Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Black_Nexus
Mar 15, 2007

Nurgle loves ya

The Sex Cannon posted:

Cross post!

6 down, 10 to go!

drat nice yellow orcs!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Warhammer Community put up a preview of the new Warhammer Quest earlier: https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/02/16/unboxing-the-new-warhammer-quest/

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

SteelMentor posted:

Warhammer Community put up a preview of the new Warhammer Quest earlier: https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/02/16/unboxing-the-new-warhammer-quest/

Yeah, I just got a newsletter. Not really sure how I feel about this one. The bad guys seem a lot less interesting than the Silver Tower characters when considered in isolation, and then the 10 kairic acolytes don't really seem that great for someone who already owns Silver Tower. Having models from three different subfactions is also a lot less convenient for the purpose of using the box as a starting point for an AoS warband. Maybe they have rules for miniatures outside of just what is included in the box?

They are also adding a GM. From what I can tell based on the reported sales response to the app for Descent and the various fan made automation solutions for Imperial Assault, I think that might reduce its appeal.

Personally, I was hoping this would come with new Undead models that would eventually get a battletome for AoS, similar to the Tzeentch Disciples.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
Skellingtons are perfect as they are right now!

But yeah, the pack is kinda boring.

On the other hand, Silver tower had miniatures of questionable use, too, namely the skutlings

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

fozzy fosbourne posted:

They are also adding a GM. From what I can tell based on the reported sales response to the app for Descent and the various fan made automation solutions for Imperial Assault, I think that might reduce its appeal.

Yeah, this will hurt it significantly. Co-op is where it's at.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

The problem with GM mimiature games is that you always need that one extra player who won't be having Stortrooprr shooting fun.

Shadin
Jun 28, 2009
I could've done without the addition of a GM for sure. Some people really like the mechanic though, my friend loves being the Overlord in Descent way more than being a hero. However, playing coop with the wife is probably 95% of my gaming nowadays.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Yeah, this. "Can I play this with my girlfriend only" is a major concern when buying "board games" and board games.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

"...c-can I play it solo?" :smith:

(my chances of getting my wife to play a boardgame with me died the day I introduced her to dungeonquest 8 years ago :v:)

fake edit: on the plus side, my kids are growing up, so I'm sure it won't be long before we can sit down and have a proper dungeon crawling session on a rainy Sunday afternoon

Shadin
Jun 28, 2009

enri posted:

"...c-can I play it solo?" :smith:

(my chances of getting my wife to play a boardgame with me died the day I introduced her to dungeonquest 8 years ago :v:)

fake edit: on the plus side, my kids are growing up, so I'm sure it won't be long before we can sit down and have a proper dungeon crawling session on a rainy Sunday afternoon

My only regret not having children is I never got to basically farm raise my own captive D&D group.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Shadin posted:

My only regret not having children is I never got to basically farm raise my own captive D&D group.

There's always adoption or fostering.

"Mr. Shadin, can you tell me why the foster situation didn't work out?"
"He said he wanted to play a Paladin, but would never actually role play as true Lawful-Good! Oh, and he touched my dice. You never touch another man's dice."

But, in seriousness, I'm in the same boat. I've got nobody to force my nerdy stuff upon. :(

Shadin
Jun 28, 2009

berzerkmonkey posted:

There's always adoption or fostering.

"Mr. Shadin, can you tell me why the foster situation didn't work out?"
"He said he wanted to play a Paladin, but would never actually role play as true Lawful-Good! Oh, and he touched my dice. You never touch another man's dice."

But, in seriousness, I'm in the same boat. I've got nobody to force my nerdy stuff upon. :(

Haha!

"I'm returning this kid. He's a powergaming little min-maxing poo poo, he doesn't even roleplay the character. Also he showed up with a character he made on his own that's a custom race so you knew things were downhill from there."

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
Morg N' Thorg is up for pre-order - 20 GBP / 25 USD.

I wasn't a fan of the face, but the bare resin looks fine to me, so there is something about the paint job that isn't working for me, though I'm not sure what that might be. Definitely has the old-school GW Ogre look though, which I appreciate. I do not like the current "fat Mongolian" Ogre Kingdoms line.

Oh, and 20 pieces, so I assume each armor plate and spike is a different bit.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

£20 is shockingly reasonable for an Ogre character considering the other stars are £18 and main GW's Ogre characters are £23. Tempted to pick him up as a replacement leader for my ex-BB team Ogre unit in my DOW army.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Hopefully the ball is a separate piece from the hand. They looks rough, like he's dribbling it or something.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

DOW?

