Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LifeGetsWorser
Oct 23, 2010

Me "IRL" :smug:
Fun Shoe
This is all GodFish’s fault.

Welcome to Oak Shore, New York. Situated on the banks of Skaneateles Lake, and about a forty-five minute’s drive from Syracuse, Oak Shore is a “city” of nearly 10,000 people - really a large township that can only claim to be a city thanks to the local college (Oak Shore Community College, that is - people from SU rarely get out this way) that keeps the coffers of the rather miniscule main street and tributary streets full.

But the story’s not about the college, not really.

It’s about OSCS. Oak Shore Central School - the High school (Go Eagles!), and the people inside it. Well, some of them.

That means you. Well, some of you anyway. You’re just about to begin your senior year here, and last summer was...well it was interesting. But that’s probably because of Annie Harris.

Annie was Miss Popular throughout all of Middle and High school. A cheerleader, straight As, all the boys (and more than a few girls) fawning over her and trying to be like her, or with her. Maybe you were even one of her sycophants. Or maybe you’re not really part of the in crowd. Regardless of what your social standing was before last summer - Annie’s Party brought you into her presence, at least that once.

You see, her parents are lawyers, or doctors or...something. But they were out of town the first week of August. Which meant what it always means in a place like Oak Shore - a house party! Now, maybe you’re the sort that generally gets invites to parties like that. Or maybe you’re not. But whatever the case, this time Annie made sure you all got invited. It was a pretty good party, as far as parties go. A few older kids from OSCC even showed up, which meant there was even some booze and probably some weed there, if you knew who to ask.

But then, towards the end of the night, as most of the kids had either descended into drunken dancing, drunken make outs, or drunken bonfiring, Annie invited all of you into the woods behind her house - and she showed you magic.

You see, Annie was a Witch. And whatever the reason, she had chosen to show you all what she was. She made you all promise to keep it a secret, of course. But maybe, just maybe, you all left that party thinking things were bigger, and more exciting, than you had originally perceived.

Of course, the next day, Annie went missing. And three days later she was dead, her body found wrapped in a shower curtain on the shore of the Skaneateles by a couple of fishermen at dawn. Her parents flew home. It was a big media circus. There was a candlelight vigil and the police swearing to not rest until they brought the killer to justice.

But the school year is starting soon, and so far, no one’s been brought to justice. And you can’t help but think you might know why: someone else at that party probably killed her. Maybe someone LIKE her - you know, another Witch. Or a...a vampire or something. Crazy right? Well no, not really. You see, because...you’re a monster, too.

And you think that maybe...something's after you, too. Because a week ago, you all received a text message that simply read: "I know what you are" from an unidentified number.

------------------
Yes it’s me, awful gamemaster LifeGetsWorser, back for another game of awful teenaged monster angst. Awful.

The Game:
This is a game of Monsterhearts, which means it’s PbtA (Powered by the Apocalypse) - and it’s a game about teenaged angst and heartbreak and romance and horrific inhuman monstrosity. If, for some reason, you’ve never been through this before, you pick a skin - which defines what sort of awkward teenaged monster you are, and along with the other players, go through scenes of awkward teenaged monstrosity. It’s fun! It can get kind of steamy! It’s really simple to learn!

If you’re going to submit, the submission should be a background about your character - who they are, how they ended up being an awkward teenaged monster, etc. Probably a picture helps. People sometimes like theme music, too. That’s cool. Generally people write Monsterhearts in first person because the game master (that’s me) will end up writing in second person but if third person’s your thing then I’m not stopping you, man. Oh yeah, and a character sheet. That’s important, too.

In addition to the standard stuff you need to make a character, I’m going to ask for a couple of other things because I’m needy.

Oak Shore is a crappy little town but there’s some stuff going on. What’s a place that is interesting or mysterious or creepy around here? What do you know about it?
Who’s another figure at the school that’s interesting? This could be a member of the faculty or staff, or it could be another student too. What’s so interesting about them?
What were your impressions of Annie? Good or bad, I want the truth about how you felt about her - before her big reveal, that is.
This is purely optional but I am frequently awful with Thread Titles, so if you’ve got a good idea, lay it on me.

I am looking for no more than 6 players. This is a hard limit because I’ve gone over it before and it becomes too much for me to manage. I am thinking probably like...a week and a half for submission time? I’ll evaluate if we should have more time after a week, let’s say. So, for now, submissions in by January 15th will be looked at. I can’t guarantee anything else.

Sometimes I’m in the irc channel #swampthings, when I’m not working at least. My hours are weird - probably you’ll see me around midnight EST on the weekdays.

Oh yeah, here’s a list of all the skins. I’m insane, so I’ll technically allow anything, though a lot of the third party skins are kind of...bad. So those I will scrutinize closely. Goons did fix Shadow and Anansi so those are probably ok if you use the fixes.

The big boilerplate: Monsterhearts deals with a lot of edgy stuff by the nature of the game. So if things make you uncomfortable give me a head’s up.

LifeGetsWorser fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Jan 8, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Totally gonna have something up here soon.

e: Mortal incoming.

Lyra Canatella, the Mortal

Oh sorry! No it's totally my fault, I wasn't watching where I was going, I was kinda spacing out a bit you know? So that's all on me, one hundred percent. I didn't break anything, did I? Whew, ok great. Hmm, oh no I'm fine. Bye, hopefully next time we don't run into each other so literally hahaha.

The Canatella Chronicles posted:

I've met my soulmate. It's fate, it simply must be! We ran into each other, like something out of the classics, actually ran into each other! I was outside the back of the gym, trying to get the right eye for the colour of the sky for the new set when Fate herself intertwined our destinies! He actually looked at me! And talked to me! About something other than what I'm working on or what needs to get done! It just has to be true and pure love! There's no other explanation! GASP! Maybe it twas him that sent that message! Oh he must have been admiring me from afar for ever so long, seeing that spark of real and true love, the one that the plebeian masses seething around us every day cannot begin to try and comprehend!

Oh I wonder how long he has stewed in his desire, straining to slip free of the despicable bonds of his own damnable shyness to send that message! Oh cruel Fate, why must you torture your charges so! Are we not deserving of simple happiness?! Are we forever to be tied to your fickle whims, subject to whatever flights of fancy that might take roost inside your mind? Have you finally deigned to shine some small sliver of mercy upon these two fragile souls caught in the tides of your incomprehensible machinations? Or is this a case of an individual pitting their own unbreakable will against your uncaring gaze and struggling to force their will into being?

Is this the universe's way of returning balance to this poor, beleaguered hamlet after it so callously took perhaps it's only unique personage away? Oh poor Annie, taken from this wretched world, far too soon. Just after you had built up thine own élan, to reveal a dearly held secret of such enormity and gravitas. Oh if only it were possible for me to borrow some phantasmal sliver of such a wonderful person like you, maybe I could have spoken to him today, could have told him that I knew why he was there, that he need not hide any longer! We could have come together, rejoiced in finally finding ourselves complete and whole! NAY! Instead we must drift still, tantalizingly close but both crippled and left lame by our shyness! HAMSTRUNG BY OUR VERY BEINGS!

Oh capricious Fate, why art thou this way? Why?

quote:

Lyra Canatella
The Mortal
Look: Awkward, nervous eyes
Origin: Nobody

Hot 1
Cold -1
Volatile -1
Dark 2

Moves
True Love
You always have exactly one lover. The first is chosen during your backstory. If you ever fall in love with someone else instead, give them a String and they become your new lover. You always carry 1 forward to earning your lover’s heart or fancy.

Sympathy is my Weapon
Every time you forgive someone for hurting you, and excuse their base nature, take a String on them.

Down the Rabbit Hole
When you go poking your nose in affairs not meant for your kind, someone involved in the situation gains a String on you, and you mark experience.

Sex Move
When you have sex with someone, trigger their Darkest Self.

Darkest Self
Nobody understands you, or even wants to. They’d rather you disappear. Well, you’re not going to disappear. You’re going to make life a living hell for them. You’ll betray the wicked to the judges, the weak to the executioners. You’ll pit humans and supernaturals against one another, until everyone looks like monsters. Only seeing the pain that you’re causing your lover will let you escape your Darkest Self.

quote:

Oak Shore is a crappy little town but there’s some stuff going on. What’s a place that is interesting or mysterious or creepy around here? What do you know about it?
Mount Waldschmidt. It's not really a mountain of any sort, just a glorified hill really, but someone ages past bestowed its name upon it and it just stuck. Local legends, passed down through the ages, say that ensconced somewhere deep within its woods there lies a long abandoned mine, still full to the brim with gold! There's lots of different reasons for why it got abandoned, from ghosts, to some kinda curse, and even that they dug too deep and broke into hell itself! I went looking once or twice but I never found anything.

quote:

Who’s another figure at the school that’s interesting? This could be a member of the faculty or staff, or it could be another student too. What’s so interesting about them?
That bitch Lola Brito! She's our typical female lead and she is just the worst! She struts her way around, posturing and preening like she's god's gift to the stage and we should be grateful that she sees fit to deign to grace us with her acting talents. Except she's terrible! She only makes the most meager effort at portraying her character, merely playing herself with a thing veneer of her part laid on top! It's despicable! It's an utter mystery to me how she hasn't been driven out with torches and pitchforks! UGH! If only I knew where she sneaks off to when she's supposed to be in rehearsal, oh yes THEN that charlatan would finally get her comeuppance for her innumerable offenses against this most noble profession!

quote:

What were your impressions of Annie? Good or bad, I want the truth about how you felt about her - before her big reveal, that is.
Oh Annie, poor Annie. She was a true queen, beautiful, perfect, and untouchable. But at the same time she was magnanimous, approachable, and sincere. I'd spent ages upon ages trying to produce enough courage to ask her to join the drama society, she'd have been far better than that hack bitch Lola! But I just couldn't do it. I didn't even think that she knew I existed, like pretty much everyone else, until she so suddenly brought me into her confidence and showed me her secret. Oh Annie...

quote:

This is purely optional but I am frequently awful with Thread Titles, so if you’ve got a good idea, lay it on me.

ShootaBoy fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Jan 8, 2017

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage

Uh, hey. Wow. Where to start? I'm Aidan and I'm a unicorn. No, no, that just makes me sound crazy. I'm Aidan and your culture is literally killing me and everyone like me. Hm. Accurate, but not quite the right message. How about this? I'm Aidan and I could really use some help. Ugh. Maybe I should just keep it simple.

Hey, I'm Aidan.

Perfect. Sorry about that, I've been a bit jumpy recently. There was that whole thing with Annie and this phone call... Pretty creepy stuff, right? I should be used to it by now. It's not the first time I've gotten a death threat. Or, you know, had someone -- something, really -- actually try to kill me. But no. It never gets much better.

Oak Shore is quiet. Was quiet. Will be quiet again, hopefully. It's a sad place, but it's home. That counts for a lot. It's enough behind the times that I don't feel strangled by it all. There are spots where cell service cuts out, not a lot of places have Wi-Fi, and Amazon doesn't have reliable two-day delivery. When you don't have all that cruft, there's enough room for... Well, magic.

So, yeah, magic is real. It's everywhere. Was everywhere. Not so much any more. The more everyone connects and wires in and stops living in the moment? Well, that's when magic dies. And with it's death, these... things have been born. I don't know what they are. I don't know what drives them. I don't even know if they can think or feel. But I do know this. They want to kill me and those like me. It sucks. It sucks real bad.

What can I do? I know there's going to be no room for me here one day. As much as this is a backwards, dying town, somebody will come in and do something with it. Eventually. Might just end up as a parking lot in some sort of grotesque extension of Syracuse. But until then? I might as well make the most of it. I can help people see the beauty of what we have. What we've had. Help bring a little light back into the world.

quote:

There's this abandoned lumber mill outside of town. Hasn't run in the better part of a decade. You might think that it's the source of some bad ju-ju or something, but you'd be wrong. It was when it was running, sure, but now? It's been concentrating the magic that still lives in the forest. I can see it happen, but I don't pretend to understand the underlying concepts. I'm magic, but I don't do magic. I've been checking in on it every few weeks. Last time I stopped by I saw that a small tree had sprouted up right in the middle of the machinery. One of life's little miracles.

It's not going to stave off the end. Nothing can. But a spot of beauty in a dying world? There's nothing quite like it. It's one of the few places that still feels like it all used to. I just hope that whatever has been hunting me doesn't find it. We've lost so much that's good already.

quote:

There's a small group of us that meet after school and, god, what would you even call it? It'd be doing urban renewal projects if we were anywhere that was remotely urban, but well. Oak Shore. It's nothing big. We pick up trash some days, plant trees and flowers on others, and help spruce up the parks around town. Annie showed up from time to time. Not a regular by any stretch, but it was more than just once or twice. She was always busy with her cheerleading and partying and whatever else she was up to, but it was cool that she took a little time to give back.

Shannon Palmer is one of the true regulars. She's been right there with me since the beginning. Over the last few weeks, though, she's been getting... I don't know. Weird. Angry. She feels wrong. It's hard to describe. It's like something is staining her soul. Breaking her down.

quote:

Like I said, I really appreciated the work she did with us. She always did feel a bit special. Bright. Sunny. Pleasant to be around. We weren't in the same circles. She was popular. I am, fair or not, considered to be somewhat of a downer to be around. I'm sorry that the imminent death and decay of all that I love is ruining your day. Truly, I am. The magic itself was somewhat surprising. I had halfway suspected that she was in tune for quite a while, but to actually see it with my own eyes? It was something I hadn't expected to see again. Those with the gift were rare and have only become more so.

For all that, she did make a lot of choices I don't agree with. Why would she participate in so many activities that hasten the end if she can see what was happening? She drove every day. She wore designer clothes. Regrettable. Even so, I never would have wished her harm. I don't particularly wish harm on anyone. I just wish that they didn't do things that hurt me. That hurt us all.

The Unicorn posted:

Name: Aidan Collins
Look: Mohawk, Stoic Eyes
Origin: Magic Is Dying

People Should Never: Lie, Be Selfish, Hurt The Environment, Support Sweatshops, Drive A Car, Harm Something Beautiful.

Stats:
Hot +2
Cold -1
Volatile +1
Dark -1
Integrity =0

Moves:
With Integrity
You judge your own actions harshly, holding yourself to a high moral standard. You have a fifth stat to reflect this, which starts at zero and can climb to 3. Gain a point of Integrity when
  • you take the moral high ground about an issue that matters,
  • you follow through on something important that you say you'll do.
You can gain up to 1 Integrity per scene. When a move calls for you to roll with integrity, erase 1 Integrity after you roll.

A Good Person
Spend an Integrity to offer someone an experience point to do what you say. If they undertake to do that thing, and you directed them towards making a third party happier at no one's expense, mark experience.

Hunted
There are things that hunt you, things you often catch out of the corner of your eye. When one of them comes out into the open, choose:
  • stand up to it and award yourself a point of Integrity,
  • call out for help and anyone who comes to your rescue marks experience,
  • look directly at it and ask the MC a question about your hunters.
Backgrounds:
  • Someone is thinking about taking something from you - discuss with them and decide what it is. You each get a String on one another.
  • Someone's in love with you and has told you about their feelings. Gain 2 Strings on them.

Tricky fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Jan 13, 2017

Tardzilla
Aug 31, 2006

Angie Foster the Infernal

I hate this place.

I hate this town, I hate the school, I hate the food, I hate the weather, I hate the people, I hate their fake smiles, and I hate you.

Don't act like you don't know why, you liar. "Everything will be fine!" "Things will get better!" gently caress you. Nothing will EVER get better! Everything is NOT fine! It'll never BE fine! Not since... not since... Annie died...

...Annie was the only decent person in this shithole of a town. The rest of you looked at me like I was an unwanted problem. You all look at me with pity or disdain, or both, like I'm some sort of rabid animal. When an adult insults me, and I insult them back, I'm the one who should watch her loving tongue. When I fight back against the bullies, I'm the one who gets suspended, not the ones who started poo poo. It's always me. I'm the "problem child." I'm the one who's always in trouble, and it's only because I refuse to be shackled by lies like the rest of you. I'm a hosed up, broken kid, from a hosed up, broken home, and I don't try to hide it. I'm honest about who I am. I'm not a faker like you. I don't hide behind lies and false words.

