Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which run are you most excited for?
This poll is closed.
John Romero's DAIKATANA 185 14.93%
John Romero's DAIKATANA 163 13.16%
John Romero's DAIKATANA 172 13.88%
John Romero's DAIKATANA 200 16.14%
John Romero's DAIKATANA 191 15.42%
I'm mostly here for the cucking 328 26.47%
Total: 544 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
UraniumAnchor
May 21, 2006

Not a walrus.
https://twitter.com/uraniumanchor/status/817110652149989376

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Hot take: gdq is cool and good

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Lets loving go, I broke my foot, so I'll have all the time in the world to watch games played fast this week.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

eonwe posted:

oh, cinema discusso. i dont know poo poo about movies tho

Cubey posted:

you'd fit right in over in the subforum that thinks the star wars prequels are anything other than absolutely irredeemably poo poo, then

Haha yeah those loving babies cined is cool tho we have dickeye and supermecha godzilla

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

Does anyone have the list of really spergy criticisms from their Google Doc feedback form?

UraniumAnchor
May 21, 2006

Not a walrus.

Chieves posted:

Does anyone have the list of really spergy criticisms from their Google Doc feedback form?

I dunno about spergy but somebody said they never wanted to see me play Blaster Master again.

They're sorta getting their wish this time because it's a two way race instead of a four way, but I'm still commentating so get hosed whoever that was. :v:

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

nessin posted:

Binding of Isaac - Maybe the expansion is just too new, but really surprised to see nothing
Isaac runs have been mediocre at best in past GDQs. I know last year they tried Rebirth, but it still didn't set anyone's world on fire.

I think they did a race too, and it just isn't something that does well with a general audience. Watching people constantly reset for an ideal starting item isn't super thrilling.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
So what awful game that should never be speedrun is gonna take up 6 hours this year.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

Internet Kraken posted:

So what awful game that should never be speedrun is gonna take up 6 hours this year.

Longest runs:

Pokemon Emerald (3:00)
Paper Mario: Thousand Year Door (3:30)
Wind Waker HD (4:00)
Final Fantasy (4:10)

Everything else is <2.5 hours.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

I am most interested in Furi and Bleed.

:eonwe:

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Little Mac posted:

Hot take: gdq is cool and good

who knows it's my first time watching

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

DoctorStrangelove posted:

Longest runs:

Pokemon Emerald (3:00)
Paper Mario: Thousand Year Door (3:30)
Wind Waker HD (4:00)
Final Fantasy (4:10)

Everything else is <2.5 hours.

final fantasy is a good run and feasel is among the best runners out there so it'll be 4 or so hours of good chill times.

we just need feaselcam for that run.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I thought TTYD was like a 6 hour run.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

Internet Kraken posted:

I thought TTYD was like a 6 hour run.

TTYD has been broken more.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

Oh poo poo I missed Mario Galaxy 2, which is 3:10.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Cubey posted:

final fantasy is a good run and feasel is among the best runners out there so it'll be 4 or so hours of good chill times.

we just need feaselcam for that run.

Feasel owns and is the main reason the multi-hour RPG runs are watchable. Shame that poor ol' CapnClever is stuck at some godawful AM hour playing a classic DOS game again, but I'm looking forwards to watching the VOD of that.

Vermain fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Jan 7, 2017

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

This has one of the best schedules ever so props to whoever set that poo poo up.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

weekly font posted:

This has one of the best schedules ever so props to whoever set that poo poo up.

Agreed. Thanks John Romero.

Musical_Daredevil
Dec 23, 2008

Need some backup NOW!
Yo, if anyone reading the thread is at AGDQ (or going there), I made a google map with a bunch of recommendations in the area: https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=1y6fCfDtAvGwqYKFdVg_mtCYeMLs&hl=en&usp

Shoutout to the Washington DC LAN thread for some of the suggestions.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Dang it you're making me homesick (I grew up in Herndon).

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
I'm only here for the cucking.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

I'm only here for the cucking.

welcome, brother

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

Musical_Daredevil posted:

Yo, if anyone reading the thread is at AGDQ (or going there), I made a google map with a bunch of recommendations in the area: https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=1y6fCfDtAvGwqYKFdVg_mtCYeMLs&hl=en&usp

Shoutout to the Washington DC LAN thread for some of the suggestions.

