Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Housh posted:

That actually sounds very appealing. I liked Witcher 3 because I could just turn down the difficultly and spam attacks to enjoy the story.

I'll pick up FF15 on sale for sure.

Fair warning, even as someone who can shut their brain down and just roll with a bad plot, the ff15 story really pushes that to it's limits. It's not even that the story itself is bad, but how it's told is amazingly poo poo. I loved the stupid game but I would never recommend it to someone on the basis of it's plot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

man nurse posted:

In what world are we living where Inquisition is considered a bad game

It is aggressively mediocre on all fronts and is just in general a tedious and boring game. It may not be bad but it sure as hell isn't good either.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Good to know they liked it, their reviews generally align with my feelings. Though I think it's going to be a pretty divisive game, all in all.

I really hope there aren't as many run around town showing pictures to people missions as GB made it seem. Also hope that quicklook conveniently showed the only tailing mission.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Neddy Seagoon posted:

ARMS actually looks decent too

Lol that anyone would be excited about a motion control game in tyool 2017 that isn't part of some VR nonsense.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Gravity Rush 2 feels so much worse to play than the first one. Wonder if I am just rusty or what?

Edit: Well ok it's really just the gravity kick and it's aiming that seems worse.

Failboattootoot fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Jan 21, 2017

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Samurai Sanders posted:

There's one class of flying enemy in GR2 that you will NOT be able to gravity kick unless you start it at near point blank range, could that be it?

edit: There's a powerup you get later that adds a teleport to the gravity kick that allows you to fight them normally.

I'm just salty about that beefed up boss in one of the planes that I heard about in the announcements. So many instances of grav kick deciding to aim for weak spots that I did not have line of sight to and missing because of it.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

RC Cola posted:

How is gravity rush 2?

If you liked Gravity Rush it's exactly more of the same.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Beastie posted:

fun features like waggle.

It's hosed up to go on the internet and tell lies.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Atomic Robo-Kid posted:

Despite ME 3's ending I still dig the games universe and gameplay. Has Bioware just become a company that disappoints again and again to some people?

I mean, I've been disappointed by the last 3, maybe 4 games they've released since the timeline has gotten fuzzy so yes? DA:2, ME:3, SWtOR and DA:I all ran the gamut from, "this is ok but I regret paying full price" to, "retroactively undermined the entire franchise." I have absolutely 0 reason to have faith in Bioware. Also if you read this article describing a couple party members and don't immediately abandon the game then I would suspect you are an ex bioware forums poster because peebee sounds like Serah level garbage and the description for Liam isn't much better.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

glam rock hamhock posted:

Akiba's Trip was honestly oddly fun despite its massive shortcomings and the embarrassment factor

The only senran I've played is Estival Versus and I would absolutely say that Akiba's Trip is the better game.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

We're in the Final Age of Gaming because it won't be long before we don't have time or money to spend on big-budget niche entertainment, assuming we're still alive.

As long as poo poo holds together long enough for me to play through and beat Persona 5 I don't care if I die in nuclear fire.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

It is a god drat tragedy that Nier came out when it did, because this game is fantastic and it deserves better than to get smashed by Horizon and Zelda in the collective gaming memory. The same can probably be said for Yakuza 0 I suppose.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Oxxidation posted:

No. You stupid, stupid bastard.

Somebody doesn't read the Vita thread! Although "Persona isn't anime!" hasn't come up in like a year or so.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

veni veni veni posted:

Cool. I'm definitely intrigued by how much people like the story.

To be clear I thought the gameplay in the demo was fun, I love the art direction and the music is great. The thing that puts me on the fence is that, stuff like the environmental design seems really sparse. The videos I have watched kind of seem like a lot of bland environments with a lot of really sparsely populated and samey enemy groups. I guess the thing that worries me is that it looks like it might (or might not be) be a mix of not particularly engaging gameplay mixed with big, long info dumps.