Annie... was the only one who knew that. She was the only who understood me. She never judged me. She never tried to "help" me, or "fix" me. She just... listened to me. She even told me she... admired me, said my attitude was... "refreshing." Annie was such a sweet, and genuine person, with the warmest, most beautiful smile... and you loving TOOK HER AWAY FROM ME!

YOU! This is all YOUR loving fault! This is the WHOLE TOWN'S fault! You ALL killed her! You're ALL RESPONSIBLE for what happened to her! She was too good for this shitfuck town, and you all KNEW it! That's why you all had to go AND CHOKE THE loving LIFE OUT OF HER! Are you HAPPY!? Are you SATISFIED with what you've all done!? YOU TOOK MY ONLY FRIEND! MY... only... friend...

...I was so lost without Annie. I didn't know what to do anymore. And when I was in my darkest moment, when I was... unsure if life had any meaning anymore... She came to me.

Her voice came, like whispers in the shadows. She said I didn't have to suffer anymore. She told me she can free me from all the pain, suffering, and lies. She would protect me, and grant me my heart's desires... as long as I agreed to do Her tasks without question, like a good child. So, without a second thought, I took Her hand, and agreed to Her bargain, and that's when I felt... a warmth envelope me. The same warmth I felt around Annie, and there was something about it that felt... right.

Who is She? gently caress off! A lying shitworm like you doesn't deserve to be in Her presence. You should just- Huh? ...What? Are you sure? But he's- Hm. Okay. If you say so.

You should consider yourself lucky, She said she will show herself to you. All you have to do... is give me your hand. What are you waiting for? Come on. Give... me... your... loving HAND!

Good.

Her name? Haha, gently caress you. You don't deserve to know Her True Name, but you can call her...

Mother.

Do you want to know what Mother hates? Liars. Bad, misbehaving little children who hide behind a wall of lies and false truths. Mother granted me this gift because I am honest about myself, unlike you. But, lucky for you, Mother is also merciful. She can save you, like she saved me. Mother can free you from your bonds, she can give you the Warmth you've always desired, and all you have to do... is give yourself to Her.

Now, come.

Give your Mother a hug.

quote:

Name: Angie Foster
Skin: The Infernal
Look: vicious, piercing eyes
Origin: chosen

Stats
Hot: -1
Cold: -1
Volatile: +2
Dark: +1

Moves

 Soul Debt
Name a dark power that you owe a debt to. Choose two Bargains that it has made with you. It can hold Strings against you. Whenever it collects 5 Strings against you, trigger your Darkest Self.

Mother.

 Dark Recruiter
When you bring an innocent soul to the dark power, mark experience.

Bargains

 The Power Flows Through You
You can give the dark power a String in order to add 2 to your next roll (choose before rolling).

 Uncanny Voices
You can give the dark power a String in order to realize a secret about someone you’re talking to. The owner of that character will reveal one of their secret fears, secret desires, or secret strengths (they choose.)

Sex Move
When you have sex, the dark power loses a String on you and gains a String on whoever you had sex with.

Darkest Self
You can’t get what you need, anymore. The world has left you cold and alone, shivering in the wake of your own addictions. The dark power will make some open-ended demands of you, and it’ll promise you some lucrative (and perhaps volatile) things in return. Every demand you fulfill brings you a little closer to feeling whole again, to rekindling the fire in your heart. Whenever you fulfill those demands, remove a String it holds on you. You escape your Darkest Self when the dark power has no more Strings on you, or when you agree to an even worse bargain with an even more dangerous dark power.

quote:

The old abandoned fair. It used to be the town's pride and joy... until the incident. You've heard of what happened, right? There was a terrible accident, and 25 people died that day. Thing is? Nobody knows how they died. Whatever happened, it was so horrific that everybody in the town repressed it from their memories.

They shut down the fair soon afterwords. Nobody wants anything to do with the fair anymore. The people of the town think the whole area is cursed, and it's better to just pretend that it never existed.

It never stopped me from going there. Do I care if it's cursed? Not really. I don't care about the stories, or what happened. All I care about it is that nobody else is there. I go there to be away from all the loving filth that surround me. It's peaceful, quiet. There's no yelling, no fights, nobody to call you worthless. It's my own special little place, and no, I'm not sharing it with you.

quote:

Ugh. I have to talk about her? The biggest faker of them all? Fine.

Her name is Carey Emerson, and she is the worst loving person in the world. Before Annie died, Carey would copy everything Annie did. She'd wear the same clothes, style her hair the same way, join the same clubs, eat at the same restaurants, and she would even go as far as to gently caress the same people. It was loving creepy.

And after Annie died... she got even worse. Now? Now she's claiming that Annie's soul lives on inside of her, and she has the loving gal to ask people to call her Annie. The worst part? There are people who actually believe her! Some have actually bought into her Lies, and I don't even loving know how!

It's a loving TRAVESTY! An insult to Annie's memory! You can NEVER be a QUARTER of the person she was, you loving PARASITE!

quote:

Annie... was my best friend, and nothing will ever change that. She was the closest thing I had to family around here, because my "regular" family sure as gently caress don't count. You've probably guessed that I'm not the most popular girl in school, but she always took the time to hang out with me, and I... appreciated it. Before Mother, the only time I smiled, really smiled, was around her. Annie was like the one, bright, shining diamond, in a sea of poo poo.

What happened to Annie... was a shame. I think, if she was still alive, she would love to have met Mother. They would've gotten along so well.

Tardzilla fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Jan 14, 2017

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

Jaya Talwar, the Chosen

Oak Shore. It's kind of a weird town you know? And not in a "we have some odd, quirky things going on" but "there are actual supernatural phenomena that occur." It's something I found out a few years ago but not everyone else has figured out. And when you have the knowledge that terrible things are going on and no one can see it...don't you have an obligation to do something about it? Even if it puts you in danger? Even if it's something you have to do secretly, because most of what you have to do is illegal?

For me the answer is yes. So I go around town with a bat and I make sure the creepy crawlies or whatever's lurking about don't get to just to prey on the average unsuspecting person in this small town. And it looks like I'm doing a decent enough job. At least, I thought so until just recently.

I knew there was something a little weird about Annie. I think she knew there was something weird about me too. She'd make comments about me being out late or not being available to help with the work we got assigned in class. It's kind of hard to fit that in with finding and killing a demon who's been brought to this world by some idiots reading poo poo out of a book they found. Anyway despite her teasing, she never really gave me a genuine hard time about it. I think she knew it was important.

And then she was murdered. Right after she showed me and some other people her power. I still remember the look in her eyes as she showed me her power. That smile. I was a little too surprised and...well maybe a little too drunk to think about approaching her. Maybe I could have her help me out, was my thought later. But she vanished. And then her body showed up.

Was it because of her connection to me? We didn't have a big one, but it was there. I've done what I could to help this town, but maybe the fallout of that is about to hit me hard, and this is just the beginning. I don't know.

But...I don't think I care what happens to me. So long as I can fight, I'll do so. Until the day I die. And right now, I suppose the biggest lead I have is whoever wrote this note to me. Time to meet up with them. I'll do whatever it takes to get the truth about what's going on in Oak Shore.

quote:

Look: Strong, radiant eyes

Origin: Doing what's necessary

Stats

Hot 1, Cold 0, Volatile 1, Dark -1

Moves:

Take the Blow

When you leap into the way and take the blow instead of someone else, roll with Volatile. On a 10 up, you take the harm instead of them, but reduce it by 1. • On a 7-9, you take the harm instead of them.

Light the Way

Whenever your friends follow through on your commands or your lead, they add 1 to their roll. (If your friends are NPCs, they instead act at an Advantage.)

Sex Move

When you have sex, heal all of your wounds, and cure all of your Conditions. If they disgust you, give them a String. If you disgust yourself, give them a String.

Darkest Self

None of your friends can help. They’re not strong like you are. You need to chase down the biggest threat imaginable, immediately and alone. Any challenges or dangers that you encounter must be faced head on, even if they might kill you. You escape your Darkest Self when someone comes to your rescue or you wake up in the hospital, whichever comes first.

Your Backstory

You have two friends who you can rely on for monster-slaying support. Take a String on each.

There’s someone who knows that you’re the Chosen one, and wants you dead. The MC gives them a name and two Strings on you.

quote:

The Jumpstart Cafe is good to visit for when I need a pick me up. Usually when I'm working on trying to figure out what's going on in the town this time. Thing is, the owner is pretty nice to me. Which I'd just write off as a benefit of visiting, but one time I was running from the police and he let me in. The police hadn't seen me, but normally the cafe would have been closed at night, I was out way too late for a student, and he's never brought it up. Even though you'd think in this small town he would have heard about the police engaging in a foot chase with someone they couldn't identify. Can't help but wonder if he knows more then he's letting on, and what his intentions are. Maybe it's nothing malevolent and he's just a cool guy. But...can't be too sure about that. I wish I could.

quote:

Henry Banner, one of Annie's...friends? I think. I never saw him much when I was around her. The day after the discovery of her murder became public knowledge he sat behind me in class. I didn't pay attention until he leaned forward and asked if I was doing all right. I told him I was fine. But now he keeps popping up and asking how I'm doing. Not in a menacing, stalking way. Just every now and then shows up, asks about me, nods, and then leaves. I don't think he knew anything about our...relationship? Relationship I guess. Anyway, he only started doing this after her murder so I began following him around. And he's asking other people how they are. I honestly don't know what to make of it. Is this his way of reacting to what's happened? And if it's something supernatural, then what's the purpose and is it even something harmful? I have to admit, I currently have looking into him as a low priority. Very low.

quote:

We were...well, classmates. Friends. Like I said, we knew each other somewhat. And...we did hook up a few times. It's kind of hard to say what our relationship was. If it was a Facebook status, I guess it'd be "It's complicated."

Heliotrope fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Jan 8, 2017

Double May Care
Mar 28, 2012

We need Dragon-type Pokemon to help us prepare our food before we cook it. We're not sure why!

If you look at a mirror in the dark and say interest post three times, I will appear.

With a Selkie.

Double May Care fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Jan 8, 2017

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
Definite interest post.

Since this is my fault.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Oh man time to app another lunatic to a worser game

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

Daisy Phillips the Ghost

I know what you want me to say. What they're all saying that it's a tragedy, a young life cut short with so much promise. The sheriffs office are going to "do whatever it takes" to find who's responsible. Some of the students who knew her well are holding another candlelit vigil. Everyone misses her. Everyone mourns her. Her funeral will be the most well attended event in years. I hate her for it.

See she's not the only person to ever die in this town. Although you might think she was given the way they are all fawning over her still warm corpse. Some of us died and were forgotten. Some of us were never mourned at all. At least I don't think I was, my memory gets a little fuzzy over some things. But when you've been dead as long as I have well it's kind of to be expected.

What you didn't know? You must have known. I remember a face a name. Jackie, she was another pretty girl, popular, cheerleader yada yada yada. I wanted to be like her. But I never quite fitted in I was the quiet girl much happier with a book than a party. Imagine my delight one day when she invited me on a camping trip with some of her cronies. I was on top of the world. Ready to come out of the shadows and into the light. And then it happened Someone, I'm not sure who exactly. grabbed me they dragged me over to fire and the knives came out. I remember them shining in the firelight. I remember the pain as they cut into my flesh. I remember the words "We're building a better world, thank you for helping." And then mercifully I found oblivion.

It didn't take. I remember waking up in the middle of town. It was Oak Shore but it wasn't my Oak Shore. Everything was just a little different. I ran for home, but my family wasn't there. Someone else was living in MY HOUSE. TAKING MY FAMILIES THINGS. TAKING EVERYTHING AWAY FROM ME!

Ok, deep breaths Daisy. My family wasn't there. I remember searching frantically for some clue about what had happened to them. It wasn't till years later that I found it. An old copy of the Oak Shore Observer shoved on the back shelf of the town library. And there it was. An old photograph of me, faded tarnished, yellowed. "Local Girl Goes Missing." Page 17. That was all my life amounted to. I died and no one cared.

I don't know how long I held that despair. But when I looked Oak Shore had changed again. I barely recognise the town I grew up in. The TV's are huge, and everyone has a phone they can carry in their hand. I went back to my old school. I'm not sure why. I guess it must be habit. Or maybe I was searching for something, some meaning as to why I was stuck like this. I tried to blend in, to be like the others but it seems I'm no better at that now than I was when I was alive. Sometimes they notice me, sometimes they care about me. That's worth something right?

quote:

There's Ollie's Bookshop It was there when I was a little girl and it's still there now. There's this weirdly persistent story that Ollie will occasionally sell really odd books. As in books that were never written anywhere else. Histories of Wars that were never fought. Biographies of supposedly famous people no one has ever heard of. When you ask him where he gets his stock from he just shrugs his shoulders and says you don't want to know.

quote:

Henry the Janitor I didn't recognise him at first. But I'm 95% sure that it's the same guy who was the Janitor when I was alive. Is he like immortal or a vampire or something? I'd call it crazy but hey I'm a ghost who watched a witch demonstrate magic. Still if I could have lived forever I wouldn't spend my life as a janitor. Something weird is going on there.

quote:

I liked her. I shouldn't have I know. She was everything I wanted to hate. Everything that reminded me of what I lost. My dreams my hopes, my ambitions. But when she talked to you when she looked you in the eye. You felt like the most important person in her world. I wonder now if it was magic or just something she did naturally? I don't know what her interest was in me. Maybe she knew what I was. Maybe she wanted to know what happened to me. But I could tell it was there.

I was wary of course when I got an invite to the party. I just kind of floated around the edges a bit. I remember her taking us to one side in the woods. And showing us her magic. I remember the words she said to me, "I can help you move on." and then they killed her.

And now I hate her. Because she gave me hope and then snatched it away. Because in dying she became better than me. There's no ghost of Annie is there? I hope not....

quote:

MH: Get your hands off my Twin Peaks.

quote:

Name: Daisy Phillips
Look: Brooding, Unnerving eyes
Skin: Ghost
Origin: Murdered in Cold Blood
Stats:

Hot: 0
Cold: 1
Volatile: -1
Dark: 1

Darkest Self:

You become invisible. No one can see you, feel you, or hear
your voice. You can still affect inanimate objects, but this
is your only avenue of communication. You escape your
Darkest Self when someone acknowledges your presence,
and demonstrates how much they want you around.

Sex Move:
When you have sex with someone, you both get to ask a
question of one another’s characters. This can be spoken
by your character, or simply asked player-to-player. The
other person must answer honestly and directly.

Moves:

Unresolved Trauma

Whenever you project the blame and trauma of your
death onto your current situation, roll with dark. On a
10 up, give two people the blamed condition. On a 7-9,
give up to two people the blamed condition, but for each,
choose one:
  • You gain the delusional condition,
  • You can’t speak during this scene,
  • You suffer one harm,
  • You start re-enacting the scene of your death.

Creep

When you secretly witness someone in their most
intimate moments, perhaps showering or sleeping, gain
a String on them.

Advancements:

Your Backstory

Someone knows that you’re dead, and how you died. They
gain a String on you.

You’ve been inside someone’s bedroom while they were
sleeping. Take a String on them.

Ferrosol fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Jan 9, 2017

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Either gonna be a Neighbor or an Angel, deciding on whether I want to go mundane nerd or monster nerd.

Double May Care
Mar 28, 2012

We need Dragon-type Pokemon to help us prepare our food before we cook it. We're not sure why!

Shanie LaTeaks, the Selkie

I'm not a monster. I know what people have been saying about... me, and it's just not true.
I don't lure men, I don't drown animals, and I certainly don't capsize boats!

