Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

Dreadwroth posted:

I like how they based so many games on Necromunda's ruleset, it shows how good it actually was possibly in spite of GW.

Like this chap said...

Roller Coast Guard posted:

2nd Edition 40k stripped back to basics without any of the bloated nonsense that accompanied it.

I think the 2nd ed 40k rules working ok for skirmish size games is a happy accident for GW, because they were loving terrible for 40k :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

enri
Dec 16, 2003

JcDent posted:

Mordheim guys making Necromunda? Prepare for gang advancements so incremental they might as well not be there.

Also skirmish game in built up environment? Why not infinity? Better miniatures than Mantic and the fluff is maybe somewhat less boring.

As I have probably said, I have no loyalty to 40K rulesets and I'd play anything that does Marines better.

I've not played the recent mordheim game, but is this more because the mordheim roster differs to the necromunda one in that you have henchmen who don't skill up as quickly as the 'heroes' anyway? Necromunda in comparison to Mordheim was basically 'everyone is a hero and gets skill points'

On that note:

http://cockeddice.blogspot.co.uk/2017/01/34-year-old-man-realises-nothing-will.html

:v:

enri
Dec 16, 2003

I keep seeing Inq28 stuff popping up on twitter, I'm unlikely to convince my regular gaming friends to give anything as open ended as that a go (though I might be pleasantly surprised, I'll try perhaps as some of them do have a bit of roleplaying experience) but it is giving me a pretty big and bad hobby itch, I'm kinda tired of the games I'm playing not having much in the way of room for maneuver as far as modelling / creativity is concerned... so a 3-5 model 40k warband is right up my street. Even just as a modelling project.... off to ebay I go for OOP bits and pieces then.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

I just want an excuse to convert a bunch of cool poo poo with a nice theme and no real reason beyond "it looks kinda cool and fun to do" :(

I looked through the inquisitor rules years back and it blew my tiny little mind, but I don't really 'do' RPG stuff and it seemed to lean quite heavily in that direction so I avoided it like the plague.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Yea, been there and done that a hundred times over. This is purely born from a phase of my hobby that I'm going to artfully dub "post-gaming" - it's an urge to simply enjoy creativity :)

I used to love seeing John Blanche's models in WD years back, but they had no context to me. They didn't have any real right to be on a games table as far as I could see, there was no consistency and we never saw anything that resembled a squad of models. Just the odd one or two here with some eclectic weapon choice (which usually didn't fit what the rulebook said they could take)

The straight laced youngster in me couldn't take it.

But seeing peoples creations, under the guise of Inq28, has opened my tiny little mind to the possibilities of, not just painting for paintings sake, but also for exploring a theme / genre within 40k and modelling something around that just for the sake of enjoying the experience and having something themed beyond "hey I used these same colours in this army, how's that for a theme?"

or something like that anyway.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

What he meant to say was it's worth jack poo poo, but I'll give you $5 for it :v:

(nice find, jammy sod)

enri
Dec 16, 2003

"...c-can I play it solo?" :smith:

(my chances of getting my wife to play a boardgame with me died the day I introduced her to dungeonquest 8 years ago :v:)

fake edit: on the plus side, my kids are growing up, so I'm sure it won't be long before we can sit down and have a proper dungeon crawling session on a rainy Sunday afternoon

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Eurgh... I love some of the detail (the bear trap stuck on his foot for starters) but not massively keen on that pose :/ I'd think you'd be better off picking up the plastic river trolls and slapping some armour plates and a helmet on them.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Atlas Hugged posted:

Shadow War carries a pricetag of $130 and isn't the real Necromunda reboot. I'll hold off until that comes out next year. It might be totally fine, but I'm flat out not interested at that price, plus the cost of GW models that I don't otherwise have a use for (there's no way in hell I'm using it as an entry point into 40k proper).

Shadespire might be really good, but so long as its Sigmarines vs Bloodbloods I cannot possibly care.

Has there been any noise about UK pricing for shadow wars? $130 converts to £100+ which doesn't sound right, even for GW. I'd have been surprised at £90 but was expecting to see it around the £70 mark

Throw in the usual LGS discount and it might be more reasonable

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Well that makes it a harder decision... assuming a 15-20% discount from the LGS', that's somewhere between £72 - 77'ish

It seems like a great excuse for conversion work though, this is kinda what kill team should have always been aesthetically speaking. I may yet be able to convince myself to fork out for it.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

...do we know if they're going to stick with the old 4' x 4' board size format? I'd love for them to ditch it and go to 3' x 3' but how would that help them sell realms of battle boards (or whatever they're called) :v:

the smaller board size has made other games that bit more enjoyable (and deadzone at 2' x 2' was perfect for the kitchen table but I admit probably a bit too small for necromunda sized games)

enri
Dec 16, 2003

berzerkmonkey posted:

I imagine they'll stick with the 4x4. There is nothing stating that you have to play at 4x4 though - you can scale it down if you want, it's just going to be really lethal a lot quicker.

Yea that's the problem, I don't mind playing on a smaller board but like you say, it'll get murderous really quick and benefit the 'up close and personal' types a bit more. 4' x 4' isn't all that practical for me to store at home, but hey ho, will see what I can do with it.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

JcDent posted:

And less room for maneuver.

