Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

The Hugo Awards are presented every year by the World Science Fiction Society during their annual convention to the best works and achievements in speculative fiction, science fiction, and fantasy in the previous calendar year. They are voted on by the attendees of the convention. They were first presented in 1953, didn't come back in 54, and have been presented every year from 1955 on. They are named for Hugo Gernsback, the editor of the first science fiction magazine Amazing Stories and someone who I think would appreciate this forum:

In addition to their many permanent categories for novels, short stories, series, editors, etc. they occasionally do one-off categories. In the past this has included things such as websites, cover artists, publishers, and other related categories. For 2021 they will present an award for Best Video Game, defined as:

quote:

any game or substantial modification of a game first released to the public on a major gaming platform in the previous calendar year in the fields of science fiction, fantasy, or related subjects.For these purposes, a game is defined as a work wherein player choice, interaction, or participation significantly impacts the narrative, play, meaning, or experience. A major gaming platform means that the game is available on personal computers such as Windows, Mac, or Linux computers (including, but not limited to, via Steam, Epic,itch.io, browser, or direct download), iOS, Android, Switch, PlayStation, and/or Xbox systems.

The Hugo Study Committee is considering a game/interactive experience category for addition as a permanent award, which would be pretty neat.

Press release:https://discon3.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/11/Best_Video_Game_Special_Hugo_Award_Category.pdf
Wikipedia on the Hugo Award: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hugo_Award
Hugo Awards by year: http://www.thehugoawards.org/hugo-history/

As we approach the end of 2020 many people are drawing up their best of the year lists, though we still have a few more high profile releases before year's end (Cyberpunk 2077, for one). What games or expansions of 2020 would you put on the same level of recent Hugo winners such as A Memory Called Empire, Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse, The Expanse, and Good Omens?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
Bugsnax better win

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
So many things that have been around forever are getting kicked to the curb because they don't know how to integrate themselves into the modern.
Glad to see people that can figure it out.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008
My top picks for best video game writing are Disco Elysium and Heaven's Vault, both of which are highly reactive to the player - which I think is a critical component of game writing, because that's what makes the genre of games unique. If a game has a static plot, it might as well be a movie or a book from a writing perspective - just like if a movie has a great plot but lovely cinematography or visual design, it should probably have just been a book.

Disco Elysium in particular seems made for this category, it'll be a travesty if it doesn't win (assuming it's in the eligibility window, not sure how they're handling that).

Arcsech fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Nov 25, 2020

Ryoga
Sep 10, 2003
Eternally Lost
If 13 sentinels doesn't win i will riot.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Arcsech posted:

My top picks for best video game writing are Disco Elysium and Heaven's Vault, both of which are highly reactive to the player - which I think is a critical component of game writing, because that's what makes the genre of games unique. If a game has a static plot, it might as well be a movie or a book from a writing perspective - just like if a movie has a great plot but lovely cinematography or visual design, it should probably have just been a book.

Disco Elysium in particular seems made for this category, it'll be a travesty if it doesn't win (assuming it's in the eligibility window, not sure how they're handling that).

Sadly it came out in October 2019 so it's just outside the window though it did get a Nebula nomination for its year.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Oh this is cool, I follow the Hugos every year. Nice to see them expanding into video games too.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
Outer Wilds didn't come out this year but should win on principle. I think it's probably the best implementation of a sci fi story, especially the "twist"

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
Didn't the C#-version of Aurora come out this year? That would be my pick. :v:

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

I was excited to hear this news and sad that Obra Dinn is not eligible. I also just bought new PC components because I'd like to play Disco Elysium and Outer Wilds based on buzz. Also Spiderverse and Good Omens kicked butt, and The Good Place was a Good Show.

Sounds like I'll be following the Hugos more closely for things other than books.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

hmm the best one i have played this year has been ff7r which kind of feels like cheating. enjoying 13 sentinels now but not very far in so it would need to stick the landing

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Finalists are out!

Best Video Game finalists are:

Animal Crossing: New Horizons (Publisher and Developer: Nintendo)
Blaseball (Publisher and Developer: The Game Band)
Final Fantasy VII Remake (Publisher Square Enix)
Hades (Publisher and Developer: Supergiant Games)
The Last of Us: Part II (Publisher: Sony Interactive Entertainment / Developer: Naughty Dog)
Spiritfarer (Publisher and Developer: Thunder Lotus)

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

13 Sentinels should have been in there.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Mode 7 posted:

13 Sentinels should have been in there.

Came out in Japan in 2019 so just outside the window.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Legit Surprised that Disco Elysium wasn't in there, but probably because it came out at the end of 2019. Maybe with the voiced release they'll consider it for next years.

I like how Jenny Nicholson's video about Bronies is also nominated in another category. I guess that GRRM and others complaints that Worldcon is too many old white guys talking about old white guys books and ignoring any other kind of sci-fi and looking down at people who came into the fandom though movies, tv or video games.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I guess Hades should probably win, which is funny since it's adapting myths, and a specific myth in particular, that are hundreds of years older than this actual award. I'd hope they don't give an actual award to The Last Of Us 2.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

animal crossing????????????????????????????????????? no

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

edit: nope

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

If you are a Worldcon member, the packet was just released. It contains all the nominated material, if allowed to be released by the owners, for voting members to look over for the Hugos. For the videogame category both Hades and Spiritfarer have a limited number of evaluation copies they will give out if requested. The instructions on how to get an evaluation copy are in the packet and require WorldCon membership information, so I don't think it will work for people just looking for free keys.

If you are curious about what the packet contains, it is kinda interesting to see how these companies present their game for an award:

Animal Crossing: New Horizons - Didn't bother to provide any material about the game at all
Blaseball - Description of the game, link to the beta, some links about the game, and another link to the press kit.
Final Fantasy VII Remake - Description, link to the demo, and more links to the documentary series, all the game trailers, press kit, social media accounts.
Hades - Simply says "There are trailers and gameplay videos of Hades available, but the best way to experience it is just to play it" and the rest is instructions on how to get an evaluation copy.
The Last of Us: Part II - Links to two trailers and the game website, plus 28 screenshots.
Spiritfarer - Slick marketing brochure that provides technical details, a game synopsis, and even advocacy in a "Why Spiritfarer" section, then information on how to obtain an evaluation copy, and 4 screenshots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

And the winner was Hades!