The rumors have been swirling since before I came here, that there's a monster in Skaneateles Lake that likes to cause all sorts of mischief, and one person swears there was a giant whale-like creature swimming under his boat when it was wrecked. But "Skanie" is just a myth, like Loch Ness, the Jersey Devils, or the One Direction.

I'm sure if Skanie existed, she would be sorry about the time her dad lured a fishing boat into a rock formation because he smelled foreign lake scum on its keel. After what happened in 2007, I'm sure her dad was just being protective of the fish who were dying like crazy. And when the two corpses were found at the bottom of the lake, I'm sure Skanie was just thankful people could see them at all, since humans have been slowly killing all of her vegetation! You know how fun it is to feel seaweed against your skin? I don't, because it's all gone! But hey, your grass is green, right? So who cares if your fertilizer is suffocating me worse than my dad?

Okay, look. When your dad has a reputation for killing fishermen, you'd want to leave too.

So, my dad is the Skaneateles Lake Monster. And so am I, kind of. I don't like to do all the monster-ing. Mostly I eat fish and keep to myself, but Dad just loves to throw his weight around. He wants to prove a point to the humans, that this lake is dying and we need all the help we can. But he doesn't see things the way I do. I can make people change, because I can be a person... mostly. It's hard enough learning your backwards language, but really inspiring change takes a speaker much stronger than me. It would have to be someone like...

Annie Harris.
She was the biggest fish in the lake, if you'll mind the expression. I wanted to get close to her, I wanted to put my words in her mouth, and if all else failed I wanted to be her. A real human being, and a real hero. The way she strung around men, the way she cared for animals, the way she rocked the proverbial boat of the school... It was beyond me. I modeled myself after her, literally. I was at her beckoned call. I was reading books to learn more idioms to describe our relationship. But she didn't really notice me--I don't think she did, at least. She never talked to me, I think, unless humans have some sort of mind speak and I'm just horribly out of the loop.

And to make matters worse, Dad got mad. Last Spring, the snow melt was way worse than in previous years, as far as I could tell, and I think that was him. And that boy Trevor Loeb moved here and moved away a month later, and I think that was Dad. He, uh, didn't approve. He's probably listening to this conversation right now, ahmm-hmm-hmhmhmhm... You don't think I'm crazy, do you? I mean, my Dad really is Skaneateles Lake. I'm like a dinosaur, only living and not powering your loud awful trucks of poisonous waste! Here, I can show you. It's under my bed, right next to my...

Huh.
Where did I put it?

Oh well. That's not important right now. What is important is Annie. She invites me to the best party I've ever had, which is amazing in and of itself, and I got so drinked. And then Annie, she... Well, she disappeared.

Then, well, her body was found in the lake... My lake. Well, my dad's lake, so of course I had to ask him if he did that too. His response? "The waves are stirring."

And then the sink in my apartment started dripping. Every drop is a tear he sheds waiting for me to come home. At least, that's my interpretation. Is he mourning for Annie too?
Or is he mourning for me?

quote:

Name: The Skaneateles Lake Monster, Jr.
Skin: The Selkie
Look: Sleek, confused eyes
Origin: Breaking the rules about land-dwelling

0 Hot, 1 Cold, -1 Volatile, 1 Dark

Skin Moves
Outer Skin
When you wear your pelt you look like a small plesiosaur.
Without it, you can swim like a human, but with it you can breathe underwater and swim like the dickens, and, if you want to, return to The Deep Kingdom.
If you do return there, it’s for good, so make a new character.

Their Word
People can steal your pelt, but never destroy it.
When someone withholds your pelt and demands that you do something for them before they'll give it back, add 1 to rolls you make in pursuit of that task.
If they don’t return your pelt, take a String on them, and they'll give you another task.

Salt
Whenever your tears mix with water, roll with dark.
On a 10 up, choose someone you want to see. They show up, with or without reason.
On a 7-9 they still do, but they have the Condition drained and they bring trouble with them.

Sex Move
When you have sex with someone, it counts as submerging yourself in water. Since all oceans tell you their secrets, gain a String on someone else they've had sex with.

Darkest Self
People have mistreated you and made you an outcast here. It's time to show them how it feels to be lost at sea, to be apart from the things you have loved, to have parts of your identity stolen from you. So you will flood the Earth. You will destroy what they cherish. And you will take their pelts.
You escape your Darkest Self when this place reminds you of home, or when you recognize what you came here for.

Backstory
You’ve seen someone swimming, but they either didn’t see or didn’t recognize you.
Gain a String on them.

Someone stole your pelt, withholding it from you to make you their errand boy. They said they'll give it back.
Each gain a String on one another, and they say the first task they've given you.

quote:

The Wellingham Oak Shore Fish Hatchery is a pristine building allegedly used to keep fish population in check, when that's supposed to be Dad's job. Only thing is, there's another hatchery around the lake that's bigger and more efficient, so this building's mostly for tourists. It still functions, but you have to wonder if they're really making an impact. The owner, Francis Wellingham, inherited it from his brother and moved up here from Georgia.

Wasn't Georgia in our home room? Doesn't seem very far to move.

quote:

I'm living with one of the younger teachers, Geoff Pauling. I forgot that humans typically enjoy having homes, so when I came to class a little dirty, he asked me where I go after school. "Wherever" wasn't the right answer, and neither was "nowhere." So now he's taken me into his apartment. People give him weird looks when we walk into school together, but I'm really just using him for shelter. The words "using him" don't seem to go over well either.

quote:

I wanted to be her.
Everything about her screamed, "I am the apex. I am top of the food chain." It's hard, y'know? Going from the most feared creature in the lake to... a minnow in the social sea of humanity. (I promise I'll stop soon.) I was like a princess, and now I'm the pauper. I had to earn my voice in a world where Annie's echoes could be heard for miles.

But I could get close to her, and that felt like enough. She wanted to confide in me, which was an accomplishment in itself. And more importantly, I enjoyed the challenge of getting that far. I'm not a Monster, not like my dad. My hunting isn't for bloodshed, but for influence. And Annie fought to the top, as much as her manicured nails didn't show it. So will I. When it started, it was about home, but now... It's about me.

quote:

[MH] Oak Shore: That Game You Like Is Going to Come Back in Style

Double May Care fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Jan 11, 2017

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Are you in or are you out?

Science ahead of its time produces prodigies fractured in time. I am one of those, thanks to falling off of a spaceship onto a planet with two sterile parents in want of a child. Now my body that I chose to match their species' has to catch up to my mind, but the body is the mind, shackled to it like a cart behind a racehorse. My body forces me to be in one way on the same level as my so-called peers–who only ever move forward because nature and nurture provide a gentle slope to guide them.

Rather than advancing the planet by rushing through the education system, I'm being held back by my loving foster parents so I can mature physically at the same rate as my peers. Unlike them, I concern myself less with popular culture and the sheltered high school existence and instead focus on more stimulating extracurricular activities, which I need because I already read ahead and know this and next week's lesson and so on and so forth, and break all the curves. There's debate, for proving dominance and winning trophies for my parents to display; diversity club, to expose me to temporarily more interesting people and facilitate some measure of learning between the many intersections of people on this planet; pen-twirling/sleight of hand, as a distraction; listening to podcasts at x3.6 speed; and ~solving mysteries~ by which I mean being a vigilante. I got my start when I ran out of books, looked at the TV, and got into my father's case files instead. gently caress that rectangular time hole, dripping out "entertainment" at a glacial pace.

At first I would just drop hints and call in anonymous tips, then as I grew I did some more fun stuff such as pretending to be an agent of the press or dressing up like one of dad's colleagues who loves her sunglasses so I could tag along on more bring-your-daughter-to-work-days, breaking into crime scenes and other such infiltration, and planting evidence, all to make it easier on my boy in blue. Like I said, fun stuff. I had advantages besides the gene therapy, though. Dad's not just a detective, Mom's a well-connected criminal–they divorced, obviously, and divided up all their [waves hand in a circle] stuff.

So Babs got the pho restaurant, called Pho [eyeroll], that's a mob front and has some kind of prophet in the basement that only speaks through a veil, that's why they're never caught. Now, after what Annie showed us, I believe it's likely more than superstition. It's not just that law enforcement isn't always competent but is always held back by red tape, all the close calls make much more sense when you add the supernatural.

Rodge got Mel's Diner, which isn't full of criminals and is therefore always about to be put out of business by IHOP. He says it's only "by god's will" that place stays open and I don't doubt it anymore. Science can't explain the delicious pies and pastries and vitalizing coffee. They can always brighten the darkest day, even from dad's freezer, (next to the wedding cake). but they're not addictive or anything. Reasonably priced. My science teacher, Penny ("that's Mrs. Shedenhelm!"), tested for drugs and such, they're clean. I trust her because she "cooks Pho" (drugs) and I'm blackmailing her in a way. We blackmail each other, (she knows about my hobbies as well) but I'm winning. No one would believe her and my contacts would cover for me, not disavow me like hers.

Annie... Annie was mostly boring until she was murdered if I'm being honest. Her coming out as a witch completely resolved any je ne sais quoi that sleeping with her hadn't already. "But how'd she such and such?" I would ask. Before the answer to those was "me." Now, also, "magic." I helped her with homework and studying, and she got straight As no matter what a slacker she really was. Like a leech, or a mimic. Then I got a migraine that persisted whenever I told her I wasn't attracted to her or women in general, and then it left when I let my guard down. But it wasn't my body-mind. It was her magic.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not jealous nor vengeful–I even replicated the spell later that night after she confessed, which shows how banal the supernaturally really is, and she did help me learn some things, mostly about her–I just imagined in those days before she was found how screwed she'd be without her powers. When you are naturally beautiful, muscular, spoiled by your wealthy parents, possessed of magical powers, and you lean hard on those advantages to get by, then welp, one accident and where are you now, hm? Behind the curve. Caught out, vulnerable, then you're a victim. Then you're a mystery, and then you're interesting again, but that's just to me. As I was saying, though, as far as gifts go, it's better to hedge your bets and sharpen your mind. If I get concussed repeatedly or keep doing drugs? I'll just fit in better. Win-win. But my dying, as this text seems to threaten, I'd rather not. The chances of solving the murder go way down without me.

My Theme Song
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7i-02EH8oc

Annie's
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmRI3Ew4BvA

quote:

Eldritch
The universe is simply the sound and fury of a blind idiot. The infinite cosmos holds everything but a care for anything you have done. This is a simple truth to you. The ignorant creatures of this backwater world delude themselves with their sacred cows. Their cultures are farces. Held up upon illusionary pillars. It is an amusing playground or a tedious hell for you. Regardless you won’t let yourself get caught up in all their nonsense. You’ll play their game, but only by your own rules. The only thing you hold sacred is your irreverence.

Name: Sharon, "Chere" sn: thecontradictor, the

Look:
Unkempt, distracted eyes.

Origin
Explorer.

Stats
Hot +1 Cold +1 Volatile -1 Dark -1
bonus TBD probably cold

Eldritch Moves
Get this move and one more:
*Mad Man’s Insight - As long as you have no strings on someone they may spend a string on you to use one of your moves. As long as they have no strings on you, you may spend a string on someone to use one of their moves.

Homogeneity - Once per scene when you would spend a string on someone you may gain a condition they have instead.

*Iconoclast – When you cause someone to doubt long-held beliefs mark experience and gain a string on them.

Forbidden Knowledge - When you share a secret or spread a rumor about someone you have a string on, the first two people who believes you gains a string on that person. If you share the secret with an npc you must roll to Manipulate an NPC

Ignorance is Bliss – When you hold steady to ignore the atmosphere and power through an embarrassing situation add these options: On a 10+ you project your failings onto another remove a condition and give it to someone else, on a 7-9 replace a condition with Clueless.

Social apathy - When you Run Away from situations that don’t involve physical danger roll cold.

Brooding and Mysterious - When someone spends a string on you and you have no strings on them, roll Hot. On a 10+ gain a string on them. On a 7-9 carry 1 forward in social interactions with them for the rest of the scene.

Your Backstory
You're so far above these plebeians. Though there is one person who has impressed you with their intelligence, they gain two strings on you.
You’ve caused someone to doubt something they believe in, take a string on them.

Advancement
Take another Eldritch move
Take another Eldritch move
Take a move from another skin
Take a move from another skin
Choose an additional string effect for The Inscrutable [I don't know what this means] move doesn't exist anymore, replaced by "Join a crimefighting team."
Add 1 Hot (max 3)
Add 1 Cold (max 3)
Add 1 Volatile (max 3)
Add 1 Dark (max 3)

Sex Move
If you and your partner keep your liaison under wraps from your peers for a whole scene each of you carry one forward for the next scene. If you both blab then each of you give a string to the first person your partner told. If someone blabs and the other keeps quiet then the talker takes a string, gives a condition.

Darkest Self
You’re sick of their posturing and their displays. These grains of sand amongst the desert would make even Ozymandias balk. They should be made to see how insignificant they really are. You’ll reveal every embarrassing secret, every hidden betrayal, and any foul action from their past you know of in order to knock them all off their pedestals. Your darkest self ends when something you’ve hidden is dug up or you’ve completely destroyed someone’s reputation.

Short version/digest
Background: Sharon is an intellectual prodigy due to being a space alien who took the form of a child for the married couple who found her, and thinks her peers are uninteresting and match her maturity only physically. Her parents considered that a priority, so she's always bored in school, which she has "solved," and thus found a stimulating hobby in vigilantism. To help her with that, she takes advantage of her now-divorced parents and their professions: a detective father (Roger) and criminal mother (Barbara).

Places: Her father frequents a diner run by a "Melanie" with supernatural food, likely divine in nature. Her mother frequents a Vietnamese restaurant called Pho run by a crime syndicate with an unseen oracle guiding it from within.

People: Sharon also takes advantage of an associate named Penny Shedenhelm, a teacher of chemistry biology and physics at OSCS, who she knows synthesizes narcotics, but who knows about her vigilantism in turn.

Annie impressions: Annie seduced Sharon with the aid of the Ring of Lies hex, but Sharon held no grudge and, in fact, found Annie nearly boring before and completely boring after learning she was a witch since magic powers resolve any questions she had about her. Sharon was able to replicate one of Annie's hexes that she showed her at the party based on memory and mimicry, and isn't even that impressed by the concept of magic after adding it and the supernatural into her worldview. Now that Annie has been murdered, she interests Sharon again. She values her own gift–intelligence–above all and thinks her vigilantism is the best way to stop the killer.

Thread name:

Rather Watch Them posted:

[MH] Oak Shore: That Game You Like Is Going to Come Back in Style

slydingdoor fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Jan 14, 2017

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008

Oh wow my sheet is here~

Rauri fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Jan 14, 2017

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Hi there, I’m Nicole. Nicole Olson. Cute name for a cute girl, right? Well, if you saw my middle school yearbook photos you wouldn’t be saying that. I mean yeah, now I’m one of the most popular girls at OSCS despite being something as dorky as first chair violin in the school orchestra. But I...wasn’t really a looker as a little kid. I grew tall way before the others, I had bad teeth my parents couldn’t afford to fix, and my clothes weren’t much better when I kept outgrowing anything nice I had. I had a friend or two but most of the kids were either assholes or pretended I didn’t even exist. Middle school sucked and I thought my whole life was gonna suck...

...but then I met the Judge. After an embarrassing incident at school I’d decided to skip the next day. I couldn’t stay home since my mom would be there and she never believes my ‘I’m sick’ stories and I didn’t really have anywhere else to go. So I just ended up exploring the backwoods near my house. It wasn’t very exciting, just wandering around waiting for my watch to hit 3 PM so I could start walking home. Of course once it went off I’d realized how far lost in the woods I’d gotten. Around 5 o’clock when I was feeling my first hunger pangs I found a cave. That’s where I met him.

