Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Tir McDohl posted:

What are the pros/cons of Chuck Schumer as the representative of Senate Democrats? I don't know much about him but saw a lot of negativity over the last few months. I did like his interview on Maddow last week though and I appreciate moves like this.

The overarching fear is Schumer will try to make a deal with Trump and it will cost Dems everything, and Republicans little. It is a better route to try and prevent the complete destruction of the last 45 years of incremental progress. There is no reason to give them anything. Will it cost Democrats in later elections 2018,2020, with this electorate? yes, but whatever saves healthcare and Planned Parenthood is worth stalling white dreams for better highways

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Tir McDohl posted:

What are the pros/cons of Chuck Schumer as the representative of Senate Democrats? I don't know much about him but saw a lot of negativity over the last few months. I did like his interview on Maddow last week though and I appreciate moves like this.

Cons: politically quite moderate, politically inconvenient ties to finance and industry, not anointed by Bernie Sanders
Pros: good at clowning, pretty experienced in Senate procedure, adept at seeing which way wind blowing (see: endorsing Ellison for DNC chair)

The main fear is as mentioned that he's said some boilerplate stuff about working with Trump on some stuff, but everyone did, the question is when balls connect with the wall how defiant they're willing to be.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

He's a Hillary loving, deal-making, Grand Bargain loving chump. He's a NY Democrat of the maybe Republicans aren't poo poo subspecies. Hopefully he's found some balls and isn't itching to give the Republicans bipartisan cover for every hosed up thing they want to do.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Nonsense posted:

The overarching fear is Schumer will try to make a deal with Trump
Here's your reminder for the page that Trump literally closed his speeches with the parable of The Frog and The Scorpion, so maybe don't make deals with him.

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

In other words, be prepared for disappointment or pleasant surprise when he continues to resist, but regardless not going to be the shining star we need in 2020.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

Tir McDohl posted:

In addition to what has already been mentioned, he is very, very pro-Israel.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich
When was the last time someone went directly from senate minority leader to presidential nominee?

And before you say Dole or LBJ, I said directly.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Pop-o-Matic Trouble posted:

In addition to what has already been mentioned, he is very, very pro-Israel.

Who in American politics isn't?

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Fulchrum posted:

Bernie Sanders is merely very pro Israel

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Like, Israel hardliners are baying for Keith Ellison's blood, but even he denounced those views and is pro-Israel.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

Quorum posted:

Considering we have entered the era of governance via hot takes and twitter burns, this is a good move and I thoroughly approve.

We won't be there until Trump creates a poll on his latest tweet about a given bill that can only be voted on by verified Twitter accounts belonging to Congressmen.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
LOL Twitter is going to semi-responsible for a nuclear strike.

Fulchrum posted:

Obama and every non Regressive. They're literally nazis.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

Yeah Obama occupies approximately the most radical extreme of the US Overton window on the Israel issue, that being, Israel is a good thing to exist, but its ruling party generally and Netanyahu in particular should really cut it out with the human rights abuses, please?

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Does the nuclear option only apply to appointments, or could Republicans remove the filibuster on all issues?

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Fulchrum posted:

Does the nuclear option only apply to appointments, or could Republicans remove the filibuster on all issues?

The filibuster only exists as a Senate rule. When the Senate goes into session one is the first things they do is vote on the rules. A change to the rules is a simple majority vote.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

Khisanth Magus posted:

The filibuster only exists as a Senate rule. When the Senate goes into session one is the first things they do is vote on the rules. A change to the rules is a simple majority vote.
Even without a rules change, the question of whether the Senate is following its own rules is also decided by a majority vote.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich
...what? If it's a simple majority decision to uphold or take away the means by the minority to block the majority, why does it even exist at all? What does a supermajority even matter?

Fulchrum fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Jan 10, 2017

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

Fulchrum posted:

...what? If it's a simple majority decision to uphold or take away the means by the minority to block the majority, why does it even exist at all? What does a supermajority even matter?

There's a reason it's called the "nuclear option," and that's because until now both parties thought it was useful to have around. Once it starts getting used for everything, and one party is convinced they have enough power to ram through every single element of their agenda and face no consequences, and that party had zero respect for institutions, why keep it?

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Fulchrum posted:

A lot of the Senate rules are based in tradition. Put simply, the reason there's a filibuster is because there's always been a filibuster. It sounds stupid, but it's worked so far because the majority party wants to have the filibuster as an option in case they're the minority in the future, and they know that if they abolish it then there's no way their opponents will put it back - once any party abolishes the filibuster once, it's gone forever, because no one's going to bother to put it back once it's been removed once.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
The senate was founded as a place where the elite could make sure that their voice wasn't drowned out by the rabble, hence undemocratic stuff like direct appointment of senators, long terms, 2/state no matter the population, and rules that allow one person to prevent anything from getting done if they choose to.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Fulchrum posted:

What does a supermajority even matter?
The very real threat that any change you make now will play into the opposition in 2 years if the economy sucks and a wave election happens.

So generally they don't rock the boat too much and rely on supermajority or majority rule to get their poo poo passed in normal sessions. Just so they won't get their poo poo pushed in if the tide goes the other way.

The filibuster itself is just a procedural loophole, a byproduct of the whole idea that they respect the wizened gallery of senators enough that they have control of the floor while speaking. Hell, ending a filibuster through cloture used to involve a 2 day wait, gathering signatures, then a 2 day wait to vote.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Fulchrum posted:

Like, Israel hardliners are baying for Keith Ellison's blood, but even he denounced those views and is pro-Israel.

My favorite part of that was him going "huh, I never actually read much into the details on Nation of Islam's actual (current) beliefs. Those people are weird." (Albeit dramatically less weird since noted con-man founder Elijah Mohammed kicked it and they dropped or toned down the best parts.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Tir McDohl posted:

I don't know if this is a pro or a con but it makes me laugh every time:

quote:

Slightly less catchy but pretty funny is this bon mot, which former senator Jon Corzine reportedly used at a roast: “Sharing a media market with Chuck Schumer is like sharing a banana with a monkey . . . take a little bite of it and he will throw his own feces at you.”
Fun fact: I now have "Chuck Schumer monkey feces" in my Google search history.

• Locked thread