Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

So after picking up The Order 1886 on the flash sale, I have to say the game is a lot better than expected.

Hard to judge how I would have felt had I paid full price, but the game is definitely longer than '3 to 4 hours'. I really liked how they blended the game with the cinematic. The game looks incredible. The game is a little a slow at the start, but once you learn more about the rebellion it gets really fun. He QTEs and stealth sequences were fine. The second stealth sequence is great. I liked the story and the main characters. I hope they make a sequel although it feels unlikely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

Soul Glo posted:

Did you time yourself/is there a timer? 'Cause I don't really remember the game actually being very much longer than that. I Redboxed it and played it one Saturday when it was new; there wasn't a ton there. $60 was about $30 too much, imo.

The Order definitely wasn't one of these situations. That game was short, with nothing to do afterwards but go back in for collectibles, IIRC.

I didn't time it but I think timing a game as a definition of value being time=money=value doesn't do this game (and some other games) justice. A major problem is not considering the cinematic sequences as part of the game. Based on my expectations, I thought the game was going to end just when it got good. It made me question if many reviewers even finished the game. I agree that I wouldn't recommend it at $60. However, this holds true for most games. The game has a production value which is almost unparalleled. If people are into that, then they should absolutely play it. I really like this take on the game and why it is worth reconsideration: http://www.thumbsticks.com/second-shot-the-order-1886/

The replay value from the game would come from wanting to experience the story again, much like wanting to watch a movie again. It is a great example about how sometimes good games can be buried by biases from the gaming press. It is a press filled with hardcore gamers, who play games at lightning speed, and are often white males (with their politics and historical biases). The characters and themes in the story aren't likely to hit with this audience and that is not necessarily a problem with the game. The letterbox critique in particular feels shortsighted. It would be like critiquing a third-person shooter for not being first-person. The game is designed for this viewing and playing experience. If you don't like that than you probably don't like 'genre'.

I don't think it is perfect, but I am disappointed that the negative press at launch means we are unlikely to see a sequel which can a build upon a solid foundation.

Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

acksplode posted:

Kojima is itching to cross over into horror (see MGSV's missions 1 and 43), and Death Stranding has weird zombie soldiers and tentacle tanks, so who knows. He's said that he chose the military setting specifically because he wants it to do well in AAA market, and horror is generally niche, so I can see why he doesn't want to emphasize it.

For how great MGSV and Peace Walker are, I hope death stranding is MGS2/3 with horror elements. The structure of MGSV is really lovely for storytelling and I don't think I'll ever replay the game like I have 2/3/4 many times. I am actually thinking of booting up 2 again.

Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

Soul Glo posted:

Just because something's horrific doesn't make it horror. See: Souls/Bloodborne.

Bloodborne is 100% a horror game. Not because it is 'horrific' (I don't think it is), but because of its setting, monsters, story, etc. Many people consider it a ode to Lovecraft.

Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

Zaphod42 posted:

It has the themes of the horror genre of novels. It does not however feature the gameplay of the horror genre of games.

A distinction has to be made, they're not the same thing.

They're really synonymous in videogames. What else is there, Action Horror? Which would be what? Bloodborne and like... maybe Metro 2033? (Which is also borderline survival horror)

I don't think games are reducible to only their gameplay. Horror, like fantasy, sci-fi, thriller or other genres encompass a lot more than gameplay. Resident evil 1, last of us, bloodborne, and resident evil 7 are all horror games but all have distinctly different gameplay.

Comparing RE1 versus MGS2 is a good example. Those two games share far more in common gameplay wise than RE1 and RE7. They are both action games, fixed camera, tank controls, etc. If we only defined games by their gameplay, then either MGS2 is horror or RE1 is tactical espionage. Clearly, that doesn't work.

tl;dr horror isn't a gameplay or mechanic genre

Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

seiferguy posted:

I have 5 games in my queue sitting on my table that I need to prioritize:

- Dark Souls 3
- Uncharted 4
- World of Final Fantasy
- MGS5: TPP
- Ratchet & Clank

Any idea? I'm going through TLG right now, and need to figure out which to start first.

I would definitely say MGSV or Uncharted 4. Uncharted 4 if you want a linear and relatively short story, MGSV if you want to immerse yourself for a while.

Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

VoLaTiLe posted:

finish witcher 3
People don't "finish" witcher 3

Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

Get women out of my WW2 shootmans, they are the reason for TRUMP :arghfist:

Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

Trying to decide between:

Persona 5
Nier
Watch Dogs 2
Final Fantasy XV

They are all super cheap right now and I actually liked the first watch dogs. I liked Persona 4 but never beat it. Only played a bit of Final Fantasy X and XIV. Nier looks intriguiging but I am not sure about playing through the campaign twice. Is it as grindy as it sounds?

Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

I ended up picking up Watch Dogs 2 and Persona 5. Thanks for the suggestions. Watch Dogs 2's demo is fun and I like the story. Being from California, the location is neat.

My girlfriend wants to play Persona 5. I felt like two JRPGs would have been overkill. I'll definitely pick up Nier and FFVX when Square has their yearly sale.

Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

Samurai Sanders posted:

In some games you can set the message text speed to instant, I don't remember if P5 is one of them.

Persona 5 definitely has it. I turned it on after the first cutscene. I also like how if you miss anything you can go back into the log to review.

My only issue with starting P5 is now feeling like I need to beat P4

Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

Oneiros posted:

The Last of Us.

Yep and I got a lot of mileage out of the uncharted remaster as well.

Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

I really liked Persona 5 but after 15 hours all I could think of was how I wanted to beat Persona 4: Golden.

Playing P4:G on the Vita during the Holidays was great. I'm about 60 hours in now and over the halfway point. I plan to take a break and jump into Persona 5 in March :)

Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

Automata was down to I think $35 or $40 on PSN.

I plan to buy it mid-year. This year feels like a catch-up year after all the great games from last year.

Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

Pablo Gigante posted:

If you play Dark Souls first and then Bloodborne, BB will seem really hard. If you play BB first and then DS, DS will seem really easy

I'm not sure if this is meant to be generic darksouls because DS3 is way harder than BB in my opinion. I beat BB but I can't get anywhere in DS3. It might be I just don't like DS3 tho so I don't have the will to push through.

Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

Montalvo posted:

It's cool to see everyone talking up how good God of War is! I think I'm still going to wait until it goes on sale. I know people here felt similarly about HZD which I enjoyed but did not share the same sense of awe about (I'm not saying HZD isn't as good as goons think it is; the problem lies with me), so I worry I'll feel the same way about GoW.

HZD is good but GoW is a legit masterpiece.

Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

The game director said souls had an influence but so did many other games. He said Nioh was a major influence on the combat.

If you’ve finished the game, I recommend watching the spoiler cast on kinda funny. They go in depth on a lot of topics.

Aside, I played the Detroit demo with some friends and it was a blast. We must have replayed it 6 or 7 times to get more of the endings. I haven’t played any of the similar games, so I’m looking forward to playing with friends.

Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

CharlestheHammer posted:

But inspired usually means there are some similarities.

CharlestheHammer posted:

It...it doesnt play anything like Niohs unique functions.

The stance change in GoW seems to be directly lifted and streamlined from Nioh.

There are also plenty of similarities. At a high level, GoW evolves the old style GoW via a close in camera, loot system, refined/personalized combat system just how Nioh evolved the ninja garden formula.

Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

What I’m saying is, if you liked GoW try Nioh.

Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

CharlestheHammer posted:

Stance changes? I don’t remember any stance changes.

Though I don’t remember range combat in Nioh.

Once you get to level 3 in combat you unlock a new move set in GoW after your first attack. You basically press R1, wait till kratos moves his foot back, and your unlock a quick attack move set.

Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

exquisite tea posted:

If I wanted to see that many boring trolls throwing out the same predictable attacks I'd just visit the PS4 thread.

:golfclap:

Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

I found trolls great. You just need to ride them out.

Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

I don't think Sony will release a PS5 until at least holiday 2020 and more than likely I'd guess summer 2021.

They outsold the switch last year, they have a ton of games in the PS4 pipeline, the PRO still has a lot of life, and Microsoft just released a new console which isn't impacting the PlayStation business.

Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

The good thing about Xbox being around, even if it is just a win 10 machine, is that Sony will be encouraged to support it.

Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

I really like bloodborne but never got past the first area in dark souls 3.

I’d consider giving bb a try if it is on sale. The combat is more interesting than DS imo.

Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

The Order 1886 might not be a good game but it is still cool as hell fight me.

Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

nopantsjack posted:

damnit literally the same day i give in and order a ps4 pro they announce the lifecycle is ending

wondering if i should return it...

They didn’t announce that. They basically used corporate speak to say sales have hit a plateau. There are like 5 major exclusives coming out in the next 6 months or so alone.

Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

Renoistic posted:

Cool, thanks.