I knew I should be avoiding strangers but he seemed...harmless? Friendly? I couldn’t tell if he was old enough to be my big brother or old enough to be my grandpa. He was calm and frail, but still full of youth. He told me he lived in that cave because he was lost from home, just like me. It was really sad so I asked if there was anything I could do to help. Instead he just asked me if I hated liars and cheats too. I thought back to Lisa, one of my former friends who I’d found out last year was only hanging out with me so she could make fun of me to her real friends behind my back. I scowled and told him “Yes.” He gave me a weary smile and touched his hand to my head.

Suddenly I felt different, at least on the inside. I knew exactly which way to take to get back home and I knew that he helped do that for me. I thanked him profusely but he said if I really wanted to thank him, I should take care of the liars and cheats in the human world. I promised him I would as I began running home, waving him goodbye as I did.

I never saw him again. The day my mom finally ungrounded me for skipping school I went out to look for him in the woods. And then I looked the next day, and the next but no matter how much I tried I couldn’t find him or his cave. It’s been four years since and I’d like to see him just one more time. I know the magic he put in me is why I look as gorgeous as I do now and it’s why my popularity did a 180 once I got into high school and I’d really like to thank him.

But in the meantime the least I can do is fulfill my promise to him.

quote:

Oak Shore’s, well, a shore. There’s this one abandoned pier on the outskirts of town, but I know I’ve seen people up to things over there. At night sometimes I’ve seen pick-up trucks full of these huge wooden boxes drive down there but on the way back up the truckbeds are empty! But if they were shipping things onto boats the boats would be super noisy, right?

quote:

Principal Walters’ kid, Barry, I think? Yeah, Barry Walters. He’s kind of an oddball, he brags to all his other Computer Club friends about what a genius hacker he is but it’s not like there’s anything interesting worth hacking out here. I’m like, the one person outside that club that he tries talking to. I dunno if that’s Fae magic or if he’s just into me because I kinda look like his mom. Really hope it's the magic.

quote:

She was popular but kinda plain. We went to the same middle school but we never really hung out. That makes her better than the bitches who’d taunt me, but not much better when some of them ended up hanging onto her every word in high school. Now that I know she was a witch I wonder if her plainness was on purpose, like some kind of spell. I...don’t like the thought of Annie messing with a whole town’s mind if that’s true.

quote:

Well if this is Twin Peaks inspired: Monsterhearts: My WereDog Saw Something That Night

quote:

The Fae
Name: Nicole Olson
Look: Mysterious, piercing eyes
Origin: Touched with the gift

Hot 1
Cold 0
Volatile -1
Dark 1

Fae Moves
Faery Contract: If someone breaks a promise or contract made to you, take a String on them. When spending a String to even out the score and get justice on a broken promise, add these options:
  • they gently caress up something simple at a crucial moment;
  • add 2 to your roll on an act of vengeance;
  • they suffer 1 harm, whether the cause is obvious or not.
Lure: Whenever someone makes a promise to you, they mark experience. Whenever someone breaks a promise to you and you seek vengeance, mark experience.

Promises:

Your Backstory
You wear your heart on your sleeve. Give everyone one String.
You’ve captured someone’s fancy. Gain 2 Strings on them.

Sex Move
When you lie naked with another, you can ask them for a promise. If they refuse, take 2 Strings on them.

Darkest Self
Everything you say is a promise. Everything you hear is a promise. If a promise is broken, justice must be wrought in blood. To escape your Darkest Self, you must in some way re-balance the scales of justice.

ArbitraryTA
May 3, 2011
Sheet Withdrawn

ArbitraryTA fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Jan 10, 2017

Tricky Dick Nixon
Jul 26, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Theme Music

Now that Miss Perfect is out of the way, things are going to change around here. No, I mourn her, believe me. But don't pretend like it wasn't inevitable. It's always just a matter of time once they put themselves out there. On the other hand, it's up to us to use her example and make Oak Shore beautiful again. Who else but me to be at the front of that?

What, expecting an introduction? You already know who I am. And I'm not number two anymore. There is no one else but me to hold the banner for our class, and thank God for that. Look at how everyone is falling over themselves to remember something precious, something important about the missing dead girl. Meanwhile, the rest of us have lives to live. Sure, I wasn't some cheerleader slut or born into money, but that doesn't mean I don't know what it means to be beautiful, or glamorous. In the end, class comes from how you hold yourself, not how much money you have, and that's what I give people, class.

If you want to be part of the new order, come around the flagpole for our Bible readings, and we'll show you what love really means. My blood, and Jesus Christ's, will absolve you.

... I bet you think I was jealous, which is just so small-minded. I didn't have anything to be jealous of. Annie got everything she deserved, and so did I, don't you think? That's why I'm here, and she's... Well. People like Annie always get what's coming to them. They are always so very excited to show you what's so important about themselves. They want the world to feel special, and for you to recognize how special they are, but really, they're just meat. Meat and dust and ash, that's all anyone is, and once you get over yourself, that's when you can start to win.

Besides, she was a witch. And witches get burned.

Name: Juno "June" Carver
Skin: The Queen
Look: Icy, calculating eyes
Origin: The most dangerous person around (Student leader of the Young Life Bible Covenant/YLBC, or "the Covenant")

Stats:
:h: Hot +1
:d: Cold +2
:c: Volatile -1
:s: Dark -1

Moves:

:c: The Clique
You’re at the head of the toughest, coolest, most powerful clique around. They count as a gang. They’re cultists (with dark oaths and willingness to die).
  • Tansy Fairburn, the Nice One. Poor Tansy, and what happened to her summer before last. But we've helped her, and she'll help us. We'll help you too.
  • Delaney Hawthorne, the Fire Brand. She's got that convert's zeal, my little attack dog. She's smaller than the rest of us, but twice as vicious.
  • Claude Monroe, the Reformer. So what if he's a homosexual? He isn't doing any harm here. He understands the real important thing is purity. And he makes a good secretary.

:c: And Your Enemies Closer
When someone betrays you, gain a String on them.

:h: Sex Move: When you have sex with someone, they gain the Condition one of them. While the Condition remains, they count as part of your gang.

:s: Darkest Self: They’ve failed you. This is all their fault, and there’s no reason why you should have to suffer the consequences of their idiocy. You need to make an example out of each of them, a cruel and unwavering example. You escape your Darkest Self when you relinquish part of your power over to someone more deserving, or when you destroy an innocent person in order to prove your might.

quote:

The old firewatch tower at the edge of the woods used to be where people would smoke pot or drink cheap beer. Then, well, they started to fall off. Some people think it was suicides at first, but really when there's seven deaths in six years, you'd think they'd tear the thing down by now. Like it's a fad to kill yourself that way. Give me a break. Whatever, they shouldn't have been out there in the first place... Most of the time they weren't alone, either, but nobody talks about it.

quote:

Reverend Johnathan Hart is the local minister at the Holy Sacraments Christ Church. He's part of some weirdo Charismatic cult (What? Please, I have standards when it comes to the Word), but that doesn't stop him from being involved in the school somehow. I guess because he's a Reverend they made him the faculty advisor, though I suppose it's also in part because he's the choir director. Annie was real close to him, for some reason. I bet that slut was all too willing to try and use him against me, but well, we saw how that turned out.

quote:

I think I've made my opinion abundantly clear.

quote:

Thirding [MH] Oak Shore: That Game You Like Is Going to Come Back in Style

Tricky Dick Nixon fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Jan 9, 2017

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...
(Image Source)

Aina Kohonen, the Witch

The world is a hosed up place. More hosed up than you can even imagine. I thought I knew how hosed up it was, but I guess I was wrong. I knew the world hated us, I knew the world liked to kill people like us, but I never expected it to happen to her. She wasn't an outcast like the rest of us. She wasn't hated like the rest of us. She was just like them. She was supposed to be 'Miss Perfect.'

But even that doesn't matter. Even that doesn't protect you. You can be the most popular girl in school, but the moment you show them you're different they'll loving stab you in the back. Assholes. Turn you into another loving statistic. And now they act like they care about her. They'll cry and they'll pray, but they won't lift a single loving finger to make sure this never happens again.

This wasn't a freak accident. This wasn't an out-of-nowhere tragedy. This is just one in a long line of killings. It's been going on since Salem, and even thousands of years before that. As long as there have been Witches, there have been Witch-hunts. And it's not stopping now. I'm next.

Yeah. I'm a Witch, just like Annie. Well, not exactly like her. I was never popular, I never fit in. But we were friends. Went to Sunday School together. Got bored with it together. Got into Witchcraft together. There's lots of people who thought they knew her, but nobody knew her like I knew her. I knew who she was before she showed you all. And look what you did.

Everybody else might be able to just sit around and do nothing, but I am not going to loving rest until I figure out who killed her. Not that I have a choice. I wish I could be doing this selflessly. The world would be better place. But no, I have to do this for myself, too. Whoever did this is going to come after me next.

I'm not going to loving let that happen. And I know it's one of you.

quote:

Name: Aina Kohonen
Skin: The Witch
Look: Guarded, calculating eyes
Origin: Wiccan

Stats:
Hot -1
Cold 1
Volatile 0
Dark +1

Moves:

Sympathetic Tokens:
You gain power from sympathetic tokens - items of personal significance that you take from others.
Each sympathetic token counts as a String.

Hex-Casting:
You can cast Hexes. Choose two thatyou know.
To cast them, either expend a sympathetic token during a secret ritual, or meet the target’s gaze and chant at them in tongues.
Then roll with dark.
On a 10 up, the Hex works, and can easily be reversed. On a 7-9, it works but choose one:
- the casting does you 1 harm;
- the Hex has unexpected side effects;
- trigger your Darkest Self.

Bide my Time:
If you’ve got a sympathetic token against someone, add 1 to all rolls to hold steady against their actions or to run away from them.

Hexes:

Ring of Lies:
Whenever the person attempts to lie, they hear a piercing ringing noise.
Big lies will often make their knees buckle and disorient them.
Severe lies can cause harm or even brain damage.

Illusions:
Pick one: snakes and bugs, demonic visages, false prophecies, non-existent subtext.
The hexed sees that thing everywhere. You have no control over the exact images or manifestations.

Sex Move

After sex, you can take a sympathetic token from them. They know about it, and it’s cool.

Darkest Self

The time for subtlety and patience is over. You’re too powerful to put up with their garbage any longer.
You hex anyone who slights you. All of your hexes have unexpected side effects, and are more effective than you are comfortable with.
To escape your Darkest Self, you must offer peace to the one you have hurt the most.

The Wise Owl Used Book Store is one of the only good places in town. It's not even that great, but it's hard to go wrong with a place like that. Used book stores exist because people don't want to forget the weird little things that you won't find on Amazon or in e-books. This is where you go to find weird, hosed-up books, and this is where you go to find weird, hosed-up people. It's the one place in town that doesn't mind how weird or queer you are. Not like anybody goes to a smelly old book store to be normal.

This is where Annie and I went to buy our books on Witchcraft. Most of them turned out to be bullshit. The guy who owned the place, Paul Lessig, knew what we were doing, but I don't think he ever really believed in it. He's always been more conspiracy-theory type of guy.

They have a police officer that spends a lot of time at school. Everybody calls her Officer Debra. I don't actually know what her last name is, I never looked at her badge. I think she's there as some bullshit "community outreach" thing? But really they just want a police officer at school in case people get caught smoking drugs or something. Or if there's a school shooting.

I always thought it was weird that they'd keep a cop at school... but I guess they have a good reason now. It's not like she's going to actually make things that much safer. It's all loving security theater. They'll probably just crack down on people whose backpacks are too big or that just look too weird.

The truth? ...Okay.

I never actually liked her attitude towards people. She thought they'd be cool with it. The whole Witchcraft thing. She thought she knew people better than me. 'You've just got to try, Aina. If I can be popular, so can you.' She knew about how people like us get treated like poo poo, but she thought she could fix it. Show them that Witches aren't so weird after all. That we're 'just like them.'

And you can see where that got her.

I'm not happy about being right. If I could have it her way- if I could just lose an argument and have her back and be safe I loving would. It's not like I want to be a loving outcast. It's not like I want to be alone. And treated like poo poo. And have to watch my loving back every night. I'd trade everything away just for things to be okay. Even just kind of okay. But this is how it is.

Witches have to live in secret, and we can't trust anyone.

Apart from that... well, we never really shared that much taste. I mean, look at her and look at me. You'd think we're total opposites, and we kind of were. I never liked her friends, and I never really cared about the things she did that made her popular. The cheerleading, the partying, things like that. But I liked hanging out with her. She might have been normal as gently caress in some ways, but she was also the only person that 'got' how weird I am. And I was the only person that understood the weird side of her.

Takanago fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Jan 10, 2017

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.

Theme - Sex and Violence

Okay, let's start this off with the basics. My name is Ravenna Bachman. I spend most of my time in school out of school, either because I'm skipping, I'm in detention, or I'm currently suspended for skipping or misbehaving in detention. What do I do to end up there? Well, I'm not stupid enough to have drugs at school, so it's not that, but that's just because I have a brain. No, what I do get in trouble for tends to be either getting into fight, getting "physical" on campus - and I don't mean going all the way, though I have done that on the grounds, but more the couple steps before that - and for, like I said, skipping. Because really, what's the point of standing around in Boring Studies class in Boring School for idiot morons, when you could be out enjoying your life. We're not in this world forever - even me - so why not make the most of it? If someone like Annie could die this young, we don't have time to waste.

Outside of school I'm... still Ravenna Bachman, and I'm also the life of the party. Literally, in my case. People don't all realize it, but everyone knows inside that any party without Ravenna isn't a real party at all. I make things pop. See, I'm a Maenad - from my mother's side, and that means I need to make things lively. Exciting. Thrilling. With me around, everything is better. Fights are more exciting, kisses are intenser, food tastes better, drugs are stronger, trips are better - no bad trips with me around - and alcohol is... well stronger, but that's repeating so, if you drink with me around, you get drunker. Smoke and you get higher. If you're lucky enough to have sex with me... Well, for that you'll just have to experience it if you want to know. The only "downside" to all this is I'm supernaturally inclined to do all that. Now, it's not much of a downside, I'll admit. Because I love partying, drinking, smoking, loving, and I really love fighting. It's like all the upsides of sex with none of the mess, and none of the stupid emotional attachments people get.

The Maenad posted:

Skin
Name: Ravenna Bachman
Look: intense, mocking eyes
Origin: child of chaos

Stats
Hot +2
Cold -1
Volatile -1
Dark +1

Moves
Bad Influence
When you tempt someone to act against their best interests or stated desires in the name of having fun: if they decline, you gain a String on them or they gain the killjoy condition, their choice. If they accept, they gain a String on you and lose the killjoy condition if they have it.

When you have fewer Strings on someone than they have on you, they may add 1 to rolls against you as though you have the condition reckless.

Magnetic
When you take this move, pick one: fighting.

When you do that thing, your passion is entrancing, cathartic, and all-consuming. Name someone in eyesight or earshot and roll with Dark. On a 10 up, that person just has to come talk to you, and you carry 1 forward toward dealing with them. On a 7-9, that person may choose to erase one of their Conditions or gain a string on you. If they do, carry 1 forward.

Raving
When you brag publicly about your decadent or degenerate exploits, add 2 to your roll to turn someone on.

Sex Move
When you have sex with one person, you erase a Condition and they gain a String on you. When you have sex with multiple people, convert one String each participant has on you into a String on another participant.

Darkest Self

You're spiraling out of control and don't how to put on the brakes; your promises and obligations fall to the wayside. When you want to say something, you say it. When you want to do something, you do it—consequences be damned. Give in to your every temptation (loving, fighting, or otherwise) without reserve. You escape your darkest self when your satisfaction comes at significant cost to yourself or someone you care about.

quote:

I'm not the only one who thinks the idea of a Pet Cemetery is kind of inherently weird on its own, right? The dearly departed Fido, filled with preservatives and dressed in a little suit in a little coffin in a little grave. So, yeah, I think anyone using these is kind of off kilter anyway, especially when everyone here has a law, just bury em in the ground like a normal person, but Kozy Acres is strange on a level beyond that. See the sign, Established 1981? Well, I was 'doing' a class history report last year, and by 'doing' I mean flipping through a pile of books while flirting with my research partner - and I can tell you, we did a lot of research - but one of the things I happened to look at was a picture of one of the old mayors, back in uh... the fifties, I think? Wasn't paying too much attention. Well, point is they were photographed at the funeral of their faithful Germanshepard 'Chips', in the same spot.

