Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Afterbirth Aftermath
Aug 29, 2002

Blind Pineapple posted:

Terrell Davis is interesting because of the precedent it opens up for obviously-great, but injury-plagued players. TD had a 4-year stretch where he averaged 105 yards a game, including three seasons in a row over 1500 rushing yards. He also averaged 142 y/g in his 8 playoff games. His peak is unquestionably HOF-worthy, then he tore his ACL and barely played after that. I don't buy the Chris Johnson comparison, because Johnson didn't decline because of injury. He played multiple full seasons and put up marginal numbers.

As much as posters here likes to pretend compiling stats during the regular season means something, sportswriters and the general fan care about the playoffs. As you said, in just 8 games against playoff teams TD had 1140 yds and 8 TDs. The other guys with playoff numbers like that are guys like Marcus Allen and Tony Dorsett, and they had twice as many games.

Mike Anderson, Olandis Gary, and the like usually had 1 good year and disappeared in the playoffs. Portis was really good imo and his numbers in Washington were pretty good, though they ran the poo poo out of him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Afterbirth Aftermath
Aug 29, 2002
Wait, I thought Elway rode TD to two Super Bowls, now you're telling me it goes another level deeper?!

Afterbirth Aftermath
Aug 29, 2002

a neat cape posted:

If you're going to put in Terrell Davis, I don't know why Shaun Alexander isn't getting consideration since he also rode a really good offensive line for 4-5 good seasons

It's something to consider. His career averages and TDs are quite similar with Tomlinson. I don't think Alexander ever had Lorenzo Neal clearing the way for him either.

• Locked thread