Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.
The fixes could definitely be applied via patch, I just don't think there's enough financial incentive to do it. A PC / PS5 re-release a la Scholar of the First Sin would sell really well, though. Market it as a 4K / 60FPS game, include the DLC, list it for $40, and watch the money roll in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

bows1 posted:

I hope i never gets about frame rates again.

Did all of you puke and delete the game jumping out the window of the dojo in Sekiro ?

Nah, I played it on PC :haw:

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Bust Rodd posted:

I put 400 hours into BB on PS4 Pro Boost Mode.

Once, for about an hour, I turned boost mode off. I thought my characters armor maybe looked a little different, like their clothes were moving differently than I was used to, but other than that I couldn’t tell the difference and decided Boost Mode was probably fine. That’s the only time I’ve ever turned Boost Mode off.

I’m also a high-end Pc gamer so it’s not like I don’t have games with really good graphics too, I just don’t see why you would need a graphical remaster of a game that still looks loving great like Bloodborne.

I agree that it still looks great. The main problem is the poor performance. Give me 60fps and a higher resolution, and I'll be happy.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Any PS4 game that runs on PS5 should run with increase framerate and resolution at no additional cost.

I agree 100%, but BB has a ton of gameplay-related stuff tied to frame rate, and it's going to require a significant amount of work to get it running at 60fps without any bugs. It's unlikely anyone is going to do this work unless they can get some money out of it.

If a PC version is indeed in the works, I think it'd make the most sense to apply the same upgrades that the PC gets to a PS5 version. Include the DLC and sell it for $40. If you already own the PS4 version, offering an upgrade to the PS5 version for cheaper would be cool, and not unheard of.

il serpente cosmico fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Jun 7, 2020

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Adventure games don't have quests. RPGs do :colbert:

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Ineffiable posted:

On one hand, would you really trust anyone to make a new level for a souls game besides from software themselves?

I've played code vein, Nioh, surge and more souls likes and the level design just doesn't compare.

I wouldn't mind if they gave it a shot. The unfinished area is in the game code, so they would have something to work with as they tried to reverse engineer what it would have been like. I think it'd make sense to add it in as optional / late game content.

Mr Hootington posted:

I hope bluepoint is remastering fallout 3

No amount of tlc will make Fallout 3 look good, I'm afraid.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Hang on...

PS5...

V....

PSV

PS Vita

:aaaaa:

PS Venom

Mr Hootington posted:

Maybe they will announce a remaster of cyberpunk 2077 and death stranding.

Why not put out the PC version of Death Stranding on the PS5? 60fps would be a nice upgrade. And next gen versions of Cyberpunk are already in the works. It's going to be a crossgen game.

il serpente cosmico fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Jun 8, 2020

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Vikar Jerome posted:

apparantly an italian journo who said the event got moved to the 11th before the announcement also said ps5 is full bc with all prior gens.

If this is true, then PS5 is an obvious preorder for me. I'd really like to be able to put away my PS2 and PS3 (my full BC PS3 died, sadly, and I had to replace it with a super slim model).

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Bloodborne still looks better than most games. The spattering and clothing detail still have not been topped. Not to mention some of the partical effects in action scenes look amazing, like when Ebrietas casts A Call Beyond, Ludwig goes moonblade murder, or Laurence bleeds lava out the rear end in a top hat. :o:

But it runs like trash :/

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

FlamingLiberal posted:

Isn’t the whole PS3 BC issue that those games were made to run with the CELL processor and don’t emulate well without one?

PC emulation for PS3 has come a long way. Sony understands the architecture better than anyone else, and if they put in the time and effort, they could get the games running well on PS5.

If they do target PS3 back compatability, I'd be really surprised if all or most games work out of the box right off the bat. It'd probably be easier to target games that don't make extensive use of the SPE cores.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Nail Rat posted:

They might not even be able to make all games work out of the box legally. They probably only could do games where they own the IP without paying publishers.

I don't know the ins and outs of this, but I think the main issue that Microsoft has run into with 360 games on the Bone is that they aren't simply running the native code. They are doing some light port work to get the games working on the newer platform, which means they need to get all the rights holders onboard to make it happen. This isn't a problem 90% of the time since the original publisher doesn't have to do any work on it, but sometimes things can get caught in limbo.

If PS5 is just running PS3 game code without modifying it, then I don't think they'd run into this problem, but I'm not positive. Obviously things are more complicated these days than they were when the PS3 was running PS2 and PS1 discs when you consider most people have extensive libraries tied to their accounts, the game all have patches and DLC, music rights can get tricky, etc.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

The Question IRL posted:

Interesting. Wow, I did remember that right.

So, could Sony not put the same or a more advanced chip for the PS1 and or PS2 into the PS5?
Like they couldn’t be that big, right?