Weird, huh? Well, one time on a whim, while a couple of us were getting drunk in the acres, we went around looking at the tombstones. None of em older than '81. So what's up with that? Did they just dig up all the old graves, rename the place and start over again? That's kind of hosed up for the people who paid money to put their pets into the ground for all time, or... whatever. hosed up, but I kind of like their style, if that's what they're doing.

quote:

Since we're talking Annie, I suppose I should mention Cammie here.

Camille, actually. She always asked people to call her that, but Annie and Cammie, it just sort of went that way. Annie called her it, but no one else did. They were best friends for years, she never got Annie's popularity, her looks, or her grades, but they stuck together. Until midway through last year, they had a falling out over... who knows, it could have been anything. People whispered about all sorts of reasons, but neither she or Annie ever said why. Just one day they stopped hanging out, stopped talking, everything. Never saw the two of them together again, though she was at the party when Annie showed us. Ever since Annie died, she's been a bit of a mess. Going from crying to happy and laughing, one day she even picked a fight with the star Quarterback when he talked about sleeping with Annie, and she's been doing a lot of drugs. Which I know because I hook her up with them. Poor thing.

quote:

Annie was... hmm. She was always a regular at parties, so I got to know her pretty well, even though she took the opposite approach to popularity than I did. Cheerleader, rich, all that respectable garbage. But for all that she was fun, not the stuck up rich bitch you'd expect. And hot. Everyone has fantasies about sleeping with a cheerleader, right? I'm definitely not an exception. A few months back at a party - not one of hers - well, to make a long story short, this college guy wasn't taking no for an answer from her, so I went over and taught him exactly what "no" means. Don't worry, I didn't hurt him ... permanently. After the fight, while I was cleaning off in the bathroom, Annie came up and... well, I won't go into details here. It was a one time thing, but I'm not going to forget that. Even with that though, I never would have guessed she was a witch. And now she's dead. I... drat. I don't know what to make of that. It's hosed, that's what it is. Someone like her should have had a long time to enjoy life ahead of her.

GodFish fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Jan 19, 2017

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Theme Music

Once upon a time, there was a perfect married couple. They loved each other very much, and they knew that they always would. Alas, this perfect pair found that they weren't quite perfect. As it turns out, they were unable to have a child of their own. Their grief tore at their hearts for months and months, until one day, a friend heard of their distress. Their friend was from very far away but was very powerful. The couple had already been a very good friend to him, so he decided that they deserved the happiness that they desired. So, one day, they were left a gift on their doorstep.

A perfect little gift.

At least, that's what my parents told me. But, I know there's a bit more to it. For instance, I know that I've got to keep them happy. It's what I'm here for, after all.

But, soon enough, I'll be grown and I can live my own life. That was the deal. I had to spend 18 years as their perfect angel, and then when I am an adult, I could live the rest of my life as a real person. It's been... hard, for sure. They want me to be good at everything. And I am, of course. But they want me to be good at everything all at once! Which is... a fair bit harder. I've had more than a few sleepless nights powered by cocktails of energy drinks and beta blockers. My parents don't know technically know about that part, but they've got to know, in the back of their minds at the very least, that all the pushing I'm doing for them isn't... 100% natural. Still, all this work is going to get me into any college I want, and once that happens, I'm gone. I mean, I'll still probably talk to them; it's not like they're monsters or anything. But distance and time will make them a lot less oppressive.

Maybe I'll be able to treat them like normal parents someday.

But, for now, they're Mom and Dad, and I'm their perfect little angel.

quote:

Name: Zoe Skrieger
Look: Monochrome, steel eyes
Origin: Summoned and bound

Stats
Hot +0
Cold +1
Volatile +1
Dark -1

Moves

Obligations
You have duties and responsibilities that eat up your time:
Getting Straight A's
Student Government
Cheerleeding Practice
Family Dinner
Charity Work
Religious Services

At the end of each session, if you’ve slaved diligently and dealt with any crises, roll with cold.
If you’ve been neglectful, instead roll at -1.

On a 10+, you’re keeping everything spinning -- for now. Heal a harm or erase a Condition.
On a 7-9, you’ve slipped up somewhere. Pick one of your obligations; the MC will tell you an urgent crisis you have to deal with.
On a 6-, catastrophe: become your Darkest Self.

My Candle Burns at Both Ends
In pursuit of perfection, you push yourself far beyond what’s safe or healthy.
When you roll a 6 or a 9, if you have less than 3 harm, add 1 to your roll and deal yourself a harm (whether from pain, stress, or exhaustion).

Beyond Good and Evil
When you hurt someone who cares for you, heal a harm.

Sex Move
When you relax within your lover’s arms, you can forget about all your burdens for a while: treat it as each of you tending to the other’s wounds.
Afterwards, roll for having neglected your Obligations.

Darkest Self
It’s all fallen apart. You can’t seem to keep up with anything, let alone everything, and everywhere you turn something’s gone wrong.
But that’s about to change.
Now is the time to pull out all the stops, to sacrifice your friends, your body, and your happiness on the altar of perfection.
You’re going to get back on top, to succeed, to excel,to prove that you aren’t a useless failure. And may the costs be damned.

Escape your Darkest Self when you are on top of all your duties again, or when you pass out from exhaustion.

So... you ever seen anyone go into WWK4 Radio Station?

No? Me either.

I'm not watching it all the time, but it's outside the coffee-shop I sometimes stop by to do a bit of studying before cheer practice. It took a few weeks before I realized I've never seen anyone go in or out. During one of my five minute breaks (don't look so surprised, small breaks are proven to increase content retention), I walked across the street and tried to go inside, but the doors were locked. The doors were tinted so I couldn't see inside, either.

I hear that they broadcast all the latest music, though, so someone has to be bringing it in there, right? But what's the reason for keeping the place on lockdown?

I don't really have much time for gossip, you know.

...Fine. If you'll let me get back to studying, I'll tell you what you want.

My dad (His name is Matthew, by the way) is really good friends with Mrs. Henderson, the drama teacher. I'm... not really sure why, though. Dad's a really serious, practical sort. Well, as much as you can be and make a deal with an extra-planar being for a perfect daughter. But even that has an air of practicality to it, I suppose. No questions, no strings, no tricks. Just an fair deal between two parties.

Anyway, Mrs. Henderson? She's... well... she's a bit out there. I guess that's the nice way to say it. It's like she never got the memo that the 60s ended a while ago, but she's still talking about chakras, crystal energy, and other stuff.

Of course, since Annie was a witch... maybe she's onto something?

Or maybe she's just really into crystals. I don't know. Now, I've got a test next period, so let me be.

Oh, Annie was probably the closest thing I've had to a friend. I never really had a lot of time for friends, but from hanging around with her at cheer practice, I felt like we really understood each other. Still, it was a pretty tough friendship at times. I'm not as pretty as her, but my parents didn't really care about that. What they did care about was the fact that she sometimes topped me on tests. And that would make them... disappointed. Which meant at least two days of coming right home after school to study. Which would throw my cheer and student council schedule into a mess and then...

Well, anyway, when Annie showed us what she could do at the party (and trust me, she really had to twist my arm into going)... it was honestly a bit of a relief! Everything suddenly made more sense. She must have been magicking up the answers to tests or something. I mean, if she was just human and doing better than me at balancing her life... what would that say about me?

It's not paranoia if they're out to get you.

Capfalcon fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Jan 12, 2017

BallisticClipboard
Feb 18, 2013

Such a good worker!

Keith Franklin, The Sasquatch

Hi. What? Did you need something?

You like my outfit? Aw, stop. It's just something I threw together this morning. I was picking between this and a robin egg blue shirt and I lost track of the time and had to run here. Literally. I didn't even try with this.

This feels really familiar. You know Annie right? Who am I kidding? Everyone does. Did.

A few years ago. I was sitting in the lunch room after school nervously playing with my scarf waiting for my family to pick me up. Out of nowhere, Anne came up to me and complimented my scarf. It was lightning blue with black streaks. I didn't know what to say so I didn't say anything. I didn't think she even knew I existed. I stared and waited for her to leave. Instead she took a seat next to me and said that she wished I spoke more. She said, "Your outfit is half as beautiful as your voice". I asked her if she was making fun of me. She laughed. She said, "I'm not. I hear you in Choir". I smiled a big goofy smile. I told her I wished I stood out as much as my outfits. Another laugh. I don't know why but we started talking after that.

Anne was one of the few people that actually saw me. You can laugh, it's the only reason this suit isn't tear stained. I'm sure this dress shirt is visible from space but despite the outfit, I blend into crowds. I could be standing in plain sight and people talk about me like I'm not even there. But not her, she always found me. I didn't mean to unload all of that to you. I'm still getting over her death.

I wore a white suit for a week after I learned she passed. I guess I've always coped like this. Clothing is my thing if you haven't noticed. I've always been this invisible, as long as I wasn't hungry or hurt my parents couldn't care less. It wasn't until I tried to wear a midnight black denim skirt my freshman year that my parents decided to pay attention. Another time, I got sent home from school for wearing a hot pink Tank Top and some Cutoffs. I thought I wore it well. Every time I got in trouble, it meant I was doing something right. But all things come to an end and even when I was blending fuchsia and plum, I was invisible again. That was depressing. I was thinking of burning my sewing machine but then I decided to start doing this for myself. I made what my heart wanted and it was nice.

I'm sorry I don't have much of a story. I'm just some shy kid. It was nice talking to you though and thanks for the complement.

quote:

Don't say that. It may be small but it's my hometown, even though you're right. Well, I take a lot of long walks near the lake. Day, night, whenever as long as it's not freezing. Maybe even then if I grabbed some hot chocolate before heading out. Some nights, I would see some light coming from the forest nearby. I didn't think much of it. I figured it was some college students partying. But ever since Anne's party I can't help but wonder if that's really what it is. Not that I want to find out. I think I'm done with parties.

quote:

It's not brought up as much but Anne's boyfriend, Alex Young, went missing at the same time. He was found a few towns over in critical condition but he's recovered since then. Alex transferred in during my sophomore year. One look at him and you can see why they ended up together. They we're so cute together and an absolute gentleman towards me. He's one of the few people that have my phone number. This couldn't of happened to a nicer person. I believe him when he says he has no clue why Ann was killed or why he was kidnapped and hurt. The police do too but his classmates don't. One of the things of being invisible is that you can hear your friend's name dragged through the mud and can't do a thing about it. They're concocting conspiracies in their heads and I know for a fact he wouldn't hurt a fly.

I wish I could clear his name but I don't know what happened that night. I left the party early that night, maybe nine, nine-thirty. I was there long enough for Anne's big reveal and then I went home. I was there and gone before anything happened.

quote:

I think I talked about her at length already. I liked her. She was a friend. She seemed to have everything under control. For as busy as she was, I don't she ever flinched. I can't believe she's gone.

quote:

Name: Keith Franklin
Look: Sweet with sparkling eyes
Origin: Was a quiet child

Stats: 0, -1, 1, 1
Moves:
Musk
You have a distinct smell, unpleasant to some, intriguing to others. When you sweat in the presence of other people, roll with volatile.
• On a 10 up, the MC gives you a String on someone there and they choose:
- compliment you,
- apologize to you,
- give themselves to you.
• On a 7-9, the MC gives you a String on someone there, and that character gives you a Condition, delivered in the most appropriate way.

Icebreaker
You radiate awkwardness and people don't know how to talk around you. When someone speaks to break a silence or to start a new conversation, you may roll with dark.
• On a 10 up, choose two of these questions for them to blurt truthful answers to, whether or not you actually ask.
• On a 7-9, choose one question and during this conversation you both blurt out truthful answers to it.
- Who do you want to make out with?
- What don't you want me to find out?
- What do you intend to do?
- What do you wish I'd do?
- What are you scared of?
- What are you ashamed of?
- Do you like me?

Hidden In The Scenery
When it appears that you're not around, you may roll with dark.
• On a 10 up, you're there and you remain completely unnoticed.
• On a 7-9, you're there, and somebody sees. If they don't draw attention to you, they gain a String on you at the end of the scene.

Your Backstory
You've been a wallflower all your life, but someone finally noticed you. Give them a String.
Someone makes fun of you. What do they say? They give you a Condition, and you gain 2 Strings on them.

BallisticClipboard fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Jan 12, 2017

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Ursula Fern, the Black Hearted

I need no introduction. But if you're a plebeian and live under a Dwayne Johnson I am Ursula Fern, daughter of Bartholomew Fern, owner of the Fern Grove Lodge, the only reason people ever visit this piss any town! Surely you've heard of him. Fern Grove is rather famous in the hunting community. So I've been told. There's always important looking people daddy is welcoming to the lodge. We have a lot of regulars. They fly in from all over.
But that's just why daddy is well known around town. The real reason he's important is because he leads the Winter Lodge. The true stewards of the land and liaisons to the Cold Ones. Daddy is being stubborn and keeping me out of the lodge's business for now. But I'm going to run it one day! What is he going to do? Give it to Joe's boy? I don't think so! Besides I'm clearly being groomed into a courtier so I can navigate the maze of vassals the Cold Ones like to put in front of people. If you were clever like me it would be plain as day.

It's not happening before I'm out of school so whatever. I got bigger problems. Like this bitch Annie. The other most popular girl in school. Other. Our people have been clashing for over a year. But then she invites me to that party. I wasn't sure if it was going to be like a trap or a truce. But then she shows me up with practicing magick! Ugh. I haven't learned anything like that yet and I bet she knew it. And now I can't get even with her! If I ever find out how did this I'm going to invent new ways to hurt people. I was going to beat her! But she ran the clock. Now I can't even throw shade at her. Not that I want to. Jesus. It was so much easier to just hate her. Now it's... complicated.

If the Winter Lodge had something to do with this and I wasn't trusted to handle it I'm going to lose. My. poo poo. I don't know how witch craft intersects with the faerie. But they probably don't like unlicensed witches or some poo poo. Honestly the Cold Ones seem like a huge pain in the rear end. They got all these asinine rules. And if you don't follow them they want nothing to do with you in case you bumble something and tear a hole in the whatever and stuff. I got to say some ward phrase before touching steel, "cold iron." And I can only leave the house in exactly two layers of clothing. That one is a pain in the rear end. But I think it pays dividends. All their mischief regulations is more like a hand book on how to gently caress with people. I'm pretty much a master fucker with people... person. I'm going to come up with a better way to say that which isn't lame like prank master.

So yeah that stuff is why I figure I got that text. "I know what you are." Pfft. I'm human jackass. Or is this a thing where collaborators lose claim to their humanity. Well if he thinks I have an ice cube for a heart I'll be happy to live down to his expectations. And if this is a prank he's going to regret it. People only thing of pedestrian poo poo like this. I got a deep playbook. I'll show him what mischief really is. And if it's some jack rear end hunting down weirdos like witches and poo poo, if he has something to do with what happened to Annie... oh I'm going to drag his rear end to court! I might deny myself the pleasure of doing it myself, but I'm sure the Cold Ones have just the thing for some puffed up turd threatening their humans.

Either way I'm getting the last laugh. Unless this poo poo head wants to die before I get a hold of them too.

ugh.

quote:

Ursula Fern
Black Hearted
Angular, Darting Eyes

Dark Dynasty

0 Hot +1 Cold +1 Volatile -1 Dark

My Nemesis - The person with the most strings on you at the start of a scene is your Nemesis. You carry one forward acting against your nemesis.

Dastardly Whiplash - When you make your intentions obvious and are subsequently foiled mark experience and who ever ruined your plans becomes your nemesis next scene regardless of strings.

Backstory

Someone is your nemesis having slighted you in the past, they gain three strings on you. They are your nemesis the first scene regardless of how many strings they have.

Your obnoxious antics are well known, everyone else gains a string on you.

Someone has already fallen victim to your wiles, gain a string on them.

Darkest Self - Maybe they’re right, not to want you around. Well you’ll be damned if you’re going to be shunned and die in obscurity. Even if it means, ugh, being nice. In fact, you’ll be the best at being nice! You’ll show all those high horse riding hypocrite moralizers what real charity is! You’ll never pass up an opportunity to give and no amount of stuff or effort is too much. You escape your darkest self when your kindness is scorned or when people refuse to believe you’ve really turned over a new leaf.

Sex Move - If your partner is your nemesis declare your victory and they lose all their strings on you. If your partner is anyone else declare that this doesn’t mean anything and they gain enough strings on you to become your nemesis.

LifeGetsWorser posted:

Of course the most interesting place is the Grove of Owls. Where the reality is hazy and thin. It is named for the flock of barn owls that live there. They gather and stare at anyone who gets close, which is enough to spook anyone anyway. It's really cool! I was only there once. That was when I received The Code, the list of asinine rules I mentioned. It was funny to watch the owls drag that big rear end book up to me. But no one's allowed to pass the line of stones unless they're the grand mufti or chosen. The center of the place must be really wild. The trees are all hosed up only half way into it.

Saula is really cool. And frustrating sometimes honestly. She has to like consciously stop herself from doing whatever she's told. I think she has a brain problem? I figure it would be rude to ask. But it means she's really nice! So I like to keep her around. My other friends can be really catty. You know? That sort of circle of predators dynamic keeps me on my feet to remain the alpha and that has its own place. But I like to just relax too and I can do that with Saula. She's got this bitchin fashion sense too. Everyone else says its really garish but they're a bunch of stupid assholes who think I over do it too. Punk is all about going total ham. And she does get pre-cut jeans like some poser all the wear and tear in her gear if legit. It's so raw. I love it. She's so cool.

Ugh I hate her! She's soooo perfect. Everyone loved her. I was always trying to keep up, not that I like to admit I wasn't always keeping pace. She was so pretty, and her voice was divine and... ahem. Well she could have anyone around her finger if she wanted. But was too nice for that. Hell, I declared war on her but she wouldn't have it. I figured she was just maintaining appearances and was acting through her little poo poo sycophants as proxies. But this one time I was losing my poo poo in the bathroom. It was a rough day and I was trying to juggle The Rules. And it was just making everything worse and I just had enough of it. So she comes out of a stall. I wanted to die. My moment of weakness was on full display to my greatest enemy! But she just pulled me into a hug and told me it was going to be okay. She had this poofy sweat so she was so warm and soft. Ugh, I wanted to die. That was when she invited me to the party. God drat it she's gone I just want to forget her! Even dead she's a pain in my rear end! But I can't get her out of my head.

SHY NUDIST GRRL fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Jan 9, 2017

LifeGetsWorser
Oct 23, 2010

Fun Shoe
Going to try and get a first round of questions up tonight so if you haven't already, please answer the initial questions at least and get a backstory in there so I get a feel for your character and can ask stuff!

Frgrbrgr
Jan 20, 2009
App on hold while I figure out if I have the bandwidth to play

quote:

Name: Bram Ashcroft
Skin: The Succubus
Look: Hungry eyes, alluring
Origin: Hell was boring

Stats

Hot +2
Cold +1
Volatile -1
Dark -1

Moves

Tempting
You are known as somebody that can provide help, and you are bound to those that ask for it. When somebody asks you for help, take a String on them. Then, they choose one and cross it off:
  • They mark experience.
  • They carry 1 forward.
  • They heal 1 Harm.
  • They clear a condition.

Troublemaker
Anytime you offer someone experience to get them to do something that goes against the moral standards of the community and they do it, mark experience as well.

Sex Move
Whenever somebody gives themselves to you, carry 1 forward, then choose one and cross it off:
  • You mark experience.
  • You heal 1 Harm.
  • You clear a condition.
When somebody gives themselves to you and there’s nothing left on the list, enter your Darkest Self.

Darkest Self
You give and you give and you give—but what do you get in return for it? No, you’re the one in control here. Deny help to everyone, and tell each person asking for it that they must perform a task that has a significant cost or breaks their moral code. Leave your Darkest Self when they accomplish that task to your satisfaction, or when they beg and beg for you to yield. When you leave your Darkest Self, return all options to Tempting and your Sex Move.

Background

Somebody desperately needs your help. Take a String on them.

Somebody refused to come to you for help in the past. Give them a String.

Okay, so stop me if you've heard this one.

New kid in town, hear about a party, show up and have a blast. Only this version ends in the death of the host, Amy or something - and the whole town you just moved into goes into super witch hunt mode and goes nuts for the rest of the summer.

WIP

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Frgrbrgr fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Jan 10, 2017

Green Bean
May 3, 2009

Noel Dunn, the Shadow

There's not a lot to say about me, really. My name's Noel Dunn, I'm a senior at OSCS, I get good grades but not super great. I live with my mom - she's a nurse at the General, and it's just me and her now. My dad's dead; One day when I came home from middle school, he'd hung himself in the bathroom. Mom says he was abusive, but I try not to think about the details and she doesn't push me to. Leon doesn't like me remembering either - or any time before he was...here.

He saw what you were and it repulsed him. Your own father. I did what I did to protect you.

I mostly keep to myself at school. No sports, no clubs, I've got a small circle of friends I hang out with at lunch and stuff, but we're not really close. I don't think any of them have even been over to my house. I'm fine with it, honestly. Seeing the kind of effort people put in to keep their friendships going, I'm fine with just being an acquaintance. It's just better for everyone.

If they saw the real you, saw the terrible things you think about them, do you really think they'd stay your friends? You're rotten on the inside, Noel, and your monstrosity is bone deep, but I love you anyway. Only I ever could...

Annie was...I don't know how to describe it. At that party, she did something weird to me, I can't even describe it, but all of a sudden, things were quiet. For the first time since Dad died, I could hear myself think, without an audience, without Leon dredging up my every selfish moment. I'd never felt more alone and terrified in my life - it was like suddenly losing a lobe. I don't even really remember the rest of the night, just waking up the next day to find Leon back and Annie missing. My biggest fear is that...he did something to her, but I can't think that too loudly.

quote:

Name: Noel Dunn
Shadow's Name: Leon
Skin: The Shadow
Look: Obscured, nervous eyes
Origin: Psychic split personality

-1 Hot, 1 Cold, -1 Volatile, 2 Dark

Skin Moves

The Passenger
Your Shadow takes note of anyone with their fingers in your clay. Anytime someone gains a string on you, give them the condition Shadowed - they feel a little paranoid, like something’s watching them.. When you gaze into the abyss, it’s your Shadow who answers. If someone removes the condition Shadowed through any move except one of your own, take a string on them.

Mine!
Mine!: When you lash out physically against someone who has a string on you, roll Dark instead of Volatile.

Tapping At Your Window
Whenever you sleep alone, your shadow roams; roll with dark.On a 10+, your shadow spends one of your strings on someone with Shadowed for you, remotely.
On a 7-9, pick 2:
  • the target keeps Shadowed,
  • you choose the string effect,
  • your shadow doesn’t leave any signs of its passing.
You have no control over exactly how your shadow causes this effect.

Sex Move
When you’re intimate with someone, give them the Shadowed condition. If they already have it, mark experience and give them the Drained condition instead. If they already have that as well, they take 1 harm.

Darkest Self
You’ve let what was outside in, and it isn’t interested in leaving. You have a ringside seat for the darkness parading around in your skin, and it doesn’t like all the friends and foes you’ve made. It needs to hurt and punish to distance itself from all those connections, and it isn’t afraid to cross as many lines as it takes to do it. While you are your Darkest Self, you can use Mine! even if you’ve never selected the move. You can escape your Darkest Self when someone recognises you aren’t behind the wheel, or when all your strings are gone.

Backstory
Someone is the first real friend you’ve made. Each of you take a string on the other. This does not give them the Shadowed condition.

Someone took the heat for something you did and they know it. They take a string on you. This does not give them the Shadowed condition.

My mom works at the Oak Shore General Hospital, and it's a little weird. The building my mom works at used to be a place where they did palliative care for the syphilitic, like a hundred years ago, but apparently someone went crazy and burnt the whole place down. Like forty people died. It's a maternity ward now, and at least once a year someone will report a haunting. What's weird is even Leon doesn't like the place - he's always quiet whenever we visit, except to tell me to hurry up and get out.

I don't like it there.

Charlie Parker was a friend of mine for a while. I met him in freshman year; he was the new kid, I'd just lost my dad, I guess we were both looking for someone to hang out with. We were close for a while, but then he started complaining about never getting any sleep. Then his dog died - mauled by a wild animal, or that's what his parents said, and I started getting suspicious. I tried to call out Leon, and he gave me an ultimatum. I thought I could call his bluff, and the next night Charlie's house burnt down. His little sister almost died. After that, I withdrew. We'd been close, but after the tenth time I blew him off after school, he took the hint. We're both seniors now, and we run in different circles. He's chairman of the incredibly tiny LGBTQ student group at OSCS, and he's got early acceptance at an Ivy League school. Not that I'm keeping track.

I saw the way you were thinking about him, the furtive glances, the casual questions, the nighttime fantasies. Disgusting. He could never care for a thing like you. I need to protect you, Noel, even from your own decisions, and I only had to go that far because you made me.

I wasn't particularly close with Annie, but I guess I'm not really close with anybody. I didn't even really get invited to her party - she told one of my friends he could bring his friends, and I just happened to be on the group text. She seemed nice - some of the other popular people use it as a license to poo poo all over anyone beneath them - but I wouldn't have been surprised if you'd told me she'd had a dark secret. I mean, I'd have been surprised if you'd told me the secret was literal magic, but I think that's true of most people.

Green Bean fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Jan 10, 2017

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
another werewolf in upstate new york? don't mind if I do!

LifeGetsWorser
Oct 23, 2010

Fun Shoe
So here's questions for people who's apps are complete + questions. I'm only probably doing this one round of questions, so if you're not done yet, don't fret. Once some more people are done, I'll ask them their questions, too. I don't want to ask too many questions though - better to discover things during play.

Lyra
What's your favorite play? Why? Which character do you identify with the most out of it? Also, is this the first time you have felt the sting of Cupid's Arrow or has there been any others? If so, what happened to them?

Aidan
So is everyone in your family unicorns or is it just you? If the latter, how'd you learn about your heritage? What's the worst spot in Oak Shore as far as the whole "murdering magic" thing goes? Why's that?

Angie
Hey I don't mean any offense, but...how'd you and Annie get to be Best Friends, anyway? Is it just a matter of opposites attract or is there more to it? What has Mother done for you so far? What has she asked you to do for her?

Jaya
So what was it that alerted you to the supernatural occurrances in Oak Creek? How'd you deal with that first time? What do your parents think about the odd hours you keep? Do you think they've caught on at all?

Daisy
I get this is a touchy subject but - how long were you...uhm...away? Are your parents still in town somewhere? Is anyone from before? Have you tried reaching out to anybody, if they are? Even the people who might've...you know...killed you?

Shanie
So I noticed you didn't bring up a mother - where's she in all of this? Do you think Mr. Pauling might have any inkling as to your true nature? If not, how do you explain away your eccentricities to him - since you're in close proximity and all?

Chere
So where do you come from anyway? What's it like there? Why hasn't anybody come back around to...you know...pick you up? What does your real form look like? Little green man? Xenomorph? Sentient spaghetti monster?

Nicole
So other than the Judge - have you met any other...er...forest entities? Or anything like that? The first time you had to "take care" of a liar or a cheat - how'd you do it? What was the fallout from it?

June
So uh...when you say cult - or scratch that, when you say your blood - what are you even talking about? How'd you end up with your gifts, anyway? Is it inborn or did something...occur? What exactly are the effects of the...uh...communion?

Aina
So other than Annie and yourself, do you actually know any other Witches who can do what you can do? When and how did the two of you get your gifts, anyway? And who progressed faster; you or Annie?

Zoe
Just wondering - have you ever met anyone else like you? Or are you unique, as far as you're aware? Do you ever get to do anything for fun at all, or is it always work work work?

Ursula
So are the other lodges out there? What are they like, at least as far as you've heard? Does your kind sense all manner of weird poo poo or is it only places and things having to do with your own...stuff?

Noel
Has anyone else ever caught on to Leon, at all? Or well, that you're not exactly alone? Do you think if Annie was able to quiet things down that you might've been purposely kept away from her before the party? Is Leon really capable of murder?

megane
Jun 20, 2008

"Welcome, traveler. You're a long way from home." That's what Anne whispered in my ear, the night of the party. The night she showed us her strange magic, the night everything went wrong. At the time, I didn't understand what she meant... my house is only a few miles from hers. But before I could speak up, she gave me a kiss, smiled, and swept away.

I... don't remember much from the party. There was food and drinks and music and... I started to feel strange. Lightheaded. The lights, the noise... the kiss... oh, it was like I was dreaming! When Anne showed us her power, I... I don't even remember what I did, what I said. All I remember is rushing out into the street in the dark, my head spinning, and then being at my own front door.

Did it happen then? Or later? Or before the party even began? I guess I'll never know.

It wasn't until the next day that I noticed.

When I woke up in the morning... it's hard to explain, but... things were... different. This... this is not my home, no matter how much it might look like the Oak Shore I grew up in, oh no. There are people who look like my Mom and Dad and Sara here, and they live in a house that looks just like my house, but... oh God, it's not them! They dress differently, they talk differently, they... they glare at each other all the time, and... and at breakfast, nobody said anything, and afterwards Sara drove off in a car with a boy!

Everything is like that. My room is pretty much the same, but I have a little television and a Playstation in the corner where my violin stand is supposed to be. I walk past Mr. Hartnett's farm to get to downtown, but I almost got lost because there's an alcohol store there instead, and no sign of Mr. Hartnett at all. The store looks abandoned, though, so that doesn't even make sense. And when I met her in the park, June smiled and waved at me, but this June seems... quiet and sad. I asked if she was feeling ill, but she said she was fine. But then why could she be upset? Even worse, Rachel -- she is my beloved friend as well, but this Rachel looks disgusted whenever she catches sight of me! I would write her a letter to apologize, but I don't know what mistake I could have made to make her angry! Or... oh God, what do I do?

For a time, I thought... God, I thought perhaps I had gone insane! Maybe... maybe this is all right, and I'm the one that's, that's, that's wrong. Surely this is all just part of God's plan? B-but then Anne's words at the party came back to me -- she knew! She knew I was not from this place, that I was.... was lost, trapped, stranded! Maybe it was Anne that brought me here! She must know the way back, as well! She had to help me!

But of course... I couldn't find her that day. Or the next. She had... had gone into the hands of God. No one will be seeing her kind smile ever again. My God have mercy upon her soul.

And... and also upon mine. I must pray that whoever sent this new message, this person who claims to know me, is not mistaken. Because whatever secret poor Anne knew about me, and the way back to where I belong, she's taken it with her to Heaven.

And left me to wander in Hell.

quote:

Hannah Bashir, the Angel
proud, bright eyes
theme song

Hot -1, Cold 0, Volatile 2
Trespass < 0 > Forgiveness

Cast From Heaven
You no longer have a dark stat. Instead, you have a scale, moving between Trespass and Forgiveness. It starts at 0. When asked to roll with dark, roll with Trespass instead. Whenever you subjugate yourself to someone else’s will, move the marker toward Forgiveness. Whenever you judge and punish others without God’s permission, move the marker toward Trespass. If Trespass or Forgiveness is highlighted, mark experience whenever you roll with that stat or shift the marker in that direction.

Gaze Into Heaven
When you gaze into heaven, as a servant of God, roll with Forgiveness. On a 10 up, you are filled with his voice, and may ask him for guidance or command. Carry one forward to whatever you’d like. On a 7-9, you are greeted by one of his emissaries, who will impart to you a mission. Carry one forward to completing that mission.

