Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Midjack posted:

Maybe before he put it on the loving floor to take pictures of it.

blu rays are scratch proof mostly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

haveblue posted:

Blu-rays are covered with a more durable plastic than DVDs. This was a very late development in the BR spec, we narrowly avoided having to keep them in caddies

Yeah, beside how flexible and upgradable the bluray spec is, the primary feature that makes them the best physical media of all time is the scratch-proof coat

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

VideoGames posted:

I do not quite get that post about the chalice dungeons (or indeed the dungeons themselves). I could not do the first headstone (a short root chalice is needed), but did create one on the second one and did levels 1-3 (The overlord dog was a very cool looking boss!).

what should I be doing next? Pop over to the next headstone and create another Pthumerian chalice? How do I go about doing the ones in that post? I would not mind seeing what the other weapons are like.

Also I played a bit more dark souls (been having fun with skellybones in the catacombs) and beat the gaping maw dragon and got myself uncursed thanks to that guy in the bell tower. I wanted to do more in blighttown but the first two guys I faced are so difficult and take ages for me to whittle them down that if they are what to expect I thought I would explore more and get a bit more experience.

When I slipped back over to Bloodborne I just felt the rhythm so much more and went and did the Blood starved beast, the witch of hemwick and just messed around with all the places again. Somehow a game is so good that I am immediately playing through it again. :D

A couple comments.

Each chalice, if thoroughly explored, should yield the proper ritual materials needed to create the next one, the order goes:

- Pthumeru Chalice

- Central Pthumeru

- Lower Pthumeru - Make sure you get the Workshop Haze Extractor from Layer 2

- Ailing Loran - Layer 2 treasure room contains the Beast Claw, a weapon you'd need for the All Weapons trophy

- Defiled Chalice

- Lower Loran

- Great Isz

- Pthumeru Ihyll

Hintertombs are not required but can be done around Lower Pthumeru. They don't really yield much besides some clothes.

-------

As far as Dark Souls is concerned, it'll probably take you a bit longer to get the pace of it, it's a slower game where you have to carefully and steadily move further and further away from precious resources in order to progress, including bonfires. Be careful going to the Catacombs too early though as it's late game content and if you get stuck down there with no way to teleport out you're going to make things really REALLY frustrating for yourself. This mistake is more common than you might think! My suggestion would be to turn back and instead explore further down into Blighttown, Valley of Drakes, or find the entrance to Darkroot Garden nearby Andre the Blacksmith. Good luck!

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

VideoGames posted:

Yeah that chalice stuff up there, should I be removing a done chalice and building a new one? I have some loran stuff already. It is a bit confusing. Also shared fixed are the ones in the game? And how do I do the ones with passwords?

Also ok! I did do a bit of darkroot basin but those crystal guys are too tough for my +6 axe. I barely chip anything off of them. The broccolis are easy though.
Valley of the Drakes is the one place yet to go, but right now I feel very underpowered and slow. I am not a fan of how slow I feel but it is not Dark Souls fault, it is my fault for falling in love with Bloodborne.

Yeah, consider them like save slots. You're free to delete the completed chalice as long as you've confirmed that you have all the ritual material you need for the next one. If you don't have the ritual materials you need then you can always pop back into the levels and poke around the sidepaths for whatever you missed. This usually isn't an issue in the early chalices, but if you forget to grab a high level Ritual Blood in a later chalice you might not have what you need to progress, and in that case it would be a mistake to delete the chalice you need pre-emptively.

Shared Fixed are the story chalices, yes, and you can summon homies on them just like normal as long as they have the same levels and lamps open. Glyph chalices can be made on the Makeshift Altar, you should be able to buy the Short Ritual Root Chalice for that at the Insight Messenger Bath for 10 Insight.

