Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

Palpek posted:

Star Citizen's kickstarter had a 10k top backer tier. Thermidor - Tactical JRPG: The Juicy Screenies has a 35k tier, now this is podracing.

Pretty sure they were thinking "hehe, if we get close enough we can use the 35k tier to reach the goal ourselves".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
So here's an interesting point of comparison: Assassin's Creed Unity.

I can't vouch for it as a game (never played it) or for its treatment of the French Revolution (from all accounts I've read, it's poo poo), but one thing I can praise it for is that it actually gives a poo poo about being set during the French Revolution and that its various trailers make this very clear:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOgYM_24AuU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xzCEdSKMkdU

It doesn't even have anything in its title referencing the French Revolution. It's just set during it and actually makes it central to its story. But on the other hand, you have "Thermidor 1789: The Beginning," with a trailer that could be for a generic Disney movie because nothing that happens in it actually depends on its setting.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

AC: Unity was so true to the source material that the devs actually removed the protagonist's ability to pet dogs in-game because as everybody knows the French hate everything that is good.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Palpek posted:

the French hate everything that is good.

That's not true since the French liked guillotines which are good.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

JosephWongKS posted:

I think you could probably have gotten guillotined for stealing apples, so there's still some hope for Thermidor L'an -3: Le Début to be a good game!!!

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

JosephWongKS posted:

Well, guess what's currently banned both in France and in certain JRPGs.

Eastbound Spider
Jan 2, 2011

Is this true? Guillotines are a proud part of their history!

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

guillotines are no longer used because the French no longer have the death penalty, and that's how they did their death penalty. however I do not think it would be illegal to own a private guillotine for non-state use. and I think using a guillotine in the manner depicted in the upcoming video game "Fructidor" would be encouraged.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
let me pitch a better game idea in the same setting here:

A kagero deception style game where French soldiers of increasing rank will try to invade your tavern and you can thwart them with all sorts of guillotine themed traps

last boss is Louis himself

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Fun fact: the last public execution via guillotine in France was in 1939 and one of the people who witnessed it was Christopher Lloyd. The French continued to use this method of execution in government facilities until 1977 which is way closer to modern times than I expected.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

another guillotine fact is that small guillotines are still used all over the world for the purpose of cutting cigars

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Yeah, I know. Before smoking one I always pretend the cigar is sentenced to death by the other cigars in the box that serve as a jury. Little do they know that their days are also numbered.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Palpek posted:

Yeah, I know. Before smoking one I always pretend the cigar is sentenced to death by the other cigars in the box that serve as a jury. Little do they know that their days are also numbered.

your reign of terror is only going to result in another coup of 9 Humidor II

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Palpek posted:

Earwicker posted:

I've heard much worse pitches for mobile games. If they can monetize a game where you're a ninja who cuts fruit they can monetize a game where you're sentencing cigars to death by tiny guillotine.

e: in fact since hooperdumbbox seems to be so good at mobile games maybe they should work on that instead of Generic JRPG But In France

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Kelp Me! posted:

I've heard much worse pitches for mobile games. If they can monetize a game where you're a ninja who cuts fruit they can monetize a game where you're sentencing cigars to death by tiny guillotine.

the game is free but you can spend anywhere from $0.99 to $5.99 on different types of cigars to be included in your humidor and they look slightly different and say different funny lines when you are about to cut them, also for every 10,000 cigars you cut you get a point of égalité and there are a set of custom guillotine blades you can unlock starting at 500 égalité (or you can purchase a subscription of $49.99 a month and get a ration free égalité points delivered to your inbox once per week, if you have signed up for the inbox unlocking feature*)

now that i've solved the funding issue we just need a dev.

*"inbox unlocking feature" requires purchase of inbox (sold separately)

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Jan 9, 2017

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Can you breed the cigars and/or guillotines?

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Earwicker posted:

This already sounds like a better backdrop for a game.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Ok, another pitch here, probably closer to HyperDevBox capabilities:

Since you guys created the award winning app Real Snowglobe, how about creating a Real Guillotine app? Slide it up to arm it, slice the rope to cut someone's head. Allow people to load pictures of other people they hate (loud neighbors, bad bosses, lovely PR managers) and off with their heads!

Man I should be getting paid for this.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

nerdz posted:

let me pitch a better game idea in the same setting here:

A kagero deception style game where French soldiers of increasing rank will try to invade your tavern and you can thwart them with all sorts of guillotine themed traps

last boss is Louis himself

I'd loving back it.

Ayn Marx
Dec 21, 2012

Let's make this a goon project, I can provide hilariously French-accented voiceovers for all ze characters

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe
Eh bof, |Im half French, I can play an old breton farmer up to treat his std's.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

i know how to speak french with a horrible quebecois accent and i also know most of the quebecois swear words.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Ayn Marx posted:

Let's make this a goon project, I can provide hilariously French-accented voiceovers for all ze characters
*imagines 4 heads on the edge of a cliff*

...and this, my darling, is Le Zybourne Chop

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

The Guillotine Rush

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

I've got an original character idea: Jacques Cinq Asses

Greaseman
Aug 12, 2007
Who could have foreseen that closing the thread and making a new one wouldn't help??