When you gaze into heaven, as a spurious and hateful child, it counts as gazing into the abyss. On a 10 up, add this option to the list: the visions show you what God fears most from you, and you carry 1 forward to realizing that fear. On a 7-9, add this option to the list: the visions show you how you have upset or bewildered God.

Halo
When you turn someone on, roll with Forgiveness.

Sex Move
When you have sex, you are reminded of your purpose here on earth. Lose one of your Skin moves and gain a different one.

Darkest Self
You've fought so hard to distance yourself from the lord, to establish autonomy and independence. In doing so, you've unwittingly stumbled into the service of another power greater than yourself. You will carry out their will as if it were your own. Whenever possible, you'll convince yourself that you're doing this of your own volition. You escape your Darkest Self when you realize who's been tempting you down this dark path, and beg others to save you.

W-well, most of this Oak Shore is... similar, I guess... to my Oak Shore. Some buildings are painted other colors, some streets have names I don't remember, there are different stores, but if I don't look carefully I can almost forget. But then, then I find myself walking in the shadow of the Cartwright Tower. My God, do these people not even notice it? The first time I saw it, I nearly fainted! But nobody else seems to think it's even strange! Did... did they just get used to it? How is that even possible? It's so obviously out of place, so huge and terrible, like some terrible monster looming over the city! Heaven help us...

Ms. Villanueve is the school's counselor. One of the many, many little surprises I've run across is that they expect me to go and visit her, once a week, every Thursday. I don't know why, and I'm not sure how to ask. I had to go by this week, even though school hasn't started. I didn't really know what I was supposed to do there, but Ms. Villanueve just... assumed I knew, so I went in and sat down while she asked me a bunch of questions. She seemed worried, for some reason. At first she just asked how I was feeling, if my classes were all right. But all my answers seemed to confuse her, and she kept telling me I could tell her anything I wanted. What does that even mean?

I - she was normal! Is... is normal. The Anne that I knew back home. I didn't know her very well, but we shared our lunches a few times anyway. I remember her laugh, her kind blue eyes... She was certainly not a witch! ...I... I think... oh dear. I still have the invitation card for the party, and on the back, she wrote: "May God watch over you in your travels." I thought it was sweet at the time, but now I don't know what to think. Did she know this was going to happen? And what does it mean that this other Anne is dead? Does this... does this mean that my Anne is dead as well? Oh no...

megane fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Jan 11, 2017

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Are you in or are you out?

LifeGetsWorser posted:

Chere
So where do you come from anyway? What's it like there? Why hasn't anybody come back around to...you know...pick you up? What does your real form look like? Little green man? Xenomorph? Sentient spaghetti monster?
The inside of what looks like a distant star that sends explorers around the universe to survey up close places that will soon be undetectable to us as the universe expands. It's a place where conscious entities split and unify, collaborating to understand as much as can be observed. It's more a being than a "place" with buildings and such. This is my part of the universe so I'll be coming back once I'm done here rather than being "picked up." In the meantime, I would like to accelerate the technological advances of the dominant species here so they're less likely to destroy life on this planet, but otherwise I won't be revealing my nature to anyone. That's one of the reasons why I have to investigate this text. If I tell someone what I am, I would have to kill them!

That's mostly a joke

My real form looked like this about a third of the way through the transformation:

Here I was coalescing into the form of Barbara, after which I replicated the combination of gametes and such and fast-forwarded through gestation and giving birth to my new form, then skipped the boring parts. People don't really remember being babies anyway.

Little green men and xenomorphs and spaghetti monsters come from other parts of the universe but in other dimensions, yeah they are on Earth. Saying "other dimensions" is kind of cheating, though, everything imaginable shows up there. Like in Rick and Morty! A great show, one of the things Annie exposed to me that I did enjoy adding to my curriculum (I watched it at x3 speed). "Break the cycle Morty, rise above, focus on science." I'm trying to do that despite people hexing me and the random flood of distracting hormones my body secretes without the aid of magic. In general, I'm more like Rick than Morty though, that's for sure.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

LifeGetsWorser posted:

Ursula
So are the other lodges out there? What are they like, at least as far as you've heard? Does your kind sense all manner of weird poo poo or is it only places and things having to do with your own...stuff?

Well I only know about the Summer Lodge because they're also here. There's probably uh, local branches in other places. That lodge is a gaggle of insufferable do gooders. Always sticking their nose is all the interesting business in town. Their stink has been all over Annie's investigation too. But that confirms my suspicions. This isn't some mundane murder. The Summer Lodge take it upon themselves to clean out the riff raff of the town. Or so Daddy and Joe like to grumble to each other about. Until Annie I wasn't sure if there really was anyone else in contact with the wild. But with this area such a wellspring of power I don't know why I didn't think the opposite. A particularly dim sense of direction could have you tripping over crystallized impossibility in the backwoods. And most people in this town are particularly dim. Wait, that would make Annie the sort of trouble maker that runs afoul the Summer Lodge. I thought they fashioned themselves good guys. Taking her own like that and then derailing the investigation seems a bit... underhanded. I'll have to be on the look out.

Well it's like getting a sense for anything. You recognize your behavior in other people. Like... I don't know gaydar but for magick? Feydar. Regardless, even if all magick isn't from the wellspring of the deep wild and I'm not sure it isn't, it all seems to follow its own rules. The rituals and practices all make sense in their inscrutable context. But you just seem like a weirdo to the untrained eye. Or maybe OCD. But when you sync into the logic of your own rituals you can recognize the patterns within patterns displayed by others. And I have a good eye for this sort of thing I can assure you.

Or the town has something in the water and everyone has brain problems. That wouldn't surprise me given the what passes for conversation I am subjected to on a daily basis.

Double May Care
Mar 28, 2012

quote:

Shanie
So I noticed you didn't bring up a mother - where's she in all of this?
My mother isn't... around anymore. Maybe I should back up. See, Dad was like how I am now: human-shaped, with a dinosaur skin in his closet. He walked up here back when Oak Shore was just blossoming as a town. And he met my future mom, Keeli, since she worked at the hatchery because, like, of course she did. She freaked out a little when she saw Dad's pelt for the first time, which is understandable when you're an ecologically-minded person. So he put it on and oh my god, I guess she just fell in love. Isn't that kinda sweet?

Okay, so... Then I came around? Like, I was human, but as I grew I got my pelt. But she, Mom, she held onto Dad's pelt until I turned three or four. My first tangible memory, the one that sticks out the most, is of Dad holding Mom against the wall.

Uh, long story short... Dad took me to the lake, and we became monsters. He didn't want me to look for my mother, which I... kinda understand. It would be nice to say hi to her, but if she was just manipulating him for "science," maybe we're better off.

I don't know if I would even recognize her, or if she's still alive... And I'm not sure I want to know.

quote:

Do you think Mr. Pauling might have any inkling as to your true nature? If not, how do you explain away your eccentricities to him - since you're in close proximity and all?

I need to find a better hiding place for my pelt, evidently.

I didn't know what to do with it at first, so I kept it in my backpack until I moved in with him. Then I put it in my closet, just hanging up with what few clothes I have. And, I mean, it gets dirty sometimes. So when Mr. Pa--Geoff went to get my laundry, it was... on top of my hamper? I thought I was supposed to do it myself, so I didn't think much of it.

So we had a little talk, and I explained why I... am the way I am. "Skaneateles Lake is my home." To him I'm like a mermaid, or a dory, whatever that is. He understood the concept, but not the details. I didn't tell him about Dad, not yet, and he wanted to look at the pelt some more... I let him. I mean, the secret's out, right? The reason why I talk to the sink at night, and take really long showers, and get so passionate about the lake! Like, he gets that. But he gave it back a few days later, and I hid it under the bed.

And... now it's gone... again. Way to go Shanie, you did it again! Ugh. Maybe Geoff--Mr. Pauling--sorry, he used to just be Mr. Pauling, but he insists that I call him Geoff when we're not at school, and like I know him and his friends call him Geoff, but they're so ewww, and all of my friends call him Mr. Pauling which is how I always knew him, but either way they both just, ahmm-hmhmhmm... Is this weird? Is what I'm doing right now weird? Sorry.

I was gonna say, Mr. Pauling probably knows where to look. Bleh.

Double May Care fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Jan 11, 2017

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

LifeGetsWorser posted:

Daisy
I get this is a touchy subject but - how long were you...uhm...away? Are your parents still in town somewhere? Is anyone from before? Have you tried reaching out to anybody, if they are? Even the people who might've...you know...killed you?

You can say it. How long was I dead is what you mean. Truth is, I'm not entirely sure time seems to move a little different for me now. If I don't have something to focus on I just sorta lose track and the years drift on by. I'll be doing fine for a bit and then it'll hit me. I'll remember the knives, how they glinted in the firelight. I remember screaming for help for mercy, for forgiveness. I'll remember the agonising pain as they stabbed into me. THEY TOOK MY LIFE MY FUTURE FROM ME!

Sorry.. it's not your fault. I-I just lose control and when I snap back into reality it's hard to tell how much time has passed. If I had to guess I'd say about what fifty-sixty years. It was after the war I remember that much. So I'm guessing at least some of my fellow students are the children or grandchildren of my tormentors. Which is a real scary thought when I think how much I've missed. How much of my life I never got to live. I'm not even sure why I'm still around. Shouldn't I have ended up heaven or even the other place. Unless this is the other place.

As for my parents. Well I guess they're probably dead themselves by now. I mean it's hard to imagine them surviving that long otherwise. I miss them I really do. Not long after I died when I found our house taken over by someone else I was determined to track them down to find out what happened to them. We have? had? family in Chicago so I was gonna hitch-hike there and see if I could track them down that way. I remember I made it as far as the interstate outside of town I managed to flag down a car and hop in. It was so warm and peaceful in there I uhh fell asleep. Next thing I knew I woke up and was back in the middle of town. Seems I can't leave without snapping right back here.

From before? Quite possibly I mean there's a lot of old people around the town who could be some of my former classmates I guess. I haven't recognised any of them but after however long it's been would I? They've moved on they probably don't even remember me at all. People barely paid attention to me when I was alive so it wouldn't be that much of a shock that they forgot about me as soon as I was dead.

The only one I recognise really is Judith Walters Although she must have been married because she's calling herself Mrs Forester now. She had been one of Jackies closest friends and I bet she wielded the knife that day. Of course I wouldn't have thought she ended up being a teacher of all things she never seemed the most studious of pupils when I was there. But I guess people who are not me change over time. Now she's the vice-principal of our old school and up for retirement in a couple of years. I wonder what people would say if they knew what a heartless murdering bitch she was. I don't think she recognises me although I did catch her looking at me curiously the other day in a school assembly. Still she hasn't said anything and I'm not sure I could get away with publicly accusing her without proof and proof would be hard to find after all this time. Still maybe I can still come up with some way to get my revenge....

Green Bean
May 3, 2009

LifeGetsWorser posted:

Noel
Has anyone else ever caught on to Leon, at all? Or well, that you're not exactly alone?

Only two people at this point. The first was, well, after I stopped hanging out with Charlie, I withdrew, cut myself off from everyone. I didn't talk to anyone at school, didn't raise my hand in class, started eating lunch on the grounds where no one else would be around. I even timed getting home so my mom would already have left for her night shift. I'd have entire multi-day stretches where I literally never spoke to another person, it was just me and Leon. It was stupid, because my mom's not an idiot and she noticed pretty quick what I was doing. For my trouble, I got my mom watching me much closer and a referral for a therapist.

Dr. Alvaro was a nice lady, but Leon's not something you can just fix. I tried to make it sound like it was just a delayed grief thing because of my dad, but I'm not exactly a master of deception, and three hours a week of nothing but talking about myself, I was bound to slip up. She started asking questions about whether I was in any toxic relationships, if I was experiencing a lot of fear, even some stuff about repressed emotional energies. I think Leon was visiting her towards the end, because she started to seem more tired, and her questions kept getting more pointed. In the end, though, I'd wised up and started hanging out with other people at school, even participated in class every so often. It looked like a healthy social life from the outside, and therapy is expensive, so I convinced my mom that I was better and she stopped making me go. It still feels like I dodged a bullet.

The second person is a little more complicated. <This will be a PC>

quote:

Do you think if Annie was able to quiet things down that you might've been purposely kept away from her before the party?

I didn't think that before you asked that question... It's definitely a possibility, but I'm a bit sceptical. Leon, for all the stuff he does, isn't that subtle. If he thinks something or someone is a threat to me or himself, he'll tell me to stay away, or he'd just go after them. If Leon didn't want me to meet Annie at the party, he'd just tell me not to go. I'd have just faked sick or something; I've learned the consequences of not listening to him.

Unless you mean maybe Annie was avoiding me? That's a possibility, if she noticed Leon somehow and didn't want to approach me until she knew how to deal with him.

quote:

Is Leon really capable of murder?

I-I don't know. I wouldn't have thought so before. He's endangered other people's lives before, like with Charlie's little sister, but I didn't think he'd ever deliberately set out to kill someone. But, you didn't hear him the morning after the party. He didn't know what had happened, where he'd been. He was terrified, confused, angry. He made me go over every second of time I spent with Annie that night - I still have the marks he gave me from when my memory was too fuzzy. He was like a cornered animal those nights, and I don't know what he gets up to when I'm sleeping.

You useless sack of poo poo - I live for you, and you just let that witch throw me away? I'll still forgive you, though, because I love you. I'll always love you, Noel.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Theresa Pilgrim, the Fates

This is the year it all comes together. This is the year it all falls apart.

That's what they tell me, anyway -- the voices. They tell me they're me from... the future? Different timelines? I'm not even sure they're sure. All I know is that they tell me things. Tell me they know better than me, that they're going to get me through this year, because this is the year that my entire future depends on. There's the one who calls herself "Mama Tess," who says she's from about thirty years down the line and that she's going to take care of me --

(Oh, sweetie, you know I will. We're doing this right this time. I know who's going to hurt you and who's going to love you, and we're gonna make sure they all get what they deserve. I remember these years. I'm not going to let us be hurt again.)

... and then there's, um, The Pilgrim? Who's older, and kind of quieter, and...

(... and ready to be done with this. You can make a lot of mistakes in 77 years, child, and they all start here. You're not going to make my mistakes again, even if it kills me. Nobody'll miss me. You aren't going to be me.)

Look, I may be crazy, but I'm not stupid, okay? I thought it was schizophrenia. I was working up the nerve to tell Mom and Dad and my guidance counselor, last spring, and then the Pilgrim told me not to get a ride home with Stan Donahue after Symphony practice, because he was stoned as Hell and the cops were going to find the stash in his trunk that night. That one could have been a lucky guess, because everyone knew Stan was stoned and had a stash, but... he wasn't in school the next day. Then Mama Tess gave me answers on my History final -- essay answers, from stuff I knew I hadn't managed to study, the stuff in the last chapters of the book that we didn't even get around to doing in class but Mr. Weathers didn't take off the final. And then... they both told me to go to Annie Harris's party.

Annie showed us. Magic is real. My voices are real. And now Annie's dead and what am I supposed to do?

I was supposed to be getting ready for college this year. I had so much on my plate. And now I've got more, and while Mom and Dad are telling me to write my essays, my head's screaming that I need to do something or I'm going to be the next one wrapped in plastic in the lake... and now someone else knows, and, and, and...

What do I do? How do I know the future and not know what I'm supposed to do?!

quote:

The Fates
Look: Distracted, wide eyes
Origin: voices in the head

Hot 0 (+1 Maiden, -1 Mother/Crone)
Cold 0 (+1 Crone, -1 Maiden/Mother)
Volatile 0 (+1 Mother, -1 Maiden/Crone)
Dark 2

Moves:

The Tangled Skein
You have three aspects. Each aspect provides a bonus to one Stat and a penalty to two others. You are always in one of three aspects. At the beginning of the game, you can choose which aspect you are currently in. Many Fates moves will tell you to change aspects, but you can only change aspects once per scene.

