes! Indeed, Drago thinks guide work should be most suitable.”

Sure, let’s try doing some guide work! Not sure if this would apply now or later, but I was thinking Inquisitive [+2] and Resourceful [+2] for figuring out the best ways to get around town quickly, both by asking locals and some self-exploration.

TheFireMagi
Nov 6, 2011

Dragomir - Caravan

The lizardman had to admit, when he first left Lho-Rhydia, there were the lingering seeds of doubt as to whether his journey would be successful. But look at him now! So close to his destination, and without too much trouble. He even had the fortune to find work taking him to Leindor. As he climbs aboard the caravan, he says,

“Drago is most grateful for your offer, and happily accepts. Request of Drago what you will, and Drago shall provide aid however possible. It is the least that can be done. Perhaps the stitching of clothes? Some experience with a needle is had. Or perhaps there are tools or equipment that need repairing? Drago keeps around no shortage of spare parts at all times. Or perhaps…”

OOC: Accepting the offer to tag along with the caravan.

TheFireMagi
Nov 6, 2011

Dragomir - Farm

All things considered, Drago had to admit his new line of work was quite fun. His hands were often kept busy, and he was more than happy to share of what had occurred thus far in his journey from Lho-Rhydia. But as much as he enjoyed the company he was travelling with, the lizardman’s mind never strayed too far from his (first of many) final destination. As such, when the caravan stopped at a small farm, several questions came to mind.

“Drago and this caravan travel now to Leindor, and though thus far the road has proven safe, Drago worries whether it will remain as such. Has your village had dangerous encounters in the past? Bandits, or monsters perhaps, that Drago and company should be aware of? Which paths are safest and…” the lizardman paused, curiosity getting the better of him, “...would there be any landmarks that might interest a scholar such as Drago?”

Just asking some basic safety questions, plus a bonus ‘anything super cool around here’ since I figure Drago would be that kind of guy.

TheFireMagi
Nov 6, 2011

Dragomir - Redivar

Though a number of the sites he heard about at the farm caught his attention, even Drago understood that it would be quite impractical to go out of his way to visit them. For now, at any rate. Perhaps after he discovered this hidden library and read from its stores of knowledge, there would be time to sightsee afterwards. He had come all this way, after all, and it’d be a shame to leave immediately. That was a concern for another day, however. On this day, he had another city to explore and gather information from.

The royal library may have been inaccessible, (although Drago hoped to change that in the future as well) but there were other avenues to walk. Between a public forum or finding a specialist, both seemed profitable ventures to the lizardman. But the former would be easier to access, and could lead to finding the latter, and as such made more sense to try first. Logically speaking, anyways. From Drago’s perspective, he merely sought to interact with as many new faces in this new city as he could. But, well, so long as he got to the same destination in the end, the reasoning hardly mattered, right?

OOC: Whoops, missed the update! Anyways, rolling Inquisitive [+2] to head into one of these public forums to see if Drago can find someone that knows anything about the buried library, or if not then how to find someone that does.

TheFireMagi fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Mar 31, 2017

TheFireMagi
Nov 6, 2011

Dragomir - Redivar

It was interesting to Drago, to say the least. All of it. Magic and science, dragons and gods… Oh, the lizardman could have spent no small amount of time here, conversing with all of his fellow intellectuals, and no doubts he would have expanded his horizons for doing so. But again, that could wait until after the library was found. As much as Drago tended to take things at a… less than productive pace, by most people’s standards, he couldn’t help but feel excited, now that he was so close to his destination. Or so he assumed, at any rate. Heading over to the gathering of men and dwarves, Drago said,

“Apologies for interrupting, scholars, but Drago has come to Redivar in search of a lost library, said to be buried by the side of a great lake. In the particular, Drago seeks a tome that supposedly offers guidance in reading the heavens. Have any of you here heard of such a thing, be it fact or rumor? Any help at all would be of great help to Drago, and would be much appreciated.”

OOC: Being blunt and just getting to the point with these scholars, as Drago does. Other random inquiries can wait! For now, anyways.

TheFireMagi
Nov 6, 2011

Dragomir - Redivar

Peacefully ignorant of the small discussion and murmuring that his question seemed to have aroused, Drago gave another short bow to the man before him, finding him to be rather curious in appearance. Well dressed, and yet without too much jewelry. A more socially keen individual than the lizardman might have taken the speaker for an important or otherwise affluent figure, but one without too much focus on his appearance. A humble scholar of some renown, perhaps. Drago, however, was more interested with the man’s height, being of a fairly petite stature himself, and there was some amount of childish jealousy there too.

“Greetings to you as well, tall stranger. Drago is afraid that he knows not the specific name of either tome or library, as the one known as Terminus was not so kind as to provide such information. Beyond that the tome is said to be able to aid in reading the heavens, and the vague location of the buried library, Drago is most uninformed. Hence, why Drago has come seeking assistance. Be there, perhaps, ruins in the area from which seekers of knowledge rarely return? Drago imagines this tome likely to be in a dangerous place indeed, if it as valuable as Drago believes.”

OOC: I… don’t think I ever heard the name of the tome or library? It's been a while though, so if I’m wrong, feel free to yell at me and I’ll make edits. Also, Terminus namedrop to see if the name is recognized at all, OOC reasoning-wise. IC, Drago just doesn’t think much of it. :v:

TheFireMagi
Nov 6, 2011

Dragomir - Redivar

Excited to have finally heard what sounded like some concrete direction as to his destination, Drago clapped his hands together quite enthusiastically. Certainly, there was still the journey to be made, but at least he knew where to go. Except… access was restricted, and while the lizardman might consider himself many things, wealthy or important in the grand scale of things was not included among them. How troublesome! Especially as even beside the tome of Terminus’, this theological science sounded just so interesting to Drago. What to do…?

Then the man, the open man, the helpful man before him makes an offer. At first, Drago was all too willing to accept. This man had been of great assistance, after all, and it was only fair to return a favor for a favor. But then the snickering and snorting… the lizardman may have been naive, but he was not entirely foolish. Just mostly. Still, what could he do? He had no name, no reputation here, and barely the coin for food and housing. His tail swishing from side to side rather anxiously, the lizardman said after at least half a minute of thought,

“...Very well. Drago has decided to take the man on his deal, the terms to be determined once Drago acquires the tome Drago seeks.” A few more seconds of contemplation pass and he adds, “Though, a deal has been a struck, yet only one party is known. Drago would ask the name of the beneficiary.”

OOC: I see no way this can go wrong. Taking this shady offer and asking the shady man his name.

TheFireMagi
Nov 6, 2011

Dragomir - Redivar

Royalty. The word was known to Drago, though not entirely understood. He knew what it meant, of course, but not quite what it meant. The game of politics was not one he ever had much interest in playing, always seeming in a world far beyond him and his curiosities. But here before the lizardman was a genuine Royal, far from the throne he may or may not be. A dangerous sort to owe a favor to, no doubt. But he had already agreed to the terms of the contract, and Drago had no interest in backing out now. In part because of how close he was to his goal, and in part because he did not quite grasp the risks owing such a man might have. Returning the bow in an equally polite fashion, the lizardman said,

“Of consequence or not, it is the first time Drago has met a figure such as yourself. An honor, Royal Lyndis Olvan Der Korvanis.” Though it may have been just simple pleasantries, the lizardman was sincere in saying them. It wasn’t every day you met nobility, after all. “But to return to business. The deal has been accepted, and Drago will uphold Drago’s end when the time arrives. First, however, the Royal must uphold his. Where exactly then is this academy ruin you speak of, and how might your resources allow Drago entry?”

Been awhile but I did mention accepting the deal last post, so gimmie that info, Lyndis.

TheFireMagi
Nov 6, 2011

Dragomir - Redivar

“Ser Lyndis, then. Drago’s apologies.” It seemed odd to the lizardman to not address a noble by their full title, but what did he know of such matters? Not enough, it seemed. “Very well. If there is no other business, or requests, then Drago shall depart. Until the appointed time.”

Bowing once more, Drago left with a definite spring in his step. A favor might be owed, but at least he was quite close indeed to his first destination. Besides, the tome he sought aside, the ruins sounded rather intriguing on their own merits. Perhaps other old knowledge might be found there as well. Assuming they would let him take relics from the site. If not, well, that’d be a bridge he’d cross then. For now, Drago would sightsee a little more before retiring to an inn. Tomorrow promised to be a big day, after all.

OOC: Can’t think of anything else I want to do, so going to go ahead and skip to the next day/meeting, with a wake-up request to the innkeeper if the specifics matter.

TheFireMagi
Nov 6, 2011

Dragomir - Imperial Academy of Theological Science and Arcana

Riding horseback was an unusual experience for Drago. It wasn’t as if he travelled much, and even he did, he rarely had the coin to afford a horse’s upkeep. Not that it was his first time, but even after today he could count the amount of horses he had rode on one hand. The boat ride was much more comfortable for the lizardman, relatively speaking. Having his own bed was pleasant, and then there was the food! Quite luxurious by his standards, and Drago even dared to try the fine wine offered with the meal, despite tending to shy away from alcoholic drinks. It was, well… the walk to the academy could have been made easier, to put it one way.

But in the end, he, or rather, they arrived. And what a splendid sight it was! Yes, much of the actual structure had been worn down by time, and that was unfortunate in itself. Yet so much of the library itself remained! Really, that was what mattered, was it not? The knowledge, not the building that contained it. Well, there was those who could gain knowledge from the crafting of the building, but that was a field of interest that lied beyond the lizardman. Having guards with him was… not as nice, admittedly. Drago understood the reason for their presence, but he would have preferred to explore by his lonesome. Ah well. For now, the lizardman thought, let us see what can be found without starting trouble. Turning to the third guard assigned to him, Drago said,

“If you would, please show Drago to this section on thaumaturgy. Drago is not certain Drago would describe the tome Drago seeks as a ‘miracle’, but it seems a fair place to begin.”

OOC: Let’s start off simple and investigate what’s already known. Heading over to the thaumaturgy portion of the ruins to begin with. If this is a roll and not a manual search, then Inquisitive [+2] and Resolute [+2] seem appropriate for driving Drago fowards.

TheFireMagi
Nov 6, 2011

Impressive hardly managed to begin to describe how Drago felt about the sights before him. He had seen small collections of books, had a few of his own, and visited a library here or there. Yet this was on quite a different level indeed. Very, very impressive, thought the lizardman as he explored the ruined academy. Impressive, but was there anything meaningful here? Or rather, meaningful to his quest. There were countless interesting stories to be learned from these tomes, but only one in particular did he currently seek. And as far as Drago could tell, that tome was nowhere to be found. He was all too prepared to move on with his entourage, when he caught a familiar yet unfamiliar insignia in the corner of his eye.

The Stars Sleep Below As Above. He did not know what it meant, nor how he knew those words, yet he knew even so. Most curious. Was this a gift, assistance from Terminus? Or was it something else entirely? Drago was not sure, but whatever the case might be, his path was clear. A sign from his dreams led him to this academy, and now a sign from his dreams revealed a secret passage. It was time to see where it all led. Hopefully, somewhere pleasant. The lizardman looked back to his party as he started to move towards the entrance, saying,

“Come, come! Drago knows not for certain where this passage leads, but it must be valuable indeed if it was hidden so. Follow if you wish, or if your duty commands, but Drago shall head on regardless. Company, however, would be most appreciated.”

Checking out this secret passage, and inviting the rest of my party to come along with me if they so choose (and presumably they will, since they still need to keep an eye on my silly lizardman.)

TheFireMagi
Nov 6, 2011

If the previous tomes were impressive, then these new books were… still impressive, if in a greatly different sense of the word. “Alchemic Composition of A Human?” Intriguing. It may have been for another people altogether, but perhaps something could still be applied to the lizardfolk? “Bio-Aethic Combustion Principles?” Drago had absolutely no idea what this tome could be about, despite recognizing the words. Separately, he understood, yet together… “Bio” and “Combustion” in close proximity was fascinating, but could be dangerous indeed. Then there was “Splitting the Thaum -CLASS X DANGER-.” Thaum, as in thaumaturgy? But how would one split such a thing? And what doing so accomplish? Something most threatening, judging by the title. The lizardman peered at each title, before setting them aside. Each was alluring in their own ways, yet none were what he came here seeking. Then, Drago saw it.

"Stellar Uncertainty - The Relationships Between Celestial Bodies, Dilated Movement and Probability Mechanics." The lizardman thought back to what Terminus said, back in his dream. "By a great lake beyond the mountains lies a buried library, in which old and forgotten texts lie. Many of the scrolls and tomes have decayed, but one tome that remains details how to read the heavens and apply this knowledge to the world below.” This was a buried library by a great lake beyond the mountains. There were old and forgotten texts. And this tome, this tome mentioned celestial bodies, amongst other things. Surely, this was it? This was what he had journeyed all this way for? This… seemingly ordinary tome.

Somehow, Drago felt almost disappointed. He had expected something more upon the discovery. A guardian, perhaps, that would test his wits to see if he was worthy. Ah well. Here the tome was, and here he was before it. While the lizardman doubted he would be able to finish the tome in its entirety now, he could at least take a peek at the first few pages…

Popping open Stellar Uncertainty and glancing at the opening pages to get a sense if this is what I’m actually searching for or not.

TheFireMagi
Nov 6, 2011

quote:

"Dragomir, Dragomir, DRAGOMIR!" You finally startled out of your revery. "Gods, it's been hours Draogmir. We couldn't get through to you at all. We were getting worried the book was ensorcelled or cursed. Are you okay?"

The lizardman stared back at Lyndis in a daze, uncomprehending. Then, with a slow nodding of his head, he replied,

“Drago is… fine. Puzzled, astounded, but physically? Drago is well.”

He had found what he was searching for. And it was not at all what he expected. Powerful, certainly, yet not in the way he imagined. Such a wondrous tome it was, but the lizardman couldn’t help but wonder, who had written it? Who had penned such a frighteningly amazing book? And… why? Knowledge was meant to flow freely, always had Drago believed such a thing, and for the most part still did. But this? This was dangerous. Even as naive as he could be, Drago understood that. After all, he more than most had difficulty understanding the motives and reasoning of others. To be able to do so via equation was… interesting. Holding the tome in his hands, Drago tucked it underneath his arm, his tail timidly waving back and forth. Would he have to return it…?

His stomach growling, Drago set aside the matter of the Oracle Equations, challenging as it was to do so. All the knowledge in the world wouldn’t matter if he starved. But as much as he wanted to go for a meal right about now, there was something else to discuss first. Steeling himself, the lizardman looked up at Lyndis. A promise was a promise. At the very least, he would hear the royal out.

“Drago’s business here is complete, and Ser Lyndis’ side of the deal is honored. Drago’s, however, is not. So? What would Ser Lyndis have of Drago?”

OOC: Keeping Stellar Uncertainty on my person for the time being, and being upfront and asking Lyndis what he wants from me. Drago would prefer not to break his side of the deal, unless Lyndis asks for something seriously messed up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheFireMagi
Nov 6, 2011

Dragomir - On Lyndis’ Boat

At first, when Lyndis took the book, Drago was… frightened? Frustrated? He was not sure exactly what emotion it was, but he certainly did not like it. Yet the royal moved before he could respond, and as it turned out, perhaps this was for the best. That the guards would search the lizardman had not occurred to him, nor did the fact that they would not search the royal. If he had attempted to carry it out on his own, it could have led to quite the commotion. But it had not. And now Drago was sitting opposite Lyndis, considering how to respond. How could he describe it? Could he, in words?

“Drago is not certain how to explain. The tome, this Stellar Uncertainty, is potent, powerful. And dangerous, yes. For the tome held inside it equations. Many, many equations. And with these equations, Drago can… predict things. People, places, events. Single, or numerous. ...Or so Drago believes, if the tome was understood correctly. These equations take time to write in full, and Drago has not had the opportunity to attempt them. Indeed... in fact… if Ser Lyndis would give Drago space, an attempt could be made!”

Sudden inspiration took Drago, and he hopped off his chair, taking a piece of chalk out from his cluttered bag of belongings. If he started with the walls, perhaps used part of the floor, there should be enough space to write. But what to predict? Well, right now, they were on the sea… something related to the sea… threats to those on the seas… the possibility they would encounter a storm on their way back? Would that work? It should, shouldn’t it? Thoughts of asking permission completely lost, Drago began to scratch away with the chalk, thinking back on what he had read.

OOC: Briefly summarizing to Lyndis what Drago read, before doing as mentioned, attempting to predict the chance that our ship will encounter a storm just as an experiment. I believe this would be with Single Readings since it’s specifically our ship. Trait-wise, maybe Easy-Going [+2] since Drago is completely disregarding Lyndis as he does this and is entirely in his own, comfortable world. (Also because it occurred to me that I’ve had this trait the entire time and haven’t actually used it yet. :v:)

• Locked thread