Like I said, I hope it comes out with fun weapon options for Dire Avengers. I like them the most of all Aspect Warriors, but their gear is boring.

My other, totally unrealistic dream would be for them to seriously empower Space Marines.

Ashcans posted:

I don't disagree, but giving Dire Avengers a bunch of weapon options would be pretty counter to the entire concept, so it would be weird if they did that. I know they are doing them because they have a plastic set, but Rangers or Corsairs would be a much better choice for letting you have a bunch of varying stuff.

There's nothing stopping you finding a good fit in the list and modelling it to be a dire avenger, the world is literally yours to play around with ("forge your own narrative, rargh!")

enri
Dec 16, 2003

berzerkmonkey posted:

They have Sustained, though you never really needed sustained fire dice - just roll a D6 and halve the result.

Except on a 6, which is a jam :ssh:

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Speaking for myself here, but the pull of a GW game vs any other skirmish game with better rules is that I spent much of my youth heavily involved with WHFB and 40k, and I'd say I still know their imaginary worlds pretty well. I'm much older now with kids and responsibilities etc. and don't have the free time to pore over the details in every rulebook, or read every story of all the games I'm interested in so being able to jump into a skirmish gave where I'm already familiar with the setting is a big plus.

I do prefer to play skirmish sized games these days (again, age + kids + responsibilities + real life etc. plays a big part in that) and there are games I've played; malifaux, warmachine, guild ball, x-wing... all of these tick a few of the "is this game reasonably small enough for me to enjoy without spending a fortune?" boxes and whilst I've enjoyed them and their rules, I could barely talk for more than a minute about the settings these games take place in and that's a big pull for me (er, with the exception of x-wing at least...)

TL;DR: to some of us, there are more important things than the quality of the rules

enri
Dec 16, 2003

El Estrago Bonito posted:

...I never named any of my guys in Necromunda...

you monster :ohdear:

enri
Dec 16, 2003

So, this shadow war lark... thought I'd have a quick Google to see if I could find a release date and end up on the GW site itself. 'Out of stock' and 'limited to 1 per customer'

Did I miss something? :(

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Well that's retarded, the one big purchase I was very likely to give money to GW for and it's a limited edition :v:

Oh well. Back to my other pursuits :)

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Safety Factor posted:

Thanks. I figured that's how ammo rolls would work, but just wanted to check. I watched a short battle report earlier today and that's how they played it so that seems right.

Just to clarify one thing, a bolt pistol used in close combat would be S4 with an additional -1 modifier for a total of -2, right?

From what I remember of the old 40k close combat system, no you don't get the bonus armour modifier - are you clubbing them with it or shooting them with it? can't do both :D

enri
Dec 16, 2003

One of my friends on twitter is saying that shadow war is back up for pre-order on the UK site, I can't check to confirm at the moment as I'm at work :v:

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Ashcans posted:

Wow, taking a whole new book to print with all the faction rules and additional rules for Inquisitors and Sisters? That's a really cool move. If this is a portent of things to come, its very encouraging.

Seconding this, so much so I felt inspired to email GW customer services with a "gently caress yes, keep this up and I'll be back in no time"

:ohdear:

enri
Dec 16, 2003

JcDent posted:

Man, wargames look so much fun before someone with terminally onset pointdextrosis starts mathammering you over the head :(

This is pretty much my entire problem with wargaming, I just want to have fun! The best load out be damned... the best strategies be damned... let me just play by the rule of cool.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

JcDent posted:

At least historical threads don't care much about those. Basically the only munchkinry you see is someone going ALL ASSAULT RIFLES ALL THE TIME in Bolt Action. Those are the same kind of people who insist that your veteran list take inexperienced mortars, because it saves points.

Yea there's that I guess, there's also an argument to be made for special one-off scenarios and whatnot with set forces - that's one way to still enjoy wargaming and get your buttmunch opponents to stop math-hammering their way to the inevitable victory - but that's almost a whole thread in itself. If you make a scenario small enough, you can take it in turns and swap sides and have 'victory' be the person who survives the longest / inflicts the most damage before succumbing etc.

Probably best done as a group thing too.

Shadow War just feels like the perfect excuse to go modelling / converting crazy. I'm guessing there's all kinds of 'counts as' lark you could pull off too. Looking forward to getting my hands on just the rules (I'm still in shock about GW pulling that out of the bag, my only grumble is that it's likely to not be released before I go on holiday - which would have made perfect poolside reading with the occasional interruption whilst my kids try to drown themselves)

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Zaphod42 posted:

Shadow War rulebook is up for pre-order, $40

ding ding! congratulations GW, for the fist time in over... 7'ish years? you've made this nerd spend more than £10 in one go on one of your products. Long may it continue.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

have you heard bout the new bigger speesh muhrins?

I saw something on twitter last night but didn't get a good look

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Only just got the chance to read the shadow war book, quite liking it.. I'm going to have to wait and see what my regular gaming buddies make of it but I know they have 40k armies buried somewhere or necromunda gangs to use counts as. We'll see where it ends up :) worst case scenario, it's some great fuel for converting a little kill team.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Ghazk posted:

Anyone need a couple of titans for Epic? Found myself with a spare warhound, reaver, warlord and a couple knights lancer (all Mars pattern).

I don't suppose you're in the UK? :v: