Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

Odonata posted:

Gotta say, I'm worried about Gilchrist. I don't think he's handling the recent election well.

Is that really what that's referring to? I had the Gilch down as a trumpster for sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

One Big Happy is consistently good. I like the cast a lot, especially the old people (like that scary lady or the mean grandma Ruthie was talking to last week)

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

Mister Kingdom posted:

Ruthie and Hilary Forth are the best comic strip children. Now-defunct Stone Soup's Holly is probably the worst.

It's been a long, long time since I read Stone Soup, but I feel like retrospectively it embodied a lot of what people dislike about newspaper strips. Am I painting it wrong?

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

Today's Dogg TM and other non-Nancy drawings by gilchrist make me think of the Foglios a little bit

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

I need to shop this guy's face onto the panther in my av

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

Aardmania posted:

Piranha Club

My reaction to this was "what the gently caress" until I realized I guess the guy was saying that TO the old lady rather than vice versa? Still what the gently caress

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

RandomPauI posted:

I liked that family circus.

Same :)

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

Transmodiar posted:

I think I've mentioned it before, but their schedules aren't even possible. In general, a firefighter has a "one day on, two day off" schedule. That means they're at the fire station for a full 24 hours, then off for 48. This three day cycle is repeated nine times, and then during the tenth cycle their on day is off.

Firefighters have a ton of downtime. There's no way anyone would be on for four days straight - that's insanity. The only way that would happen is if they swapped shifts with someone else to build up a larger consecutive day time off/vacation. But they would never be on for 96 hours. Greg Evans is an idiot.

Evans is really scraping to milk some drama out of this situation but wrote himself into a corner months ago. He thinks he's in the clear because TJ is in the storyline so therefore the strip is funny, right (since the strip has to either be funny or dramatic), but TJ actually serves no purpose here because you know this plot isn't going to go anywhere (other than "TJ eventually overstays his 'welcome' and is Evicted by Brad and Toni and gets mad b/c he helped htem SOOO MUCH). Man, Luann was my favorite strip when I was like, eleven years old and she really resonated with me and my stupid crushes on boys.

What do the gocomics commenters have to say about TJ lately

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

SomeMathGuy posted:

Is it just me or does that second panel scan as incredibly sarcastic?

Not just you. The bolding definitely adds to the effect.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

fondue posted:

:catstare:

Every time I see one of these past marriage jokes I can't help but think of her marriage.

Same. Makes you wonder a bit whether on some level she knew (depending on when the problems started)

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

This is adorable

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

Safety Dance posted:

This reasoning is actually backwards. Email scammers use the same old hackneyed scheme again and again because it weeds out people smart enough not to fall for the scam. If 99.9% of people can quickly identify an nigerian prince scam, well, your 1000 emails sent have quickly found the 1 person dumb enough to send you money.

Re the Morgan daughter, my understanding is that memory loss like that is usually temporary. I imagine there will be a heartwarming moment when she starts to remember some things (but maybe being a prodigy artist gets retconned).

So what you're saying is Ces decided to turn Rex Morgan into the last episode of Full House?

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

Selachian posted:

Pros and Cons

I love this comic

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

Selachian posted:

Because all gay men have innate wedding dress design skills.

will Brooke let us design the dress

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

ffffffffffffffuckkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk YOUUUUUUUUUUUUU

Slammy posted:

Outbursts of Everett True (April, 1916)

"I'll change your shape!!" is such a great, understated threat

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

EasyEW posted:

Funky They'reJustFuckingWithUsNowbean

I'm confused, the driveway and sidewalk are clearly illustrated to show they are frozen and slippery, how didn't he get ice cancer? :confused:

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

...and the pitch! posted:

Nice job Gilchrist!

Dude could easily have mentioned MLK somewhere in there and it would have been less cringeworthy. Or at least not mention Elvis by name.... :psyduck: GILCHY??:????

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

TofuDiva posted:

I truly don't want to be the one to defend Gilchrist on much of anything, but... that particular song was written in response to King's (and Bobby Kennedy's) assassination.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/If_I_Can_Dream

Still, I don't know how many readers would know that if they weren't there at the time.

