Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Fulchrum posted:

Okay, but, seriously, why? They're essentially allowed a single vote where they are allowed to gently caress with the rules that are supposed to restrain them?
The rules Congress sets for itself are in no way meant to restrain Congress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

1stGear posted:

There was an assumption by the Founding Fathers and various statesmen throughout the years that members of state and local governments would maintain some degree of decorum and desire to govern in good faith. That system has utterly broken down. The government is now run by people who don't care about decorum, aren't governing in good faith, and are actively destroying parts of government that aren't personally enriching them.
These assholes used to fist fight in the chamber and shoot each other on the lawn. Andrew Jackson declared "gently caress the Supreme Court. I do what I want" in 1838. None of this is new.

There's probably more decorum now.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Fulchrum posted:

I thought supreme Court nominations were open to filibuster and required 60 votes?
The Democratic Party doesn't have the kind of insane streak required to filibuster a Supreme Court nomination for four years. Trump will find someone that falls in line with enough Dem donors to turn the required senators.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Fulchrum posted:

We're talking the hypothetical here. Like, there is no disadvantage to telling Trump to gently caress off for four years for dems as a whole, since right now, no nominee could be better than not filling that role.
The advantage will come when Trump nominates someone who read the Constitution super hard and came to the conclusion that banks shouldn't have to pay taxes. Then we can watch the DNC be like "The time for bipartisanship is now!" and sell us all down the river.

If you don't think the Dems will march women, minorities, and LGBT folks straight into the camps for sweet, sweet donor cash you haven't been paying attention.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Quorum posted:

Your cynicism is noted, and also, super tired by this point. None of the people Trump has on his nomination short list in any way comport with what "Democratic donors" want on the bench; if they did, they'd have donated to one of the billion Republicans who promised to appoint clones of Scalia grown by the Heritage foundation, because that's what Trump has promised us since well before the election.
Democrats promised to stop drinking! Surely if I go back he'll treat me right. It's really all my fault for supporting Bernie anyway.

• Locked thread