Anyone knew to the area definitely needs to check out the Udvar-Hazy Center, there are only a few places with that much diversity in aerospace shown intact and if you normally hate museums it's still worth checking out as the layout is more of a showroom than a museum. I know you've got it marked but just have to reinforce the idea.

Dr. Dos
Aug 5, 2005

YAAAAAAAY!
https://twitter.com/gdqisno1/status/751605182237114368

Gonna get this twitter account running again that auto-posts when GDQ is #1 on Twitch if you want a nice repository to quickly find "Daikatana is number one on Twitch".

Also having watched the submission video, Undertale is going to be an incredible run.

XavierGenisi
Nov 7, 2009

:dukedog:

Mighty No. 9 is a mess of a game, but when I played it, it gave the impression that it could lead to some actually rad speedruns, so I'm looking forward to seeing that one. Also Doom and Daikatana should be awesome.

Suck It Down (tm)

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Internet Kraken posted:

six hour runs are good for late night when no good runs should occur

(except the awful games block)

my buddy Superfly
Feb 28, 2011

Thank you John Romero.

1-800-DOCTORB
Nov 6, 2009
One of the donation incentives is to speed run the Super Metroid Rotation romhack which is just Super Metroid but rotated 90 degrees.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

i don't think he got in

tithin posted:

I'm pissed because GDQ is starting the day before i go back to work
it's always when the weekend is almost over and I shouldn't stay up late, and either it ruins that week for me or I miss everything I want to see and forget to go back/don't care because nobody else is watching

maybe some year we should hold a post GDQ synctube or something

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

1-800-DOCTORB posted:

One of the donation incentives is to speed run the Super Metroid Rotation romhack which is just Super Metroid but rotated 90 degrees.

It's actually a pretty neat hack and speedrun. I like when they branch out on that sort of stuff. Wish there was a SOTN run.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

FULL HOUR OF TASBOT!!!

Hell yeah let's do this!

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

can confirm the Daikatana fanpatch makes the game okay and at points fun

who would have thought

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010

Studio posted:

I am most interested in Furi and Bleed.

:eonwe:

stop getting your runs put at 2AM Studio, tia

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Note: If you have been using Quickstreamer (a livestreamer plug-in on Chrome), it got broken a while back, something to do with Twitch' code update or something like that. But here's a fix I found someone posted on the Chrome web store:

quote:

If you've suddenly gotten a message along the lines of "Unable to open URL: xxx (400 Client Error-blah blah" then I may have a solution for you.

Quan Le pointed me in the direction of a fix but since I was unfamiliar with how Livestreamer worked, I had to work at it for 20-30 minutes until I found the solution.

(Please not these instructions are for those who have already gotten Quickstreamer to work in the past, they should work if you did the initial setup on Quickstreamer's site but I cannot guarantee that.)

1. Type in %appdata% in your Windows search bar and hit enter.

2. In the folder that opens, look for the livestreamer folder and open that.

3. In here, you will find a file called "livestreamerrc", open it with Notepad when prompted (it has no file extension so Windows will not know what to do with it by default.)

4. Go to the very bottom of this file and add the following line:

http-header=Client-ID=jzkbprff40iqj646a697cyrvl0zt2m6

5. Save the file by either going to File -> save or hitting ctrl s

Once I did these steps it started working for me, hope this helped others in need of assistance. (This should probably get added to the Quickstreamer site if it ends up working for everything, it's broken without it.)

Worked for me. As to why should you care? Livestreamer (and Quickstreamer) is a fast way to have the stream running reliably and with good quality (select "source") on your preferred media player, I use VLC. I tend to put the GDQ stream running on my TV and have my PC free to make intelligent comments on.

SirDrone
Jul 23, 2013

I am so sick of these star wars
Where the gently caress is the SA irc channel.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
DKC trilogy relay race. Awesoeme!

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER
Third time watcher, first time donator here,

watching these awesome runners destroy the games from my childhood is so much fun! My fraternal twin died of super-cancer in the womb, so let's kick cancer's butt! Get HOIP

Greetings from Germany

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

Dunban posted:

Third time watcher, first time donator here,

watching these awesome runners destroy the games from my childhood is so much fun! My fraternal twin died of super-cancer in the womb, so let's kick cancer's butt! Get HOIP

Greetings from Germany

https://twitter.com/GDQDonor_eBooks/

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

get ready for some loving depressing donation comments

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Hey guys lost my wife this past June, she loved Banjo speedruns, so here's some money for a great game, a great cause and a great runner.

• Locked thread