Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Bacon and greens is a language that transcends all culture barriers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Made a loaf of rye and whole packer brisket worth of pastrami. Brisket came from a friend's family who raise charolais cattle. A little too lean, but still tasty.

Jerk chicken tacos with lime crema on homemade tortillas.

Ginger chicken meatballs in a Thai coconut broth with brown and wild rice.

pim01
Oct 22, 2002

That pastrami looks gorgeous!

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!

Big Willy Style posted:

Can you elaborate on the method, that looks delicious
Oh, yeah, no prob.
It's Flour 1000 g, warm (32°/90°) Water 700 g, fine Sea salt 20 g and "a bare quarter teaspoon yeast."

I used King Arthur unbleached bread flour. You start the yeast with 3-4 tablespoons of the warm water and set aside. Add the rest of the water to the flour in a large bowl and give it a few turns with your hand to combine. Cover and let rest for 20-30 min to allow for autolysis. Sprinkle the salt over the top of the flour and add the yeast. Mix by hand to combine, the book describes "pinching and folding" the dough with a wetted hand. cover and let rise for 12 hours. Should triple in size. Mine had great big huge bubbles in it and smelled amazing. Put the dough onto a floured surface and fold it over 2-3 times. cut it into 5 segments and form them into balls. Put on floured sheet and put in fridge for 6 hours (I froze 3 for future meals.)

Cooking instructions were for a conventional oven: Pre-heat oven to as close to 600°f as possible, placing pizza stone on rack about 8" below broiler. Allow to heat for 30 min after it reaches temperature. Take dough ball and punch it down in the middle, and stretch out into a pizza crust. (Metroid shape optional.). I made my own sauce from San Marzano tomatoes, olive oil and garlic. Mozzarella and parm cheese. Boar's Head pepperoni. Fresh basil. About 5 cloves of chopped garlic. When you're ready, superheat the stone by putting the broiler on high for 5 min, then back to bake and put the pie in. Bake for 5 min then switch to broiler for 2 min and keep an eye on it.

The next one I'm going to bake a little longer to get a crunchier crust. That one was good, just not crunchy how I like.

Casu Marzu posted:

Kinda looks like a metroid
I need to work on my dough stretching. I kept worrying it would tear. Practice practice delicious practice!

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Made pizza. Doggo mad about it. One day I will make pizza and take a photo in a room that doesn't bounce poo poo off the mozzarella, today is not that day.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
I made Steak Diane and baked potatoes for Mother's Day.

I'd post pics, but we kinda ate the results.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
I bought some char siu from my local hong kong bbq guy, made it into char siu "bao" mix inside phyllo and voila, easy sweet pork snack. I used the char siu bao recipe from here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lj5GJP_i55o

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

I know it doesn't look impressive (nor is it complicated or difficult), but dinner tonight made me feel super proud. Made everything from scratch, had four different foods cooking separately simultaneously (in the oven, the stovetop, the bbq and a pan on the bbq side burner), and had to overcome challenges on the fly (the steaks were all cooked to specific, different, requests, and all hosed up their cooking times because our bbq is terrible, so I had to switch which was which around and play it by ear). Everything came out delicious and was well complimented (and everyone had seconds), and I feel very satisfied with my glass of wine, listening to the dishwasher.

It's scotch fillet steaks cooked on the barbecue, with a mushroom cream sauce. The sides are potato au gratin and garlic butter beans.

E: I was most happy that I got the steaks cooked perfectly. Mine was medium-rare, the others were medium and medium-well. 70% of the way through the cooking process I realised none were going to get close to the right temperatures, but they were in the right ballpark to switch around and still get the right results.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

I made some corn and rice risotto last night.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

iajanus posted:

I know it doesn't look impressive (nor is it complicated or difficult), but dinner tonight made me feel super proud. Made everything from scratch, had four different foods cooking separately simultaneously (in the oven, the stovetop, the bbq and a pan on the bbq side burner), and had to overcome challenges on the fly (the steaks were all cooked to specific, different, requests, and all hosed up their cooking times because our bbq is terrible, so I had to switch which was which around and play it by ear). Everything came out delicious and was well complimented (and everyone had seconds), and I feel very satisfied with my glass of wine, listening to the dishwasher.

It's scotch fillet steaks cooked on the barbecue, with a mushroom cream sauce. The sides are potato au gratin and garlic butter beans.

E: I was most happy that I got the steaks cooked perfectly. Mine was medium-rare, the others were medium and medium-well. 70% of the way through the cooking process I realised none were going to get close to the right temperatures, but they were in the right ballpark to switch around and still get the right results.

Hell yeah. That looks good.

I think it's a decent level of skill all on its own to be able to cook several dishes at once to the right degree and have them all on the plate at proper serving temp at the same time in a normal home kitchen setup.

Major Ryan
May 11, 2008

Completely blank
Last night was mejadra. Comfort food at its finest.

I mean, putting fried onions on anything makes it amazing, right?

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

toplitzin posted:

I made some corn and rice risotto last night.

And tonight I made leftovers into a crispy pancake with harissa sour cream, feta, cilantro, and Yellowbird drizzle.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006
Made some buns filled with spinach and artichoke dip.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Made some pizza earlier in the week. Cabanossi, mushrooms and capers with homemade tomato sauce. Base was homemade with some fresh oregano mixed in.

Also made some of Serious Eats' Sticky Thai Chicken meatballs and some fried rice. These have been a regular for years now cause gently caress are they good.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

I threw together a riff on Hui Guo Rou with what I had in the fridge.

Bacon and lacitino kale.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Lamb barbacoa and fresh tortillas

Springform pan chicken pot pie

Charcut plate with a loaf of fresh bread

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.