E: by the time I have chilluns of gameable age, hams will have good rules for TT.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
You have a dogs of war army? I thought that got abandoned about 15 years ago.

edit - poo poo, I can remember them having rules for the paymaster's money chest that inspired everyone nearby but could cause a total rout if it got "killed". That was fun.

goatface fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Feb 17, 2017

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Hopefully the ball is a separate piece from the hand. They looks rough, like he's dribbling it or something.

If you look at the closeups, it looks like he has magnetic fingertips or something. Zug came with the hand options, so hopefully all of the star players will as well.

Speaking of star players, if anyone has access to Warhammer World, I'd really like to get the Grak & Crumbleberry duo...

berzerkmonkey fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Feb 17, 2017

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

berzerkmonkey posted:

If you look at the closeups, it looks like he has magnetic fingertips or something. Zug came with the hand options, so hopefully all of the star players will as well.

Speaking of star players, if anyone has access to Warhammer World, I'd really like to get the Grak & Crumbleberry duo...

I'm really bummed that GW didn't just give all the players a little pilot hole so you could magnetize them easily. It seems like it would add a lot to the game.

I'm thinking about drilling holes on my guys but I'm worried I'll foul it up bad.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

goatface posted:

You have a dogs of war army? I thought that got abandoned about 15 years ago.

edit - poo poo, I can remember them having rules for the paymaster's money chest that inspired everyone nearby but could cause a total rout if it got "killed". That was fun.

Yup, DOW best army even though they never got an official update after 6th. Mostly being used for assorted KOW forces now. I have a bunch of old rear end pics of most of them on the DOW online forum - http://www.dogsofwaronline.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=1221 - I keep meaning to get around to taking better pics and hosting them on my proper gallery.

Shadin
Jun 28, 2009
While I'm not really a fan, it looks like Talisman is the first FFG printed product that will be getting the in-house treatment:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/02/19/talisman-update/

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
BB releases next week:
Blood Bowl Ogre: $18
Blood Bowl Team – Reikland Reavers: $35

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Got my first/first league game.

My orks vs. Dark elves

How bad was it?

Well, it was his fist game in the league and three of his players leveled up.

susan
Jan 14, 2013

JcDent posted:

Got my first/first league game.

My orks vs. Dark elves

How bad was it?

Well, it was his fist game in the league and three of his players leveled up.

*nods* I sympathize. Got a screenshot of my first league game below. Note the lack of players knocked out. They all just wanted to skip straight into Serious Injury/Dead.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

susan posted:

*nods* I sympathize. Got a screenshot of my first league game below. Note the lack of players knocked out. They all just wanted to skip straight into Serious Injury/Dead.

Hey, btw you used the wrong link for image tags. Here it is though, for anyone else wanting to view it:

And that's some pretty bad luck - very similar to my own luck in Mordheim, in fact! :v:
Speaking of Bloodbowl though, I'll try and remember to get a photo of a friend of mine's recently-built BB table/board. It's amazing quality, and didn't even take him that long to construct either, from memory.

Irate Tree
Mar 12, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Don't know if this is the right place to ask but; has anyone played Gangs of Commorragh? How does it play?
I was trying to find some vids on youtube and the only two I found, that had gameplay, were dull as hell to listen to.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

New BB Ogre is up for preorder, at a shockingly reasonable £12 - https://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/Blood-Bowl-Ogre (or £9 from Asgard this weekend - http://www.asgardwargames.co.uk/pre-orders/games-workshop/ )

Also the humans, but they're just the ones from the main box in grey plastic.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
That ogre is really cool. It's almost enough to make me want to pick up a human team. It's a shame the models in the box were so lacking in variety of poses.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Any of you lot have experience with the latest book of LoTR/Hobbit game? Specifically, does it give anything for Harad, Umbar and other super cool human nations?

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Zark the Damned posted:

New BB Ogre is up for preorder, at a shockingly reasonable £12 - https://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/Blood-Bowl-Ogre (or £9 from Asgard this weekend - http://www.asgardwargames.co.uk/pre-orders/games-workshop/ )

Also the humans, but they're just the ones from the main box in grey plastic.

Not a fan of that Ogre. The face is a little too realistic. I like my fantasy football monster men to look a little more like a caricature of a big mean muscle head rather than that thing.

It's well sculpted. It just not my preferred aesthetic.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

JcDent posted:

Any of you lot have experience with the latest book of LoTR/Hobbit game? Specifically, does it give anything for Harad, Umbar and other super cool human nations?

I have the book and can look for you. I don't think it contains any new lists or options for the nations/factions that weren't depicted in the Hobbit Movies. It does present a new edition of the core game however including things like specific weapon rules (e.g. Sword, Axe, Mace and so on) and I think there's some revision to the Monsters rules allowing for Heroic monsters or something like that?

