Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Sniep posted:

DH's are an abomination to the sport and take away from the real true form of baseball and invalidate all of it

mega agreedo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
I think we should have a YOSPOS field trip to a NASCAR race

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
track day bro

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
baseball is kinda boring on tv which is why there are so many haters

in person it's reasonable fun at a reasonable price. i'm not gonna knock baseball fans

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

baseball is kinda boring on tv which is why there are so many haters

in person it's reasonable fun at a reasonable price. i'm not gonna knock baseball fans

lol unless it's the world series nobody watches baseball on tv

it's a radio sport

you listen to it, in the background, where it belongs, unless you're at the game in person

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

even at a game it's in the background. the main purpose of baseball is to hang out on a beautiful day in the summer and drink a few beers

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast
god i cant wait for baseball to come back

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Bloody posted:

even at a game it's in the background. the main purpose of baseball is to hang out on a beautiful day in the summer and drink a few beers

maybe this is why i enjoy going to games

i barely know what's going on but it's occasionally thrilling and it's always nice to sit in the shade drinking a beer with thousands of people cheering

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

i pity the fool who cant appreciate the suspense of baseball

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast
the top of the 7th is when you get a liquor drink and some water and sit down to just get rekt and then sip water till the end and uber home

see, baseball still relevant in 2017

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

i barely know what's going on

this is why no one here likes baseball

it isn't football. quit expecting football. football is custom-tailored for short attention spans and people who don't know the rules

you've got people in this thread asking for between pitch time to be cut down when that's when most of the action happens for fucks sake

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

nothing better than gathering in a stadium to sit in uncomfortable chairs and drink $12 beers on a nice summer day

can't think of a better way to spend one

Apr 7, 2003

mishaq posted:

nothing better than gathering in a stadium to sit in uncomfortable chairs and drink $12 beers on a nice summer day

can't think of a better way to spend one

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

i don't play video games anymore, they're for children

id rather drink a nice beer i bought in the store for less than $12 in a park with some friends

Apr 7, 2003

uh, then do that instead of doing something you don't like? No one is forcing you to like baseball, you loving goon

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

i really love this image

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

the one where they stitched a buncha characters together is great too

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Citizen Tayne posted:

this is why no one here likes baseball

it isn't football. quit expecting football. football is custom-tailored for short attention spans and people who don't know the rules

you've got people in this thread asking for between pitch time to be cut down when that's when most of the action happens for fucks sake

actually football is completely unwatchable without knowing the intricacies of the rules. its the most rules lawyering sport and absolutely nothing about the game is intuitive.

basketball is the sport for short attention spans and no rules knowing. its simple: you put the ball in the hoop, and its fast: someone puts the ball in the hoop every few seconds

Apr 7, 2003

Bloody posted:

actually football is completely unwatchable without knowing the intricacies of the rules. its the most rules lawyering sport and absolutely nothing about the game is intuitive.

basketball is the sport for short attention spans and no rules knowing. its simple: you put the ball in the hoop, and its fast: someone puts the ball in the hoop every few seconds

Football is very easy to follow if you don't know the rules, because the field is one big progress bar

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Bloody posted:

basketball is cool b/c you only need to watch the last 10 minutes of a game

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
"football" is a sport where you have to watch for five hours to get sixty minutes of playtime. i went to see a game once and it was the most boring loving thing of my life until someone broke their back on the pitch, which was momentarily exciting. then it was boring again while we waited for the air ambulance because the onsite medics didn't want to risk moving them

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
football has like 12 minutes of playtime.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
someone post that graphic of the total broadcast time for a football game

iirc it represented everything by screenshot frames and even broke out "time standing around on field" it was great

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

watching football with a dvr should be mandatory

footy is fun to watch on tv though because they can't stop it for ads [YET]

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

the condensed version of games is typically around 45 minutes long and too fast to really process what's going on unless you're paying very close attention

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Bloody posted:

in New York it is 100% permissible at almost all office jobs to take a "baseball" day.

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

In His presence the mountains quake and the hills melt away; the earth trembles and its people are destroyed. Who can stand before His fierce anger?
football would be a much better game if it were 2 15 minute periods rather than a full 4 quarters. the majority of serious injuries occur in the second half, and lead at halftime is highly deterministic so most of the time second half play is irrelevant to game outcome

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

union membership goes in cycles historically where the membership lags decreases in worker protection and wages. we are in a period with relatively high wages and few physical risks for it workers. In a few years when this changes it will be easier to attract union members

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

lampey posted:

union membership goes in cycles historically where the membership lags decreases in worker protection and wages. we are in a period with relatively high wages and few physical risks for it workers. In a few years when this changes it will be easier to attract union members

The middle class has been shrinking a keeps shrinking and union membership has only declined and declined. If there was ever a time when unions would flourish it would have happened in the past few years and it didn't.

I mean I hope you're right but I don't see it happening or else it would have by now

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
gosh it's almost as if the shift to a computer touching-based economy was intended to destroy union membership by devaluing actual work

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Sniep posted:

god i cant wait for baseball to come back

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
did anyone say bread and circuses yet

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Stymie posted:

gosh it's almost as if the shift to a computer touching-based economy was intended to destroy union membership by devaluing actual work

yea the shift to a tech-oriented economy was totally deliberately done just to diminish uni-what are you talking about

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

don't quote stymie

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Beamed posted:

yea the shift to a tech-oriented economy was totally deliberately done just to diminish uni-what are you talking about

i'm talking about the shift in economic focus to a massive, unproductive sector of the economy that has resulted in a devaluing of productive sectors of the economy which has the net result of diluting labor power to the benefit of capital

this was undertaken with the intent of further entrenching and enriching the capitalist class while also destroying class consciousness and labor cohesion

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
you see, computers are an invention of the illuminati, in conjunction with programming created by the bilderberg group, as part of a century long campaign to subjugate the masses by depriving their labour of value, thus diminishing the importance of unions and ensuring that the last remaining way for people to organize themselves along egalitarian lines collapsed

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
OPEN YOUR EYES MAAAAAAAN!

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

mishaq posted:

don't quote stymie

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
it's not exactly a leap of faith to believe that capitalists regularly collude to increase their own power and influence at the cost of labor

computer touching happens to be a particularly convenient way of doing so

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

well there was that thing in california a couple years back, yeah

but of course they were colluding against computer touchers, so it was okay

• Locked thread