Sounds like Blight Town is your main destination then! Once you've rang the bell down there you'll open up another new area near where you met the Onion Knight. Also, Andre can sell you an item to open up the Artorius Seal door in DarkRoot Garden, so you'll want to explore the part of Darkroot that doesn't branch off down into Darkroot Basin.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

PantsBandit posted:

Made it through Sen's Fortress.

At this point I'm in Anor Lando. Considering turning around because I think I might be here a little early, I'm pretty sure there are several major areas I haven't explored. On the other hand I read that the item that let's you fast travel is here and that would save a lot of legwork.

Oh and iron golem was a total pushover.

Do not turn around.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

You're exactly where you need to be.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

fridge corn posted:

I need ps+ to do these hacked chalice dungeons?? Wtf

enough of this, corn. get ps+ and play bloodsouls with us you drat goon :blastu:

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

Demon’s souls always felt snappier than dark souls 1 to me because you sprint faster and sooner after holding the button

Same. Dark Souls is the most plodding game in the series.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Are people still talking 'bout Bugsnax?

Obviously not, since there's no thread.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

VideoGames posted:

:3: No problem at all! It was fun to finally visit that place only spoken about negatively! I can only imagine how difficult it must have been on a PS3 with a Dualshock 3 controller and a tanking frame rate. Yikes!

Honestly, without your resin and assistance that boss would have just been one long war of attrition and that would have not been any fun at all whatsoever.

I had been around there briefly due to the master key but turned back after I hit that eyeless dragon in the head to see if it was alive and figured, yeah I have not even levelled up yet I am here way too early :D At least now I know the other route to blighttown should I need to go down there again. It is possible because of Quequeg's sister and any cool spells!

And I am definitely enjoying it more than I was. It has to be the streaming aspect of the game. I love to game with people by my side in real life, so the streaming part is enhancing my fun.

I am excited to go in Onion head's open door, also excited to go downstairs to Darkroot again and try that big sealed door as well! Plus there is still (at some point) the Valley of the Drakes, the ruins under Firelink Shrine, the Darkroot Basin and the Catacombs! (I am so glad I did not get stuck down there - thank you Balder Side Sword for being great at dealing with skellybones).

I have no idea how far I am in the game, but it does not feel too far. I can count on just over one hand the bosses I have faced (Taurus Demon, Capra Demon, Bell Gargoyles, Gaping Dragon, Lady Butterfly and Quequeg. How much more is there to go? Have I just scratched the surface of the game? It does not feel as though I have done much, but I feel I have seen a lot of area. Basically, I have no clue! :D I am feeling positive that I will be able to complete it though. That black knight fight with the kiting and taking him down felt really good as did taking out the big club dudes in Blighttown. The combat is sinking in and while it is not dodging, I am fast enough to go one on one with enemies and get behind them usually. (I do keep almost trying do the viscerals on people but that is muscle memory creeping up on me!)

I could talk about this stuff all day! Needless to say, thank you again guys. Also sorry for the weird way of saying goodbye, I never ever know how to stop it and Lady VG laughs at me everytime. :3:

Minus the DLC I'd estimate that you're about 1/3 of the way through the game. The Souls trilogy games are larger and longer than Bloodborne on average.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

veni veni veni posted:

No way, Dark Souls 2. They added that stupid poo poo that thankfully went away after DS2, where you can't run again until your stamina regens all the way and everything feels floaty and sluggish and just all around off. Unless you aren't counting DS2 as a real Souls game, which I wouldn't fault you for.

:wink:

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Quantum of Phallus posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFB-Z6mNKvM

PS5 and PS4 Pro footage

they're too shook to show base console!!!

e:lighting and animation look amazing tbh

still lolling at the slow driving

this looks...like a not so great time

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

veni veni veni posted:

I'm torn on PS4 or PC. On PC it'll probably be closer to the eventual PS5 version, and when the PS5 update comes out there's very little chance I'm going to want to play it all over again already. So if I go with PS4 I'm not going to get the next gen experience for like 3 years because that's probably how long it would be before I'd want to replay something like that. On the other hand I don't want to play it hunched over a laptop so I'm probably just going to deal with longer load times and less pedestrians. I guess I could just hook my laptop up to the TV but meh. I'll probably just go with PS4.