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Well, if you could point out which army lists it has, it would be nice.
It's pity if it's just Ahzog vs. Hobbits, I want my Easterlings :(

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

That ogre is really cool. It's almost enough to make me want to pick up a human team. It's a shame the models in the box were so lacking in variety of poses.

I thought ogres could play for a couple of different teams, that's why its one of the few big guys they're doing in plastic.

Irate Tree posted:

Don't know if this is the right place to ask but; has anyone played Gangs of Commorragh? How does it play?
I was trying to find some vids on youtube and the only two I found, that had gameplay, were dull as hell to listen to.

Play pretty good, all rolls are done with 2d6 for greater stat variation and instead of rolling to wound after a successful hit you roll to kill. If you succeed the model is dead and removed, if you fail it takes a wound. Models don't have a max wound stat but for every wound they have they get -1 to pilot rolls and +1 to your opponents kill rolls. Makes it a faster, deadlier game without the 'we rolled all these dice and nothing happened' that 40k has.

Macdeo Lurjtux fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Feb 26, 2017

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Indolent Bastard posted:

Not a fan of that Ogre. The face is a little too realistic. I like my fantasy football monster men to look a little more like a caricature of a big mean muscle head rather than that thing.

It's well sculpted. It just not my preferred aesthetic.

Same. I'm not really a fan of Big Guys in BB anyways though so that just saves me the impulse buy.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

I thought ogres could play for a couple of different teams, that's why its one of the few big guys they're doing in plastic.

Play pretty good, all rolls are done with 2d6 for greater stat variation and instead of rolling to wound after a successful hit you roll to kill. If you succeed the model is dead and removed, if you fail it takes a wound. Models don't have a max wound stat but for every wound they have they get -1 to pilot rolls and +1 to your opponents kill rolls. Makes it a faster, deadlier game without the 'we rolled all these dice and nothing happened' that 40k has.

This sounds promising. A cool concept for future games to make use of.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Wouldn't surprise me if some of the design for GoC was a test-run for updating Necromunda/Mordheim.

Having the murderpack mechanic/individual dudes having a price thing really helps prevent snowballing.

Irate Tree
Mar 12, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Thanks for the response!
That does sound pretty neat. What about the maneuvering, does it handle well in the game?

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
What are the thoughts on BFG Armada on Steam? It's 50% off for the next few days, but reviews are saying it's a buggy mess that crashes often. I'm not in it for the multiplayer (which appears to be dead anyway) and only care about the single player aspects. Is it worth the $20? Or $30 with the DLC?

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Didn't seem buggy or crashy to me. As for the campaign... I never really got into it, since my inability to win made it hard for me to enjoy it. Best get some serious practice against bots.

It looks well, at the very least.

ED:

Some steam review posted:

Its graphics are beutiful, the combat is epic and the ships look beutiful. The leveling system for you ships is so satsifying - BUT - it went little further than that. I feel they did not comunicate with teh fan base as well as they could have. Battlefleet Gothic feels more like Task group 456789B - Skirmish - rather than BATTLEFLEET! The battles are small, repetative and short. The Micro doesnt let you really enjoy the vibrancy and beuty of the game and the fleets are too small to be impressive. In teh end this game came so close to glory and yet so far. Its worth 10-15 dollars - so wait for a sale.

It's basically the truth. The battles are really too micro intensive and fast paced for you to enjoy them vs. something like Nexus: Jupiter Incident. Maybe bigger fleets and some sort of simultaneous turn based combat thing would have been better in a fully 3D map.

Micro is especially intensive for Eldar, since it's up to you to keep them moving, because they die if you don't move them.

More ed:

I enjoyed the battles in Flotilla a lot more than in BFG, even if BFG has some bitching Imperial ships.

JcDent fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Mar 1, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

berzerkmonkey posted:

What are the thoughts on BFG Armada on Steam? It's 50% off for the next few days, but reviews are saying it's a buggy mess that crashes often. I'm not in it for the multiplayer (which appears to be dead anyway) and only care about the single player aspects. Is it worth the $20? Or $30 with the DLC?

$20 sounds fair to me. Its a very very unique sort of RTS that really gives you a very "age of sail" feeling. The controls are very well done and very unique, unlike anything I"ve seen in any other RTS. Its also very focused, since there's no base building, and you maintain your units through battles who level up with RPG stats. You actually care about your ships, and losing them hurts, like when a star player dies in bloodbowl.

The single player campaign is pretty well done and polished, but its only for Imperial Navy, so know that going in.

You can skirmish against AIs as any of the playable factions and its pretty fun. The game does feel a bit thin without multiplayer, but multi is very competitive and I was never good so I didn't do much of that. Still, even without multi, I think $20 is pretty fair. Ultimately though you have to judge for yourself, because different goons have different amounts of disposable income, you know.