The reason the demo left me luke warm, was less that I didn't like the demo and more that I felt like the demo didn't give me a very good idea of if I'd like the whole game or not.

I have beaten route A and am some way into route B. So far there has not been any info dumps of any particular length but the enemies absolutely are samey. Ignoring bosses there's about 10 variants on monster type and then just reskins of those monsters combined with them sometimes having different weapons which will change how they act a small degree.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Real hurthling! posted:

Almost everything in orginal nier is a yellow squigle monster or a brown robo square so this is a huge upgrade

I imagine that about 10 seperate enemy types is nearly 200% more monster variety than original Nier, true.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

I loathed the ending of Inside. It ruined the game for me. Going from atmospheric and creepy to BIG MONSTER ROLLS AROUND OOH SQUISHED A DUDE was just awful to me and pulled me insanely out of the game. I understand why people like it but it's unironically and without hyperbole on my list of bottom 5 game endings.

I wouldn't quite go this far, but I was definitely dissatisfied with the ending. "That's it?" was how I felt.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

I wanna see how that multiplayer from 3 that everyone raved about is

I'm almost tempted to buy the deluxe edition lol what a loser I am

The multiplayer in 3 was good. Good enough to warrant buying andromeda just for the multi if it's about the same. But it isn't good enough to me to play over Horizon or Nier or Persona 5 or Zelda or really any of the amazing games people might have kicking around in their backlog right now because these last 3 months have been nuts.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Sell me on Nier cause I'm tempted to snag that and Horizon Dawn with the Amazon prime preorder price

I don't really know how to sell Nier to be honest. I feel like it's one of those things where once you know what it is it becomes obvious whether you should buy it or not. If a Platinum combat game made by a complete lunatic with a penchant for genre bending isn't self-evidently cool then I don't know what to tell you to get you on board with the idea.

But also I am currently a little disappointed with it to be honest, for the same reason I was ultimately disappointed with MGS5. For all the gains Automata made in the gameplay department over Nier 1, it feels like it threw most of the interesting storytelling out to get it. Not to the same degree as MGS5 but my first playthrough didn't really throw any really weird curveballs like Nier did and it still hasn't up through where I am in route 2. Plus none of the characters have any of the... character that the ones in Nier had. Also, route B spoilers. 9s is strictly more boring to play as than 2b. The hacking gimmick is cool but it isn't lose access to heavy strike rendering the combat a 1 button affair cool.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Ramagamma posted:

I had a good time with Dragon age 1 (on pc), didn't touch DA2 due to its reputation, should i give inquisition a whirl on ps4? Its only like 8 quid.

If you are the kind of person with no self control who has to do everything you see on a map in an open world game (like me) then I would only recommend it if you've got nothing else to be playing right now, a concept that I would find astounding. Pretty much the worst sidequests I've seen in an rpg this generation. If instead you typically just do the main story and maybe some sidequests that pique your interest then I imagine you might really like DA:I, since I felt the main story and main character side-missions were generally interesting and I enjoyed the combat enough. But everything related to being an open world game was 100% hosed.

Failboattootoot fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Mar 13, 2017

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Manatee Cannon posted:

I got really bored of it in the first game since it was mostly the same with some differences sprinkled in, but they nailed the execution in automata. each playthrough changes things up a ton and I like it a lot. there are more story differences, but more importantly the way they add in different mechanics or change up existing ones is fantastic

also spoilers about the 3rd playthrough: a2 is insanely fun to play and I wish you got her sooner. I can't believe that they hid devil trigger and taunt behind two playthroughs. tho hacking as 9s is still by far the easier combat will ever be

I have to disagree with this. Route B is intensely boring and the game would definitely be better with the very few story differences in it just being in route A to begin with. Route C has been making it up to me so far but going back to 9s has really killed my enthusiasm.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

I'm thinking about picking up either Nier or Horizon as a birthday present for myself. I don't have a PS4 Pro so Horizon won't look spectacular for me, and I never played the first Nier (But played Drakengard back in the day). Which would you guys recommend?

