Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Apocadall
Mar 25, 2010

Aren't you the guitarist for the feed dogs?

so i may have accidentally started a small movement

i'm laughing my rear end off at how hilarious it could end up

realizing how powerful an IT union could be is really funny

everyone look into starting your own, lets start something here, it's going to be really loving funny

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
there's already a movement to unionize where I work

for like 10 years but it hasn't succeeded yet

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

lol if u think unions will be legal by 2018

Apocadall
Mar 25, 2010

funny Star Wars parody posted:

lol if u think unions will be legal by 2018

a large enough union doesn't give a gently caress what is legal

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

unions are good

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
sounds like you just dont understand the gig economy op

we have to "get creative" with how business is run to respond to evolving tech

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮

Apocadall posted:

a large enough union doesn't give a gently caress what is legal

On the afternoon of Wednesday, May 23, the sheriff of Lucas County decided to take action against the picketers. In front of a crowd which now numbered nearly 10,000, sheriff's deputies arrested Budenz and four picketers. As the five were taken to jail, a deputy began beating an elderly man.

Infuriated, the crowd began hurling stones, bricks and bottles at the sheriff's deputies. A fire hose was turned on the crowd, but the mob seized it and turned the hose back on the deputies. Many deputies fled inside the plant gates, and Auto-Lite managers barricaded the plant doors and turned off the lights. The deputies gathered on the roof and began shooting tear gas bombs into the crowd. So much tear and vomit gas was used that not even the police could enter the riot zone. The mob retaliated by hurling bricks and stones through the plant's windows for seven hours. The strikers overturned cars in the parking lot and set them ablaze. The inner tubes of car tires were turned into improvised slingshots, and bricks and stones launched at the building. Burning refuse was thrown into the open door of the plant's shipping department, setting it on fire. In the early evening, the rioters attempted to break into the plant and seize the replacement workers, security personnel and sheriff's deputies. Police fired shots at the legs of rioters to try to stop them. The gunfire was ineffective, and only one person was (slightly) wounded. Hand-to-hand fighting broke out as the rioters broke into the plant. The mob was repelled, but tried twice more to break into the facility before they gave up late in the evening. More than 20 people were reported injured during the melee. Auto-Lite president Clement O. Miniger was so alarmed by the violence that he ringed his home with a cordon of armed guards.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Bloody posted:

unions are good

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Apocadall
Mar 25, 2010

Seize the means of production comrades!

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

wouldn't it be really difficult to fight scabs should push come to shove? with an actual physical factory you can form a picket line but how do you do that when they can just have workers tunnel in from bangalore?

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!

Bloody posted:

unions are good

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

i still think the answer for tech is forming professional certifications like accountants or lawyers

N.Z.'s Champion
Jun 8, 2003

Yam Slacker
i think its weird that programmers don't get credits like a movie when they make something, like humans.txt.
unions could push for that.

but i suppose bakers don't get credit for pies so i guess that happens everywhere

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

you have to actually be a worker to join a union, op

if anything, computer touching should be treated more like a particularly distasteful habit like public urination

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

i wish you would stick to labour and stop touching your computer stymie

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Apocadall posted:

how hilarious it could end up

not very?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Most computer people are insufferable libertarians and think not having a union is a good thing.

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib
sorry OP, everyone wants to get paid like a 10x developer even if they aren't

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

spankmeister posted:

Most computer people are insufferable libertarians and think not having a union is a good thing.

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Fucjing Government unions ruining everything

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

I'm a 10x unicorn rockstar op, fraid union regs would just slow me down on my 80 hour crunch time marathon coding sessions

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
we need a union to put an end to these inhuman working conditions. the AC in my office is way too cold and the free snacks in the break room run out by the end of the week

Noun Verber
Oct 12, 2006

Cool party, guys.
Why not just join the telcom union? They're already established and would love to have you.

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
join the police union so you can be a cybercop with infinite power and zero accountability

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
better still, stop being a professional computer toucher and get a real job

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

In His presence the mountains quake and the hills melt away; the earth trembles and its people are destroyed. Who can stand before His fierce anger?
huh, sounds like a good union for a clown to join

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

The Management posted:

we need a union to put an end to these inhuman working conditions. the AC in my office is way too cold and the free snacks in the break room run out by the end of the week

I figured an IT union would be more for things like keeping companies from exploiting H-1B visa loopholes.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
if you're an employee and aren't in a union then you are a class traitor imo

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

Silicon Valley coders are dumbs who get seduced by superficial benefits like beer and NERF guns and willingly work long hours until overtime and put up with stupid management decisions. The lolbertarians would sabotage any attempts to create a programmer union

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

i hate my coworkers so what the gently caress am i supposed to do op?

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Maximo Roboto posted:

Silicon Valley coders are dumbs who get seduced by superficial benefits like beer and NERF guns and willingly work long hours until overtime and put up with stupid management decisions. The lolbertarians would sabotage any attempts to create a programmer union

this is why a professional guild is much more likely to succeed

Alzabo
Oct 23, 2002

You watched it, you can't unwatch it.
As someone who grew up in a union household, I can say my parents have a lot of trouble wrapping their mind around stuff like unstable employment and 401(k) instead of defined benefit pension.

They are also boomers, so . . .

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Alzabo posted:

As someone who grew up in a union household, I can say my parents have a lot of trouble wrapping their mind around stuff like unstable employment and 401(k) instead of defined benefit pension.

They are also boomers, so . . .

Does your mom have big tits?

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

i hate my coworkers so what the gently caress am i supposed to do op?

same and ill let you know if talking to your boss about moving to a new group works tmw

Alzabo
Oct 23, 2002

You watched it, you can't unwatch it.

Citizen Tayne posted:

Does your mom have big tits?

i have two dads, they met at the steel mill

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

maniacdevnull posted:

same and ill let you know if talking to your boss about moving to a new group works tmw

he'll move you right off the payroll

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I'm in a union op

• Locked thread