Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
listrada
Jan 2, 2017
Hi goons,

My friend’s brother passed away unexpectedly ~10 days ago. He had five cats. My friend was able to place one of the five but has no leads on the others. They desperately need to find homes before the end of the week. She’s seriously allergic and I already have two, one of which has never forgiven me for getting the other.

All four remaining cats are fixed, healthy, UTD on shots, well-loved, incredibly sweet — and 13 years old, except the mom cat, who is 14.

I need some advice on how to find homes for these guys. I do not want them to go to the shelter if I can help it; it’s so hard to get old kitties adopted, they don’t do very well, and these guys have already been through a lot. What should I do?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psychobabble!
Jun 22, 2010

Observing this filth unsettles me
First off, sorry for your friend's loss.

Have they put up ads on craigslist or the like? If not, they should asap, maybe even explaining the circumstances and that it's not necessary for them to be adopted out together, along with posting on FB, which I'm sure they've done. If they're in or near any kind of big city, they can also search FB groups for local groups that are okay with animal rehoming(most have rules against selling, but rehoming is generally okay), again explaining the circumstances. Hell, even an imgur post with the story /may/ yield results. You just gotta cast the net wide.

They should also call around to local shelters and rescues for advice, it's hard to say for sure what your options are without knowing where they're located. Depending, they can also search city(or state, etc) for cat specific rescues/old cat sanctuaries. It's not terribly common but there are sanctuary type things that just take in old cats so they can live out the rest of their days being chill.

Good luck to your friend.

Ferryll
Sep 16, 2013

<3

If they talk to a shelter, some allow for "Courtesy Postings" on Petfinder. Petfinder is the largest online place for looking for pets to adopt.
Otherwise, they can look into a no-kill shelter. Depending on where you live, there are shelters like http://www.purebredcatrescue.org/ that have a high adoption rate if they are purebred cats.
Sorry for your friend's loss.

• Locked thread