Sony could absolutely put dedicated hardware in the unit to run PS3, PS2, and PS1 games. The problem is that this will increase its cost, which almost certainly isn't worth it. There aren't any fabs currently producing any of that hardware, so you'd have to consider how much it would cost to get production up and running on a die-shrunk cell processor, dealing with its heat output, etc. The goal would be to find some addition usage for it on the mainboard, but then you're looking at increasing engineering costs and potentially making the system more of a pain to develop for.

Software emulation makes a lot more sense, considering the power of the system.

il serpente cosmico fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Jun 9, 2020

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

The Question IRL posted:

So is Software Emulation or Hardware Emulation better/ more reliable?

They both have their benefits and drawbacks. Ultimately, good software emulation can reproduce games with 100% accuracy (or get you so close that only digital foundry will be able to tell the difference), and they also give you more flexibility with features like increasing the output resolution, supporting save states, speeding up games (such as JRPGs where you just want to blast through the random encounters), allowing different input options, etc. It requires a lot of development, you need more system overhead, and bugs are often found in a per-game basis.

Hardware emulation, like Sony's solution in the PS2, has the benefit of running a vast majority of a system's library at 100% accuracy with much less software development. Nintendo has also used Hardware emulation in some interesting ways. You might remember when Nintendo gave away certain GBA games to early adopters of the 3DS, since the system launch ended up being such a poo poo show. These games weren't made widely available. When you boot them up, the system essentially turns itself into a GBA - the processor down-clocks and replicates the functionality of the GBA. You lose all of the functionality of Nintendo's other Virtual Console games (things like save states and wireless multiplayer), because the system is just functioning as an exact replica of the GBA. I also believe you need to reset the console to return to the home screen, since the GBA obviously doesn't have the functionality to do that. It's kind of lovely that Nintendo didn't make the GBA library available for everyone with a 3DS - there are a lot of GBA gems. You can inject GBA games into the console with custom firmware, though.

A fun development in emulation is the FPGA scene, where programmable transistor gate arrays are programmed to replicate different pieces of hardware and run games in a native environment, despite the hardware itself being very different than the original systems'.

I don't think Sony would be able to hit anywhere close to 100% backwards compatibility on PS3 games out of the game without hardware emulation. If they are going to aim for PS3 back compat, they will probably use Microsoft's approach and get different games running through emulation over time. The poster who mentioned the PS5's sound chip being of similar design to the cell processor is definitely interesting, though. Hopefully they'll lay out some of their plans soon.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

I just had a bad thought. What if Sony reveals that PS4 games will run natively on PS5, and PS1-3 libraries will all be playable through PS Now 2.0, and that's what we get for back compat?

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

I just want to be able to play MGS 2 and 3 HD, MGS 4, and Demon's Souls after my PS3 inevitably dies.

Alternatively, please release all these titles on PC, and give me my Demon's Souls remake.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Some of the text to speech to describe the gore is gonna be :lol:

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

abelwingnut posted:

as someone who hasn't really gamed since ps1, and only had a few games on ps2, i would love this. would i rather be able to play the discs i already have? sure. but i'm willing to play a decently priced flat rate to access that backlog.

i basically just want one device. i don't want to have three playstations here, two nintendos, etc, and i'm willing to pay a decent amount to have that happen.

Game streaming is garbage, though, and if it's the only option, I'll never bother with it.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

I would think HZD2 would be ready to show at this point. It's been over three years since the release of the first game, and AAA games are usually on about a 4 year cycle these days.

I guess The Frozen Wilds came out November 2017, so if they didn't start production in earnest until that was finished, it may still be pretty early for the sequel.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Also, is Frozen Wilds worth a go? I enjoyed HZD quite a bit but never got around to the DLC, and now I'm afraid that I forgot how to play it.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Escobarbarian posted:

Do y’all think Cyberpunk will be out on the PS5 close to release?

In interviews they've said they have no real timeline on it. It's being developed, but I wouldn't expect that it'll even be a "release window" game. It's more likely that it'll come out a year or 18 months after the initial release and include whatever DLC has been released, imo.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

It'd probably make the most sense for them to hold off a bit on the enhanced editions. The install base on the new consoles is going to be small at first, and I suspect at release the game is going to be coming in very hot and will need further optimization and bug fixes. They can continue to optimize the PC version, and use the improvements there to release an enhanced edition on PS5 and X series once the user bases are a bit bigger.

univbee posted:

So it seems the PS4 version will run on PS5, but a proper PS5 version will be later.

Isn't Sony requiring that all games submitted for PS4 certification beginning this month need to run on PS5, as well? I think I heard that on a podcast.

il serpente cosmico fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Jun 10, 2020

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

BisterdDave posted:

Assassin's Creed Valhalla
Call of Duty: Black Ops
Destiny 2 running on PS5
Godfall gameplay
some indies
end with Demon's Souls Remake trailer

Anything else beyond this will be very surprising to see.