Honestly, I figured as much (edit: that there was significance to his choice), because if that weren't the case, I'd say it was too dumb even for Gilchrist. It's still awkward IMO to honor King (with no shortage of great quotes to choose from) by quoting a white guy. And by not even mentioning King's name somewhere in there.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

Aardmania posted:

Piranha Club

ceci n'est pas un joke

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

Coloring is hard

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

Johnny Walker posted:

Rex Morgan MD

Did you ever experience deja vu?

Wtf???????

Gorilla Salad posted:

I didn't even notice that.

I was concentrating on the genuinely, totally realistic depiction of two siblings being given a doll which shoots balls out of its mouth.

Of course they're shooting it at each other :allears:

Oh yeah for sure. :) I really like this comic.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

Selachian posted:

Rhymes with Orange

Ohmygod ohmygod look how cute that elephant is :3: :3: :3: :kimchi:

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

Holy poo poo that is so cool. Terrifying but like the ratio of cool to terrifying is like 80:20

ed: The eye thing

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

A HUNGRY MOUTH posted:

I get that Batiuk wants to relate to the "I never exercise, because it's so hard! (because I never exercise)" crowd, but Funky's been running regularly for years; he shouldn't still be going "wow is that what exertion feels like?? I want to die" every single time.

He hasn't realized he has a terminal exercisoma

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

I remember Wren being born and my opinion still hasn't changed that that's the dumbest name for a baby

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

"Pigs?"

Safety Dance posted:

Had they not invented "catch a tiger by the toe" in 1971?

It didn't used to say "tiger"

I'm not sure when "tiger" became the most widely used version.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

Aardmania posted:

Piranha Club

Hey, that's actually a reasonable end to this week long joke. I sure hope it doesn't get beaten into the ground now

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

Mister Mind posted:

This makes no loving sense, and it is beautiful. I love modern-day Heathcliff.

The inking on the women makes them look like they're turning into genies, which adds to the confusion and appeal

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

I wonder if TDIET ever did one where on one side you have somebody bashing the president, and the next panel is "But as soon as their guy is in office-" and he's all "Respect the position if not the man!"

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

everett true would have trounced both candidates and won the elction himself

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

Aardmania posted:

Dick Tracy

"Has this person suffered severe burns?" is a question I ask about too many Dick Ttracy character designs

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

Mister Kingdom posted:

I have inherited the "use the gently caress out of it" method of things from her.

:respek:

My nana and pop pop had some rug for the porch that got torn and my pop pop stitched it together with wire (for stability) and it looked like a Frankenstein and my nana made him keep it downstairs because it looked so horrible BUT IT STILL HAD USE

he also had a work table that was an old counter top (like someone was remodeling their ktichen and he probably took it from the roadside) on top of, iirc, a metal canister and a stool

I do this with so much small stuff I can't even think of specific examples because i just naturally will do it

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

Darthemed posted:

Oh poo poo, an E. True origin story.

"And you'd better be careful, or you'll catch my fist to your face!!" (while bludgeoning the larger child w/his umbrella)

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

Wiz has been pretty decent lately :unsmith:

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

I like how authentic that particular Gil sounds. Feuti :3:

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

SomeMathGuy posted:

Oh dear god. I just realized he's also a hipster.

I guess when you're poor it's just easier to be a hipster

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

Slammy posted:

The Gay Thirties (May, 1935, click for big))

I can't tell if this is supposed to show children playing doctor or an actual doctor

I'm glad you post this comic, because it's arguably the worst of the vintage comics you post, reminding us that not everything comic from that era was great

quote:

Feiffer (1971, click for big)

This is painful.

:smith:

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

Kavak posted:

What has been will be again, what has been done will be done again; there is nothing new under the sun. This too shall pass.

has anyone made any "Goofus and Gallant" style strips but they have Trump and Obama in them

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

That boss guy looks straight out of Least i Could Do

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

Lowen SoDium posted:

Most of the movies I watch about college girls in dorms start out this exact way.

~Hel-LO, Greg...

• Locked thread