Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
urgh here we go again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
This thread's on fire already.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
Yojimbo is so good. My first movie was a terrible David Blaine special that someone at the party put on. He poked an icepick through his arm multiple times and it was extremely gross.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
Though I did enjoy this bit where he vomited endlessly into a disinterested Woody Allen's tub:

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
I can't stop listening to the Alvin and the Chipmunks pop covers slowed down to their original recording speed.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
I always forget how wonderful Kiefer Sutherland is in Fire Walk With Me, it's a great performance.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
First real movie of 2017: Moonlight. A+

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
"You LIKED rogue one?"
"I mean, I didn't NOT hate it. But it had some great cinematography."

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
I sound like Barry White because of this throat thing I've got. I wish I sounded like this all the time. I sound like a soul radio station dj, heyyyy kids it's another cold day, hope you got your galoshes...here's another hit from The Temptations...that's right...

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
"chilidogs"

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Hodgepodge posted:

Where can I find SMG talking about Sonic, and who would be dumb enough to shut down a comedy spigot like that?

The quote that turned cined upside down:

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

That's nothing more than the Hedgehog/Prower phenomenon of ostensibly adult characters engaged in prolonged and intense bouts of presexual intimacy.

FN and Poe - despite being twenty- and thirty-somethings, respectively - are several steps behind Matthew Broderick's teen hacker in Wargames, who tentatively explores how it feels to take his shirt off in front of a girl.

For fans, the actual erotic appeal comes from the fact that Sonic The Hedgehog does not gently caress. Ever. He achieves full satisfaction just by staring at you with his massive hypersensitive eyes, and passionately filling his rounded belly with chilidogs. Poe and FN, likewise, will never move beyond hugging and trying on eachothers' clothes. They have no need to.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
I imagine him speaking in the voice of someone doing a Bubsy 3D let's play.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
haha i have both blu-rays, and also pierrot le fou and last year at marienbad :shittydog:

Spatulater bro! posted:

Any nostalgia I might have for VHS ends as soon as I think about this. Poor sound and picture quality is one thing, but 99% of the films you find on VHS are presented in an incorrect aspect ratio. Sure some of the covers were cool, but VHS was cinephiles' worst enemy.

That's definitely the worst part. Open matte I can handle, but pan-scan is abhorrent.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

blue squares posted:

Die yuppie scum!

I just kind of slowly collected them as I found them for cheap. I saw the Chungking blu for like $15 once and I'm mad I didn't pick it up because it's one of my favorite movies. I'm like Citizen Kane, dying on a pile of OOPs I'm lukewarm on and muttering about Wong Kar-Wai.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

CPL593H posted:

Later this month a Man Who Fell to Earth blu-ray is being released that is from a new restoration that is as good or better than the Criterion release.

But it doesn't have the big C on it!

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
I'm going to have to go back to Seattle in a couple days, and be away from my husband for a few months again, give me all your best pick-me-up movies so I can be distracted like Mia Farrow in Purple Rose of Cairo.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Anonymous Robot posted:

Wow, drat. One of the inmates I've been in correspondence with requested some sheet music, and I'm trying to get it to him, but A) I can't find it for free anywhere, and B) even if I bought it, it gets watermarked with my name so that I can't legally distribute it to him, meaning the COs will probably destroy it. What a hassle.

Check your local library, most libraries have sheet music, and if they do, you can make copies.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
I've just kinda been here.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
We went to the Toronto reference library and it was real neat:

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
I love the hosed up relationships in Cronenberg films, they make me uncomfortable. He and Peter Greenaway are both so great at exploring cruelty and control, they're almost a yin-yang, nestling together in a gleefully clinical circle of rape, tumors, and psychological damage.

LesterGroans posted:

For some reason I find Steve Jobs really rewatchable.

Aaron Sorkin's writing is really fun, people dunk on him for his stagey writing but I'll take that over whatever David O Russell does.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
I drink whatever's cheap, I've never been able to get into "good" beer (weed is better anyway). I kinda like it, though. Ice-cold bubbly pee water reminds me of when I was spending all my spare money on pinball, which was a nice time.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Here's some cool effects trickery from the silent film era. I'd never seen this before.

http://imgur.com/a/wUAcl

The leper one is really cool.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

TrixRabbi posted:

Yo I got a food-for-thought question for y'all. If you could remake one movie which one and why?

And to be clear, this is you remaking it. Not like "I want John Carpenter to do Jurassic Park" or whatnot.

A Chorus Line, because boy did they ever gently caress that one up.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

TrixRabbi posted:

I asked because my pick is Fiddler on the Roof. I would focus way more on the geopolitical climate crushing down on these people. It's there but it too often feels as absent as the village wishes it was until the end. I want the audience to always be aware that collapse and expulsion is on the horizon.

Also, the songs are great but the camerawork leaves something to be desired. Like why would you ever let extras in the foreground block the dancers?