Edit: Thanks for the answers. I'm giving the game another shot. There have been plenty of games that took me a long time to warm up to that I ended up enjoying. Most notably tLoU which I first found to be a drag, until I left Bill's town. Now I've beaten it four times and it's in my top five. I bounced off Bloodborne hard in the first area and didn't play it for over a year.somehow it just clicked and I beat it and the DLC.

I guess that's a topic of conversation. Have you ever had a really hard time getting into a game until something just clicked?

Witcher 3, Uncharted 4 andPersona 4 Golden are two of my favorite games and took multiple years and playthroughs.

Witcher 3 is lost interest before the baron. I’ve now beat it twice.

Persona 4 G i played and lost saves twice. I’ve been in the epilogue for months but it is still one of my favorite games.

Uncharted 4 I redboxed and wasn’t able to beat. I’ve borrowed the disc for months from a friend but just beat it recently on a new playthrough. So good.

I tend to do that with a lot of games actually. Watch Dogs 2 is in that zone right now.

If i

Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

I think Sony knows their market and they are heavily invested in producing traditional video games.

I don't think VR is going away, and they might even offer a VR bundle with PS5, but I highly doubt it will be mandatory. PSVR is for early adopters/tech enthusiasts, but it hasn't dripped down to more mainstream because mobile VR is too niche.

Apple kind of ruined the VR market by not offering any support. It is a huge segment of potential users who are being ignored because face emojis.

Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

Vikar Jerome posted:

i should get automata before i get spoiled, so many games to catch up on!

about done with uncharted 1, i caved in and got the remaster and im glad i did, aiming is so much better holy poo poo. also was not expecting demon monster things and nazi bases, they came outta left field but i guess the hints where there now i think about it :stare:

dunno if i should move on to 2 and 3 after this or go yakuza 0/bloodborne. good god my free time.

I’d say play 2, take a break, and then play 3 and 4.

Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

Is MonHunWor any good? Never looked into it since I was salty it didn’t come to switch but it looks kinda good? Never hear anyone speak about it, but I guess I’m an idiot and there is a huge thread somewhere.

It is a good game that launched at the perfect time. I basically played through the campaign with friends and thought it was worth it. There is a ton of endgame + loot grind I didn't really care to explore.

Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

My dumb E3 prediction is that Sony is releasing a new SOCOM came with a battle royale mode. What's yours?

Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

You're right. We'll see how Soul Calibur pans out.

If they add Ciri it is most definitely GOTY.

Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

Flower and Entwined are two games which are happy and fun.

Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

Alright here is my top 10 going off the top of my head. I'm sure I am missing some. Some of these games probably aren't that good, but are games I played the gently caress out of.

1. Metal Gear Solid (Series) - All these games could be in the top 10. I'll spare you my order.
2. Witcher 3 (PS4)
3. Halo: Combat Evolved (Xbox)
4. God of War (PS4)
5. The Lion King (Genesis)
6. SOCOM: US Navy Seals (PS2)
7. Half-Life 2 (PC)
8. Persona 4: Golden (Vita)
9. Uncharted (Series)
10. Titanfall 2 (PC)

Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Everyone who has seen the closed-door briefing on Cyberpunk has raved about it. I hope they release some of that gameplay footage soon

It sounds unlikely. The people who saw it behind closed doors also mentioned that visual fidelity was a bit of a downgrade from the trailer. While not a big deal at this stage in game development, they don't want to risk pissing people off. Gamers are crazy.

Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

Kilometers Davis posted:

Same!

I actually haven’t been this hyped for releases in a while and it’s not like we’ve had a shortage of good games in recent years. The next few years have the potential to be huge.

Remember when mobile games were definitely going to destroy consoles? lmao

The hot new thing which will destroy consoles is streaming.

Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

I was joking about streaming mostly. I think there will be a big push and mobile games will be streamed and might improve a bit. However, I’m skeptical that streaming will replace the console market.

Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

a7m2 posted:

I'm looking for an "immersive" game. Maybe an RPG or something, but another genre is fine too. Any suggestions? If it's on sale even better. (I already have the thread regulars P5, Yakuza 0, H:ZD, Bloodborne, etc).

I think if you are looking for a shorter experience infamous second son is really good.

Also if it is 5 bucks the order 1886 is worth a shot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

beep by grandpa posted:

I'm this threads only resident JC3 fanboy and yeah the game just feels so drat good. I had a blast getting the platinum trophy too.

JC3 got hit hard in the reviews for performance issues (if only Avalanche got the Bethesda pass smdh) but I'm really happy it sold well enough for us to get JC4 this December!! Gonna rule.

I really liked JC3 but I couldn't get past the performance issues myself, especially since I have a pro. I might try to play it on PC....