Haven't played Horizon so I won't comment on it.

Nier is an incredible and unique experience, but it is also a commitment. If you don't get at least 3 of the 5 main endings you are going to be left wondering what the gently caress everyone is on about. My final playtime was about 53 hours. I imagine if you spent a lot less time than I loving about you could probably get all 5 endings in 30. If you only get the first and second endings you are going to be unsatisfied almost assuredly.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

This post is saying Cindy in FF XV is more stupid than a Gothic Lolita Battle Android

And literal emotionless Androids are better characters than all of FFXVs cast, female or male.

Going to have to agree with both of these points, having finished both games.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Sakurazuka posted:

Does it actually fail all your quests? I got to a bit where it forces you to do the main plot line and all the sidequest markers disappeared but they were back after I finished that bit.

I've had a few quests I was in the middle of get disrupted by story progression. When they showed back up some were where I left off, others were reset completely. I can only imagine it's because of Yoko Taro scampering about like some game design goblin and inserting gameplay oddities when the Platinum devs weren't looking.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I am thinking about playing World of Final Fantasy.

WoFF is ok if you love the old final fantasies I guess. As someone who doesn't rate any of the ff's before 6 or have any particular love for Pokemon, I found WoFF to be really dull. The pacing of every single thing you do in that game is glacial. I especially cannot believe how they took the turn-order bar from FFX and just straight up made it worse for no discernible reason. The only thing the game nails is being charming. It is charming as gently caress. Oh and the soundtrack is good.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

I forgot to complain about it in my previous post but WoFF's Tama is unequivocally the worst mascot character. Seriously dropped the ball of not having the Tonberry or Cactuar conductor be in the same position without the insanely bad verbal tic.

Failboattootoot fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Mar 23, 2017

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

exquisite tea posted:

I should get around to Nier but after Horizon and Night in the Woods I'm kinda done with depressing "we're all gonna die" stories.

I'm going to make a bold statement here about the tone of Nier. It's got it's highs and lows. In the end I actually I found it pretty uplifting. I am not irony posting.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Goons do a terrible job of selling the concept of NieR:A

The problem is that explaining the bits of Nier that are incredible is impossible without ruining those same bits. A fair bit of what makes those moments exceptional is the surprise in the moment. The framing, the context and the disbelief that someone would have the audacity to pull something like this. Most of the conventional metrics to judge a game are actually mediocre in Nier. The graphics are real loving bad. The combat is good but it's only about 70-80% of the depth and fun of Bayonetta or DmC (and even making this comparison is niche as hell). The sidequesting is real poo poo, even if some of them have nice story payoffs. The story is great but it's hours until you get any real coherence on that front and everything feels disjointed until you do.

If not for Persona 5 it would be my shoo-in game of the year but explaining to people why is an operation in frustration.

Failboattootoot fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Mar 24, 2017

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

I wonder if this time Bungie will manage to not gently caress up every aspect of their game that isn't directly related to being an fps. Every part of the mmo side of their mmo-fps was lousy and below mmo-genre standards and that should really be saying something.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

I liked dark souls 2 and 3. I didn't care for 3 until I rerolled from a str build to a faith/int pyro build though.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Attitude Indicator posted:

About sidequests in Nier Automata:

- Do you need to do any of them for the different routes? Im on route B now.

- The ones that are cleared will stay cleared on the next route and not be marked as objectives, right? That's the impression i've gotten early on in route B.

Sidequests don't matter for the main 5 endings.

Yes. Some of them may reset your progress if you do part of them but they aren't completed before finishing a route though.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Attitude Indicator posted:

I've just started route C now and I'm just amazed. Like, how do you get away with pulling this poo poo Taro?

I love that Square Enix is a crazy enough company to keep bankrolling Yoko Taro. Even better than that is it seemed to finally pay off this time.