Haha, it's funny that we both want to remake a musical. They really do tend to get screwed over in the transfer to the big screen, and it's hard to think of a musical that I wouldn't want to remake. I'd gladly remake Into the Woods and Sweeney Todd, as well.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Egbert Souse posted:

The Phantom Tollbooth. Chuck Jones' film is just a mess and a poor adaptation of the book. I'm thinking of an old school roadshow film with a cast full of great character actors, sparse use of CGI (use stop-motion when possible), and shooting at actual locations.

Phantom Tollbooth seems like a great excuse for a fantasia of physical effects.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

CPL593H posted:

I mean, the villains in the Marvel movies are really bland and unmemorable archetypes so this isn't saying much.

Marvel movies are bland and unmemorable in general, so par for the course.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Criminal Minded posted:

Me and my friend who's visiting from out of town were discussing that John Williams article where he discussed how unmemorable he found his own scores for Star Wars, and he mentioned seeing this bit where a guy approached people on the street and asked them to hum theme music from famous blockbusters. Then he asked them to hum music from any Marvel film, and they were all totally dumbfounded.

It's like nutriloaf with edible glitter on top.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
That video is such a dizzying mishmash of images, it's like it was edited by William Burroughs.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

married but discreet posted:

While we are at it, whats the term for a scene transition where the sound of the next scene starts before the last one is finished? It's always jarring and I don't quite get what the intended effect is supposed to be.

That's an L or J cut, depending on whether the visual or audio changes first (because on film, you have the audio recording as a separate track under the image, so if you cut the image out first and leave the audio, you get an L-shaped piece of film and vice versa).

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
The punchline of Whiplash is all the music in it is really boring, right?

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
I like the shmorky quote that's something like,

??? misquote ??? posted:

lowtax hovers cursor over button labeled "BAN ALL BABYFURS"
[incredibly high-pitched voice] "WHATCHA DOIN 'TAXY?"
lowtax moves the cursor away "uhhh nothing"

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
this like a year after that hosed up audio

that voice

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

wyoming posted:

And by being dweebs I mean they accused him of exploiting his children, because he posted on twitter about how pissed off he was because he had to explain sexual predators and how much of a shithead Shmorky was to his daughters.
So basically, the site is better off without them.

oh my god lowtax has children?

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

therattle posted:

What makes good licensed music? One factor is when the song captures something of the emotion of the scene but without being too direct or on the nail, in which case it becomes too obvious or unsubtle.

There's also just the way it's actually used in the film. The moment of silence before These Days starts is 50% of why it's so effective, the rest is riding the wave of emotion off the first notes of the song that hit you like water. It's a great aesthetic choice of song that's slipped in using really brilliant editing and cinematography, and that matches the mood of the movie.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

glam rock hamhock posted:

We just sold my childhood home and while it was something that really needed to be done and I've had a while to come to terms with it, it's still weird as hell and it's complicated by the fact we haven't found a new place to live yet and we'll probably have to be out in little over a month.

We abruptly had to move out of the house I spent my teens in and it was like fleeing an apocalypse, so I feel you.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Anonymous Robot posted:

Haha yeah, my parents lost our house to the bank when I was a teenager (due to mental illness on their part making it impossible for them to manage their finances) and due to the same conditions, they didn't face facts until the eviction crew was literally on our doorstep, so I got hit with "put what you want to keep in a suitcase, the rest is going in a dumpster, also you aren't going to college".

Haha ha h aha same

same

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Skwirl posted:

Someone who's whole gimmick is declaritive statements in CAPSLOCK isn't a good writing coach.

Given your interest in screen writing your hatred of SMG makes a bit more sense, he almost never talks about the screenplay of a film, he looks more at cinematography, editing, direction, and when he's casting shade on Avengers, the blocking.

I think you mean "it".

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
the tedium is the message

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

CelticPredator posted:

It's really dang long. 160 pages.

Oh dang I'd be interested to give it a read.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

therattle posted:

All this is leaving aside any discussion on to what extent a screenplay is a work of art. Manchester By The Sea? Maybe. Probably. At least to quite a high degree. Avengers: Age of Ultron? Uh, less so if at all (which is not to say it can't have elements of artistry). But almost no screenplay is wholly a work of art.

Screenplays are absolutely art, most are just clumsy, frequently bad art.

glam rock hamhock posted:

Actually "right" would be not writing an article about Weezer at all because who gives a gently caress about Weezer anymore?

Haha I just heard "Buddy Holly" for the first time a couple weeks ago and I've been playing it on repeat. For some reason I thought they were a gimmick band for teenagers because of the "sun is a mass of incandescent gas" song, which is a different band entirely.

Snak posted:

King of the Hill is really good.

King of the Hill is incredible, and I wish I hadn't been exposed to every episode hundreds of times over so I could appreciate them for the first time again. Seattle is populated with the parody of hipsters Mike Judge loves to write ("they put salmon in the tacos, Hank!").

Magic Hate Ball fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Jan 12, 2017

• Locked thread