Forgetting Bloodborne remaster

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

RareAcumen posted:

Still annoyed that Wind Waker HD is still trapped on WiiU.

Original Wind Waker works really well on Dolphin. It looks great, too.

On that note, Mario Galaxy 1 and 2 also look and run really good. It's honestly kind of shocking how modern and good Galaxy 1 and 2 look with a simple up-res.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Do exclusives count as exclusives when they're also available on PC?

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Nobody plays the original Bible, they just jump straight to its gaudy remake, Paradise Lost.

il serpente cosmico fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Jun 11, 2020

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

I'm holding out hope for a Kojima Meta Gear Solid game revealed tomorrow

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Bummed that Bloodborne remaster rumor did not come to pass, but at least we got our Demon's Souls.

Also, SKU without a disc drive does not bode well for back compat.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

I said come in! posted:

Since back compat is PS4 only, all PS4 games are digital so this is a non-issue, but if you have a large physical disc library you will not want the digital edition.

I was mainly talking about the rumor that back compat would go deeper than PS4, potentially all the way back to PS1.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

SeANMcBAY posted:

Please just tell me Demon Souls remake will come to PC. I’ve always wanted to play it.

I wouldn't count on it. Sony owns the publishing rights, and an internal Sony studio is assisting with the development. We're seeing them port some of their stuff to PC now (H:ZD being a big one), so I wouldn't rule it out, but it doesn't seem likely.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Mira posted:

wait didn't bluepoint say they were revealing two games?

I don't think they said anything. Rumor was that they were working on a Bloodborne remaster and DeS remake, both of which would be revealed at the event.

Given the "leak" also said the press event would end with the DeS remake, I think it's safe to safe the rumor was BS. The Demon's Souls remake has been rumored for ages now (with some decent supporting evidence).

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Fractured more in Demon's Would may resemble a proposed hardcore mode that was cut from the original game. It may be a permadeath mode, where if you did in Soul form you lose (or lose significant progress). The upshot is that touching your bloodstain would revive you to human form.

This is all speculation at the moment.

The game will also have a performance mode and a fidelity mode, much like SotC

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

The original intro movie had a similar establishing shot of a snowy mountain. I wouldn't read too much in to it.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

I remember when Bluepoint did the SotC remaster for PS3 and people complained that the higher frame rate ruined the cinematic quality of the original. There will be a subset of people who will not be happy no matter what they do. The good news for that subset is that they'll always have the original game to go back to.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

morestuff posted:

I don't know that it "ruins" anything but it also seems OK to have aesthetic preferences

Of course it's OK, but hand wringing over a game somehow being aesthetically better because it is running at 15 frames a second seems like less of a preference and more like an obsession with the source material.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Sakurazuka posted:

My complaints have nothing to do with frame rate though

My original point was that no matter what BP does, there will be a subset of people unhappy with their decisions. And for those people, the original versions still exist to play. It's true the servers are shut down, but that would be true whether or not this new version existed.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

SubponticatePoster posted:

Oh yeah, that too.

One thing I am looking forward to is all the people who never played the first time around accidentally (or purposely) killing Stockpile Thomas if they don't take it out.

I really hope the cat ring status icon is left the same. It's so goofy and out of place - it's one of the few points of levity in the original game. Sort of like the dog powering the huge wheel in Blighttown.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Rinkles posted:

Remakes aren't really a new thing. Look at Resident Evil 1.

Metal Gear Solid was essentially a remake of Metal Gear 1. Devs have been doing this since forever, pretty much

il serpente cosmico fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Jun 14, 2020

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

bloodysabbath posted:

This man is often held up as one of the industry’s best fuckin lol

He's literally reporting what the devs told him

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Guillermus posted:

If you played The Witcher 3, and synced your PSN cheevos with GOG Galaxy 2.0, it'll detect what version you owned (normal/dlc/goty) and will add a copy to your GOG library.

I tried last night to re-sync my PSN and I couldn't because of the timeout thing but there was a banner on Galaxy, clicked on it and got a GOTY edition added.

The DLC lets you start it with an appropriately-leveled character. I get wanting to use your own save for it, but it works well and the DLC is really good!

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Hey man don't knock tribes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4MOEDu8NWtg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

I decided to replace my Pro's internal HDD with a solid state drive. Thus far, I've only really tested it with the FF7 remake, which I'm currently playing through (I'm at chapter 14).

Some observations: Load times are reduced noticably, but I didn't time how long will it took before and after. They aren't even close to outright eliminated, and the PS4 clearly doesn't see the same benefit a modern PC would.

The more interesting effects happen in-game, though. The solid state drive has completely eliminated that annoying lag between opening your map and having the elements load in. Likewise, it has completely eliminated the time it takes between interacting with an NPC and their conversation loading in. The texture pop-in is reduced significantly, but I still see it from time to time.

The quality of life improvements with the map and NPC interactions are very nice, and they were not things that I was expecting the upgrade to fix.