Failboattootoot fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Apr 2, 2017

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

veni veni veni posted:

As much as I can't stand God of War the new one does actually look like it has potential. Although, I think it would need to have a gameplay overhaul and turn the edginess down a few notches from 11 to grab my interest at all.

It seems fairly likely that things will be toned down a bit. The trailer they showed had some gnarly gore but there was also an interview with the dev where he said that GoW 3 went way too far into idiot edgelord territory, to paraphrase. Hopefully this will translate into visceral and grotesque combat gore and none of the hurr durr let's torture this random innocent dude to open a door.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Persona 5 is really good. It's a shoo-in for my goty if it doesn't get all stupid late in the game. My favorite game too honestly, which isn't a surprise since P4 was my favorite before it. I never knew how much I wanted stealth action in my jrpg's until this game.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Manatee Cannon posted:

no I get that (you literally can't complete a dungeon in a single day anymore because of the calling card) and you don't gotta explain it to me :v: it's just a change that I don't appreciate, personally

I could have hit the treasure in one go if I'd had literally any healing items left tho. just gotta wait for the hp/sp restoring skills and accessories that are in every smt game and stock up on restoratives until then I guess

I personally appreciate it because the days where I'd clear the previous dungeon and the new dungeon in the same day in p4 were really god drat brutal to get through. Being forced out, while vexing from an optimization standpoint, has really helped the pacing to me. Now if only there weren't so many days where you don't get to make decisions. That's really my only complaint so far.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

MZ posted:

I've spent nearly 4 months getting through Witcher 3 and not bought a single 2017 game yet, which should I go for:

Yakuza 0
Nier
Persona 5

These are the ones on your list that I have played and of them I would recommend Nier the most. I'm in the middle of wrapping up P5 I think and it's probably going to end up being my favorite game of all time in the end, like P4 was before it. However, you just came off a 100 hour rpg and I doubt another 100 hour rpg is what's on the table. My Yakuza run was also 90 solid hours of faffing about. Nier was only 50. You won't go wrong with any of them though.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

veni veni veni posted:

I don't know what it is. I loved the first one. The second wasn't bad and I finished it but I never got the same level of enjoyment out of it or had any desire to play it again.

And I've said before, I think the second is technically better in most regards. Something just didn't click and I don't know what it was.

It controls like a pile of butt, at least on PC. Not only did the mouse movement very obviously lag, but it's speed was still entirely too slow despite being set to the maximum speed in game. Combined with the really uninteresting story, I gave up on it in the middle of the mansion when something better (Yakuza I think, maybe Berseria) came along.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Fix posted:

Jesus, I'm just looking for an actual answer here. Like, I have no idea what a rig costs.

A fairly high end pc (just the pc, no peripherals at all) will run about $900. If you go crazy top of the line you can hit $2-3k but you arguably won't see significant gains over the $900 one. Significant is debateable of course, but you aren't going to get double the performance for double the cost.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Black King Conga posted:

Hey guys, just wanted to get your opinion on which game I should get next.

I'm choosing between Yakuza 0 and Persona 5. I basically have no experience in both franchises and thought it would be a good time to start. I'm looking for something quite different as I've been playing a lot of open world games.

Thanks!

Well if you are looking for something different from an open world game then you should play Persona since Yakuza is an open world game.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

VoLaTiLe posted:

Final fantasy 15 = poo poo ending really didn't care decent beginning/mid game

What do you mean by ending? I'd say it had the best ending in the series but I would be specifically talking about the point where you enter the final area to the actual end. If you mean the last few chapters then sure ok.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Zelda is a weird game to me, having just finished it. I liked it quite a bit! It's definitely the best Zelda game they've ever made (which probably doesn't count for much coming from me since I've disliked every Zelda since lttp until now). But it still felt wildly overhyped to me and I wouldn't place it above any of the other games I've beaten this year so far.