Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Who was banned for their opinions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

joeburz posted:

Lmao if you think this forum is anything other than a safe space for racists as long as they don't use the n word.

This place is a little less than the rest of the forums in general.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

The GBS/QCS-ification of D&D begins.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Fat Shat Sings posted:

I love that the debate and discussion forum has a problem with debate and discussion.

When the very idea of opposing opinions causes you to project into wild hypothetical that border on conspiracies about harboring racists and whatever the worst possible thing you can dream up is to prevent yourself from being intellectually challenged you probably shouldn't be identifying with "THE DEBATE" forum.

Do you have an example?

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Fat Shat Sings posted:

you immediately labeling dissent as racism totally isn't the problem people have with your ability to decide who does/ does not get to speak.

What are examples of her labeling dissent as racism?

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Fat Shat Sings posted:

uhhhh?

it's not a hard concept. Someone goes "Hey a moderator of debate is actually just backing themselves up in arguments and hasn't set themselves apart from the debate at all"

"I'M GLAD THE RACISTS ARE SHOOK YA'LL"

There is a leap there that is pretty obvious

You stated that she is labeling dissent as racism.

As a response, you posted a quote that did nothing to show that she has been labeling dissent as racism.

Then, you change your point from 'moderator labels dissent as racism' to 'a moderator should be apart from the debate'.

Do you expect every Moderator to be completely separated from all topics they are moderating? Even then, do you believe impartiality is guaranteed in that case?

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Who the gently caress tweets about D&D bullshit?

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Tolkien minority posted:

possibly the persons who;s married to the person running the forum and also involved in running the forum

I have no idea who the twitter handles are for, tbh.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

The second thing leads to a huge influx of X that you still don't really like, whereas the first one does not. Whether that's posting while drunk, calling people "tranny" or mod sass, it's fine to relax the rule if that's what you want to do, but I think making a big announcement about it is the wrong way to go about that, as it ensures that the forums are awash with whatever that thing is.

I agree.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Beet Wagon posted:

As exciting as it is going to be to read a bunch of rules-lawyering about why "lmao all homos should die of AIDS" is not in fact extreme enough to fall afoul of the new 'almost anything goes' rule, maybe we could revisit the huge announcement about how blanket hatred based on gender/race/whatever is cool and good as long as it isn't too bad, whatever that means?

Look! An example of someone calling her a racist!

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Tolkien minority posted:

lowtax said like 5 times that hatespeech is still banned lol no one thinks its ok to say "all homos should die of aids" thats a blatant strawman. like the whole announcement was that blanket hatred is not ok but using the word fag in a sentence doesnt count as blanket hatred

Lady's post obfuscates the whole issue:

LadyAmbien posted:

It does not exist to be a special space for you to all circle jerk each other off and feel superior to anyone who thinks differently EVEN IF that opinion is offensive.

This is a place where people pay to post, and have a right to express their personal opinions as long as they are not personally attacking anyone else. Which does NOT include blanket statements regarding groups, unless it is especially extreme.

Essentially, people are taking a look at that and inferring as long as you aren't using specific slurs, it's going to be harder to police hate speech.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Neurolimal posted:

Like, it seems like if a thread isn't intended for debating, it shouldn't be in Debate and Discussion? It just seems like such a thread only exists in such a forum for the credibility that forum gives compared to any other forum on the Funny Website.

I think this is a strange observation considering how long you've been a part of the D&D forums. It's more of a discussion forum centered on political or civic topics. That thread focuses on issues black folks face, somewhat, as much as some other thread might focus on discussion about another country's politics.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Neurolimal posted:

Sure, but in this specific instance i'm referring to someone brings up a pet peeve (heavily emphasizing that they like the thread, lurk the thread, respectfully bow out of most discussions unrelated to their experience, and aren't saying they are wrong), getting shouted down, and being willing to argue back as being things worth punishing for or kicking someone out of the thread for.

Like, at one point 3 posters were just spamming "GTFO NOW" instead of moving on and talking about stuff they wanted to talk about.

Man I thought I followed this poo poo more closely. I don't know the specific instance you're referring to. Can you clue me in? Was TB and/or negromancer involved?

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

There isn't much debate or discussion going on in this thread.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Is this thread about racism?

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Psycho Society posted:

Holy cow this thread sucks. Is this really what people on your subforum are like? You can get a more rational conversation from literally any person and most dogs you see on the street. I have no idea why any person would actually seek it out as a worthwhile place to talk to human beings.

I don't frequent a lot of threads around here but I am under the impression that there are a substantial amount of posters here who don't post regularly in this subforum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

I think one of the problems with D&D is that in order for it to work, it has to be more stuffy than 'come on guys this is a comedy forum!'

• Locked thread