* The Maiden - You gain +1 Hot, but -1 Volatile and Cold while in this aspect. When you follow your passions regardless of propriety or tact for yourself or others, change aspects.
* The Mother - You gain +1 Volatile, but 1 Hot and Cold while in this aspect. When you harm those that have harmed someone or something you love, change aspects.
* The Crone - You gain +1 Cold, but -1 Hot and Volatile while in this aspect. When you break a longstanding bond or ruin a relationship or friendship, change aspects.

Changing aspects follows a progression: The Mother follows the Maiden, the Crone follows the Mother, and the Maiden follows the Crone.

Washer at the Ford
When you gaze into the abyss to learn about someone, add the following option to the 10 and up list: "the visions show you their fate. You give them the Doomed condition and change aspects." Add the following to the 7-9 list: "the visions show you a glimpse of fate. Change aspects."

A Feast For Crows
When you change aspects, you gain a benefit: when you become the Maiden, you may remove a Condition; when you become the Mother, heal 1 Harm; when you become the Crone, mark experience.

Backstory
Someone has relied on your advice and warnings. Gain 2 strings on them.

Your fatalism and dire prognostications have irked some people. One someone gains 2 strings on you, or two someones gain 1 string on you each.

Darkest Self
For too long everyone has ignored your warnings and avoided the futures that you have foreseen and which were due them. No longer can they be allowed to shirk their fated moments. You will guide the hand of destiny yourself and cut those threads that have grown beyond their ordained length, so that no one will think themselves above the order of things ever again. You escape your Darkest Self when you have changed your aspects three times, or when someone proves to you definitively that their fate can be avoided or ignored.

Sex Move
When you lay with another, you gain a glimpse of their destiny. You change aspects and give them the Doomed Romance condition. When someone who already has the Doomed Romance condition sleeps with someone other than you who doesn’t have it, they lose the condition and the person they slept with gains it instead. Doomed Romance counts as Doomed for all Fates moves.

Questions:

quote:

Okay, do you remember that coffee shop that used to be on the corner of Main and University? Grounds To Celebrate? That place always did a ton of business, but one day it just shut down, and nobody was sure why. I heard someone talking about a drug bust or something? That the building was condemned? That's not the weird part. Nobody's torn it down the building or built anything new, which is maybe a little weirder, but...

The really weird thing is that I think it's still open, just... at night. The night I didn't get a ride from Stan Donahue, I was walking home and it was pretty late, and I saw that there were lights on in there. It looked like the windows were clear, too, even though they're boarded up in the day. There were definitely people in there, or shadows of people. I came back there the next day after school, to see if they were doing something new with the building, but no, just boards and graffiti. Old graffiti. What's going on there?

quote:

I have this friend, Joel Golden -- well, I think he's my friend, but he's kind of everybody's friend? Joel just kind of goes wherever he wants, and everyone's cool with him being there, even if he really shouldn't be or he doesn't know anyone there. Like, he goes to all the football and basketball after-parties even though he's about 5'4" and has asthma and doesn't do any sports, and sometimes he hangs out with the hardcore evangelical Christian kids even though I know for a fact he's Reform Jewish and thinks the whole Jesus thing is really weird. And they don't even try to convert him or anything? He's just... allowed, wherever he is. I've even seen him walking out ofthe teacher's lounge a couple times, smoking one of those stanky menthols that Mrs. Larsen always has on her. How does he get away with that?

quote:

I'll be honest. I didn't really know Annie Harris that well? She was kind of more in the sports and party crowd, and I've always been more kind of... Symphony and Quiz Bowl and AP classes. I mean, she always seemed really nice, but... I was surprised I even got an invitation to the party, really, because I didn't think she knew I existed.

... She saw them, didn't she? Or saw whatever it is about me that made them show up. That's all I can think. oh god.

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage

LifeGetsWorser posted:

Aidan
So is everyone in your family unicorns or is it just you? If the latter, how'd you learn about your heritage? What's the worst spot in Oak Shore as far as the whole "murdering magic" thing goes? Why's that?

My mom was. Don't misunderstand, she's not dead or anything. She's perfectly healthy. We're even going on a hike out in the woods later on today. The thing about being a unicorn is, uh, it's kind of something that's passed down from parent to child. A role, a title, a mission. Less something physical, more something spiritual. I don't secretly have hooves or anything. Well, I guess that's not entirely accurate. There's some physical stuff too.

The myths aren't all wrong. It really doesn't seem hygienic at all, but if I touch something -- or someone -- that's sick with my hair... well, they get better. That's magic for you. Weird, but beautiful in its own way. It's why I keep my hair like this. It'd be a little awkward to explain why I brushed by some kid at school and their case of mono suddenly vanished between periods. Brings the wrong kind of attention. The kind from... them.

I wish Mom was telling you about this -- she can explain it all way better. She was one for far longer than I've been. Decades. Maybe longer. Longer than I'll ever be, at any rate. I mean, there's really only one way that I'll live past the death of magic. I'd have to have a kid of my own. Pass the gift along. They wouldn't survive, but I would. What kind of person could do that?

I want to say that I never would. That I'll never be tempted. That the terror of death won't drive me to do something terrible. But that would be a lie, now wouldn't it?

Sorry about that. I try not to think about the end too much, but I'm in a bit of a weird mood. I was walking back from school and I cut too close to the mall. That would be fine normally, though quite unpleasant, but I walked by the end with the Macy's. It just... ugh. It felt like I was being covered in raw sewage. I don't know why exactly, but it's not just because it's a shrine to conspicuous consumption. Not that it helps. J.C. Penney doesn't give me a migrane and a nosebleed if I look at it, you know? There's something else going on there. Something bad.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

LifeGetsWorser posted:

Nicole
So other than the Judge - have you met any other...er...forest entities? Or anything like that?

Depends on your definition of 'met'. Even once I'd given up on finding the Judge again I still spent time in the woods and after a few months I began to hearing voices. Sometimes they were cheerful and laughing, other times sobs. They always sounded like children. But no matter how hard I looked I never could actually find the source to these voices. I'm not sure if they were somehow invisible or just enjoyed hiding from me.

Either way I prefer to avoid the woods these days. Obnoxious little pricks...

quote:

The first time you had to "take care" of a liar or a cheat - how'd you do it? What was the fallout from it?

At first I didn't pay that part of what the Judge said much mind. But a few weeks after that little adventure while I was in the school bathroom I heard a girl in my science class, Maria Alvarez, practically bragging to a friend of hers about cheating on her boyfriend. Suddenly I felt this pit in my stomach. It definitely wasn't a normal human reaction, it was a feeling I'd never felt before in my life. Someone was being dishonest in a major way and it had to be made right.

At the end of that schoolday I followed Maria and her friends as they walked home. Once she'd separated from her last friend I confronted her without any kind of plan. "Tell him! Tell him what you're doing behind his back!" Naturally she got defensive and started calling me a crazy bitch. Before I knew what I was doing I grabbed Maria by the hair and pushed her to the ground, still shouting "Tell him!" over and over. Once the initial shock wore off she looked terrified at me and started crying, finally promising she'd tell her boyfriend everything. The feeling in my stomach disappeared once she promised and so did all my anger. I felt...cold, but in a good way. I leaned down and told Maria I'd come back if she broke her promise. Fortunately she didn't and she's steered as clear from me as she possibly can while still being in the same school as me.

There's only been a few incidents like that so far. I don't know if I've just been better at controlling myself or if there are less people who the Judge would consider liars or cheats. Another thing to ask him one day.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

LifeGetsWorser posted:

So what was it that alerted you to the supernatural occurrences in Oak Creek? How'd you deal with that first time?

That time. So, a while back (quite a while actually), Cecilia Linna's grandfather moves into town. It's kind of small - we tend to notice new people here. Anyway, he seemed to get on with everyone just fine. But (there's always one of these, isn't there?) I started noticing something with Cecilia. She got tired a lot more. Started taking time off school for being sick. And it wasn't just her - it was her family. Including her new brother.

Everyone except the grandfather.

Now that's not too suspicious right? Maybe some luck on his part. But one time I came by her house to drop off some homework. Might as well help her stay on top of things until she got better right? The door was open, which took me a moment to notice. And then I saw her grandfather. Holding the baby, and his mouth was open. So, so wide. A ring of sharp teeth encircled it, fangs all ready to bite. But he was inhaling something from the baby, drawing some kind of mist or something into that pit instead of biting down.

My mistake was going "loving poo poo" and getting his attention. He almost dropped the baby, but came right at me. I dropped the homework and ran. I just ran the hardest I possibly could. I got away obviously, but then I start thinking. Had Cecilia ever mentioned a grandfather before? No...but maybe it just never came up? Pretty likely. But I also thought about what I had seen. No one would believe me. And so I went into the kitchen of my house, took a knife, and walked right back to her house.

I think I lucked out - the grandfather hadn't done anything else. Maybe he thought I'd contact the police and tell them something. I didn't. Instead I walked in, and as he came at me again I took the knife out and jammed it into his neck. I didn't realize it, but when horrible black fluid came out I was so relieved. Part of me wondered if I had somehow hallucinated or saw something that wasn't there or what. But he screeched. Not yelled or screamed. Screeched. I took the knife out and stabbed him about where the heart would be on a human. He fell over. It was done. I had killed someone. Or something? But I had to right? To save this baby, who probably would have died. And then it came to me - how would this look? I quickly glanced around, saw the entrance to a garage, and managed to grab a shovel. I grabbed a giant trash bag, shoved his body into it, wiped away as much of the fluid as I could, and put the trash bag into the trunk of my car.

Then I drove out, far away from where people lived. I found, in the woods, an area with soil that could be dug easily. And I dug. When I was done, I put him, or it, in there and covered it up. Then I drove back.

It turned out I was right. No one ever brought up that Cecilia's grandfather just left. Her family got better real quickly. And when I asked about him, she told me that he had died a long time ago and certainly hadn't lived with them. So whatever it was, it used that family to get...whatever it wanted. Who knows. I didn't lose any sleep over killing something like that. The worry about what I'd gotten into or getting caught? That was where some sleepless nights came in.

But like I said earlier - I knew there were strange things going on. If I hadn't been there, what would have happened to Cecilia? Her brother? Her family? So I started keeping an eye and an ear out for anything weird going on. And when it does show up, that's when I start looking into what's going on. And when I find something like Cecilia's "grandfather", something that wants to hurt ordinary people with no way of defending themselves? I do what it takes to stop them.

LifeGetsWorser posted:

What do your parents think about the odd hours you keep? Do you think they've caught on at all?

The good thing is, both of them are kind of busy. Dad's a doctor, mom's a nurse at the hospital. So I can get away with most of what I have to do. Sometimes I have to sneak in and out of the house, but I think even if they knew they'd probably think it was just me going to hang out in some normal situation. Maybe not be happy with it, but they wouldn't know the truth.

As long as things stay fine at home and and school, they figure it's all right. So I just need to keep my grades at an okay level and everything will be fine. If those started slipping...well they wouldn't know the real reason. But it'd get their attention and I can't afford that. I don't think they'd believe me and if they found out even some of what I've done - it'd be over. So I keep them in the dark. So far it's working.

Tricky Dick Nixon
Jul 26, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

LifeGetsWorser posted:

June
So uh...when you say cult - or scratch that, when you say your blood - what are you even talking about? How'd you end up with your gifts, anyway? Is it inborn or did something...occur? What exactly are the effects of the...uh...communion?

First off, say what you mean, how you mean it. This little innocent act you're pulling might work for the others, but it doesn't work on me, and it didn't work for Annie.

Also, "cult" is your word, not mine. My Word is something very different. Let's get that straight. It's something that's experienced, not discussed. I meant the offer. You can come see it at the flagpole every morning. We share. We let ourselves be honest with each other. There's a lot of people who think they are being real by standing aside, but you're never honest with just yourself. People lie to themselves the most of all, it takes someone else, another's eye to keep you really real. When we show up on Monday color coordinated basic bitch regalia, we at least know exactly who we are. At least, that's what I give people. it's certainly realer than your side-fade counter-culture bullshit.

They are still themselves, I promise. You can still be yourself. I'm not replacing people. I'm making them better. But that isn't what you're asking is it? The blood... Faith isn't given or learned, you come to it yourself. I can't give it to you. It takes a holy life. It takes emotions, it takes dedication. It takes a death... I can give you unspoken words that aren't in the Bible, but they do clarify what's in it. I'm not gonna share that, not yet, until it's time. You first have to come to the flagpole, and actually meet these people, before I can trust you with it.

As for where this came from. I guess I do come by it naturally. Just like Mom, but she's gone. We both fell from the same tree, you could say. Like I told you, though, I didn't come from someplace all that interesting. I'm not special, no more than Annie was, save in the eyes of the Other. Yeah, that's what I want. To be Queen, and let everyone share in something special.

Does it really matter if it's a gift or a curse?

Is it really any different than Eve eating the fruit?

You have to eat it all. Seeds too.

Tricky Dick Nixon fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Jan 11, 2017

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

LifeGetsWorser posted:

Lyra
What's your favorite play? Why? Which character do you identify with the most out of it?

Oh that's a difficult one to answer. Buuuut if I had to give one now, it'd probably be Coriolanus. The things that link the pair of us together are far too many to ever list in a succinct manner, but suffice to say that I can empathize with one being torn down at the apogee of their life, the peak of their greatness! And then, to be further betrayed by those who should, by all that is just and good, should have most supported his most noble and righteous revenge, to be mislead into forgiveness and thereby misled into signing his own death. Oh... poor, noble, Coriolanus.

quote:

Also, is this the first time you have felt the sting of Cupid's Arrow or has there been any others? If so, what happened to them?
No, I am disheartened to admit that this is not the first time that I have felt the bite of Eros'... and unfortunately it seems that it will not be the last. For you see, it seems that I was mistaken in the identity of the sender of The Message, I have since spied him in the cafeteria... and he was talking with another girl! Several of them, in fact! Oh, it's just like that time with Matti... or Jeremy... or Markus... or Ashton... or Doug... or Peter... maybe it's not just like the time with Joel, it does share some similarities. Someday I will find my Romeo and we''ll be happy together... forever.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

LifeGetsWorser posted:

Zoe
Just wondering - have you ever met anyone else like you? Or are you unique, as far as you're aware?

There's no one like me. Not even Annie, since she turned out to probably be cheating at the whole "perfectly balancing everything in life" thing with her magic.

To be clear, I'm the one that made the deal with my parents. I don't remember much about the Outside, though. So, if you're asking if there's another being from Outside that made a deal with some heartbroken parents... then, maybe? There isn't really a meet and greet when we get over here, though.

But, if I was gonna guess that anyone at school had similar circumstances... I mean, no one's as good as me, but maybe Peter Lynne? He's at the top of his class, which is Junior, thankfully. Less competition that way. He's also a star receiver, is chairing the homecoming committee, and is the lead in the school play. It's really weird, though, since outside of classes he always seems as dumb as a post. Some teachers are convinced he's cheating on tests, but they've never managed to catch him.

quote:

Do you ever get to do anything for fun at all, or is it always work work work?

...Ok, I swear, if you tell my parents about this, I'll make it my life's mission to make you regret it.

Sometimes, I don't go to the coffee shop to study between school and cheer practice. Sometimes I sneak out after my "bedtime" of 10:30 PM. (They know I never go to sleep then, but I'm usually up late studying or doing homework for the next few days.) Instead, sometimes, I go to the park, wander far off the trails, and... um... smoke... marijuana, ok?

Don't look at me like that! I'm always running on top gear, and sometimes even I have to take a just a little time to not flame out! It's not that I can't keep working like that; it's that this stupid body can't always keep up. Honestly, breaks like that let me work harder on average, but my parents won't see it that way. So... I have to keep it quiet, and now, so do you.

Or else!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?
e: withdrawing this app because you have like two dozen loving things apped already!

Robodog fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Jan 17, 2017

• Locked thread