Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
So I casually googled it and I got this word salad,

Transcript of The Analysis of Human Nature- Mob Mentality
The nature behind herd mentality The role of communication in herd mentality RLS: The Jonestown Massacre Emotion in relation to Herd Mentality -primal instinct of survival (seen in animal world)

-Herd mentality implies a fear-based reaction to peer pressure which makes individuals act in order to avoid feeling "left behind" from the group.

-form tribes, migrate in groups, and perform cooperative marketing and agricultural functions

-We often change our decisions and judgments to conform with normative group behavior Nurture -both are how we are impacted by our interaction with environment/society

-To what extent can herd mentality influence the way we know? And how should we know when “conventional knowledge” should be accepted?

-Herd mentality can distort and bias our knowledge, we are more inclined to believe accepted truths

-Galileo searched to prove phenomena which contradicted the accepted truths of his era

-We must always keep questioning By: Erin, Julia and Delia :) Human Nature: Herd Mentality “Man is the animal that speaks. Understanding language is thus the key to understanding man”.
– Thomas Szasz, 1920-
-Humans are social animals and communication is natural
-Language is powerful, can be used to manipulate people
-Fear is an important factor, can be instrumental in this manipulation
KI: To what extent does language affect our inclination towards herd mentality?
-difference between what is said and what is interpreted
-communication skills are important for mobilizing a group to follow several individuals
-An example of this is in Nazi Germany, where propaganda and fear were important tools
-In modern society, having a worldwide connection allows us to quickly spread ideas and trends
-a larger group of people can be reached and possibly influenced
-Flawed interpretation due to manipulation of language can be very instrumental in getting people to follow the crowd
-However, a lack of communication in general can be a trigger of panic, and have the same effect
-A study was performed by researchers at Leeds University, where an uninformed group began to follow the small number of individuals who had been informed
-Therefore, the phenomenon of herd mentality can be observed whether or not language is being used
- it cannot be said that language is the only thing that influences people to act or think in a certain – there are other ways of knowing which can have equal or greater influences on how we think
-The ways of knowing are ways in which we take in and interpret the information around us – so how does our innate human nature play a role in the way that we think and make decisions? -There have been studies which show that our proneness to herd mentality is reflected in our brain activity
-It is theorized that the fear of isolation is a souvenir from our prehistoric past
-The human need to follow the crowd is a fear based response that is reflected in our brain activity – does this mean, however, that this phenomenon is common to every living person? Where does the concept of individuality come in?
KI: To what extent does human nature determine who we are as individuals?
-I considered individuality and what it means to different people, and I first looked at the issue through culture
-How does the notion and importance of individuality vary between cultures throughout history?
-“Anatman”, which is an important concept in Buddhism
-Philosophy that teaches there is no "self" and that all things are interconnected
-Helped me to make the important distinction that the concepts of human nature and individuality are not two sides of the same coin
-What shapes us as people besides genetically inherited traits and our individual experiences and environments? Or is it perhaps a unique combination of both?
-I looked at early empiricists such as John Locke,
- “tabula rasa” concept
- Locke’s theories were an important foundation for ideals present in American history
-Empiricism does not leave a lot of room for the concept of “nature”
-Therefore, one who fully subscribes to the theory of empiricism would not find the concept of herd mentality to be a valid one
-This theory is extreme, there are examples of genetics influencing who we are
-One of these is psychopathy
-Many studies have shown that psychopaths have altered brain chemistry and hormone functionality
-It cannot be said that genetics is the sole or even the most important factor in every case, as other factors such as environment are considered by many to play a role in what shapes us
-herd mentality does not always have to be a negative thing
-What if the small amount of the group needed to mobilize the others into action focused on something that could make a change for the better? -international community formed in Guyana formed by the Peoples Temple, led by reverend James Warren Jones

-vision of a communist community, one in which everyone lived together in harmony and worked for the common good.

-escape American capitalism—and criticism—and practice a more communal way of life

-Relatives of cult members soon grew concerned

-Congressman Leo Ryan arrived to survey Jonestown, but was shot along with four others. -To what extent can we justify social conformity, when it contradicts our own distinctive ethical beliefs?

Informative conformity- conforming due to lack of knowledge

Normative conformity – to be liked

-Stanford Prison Experiment, where the subjects who were randomly assigned as guards gradually adopted the behavior of cruel and demanding prison guards because that became the behavioral norm in an alien situation. Background Information Background information International community formed in Guyana formed by the Peoples Temple, led by reverend James Warren Jones
Vision of a communist community, one in which everyone lived together in harmony and worked for the common good
Escape American capitalism—and criticism—and practice a more communal way of life
Relatives of cult members soon grew concerned
Congressman Leo Ryan arrived to survey Jonestown, but was shot along with four others.

Seems insane at first but it's pretty much spot on, if you are being objective.

https://prezi.com/7nx0xtqzhl3f/the-analysis-of-human-nature-mob-mentality/

No, this is not a troll post, it's just me asking who the leader is supposed to be. You? Them? Me?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinch Me Im Meming
Jun 26, 2005
It is indeed pretty word salade-y. And also very Tylen Durdenesque if you want my woke opinion.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
It's how people get red titles.

Noun Verber
Oct 12, 2006

Cool party, guys.
Is this the new timecube?

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
Actually OP, humans evolved in small kin groups and not herds.

e. Honestly though I'm having trouble parsing the op.

unlimited shrimp fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Jan 13, 2017

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

the trump tutelage posted:

Actually OP, humans evolved in small kin groups and not herds.
Speak for yourself. I am a buffalo IRL.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax
I agree with everyone else has said, OP.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Hard mentality and the rise of group sex lmao

But seriously what do you want people to discuss in this thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

FactsAreUseless posted:

But seriously what do you want people to discuss in this thread

You answered your own question.