Having been on board at the Witcher 3 launch I can definitively say 2077 will not be worth wading through at launch, and you might as well wait a few months.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Solaris 2.0 posted:

So after finishing CoD: Infinite Warfare I got the hankering for more, and started replaying TitanFall 2.

Goddamn is this game just the perfect sci-fi shooter. Every mechanic feels polished to the bone, every little detail is accounted for. Little things like encountering hostile wildlife, or the little ammo counters on each gun, or the game's HUD telling you where a new gun pick-up is. The shooting feels great, the movement is perfect, and each and every single mission/map is unique.

I won't even get started on the amazing story between man and machine, or how much fun controlling titans is.

I never did get to experience much of the Multiplayer when I originally played the game back in 2018, but even back then the community was on life-support and now I expect it is dead. Shame too, as I had a lot of fun with Frontier Defense.

It really is a goddamn shame that instead of getting more TitanFall, Respawn stumbled on the Battle Royal goldmine and now devote all their time to Apex Legends. Which I understand, it's a money maker. But if Respawn has time to make a new VR Medal of Honor, they could also make a Titanfall 3.

We get endless Halo, Gears of War, and CoD entries, it's just such a goddamn shame that a franchise as good as Titanfall gets left for dead.

It's the perfect FPS.

I'm confident that we'll get a threequel sometime during gen 9.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CtRBifjWiaE

BeanpolePeckerwood fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Nov 24, 2020

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Midjack posted:

Breaking news: the World Science Fiction Society is presenting a Hugo Award for Best Game in 2021! This award has been around since the 50s and is probably the biggest prize in the science fiction and fantasy genres. I made a thread here since it's the first time they've had games as a category and they're considering adding it as a permanent one.

That's actually kind of rad.

edit; lifetime achievement award for SOMA imo

BeanpolePeckerwood fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Nov 25, 2020

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

veni veni veni posted:

Zero percent chance I end up having that kind of willpower. Literally zero.

Yeah, after I posted I was like :thunk: this is Veni we're talking about...

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

FlamingLiberal posted:

Didn't Respawn confirm they were working on Titanfall 3?

They were, using modified source, then it got put on hold...probably because they anticipated changing engines, so basically it became a next-gen game on the back-burner while they focused on live services and rehab of the star wars license.

JBP posted:

I'm pretty certain that TF3 turned into Apex and that's how it is now

They were being developed concurrently because they used the same engine, then plans for TF3 were put on the back-burner, probably because the studio was split in too many directions.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

LOL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7pdOej4nvPM

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Wolfsheim posted:

I picked up Celeste on sale thinking it would be a chill platform puzzle game that would ease you into its challenge (the kind of thing my girlfriend loves, she platinumed Rayman Legends for example) but by the end of the first stage you're basically playing late-game Super Meat Boy style 'gently caress you idiot do it again' difficulty and then in the second stage they functionally add a timer that chases you jfc

It's definitely a 'splatformer', but the music, art, and story are super good, and there's an assist mode where you can tweak game variables if it becomes too arduous.

I had to accept my own defeat during the super hard B-Sides, never before has my hand cramped up so bad playing a videogame. I find the main game very approachable though, and you're definitely meant to die a lot no matter the case.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

ShoogaSlim posted:

i spoke too soon. i just beat the big alien mushroom thing in the flower garden and now im fighting the tentacle cthulhu thing ebrietas and even though im dying a bunch, it feels fair and like i can get it...

