Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DNS
Mar 11, 2009

by Smythe
Mort - greatest NFL player ever. Lock.

Boselli - get lost

Bruce - Peak, longevity, great on good & bad teams, lots of high profile games, championship. Lock.

Coryell - I don't like the fact that they have players and coaches elected from the same pool. It's a bad system. Add in the fact that he's better recognized as a contributor than a Hall of Fame Head coach, and the fact that he's dead - Pass.

Davis - Has an awesome spot in Denver sports history. Broncos ring of honor guy. Respectful pass.

Dawkins - the most versatile safety I've ever seen. Ed Reed deep safety with smarts plus corner cover skills, but with size and Ronnie Lott's love of contact... could man up on outside receivers, play deep, tackled Barry Sanders in the open field, incredible blitz timing, forced fumbles at a rate unseen in any other safety. Incredible generational player, the kind of guy the Hall was built to honor. Lock.

Faneca - Faneca was special. Smooth, tough, great finisher, awesome off the ball, awesome pull guard with some of the best feet I've ever seen, loved watching him play. Lock.

Law - I've been thinking about it and I feel pretty comfortable with Law's case. I think guys on dynastic/legendary teams need to be scrutinized especially hard... but Law was a great playmaker, had longevity, shut down the likes of Marvin Harrison. He can wait a little while, but Lock.

Jacoby - Never saw Jacoby. The kind of guy who needs to be extra scrutinized because of the teams he was a part of, but won't be and may eventually squirm his way in. Dr. Z liked him as a run blocking tackle who loved to finish, but had a lot more praise for the likes of Mike Kenn - who didn't the good fortune to play on the 80s Skins. Pass.

Lynch - Really good player, I personally see him as a borderline guy who gets a little extra glow from being on that Bucs team and his high media profile. Being in the same class as Dawk isn't doing him any favors. At the same time I wouldn't be outraged if they enshrined one of the best downhill safeties ever. Lock.

Mawae - Lock.

Owens - Try and think of players in the league right now who look like T.O. when you watch them. Lock.

Taylor - I think the DPOY clinched him a spot. There were times watching Taylor when he looked like the most dominant player in the league, and times when he looked like just a guy. I'm fine with him getting in eventually though, Lock.

Tomlinson - Lock.

Warner - 2008 locked him in.

If I could pick five, I'd go Bruce, Ladainian, Dawk, TO, Warner. I don't love inducting two WRs but I feel like you just need to get these guys in there now to make things easier down the line.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DNS
Mar 11, 2009

by Smythe

Darth Brooks posted:

I really have no idea why Coryell isn't in already. Guy created the passing system that literally every team uses or uses a variation of.

If he gets in Coryell would easily have the weakest resume of any modern era head coach in the Hall.

DNS
Mar 11, 2009

by Smythe
Dawkins not making it in is pretty rough... this is gonna get a lot harder when Reed & Polamalu come up

DNS
Mar 11, 2009

by Smythe

Benne posted:

Morten Andersen got in over TO :pwn:

This is the greatest moment in the history of the Hall.

DNS
Mar 11, 2009

by Smythe

Pops Mgee posted:

He does, but that doesn't mean that TO shouldn't have been in first ballot.

It's not the same as in the baseball HoF, where it's a free for all. Any ballot you constructed this year would've left deserving guys off. You look at the guys in Canton who weren't first ballot, and it's hard to avoid the conclusion that it's a meaningless distinction. Michael Irvin's as great a Hall of Famer as any first ballot guy, and that's all anyone remembers after his induction. T.O. will get in eventually and it'll be the same.

And the argument against T.O.'s omission could be made as easily for Faneca or Dawkins, which means the sanctimony generator that's firing up online is less about a desire to see greatness honored and more about people being preemptively mad at what they envision as a shadowy cabal of axe-grinding sportswriters convening in a lair to punish players they didn't like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DNS
Mar 11, 2009

by Smythe
"narrative stuff" is a feeble dismissal of the case against a guy who sabotaged a stacked Super Bowl team. Those Eagles teams (who I hated, btw) should've and would've been in the mix for a few more years if he could've just been a non-psycho for a while.

• Locked thread