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe

Greaseman posted:

Who could have foreseen that closing the thread and making a new one wouldn't help??

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality
I wonder if the other 3 members of hyberdevbox are aware of how much their music/PR guy is screwing up their campaign. Are the other guys in the company reading our posts? Maybe ron is like the typical loser at work and even the guys in his own company are laughing at him behind his back...

Can a person rightly be called "CEO" of a four person company?

Stumpus
Dec 25, 2009
Don't you know that the jerky guy isn't Ron? Ron is the cool guy who posts and is super knowledgeable.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

your image link is broken but that's somehow more appropriate so

OneTwentySix
Nov 5, 2007

fun
FUN
FUN

a medical mystery posted:

The Guillotine Rush

Say what you will against The Demon Rush, at least the guy had his game 100% completed and fully playable before he came asking for money. That took an tremendous amount of effort and he spent a lot of money in the process, but he got it done. Of course, the problem was that what he produced was so terrible that people still remember the names of the characters almost nine years later (say it with me - Cherry Venus! Brooks Cracktackle!), but that's another issue altogether.

Also, holy poo poo, the guy has produced several other games since then - have there been any threads about those that I missed?

http://www.dragoon.ca/games.html

DropsySufferer posted:

I wonder if the other 3 members of hyberdevbox are aware of how much their music/PR guy is screwing up their campaign. Are the other guys in the company reading our posts? Maybe ron is like the typical loser at work and even the guys in his own company are laughing at him behind his back...

Can a person rightly be called "CEO" of a four person company?

Given that their IGG campaign meant putting work on the actual game on hold for four months, I can't imagine the other members are any better at this kind of thing than Ron is.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

OneTwentySix posted:

Say what you will against The Demon Rush, at least the guy had his game 100% completed and fully playable before he came asking for money. That took an tremendous amount of effort and he spent a lot of money in the process, but he got it done. Of course, the problem was that what he produced was so terrible that people still remember the names of the characters almost nine years later (say it with me - Cherry Venus! Brooks Cracktackle!), but that's another issue altogether.

Also, holy poo poo, the guy has produced several other games since then - have there been any threads about those that I missed?

http://www.dragoon.ca/games.html

Given that their IGG campaign meant putting work on the actual game on hold for four months, I can't imagine the other members are any better at this kind of thing than Ron is.

Brooks Cracktackle is a fantastic name. just say it

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

But Not Tonight
May 22, 2006

I could show you around the sights.

Imo ban this fuckface for account sharing

I mean he even admitted to it

hyperdevbox
Aug 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Saint Isaias Boner posted:

OP you didn't answer my questions in the last thread so I'll repeat them here:

1) If you weren't going to spend any money on advertising why did you go with IndieGoGo and not Kickstarter for funding? You campaign page isn't good by any stretch of the imagination but it looks kind of glossy, and Kickstarter's internal marketing would have got you a lot more pledges based just off that and the anime pictures. Not quarter of a million worth but way more than $800, which should be embarrassing to you if you're running PR.

2) If you were going to go with IGG and you're making this game anyway, why didn't you go for flexible funding? You guys seem like the sorts to do that anyway, may as well go all in.

1) Who said we weren't spending money on advertising? And as mentioned a few times already, KS doesn't accept Japanese accounts, so we went with Indiegogo.
2) Ignoring your sting at the end there, flexible funding is not for big budget games like Thermidor. our goal is the amount needed in order for us to be able to complete the game, and there is no point on settling for anything less than that.

Crazy Achmed posted:

Just saying, I appreciate your answers to all my questions in the previous thread about the gameplay, and you should really do a writeup on the battle system and a video or series of pictures showing how it works. I can't say I speak for everyone here but I for one am unlikely to even consider pre-ordering a game without first seeing a working prototype. As a potential video game-buying customer, I agree with jizzy sillage's analysis of your reply to reiterpallasch's questions. They way you have answered them is extremely defensive, gives little information, and makes me suspicious of your ability as a development company to actually produce and release a complete, enjoyable product.

I agree. But for the moment, any updates in the development of the game (gameplay, battle system, etc') will have to be announced as updates to the campaign page. Thermidor and its campaign is a work in progress, and we are sharing every single step in the development and completion of the game.

Crazy Achmed posted:

There is a 90s tactical combat game called Shadow Watch that has a vaguely similar interrupt/conterattack system to yours: you can assign unused action points to shooting at enemies that enter your line of sight, during their turn. If the enemy takes a path towards you that avoids your line of sight, they can attack safely without interruption. While it was overall a fun game, it did skew the game balance vastly in favour of the defender because it was easy to ensure a stealthy approach was impossible.