...except when you're inflicted with frenzy and then there's literally nothing you can do except watch the meter run up and you die. cool.

e: i used the summon against my pride and beat it pretty easily but now i feel like a punk

The first time I ever beat Ebrietas I died from frenzy 2 seconds after the trophy popped :lmao:

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

VideoGames posted:

Celeste is a game I love and would make my TGOAT list when I finish it. It started to get very tough for me in world 5 and I have this crippling problem with games like that when the objectives (strawberries) are on view in that I cannot continue if I cannot get them. I think I have something like 800 deaths in my current playthrough :)

Plus the SMB3 secret working was an utter treat and Lady VG asked me what I was doing at first. 10 year old me jumped with joy at it working :D

It'd be a shame to miss the story over a few fruity trinkets imo, it really is a nice one.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

it's evening :colbert:

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Veeg, I powered through to where you are in DS on my ng+, so I should be able to co-op with y'all if needed

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

yeah... in Palookaville maybe!

lmao

VideoGames posted:

Excellent! MosquitoJones helped me tremendously and I love going round these games with you guys :D Like we are an unstoppable team putting right the wrongs of the world!

If only miyazaki games were ever capable of happy endings

Escobarbarian posted:

Thinking about all the times I rolled my eyes after seeing several posts in a row about how good Bloodborne was......what a wrong, wrong idiot I was......

Ahhh, Kos, or some say Kosm....do you read our posts?

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Policenaut posted:

On the Plus side we're technically back up to 4 PS+ games a month what with the rotating multi-month PS5 game included.

Those four games barely add up to one whole game imo

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

henpod posted:

I know we all say this every month, but this is a terrible PS+ month for a COVID--infested Christmas period following the launch of their new console.

They want you out there buying new $70 titles or spending money on holiday sales...and they also want to take credit for having given you something.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

exquisite tea posted:

Every month where you pay Sony money to use the internet you already pay for is a poo poo month!!

A decade of perpetual poo poo!

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

yeah but enough about my posting

if your posting is poo poo then i'm a turd burglar

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

VideoGames posted:

Thank you my lovely friends another great evening of Dark Souls. Went through sens fortress, got given some incredible weaponry and gifts from MosquitoJones again. We then, with iron tarkus, did the iron golem and made him fall off the arena and I made my way to anor londo!

I did the archers on my second try and ended the night becoming a parry master on all the random knights running around the bedrooms :)

Loving Dark Souls. :)

I'm sorry I missed it! , I had life-duties to attend to. Catching up on the stream now, wow, you really powered through Sen's Funhouse. Next time I will absolutely join y'all for one of the end of Anor Londo, one of the high points of the series!

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

VideoGames posted:

It is ok! Life duties always come first :3: and I never know when I am going to stream other than 'I feel like doing it now!' at least you can see how much ridiculousness I get up to and I am archiving my past streams. I am thinking of learning how to edit and possibly putting together compilations of moments. Not sure where I should start with that, or what I should use but I am enticed :)

Kicking dudes off ledges compilation, followed by Veeg screaming comp, followed by times where you see something crazy happen right in front of you and you just stop dead in your tracks trying to contemplate. There were some good screams in Sen's Fortress, like when you got surprise-smashed by a boulder, and when you got elevator-spiked.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

fridge corn posted:

Picked up where I left off in the fixed chalice dungeons and stomped the undead giant which was a wall for me last time but the next boss is rom!!!! :argh: I hate this fight it gives me so much trouble :argh::argh:

Undead Giant is a loving slog, that's the second one right? With the spinning chainballs? Ugh, when I made a bloodtinge build I was really happy to gank Defiled Amy and Undead Giant with the bowblade.

For chalice Rom I really recommend just full on rush Kirkhammer with bolt paper active, ignore the spiders, just dodge like mad and try to do as much damage before the first teleport as possible. You are definitely going to die prematurely a few times but it's the least tedious method imo

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

VideoGames posted:

I scream a lot! I am lucky enough to be one of those people who properly gets immersed in games, like the characters are extensions of myself. One of the most terrifying moments I have ever experienced in a game was during STALKER and I was in the underground labs and you meet the Judge for the first time. That weird noise followed by the camera zoom jumping towards his face over and over again caused me to absolutely flip out and panic and try to escape up the ladder as if I was actually being attacked myself. :D

Also if I ever play HL2 again, then the numerous headcrab moments cause oodles of panic. Especially the spider ones. Once I was playing and a friend was watching me and I shrieked so loudly that they threw their cup of tea in the air and it landed all over the pc. :D I do jump easily and it is one of my favourite emotional reactions! :D

There were a couple that were particularly good, at 47:42 when the boulder machine switched back behind you without any notification, that was funny as hell.

And then up top when the giant started throwing explosives down at you, that was loving primo streaming entertainment.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

SubponticatePoster posted:

and another group of celestials

post + av combo :laugh:

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

DaitoX posted:

2024 and gamepass will be available on PS5.

gonna be more busted than skyrim on PS3 lmao

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

hello bloodsouls goonsquad, i need help with Four Kings on ng+ if there's anyone out there who can

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

ShoogaSlim posted:

i'm super tempted to get demons souls so i can experience an actual ps5 game, but i just started the chalice dungeons in bloodborne and i'm afraid of flipping back and forth between the two play styles.

also am i a dumb idiot for still using my fully maxed regular axe in NG+? every other weapon I've picked up would require a bunch of upgrading meanwhile my axe already does far more damage than anything else i have.

Axe is in the top-3 of best weapons in the game.

It's got solutions to just about every situation.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

SubponticatePoster posted:

Still need help, Beanpole? I have a couple that would fit the bill.

Ya, what timezone you at?

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Sakurazuka posted:

There's some ambient music but it's mostly bosses otherwise

There isn't really ambient music in much of BB or DS games ftmp, but there is a truckload of environmental sound that makes everything seem thick and dense as hell, especially in BB levels. It's definitely something I missed in the chalices.

What's next? Xenogears with a complete 2nd disc? :swoon:

Escobarbarian posted:

The hub music in Dark Souls III is so great. One of my favourite tracks in a From game.

:same:

exquisite tea posted:

How my morning trying to play AC Valhalla has been going:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JgLUKsZaXwI

bona-fide RDR2 dna right there

fridge corn posted:

Tbh xenogears sucked anyway. It was only cool at the time cuz everyone was obsessed with evangelion back then except in xenogears shibji and asuka actually bone or something. Idk I never finished it

extremely poor cornposting

VideoGames posted:

Chalice dungeon Rom is tough as heck!

holy gently caress, Veegy on course to plat bloodborne :stonk:

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

VideoGames posted:

Is there a point where they stop falling? I started killing them but more were dropping down so I switched focus! If they eventually stop I will focus on them.

There are three waves of spiders. The first wave spawns with Rom. If you do enough damage to Rom before she makes her initial teleport then the other two waves will drop simultaneously.

fridge corn posted:

I hear ya buddy. I did chalice rom a few days ago. Went into that fight overconfident and underpreparded. Humbling experience.

Currently need to farm some mats to make the defiled chalice and not looking forward to it. Anyone have and hot tips for the defiled chalice? I hear it's a doozy

Make sure your dodging is on point, your bloodvials are at 24, wear an HP up rune or two (also the Executioner's covenant rune), and be very familiar with enemy attacks.

You can watch Shuhei Yoshida beat Defiled Hotdog in this vid

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ljVnni3vUd8

YOSP is so dope that he actually did it twice, for japanese AND american audiences. Truly he is king of all videogame execs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8FNU7W9AOQ

As far as Defiled Amy goes, make sure your weapon is in extended or 2H mode, summon a friend, and ...ummm, pray to the moongod I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Policenaut posted:

After I finally got Shenmue 3 and FF7 Remake my pie in the sky is Xenogears remade by MSI and SquareEnix, imagine those Xenoblade 2 engine visuals with all the crazy poo poo in Gears.

Please...please...my heart can only take so much...