Yep, you are totally correct. I mention shadow watch as it's a particularly extreme example of this leading to half-baked gameplay: the player characters (and enemies alike) had relatively few hit points - you could only take two or three bullets before being very dead - and because of this it was almost impossible to enter a room with just a couple of guards watching the doors. Most maps were best handled by finding a way to manipulate the enemy AI to come to you, or finding a way to operate extremely stealthily. I'm wondering if the OP will comment on how their system will avoid this kind of gameplay problem.

That's a very valid point you make. I hate it when in certain games you have to rely on a specific aspect of the game in order to finish it, and can't play more freely and actually THINK of original ways to complete a stage.
Some TD games have this problem, where if you don't place towers on a specific place on the map, or if you don't use your budget precisely like the developer intended you to use, you can't complete the level. This totally sucks, and leaves no room from strategic planning, but just leaves you trying to figure out what the developer of the game wanted you to do.
In Thermidor's case, we are planning on having our "DAS" feature be part of the game in a balanced manner, rather than something you rely on in order to succeed in the game. As much as we want this game to be challenging for the player, at the same time we want it to be fun.
There will be many ways in which one can approach an enemy without being detected - having another group member do something to distract, or perhaps throwing an object to a different location on the stage.
Also, the whole "getting detected by the enemy" thing will be a matter of probability in Thermidor. Certain paths will have a higher percentage of getting detected, while others less.

they will hit $802 by the end of the campaign at this rate

oh hey OP, two stickied threads! Congrats, I think it means the mo-mos appreciate what you're doing here even if most of us ingrates don't seem to.

Thank you ?

Sole.Sushi posted:

On a personal note to Ron/not Ron: I can understand a level of anxiety when people are leveling even legitimate criticism over something you've poured many hours into. But, by putting yourself and your company out there and asking the populace for funding (which includes everyone in this thread), you have also opened yourself up to questions, criticism and complaint. This isn't something you can avoid, but the way you handle it says volumes about you, which in turn reflects upon your company as you are their PR person.

In your case, for every question you answered legitimately there were tons more questions you replied to with snark, defensive posturing and outright unprofessional conduct; what that says to me is that you, personally, cannot be trusted to handle investments. As an appointed public relations official by your own company, this in turn means that your company cannot be trusted to handle investments.

Perhaps the most short-sighted thing here is that, seeing as the internet is an archive, no matter where you go to advertise (or in this case pander) your conduct here will be brought up every single time. Let's say you get lucky, and a games media outfit shows interest in putting out an article about your game. The first thing they are going to do is look into you and your company. A quick Google search of "Thermidor Game" will bring up this thread, and with it, many more questions that are far more pointed than anything seen here will be asked. How will you handle that?

tl;dr
Everything about your sales pitch, from your Indegogo webpage (which is busy and screams "amateur art project") to your reactions and conduct on this forum not only make me unwilling to invest, but should I hear others talking about this project at a later date, this thread will be the first thing I'll recall about this game and your company. Make me and everyone else in this thread give one drat about this game of yours, and do it in a manner that isn't pretentious or simply posting a link to a crowdfunding page. Why should you do this? Because, apparently, it's your drat job.

That guy was fired.
Until we hire any PR guy or gal, I will try and do my best.
Wish me luck?

Rough Lobster posted:

OP please screenshot and post your ignore list! I need some juicy ignore list screenies!

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Man I was reading through this getting more and more worried and then I see, right by the end, my name. I'm going to treasure this right here. :allears:

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Woah pog boyfriend is a literal sultan, really rifling your selves in the foot here. Big-time spender in the Haiti aid thread iirc. Also when we donated bees to developing African nations. Not that Alabama thing tho. Kinda fickle.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Mister Adequate posted:

Man I was reading through this getting more and more worried and then I see, right by the end, my name. I'm going to treasure this right here. :allears:

:same:

e: I'm too lazy to do the legwork but I wonder how many posts in this whole thread are from non-ignored users

e2: I'm 2nd on the list booyah, drat you node

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
That's only a third as long as I expected it to be.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

hyperdevbox posted:

1) Who said we weren't spending money on advertising? And as mentioned a few times already, KS doesn't accept Japanese accounts, so we went with Indiegogo.

i assumed because your campaign hasn't attracted any support or word of mouth and when I search google for thermidor all I get is recipes for lobster which a) makes me hungry and b) makes me think you picked a stupid name for your terrible game.

whoever you paid to market this should give you a refund.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

i assumed because your campaign hasn't attracted any support or word of mouth and when I search google for thermidor all I get is recipes for lobster which a) makes me hungry and b) makes me think you picked a stupid name for your terrible game.

whoever you paid to market this should give you a refund.

welcome to the ignore list, friend

• Locked thread