My butcher got some fancy pork, with a baguette from a local bakery and asparagus from my weekly farm box and a little horseradish aioli.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

where the hell did all the fat cap go in the end

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.

Casu Marzu posted:

where the hell did all the fat cap go in the end

please don't kink-shame

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

So you ate a slab of fatback with a lil pork medallion in the middle? Nothing wrong with that that I can see.

'Open up a couple of cans and cut up a ham steak" tuscan-esque white bean and spinach soup with some homemade rosemary bread.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Grilled shishito pepper and corn salad, refried black bean tostada and pineapple margarita

The salad was my wife's weird idea that worked very well.

Home grown tomatoes and tomatillos were involved :woop:

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Fancy dinner for Game of Thrones, which was probably better than the episode itself.

Smoked standing rib roast with horseradish cream, homemade tasso ham and parmesan escalopped potatoes, grilled lemon asparagus.

Served with a nice beaujolais. The beef was as good as you would expect. The potatoes were surprisingly the star. Absolutely loving killer. Gonna make those again. Glad I smoked some tasso last week.

Dragon egg cakes! Coconut cake with kiwi lime mousse, peanut butter cake with peanut butter mousse and a strawberry jam layer, dark chocolate espresso cake with dark chocolate mousse and 90% dark chocolate ganache glaze.

First time trying to make a cake that looks like something else, and took me a whole drat day, but super happy with how they turned out.

For reference:

Mine

Kiwi mousse was a liiiitttlllleeee soft and the top layer of cake slid ad it got too round. Should have trimmed the top layer of PB cake down a bit.

Coconut kiwi lime cake was great. PBJ cake was good, but seriously you only need like 3 bites. It is overwhelming. Chocolate cake was KILLER. So dark, barely sweet, for serious chocolate addicts.

Doom Rooster fucked around with this message at 03:07 on May 22, 2019

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

That looks fantastic, love the little cakes.

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty
That chocolate cake sounds like heaven.

Random Hero
Jun 4, 2004
I could sure go for a Miller High Life...
I made some fried rice with shiitake mushrooms, peas and broccoli topped with Korean marinated (gochujang, mirin, sake, ginger, garlic) hanger steak (sous vide 4hrs @ 132) and peach tea pickled red onions. I will definitely be making all of this again, especially that marinade and the onions.

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

Random Hero posted:

I made some fried rice with shiitake mushrooms, peas and broccoli topped with Korean marinated (gochujang, mirin, sake, ginger, garlic) hanger steak (sous vide 4hrs @ 132) and peach tea pickled red onions. I will definitely be making all of this again, especially that marinade and the onions.

That looks SO great! You are my random hero!

ogarza
Feb 25, 2009
I made breakfast tacos for dinner rube goldberg style

pork shoulder

adobo

add adobo to pork and cook 1 or 2 hr

prepare salsa borracha (drunk sauce) oh yes I went there, beer salsa

fry some of the pork shoulder in adobo and some of the salsa

scramble eggs

skip the part where you take the pictures when making tortillas...

but do add more salsa to the tacos

behold

The salsa is so good, I'm not sure it's legal

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

^^^ gently caress yeah.

I made a gorgonzola bechamel with some carmelized onions and garlic over gnocchi. Topped it with some italian sausage and a bit more gorgonzola that I ran through the smoker a few days ago. It came out great.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

That Works posted:

I made a gorgonzola bechamel with some carmelized onions and garlic over gnocchi. Topped it with some italian sausage and a bit more gorgonzola that I ran through the smoker a few days ago. It came out great.

I love this.

Dr. Krieger
Apr 9, 2010

That Works posted:

^^^ gently caress yeah.

This looks fantastic. My favorite scalloped potatoes recipe uses fennel seed and gorgonzola and this feels like an awesome parallel flavor wise. Gonna have to try and make it

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

That Works posted:

^^^ gently caress yeah.

Holy *poo poo*. :eyepop:

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

:unsmith: Aww thanks yall. I always feel like I am barely doing this justice compared to so much awesome stuff in here. Didn't expect this to get much of a reaction!

Only real takeaways I had from it were to not put in the Gorgonzola into the bechamel until just nearly at the end. Likewise, I just sauteed up the onion and garlic (with a little black pepper and thyme) and only tossed it in along with the gnocchi and stirred. When I tried making this before I put in the cheese earlier on like I was making a mornay and it didn't stay as nice of consistency and broke a bit.

Also, if you have a smoker, smoked sweet italian sausage is super nice. I just throw mine in at 225F with some pecan wood for around 1h. Makes a nice improvement to my cheap grocery store made sausages. We've been throwing it on salads or having one for lunch with roasted summer squash.

fart store
Jul 6, 2018

probably nobody knows
im the fattest man
maybe nobody even
people have told me
and its not me saying this
my gut
my ass
its huge
my whole body
and i have been told
did you know this
not many know this
im gonna let you in on this
some say
[inhale loudly]
im the hugest one.
many people dont know that
I made chicken marsala tonight. I got a hankering browsing a local grocer's recipes page:
https://www.dorothylane.com/recipes/chicken-marsala/

I think I got pretty close! It was really good. I've never used demi glace before, so that was a fun new thing. I think I'd like to make and freeze a big batch of my own, because a packaged tablespoon-sized glob of the stuff was almost five bucks. Worth it, though.

I went heavy on da sos.

That Works posted:

Also, if you have a smoker, smoked sweet italian sausage is super nice. I just throw mine in at 225F with some pecan wood for around 1h. Makes a nice improvement to my cheap grocery store made sausages. We've been throwing it on salads or having one for lunch with roasted summer squash.

I'll definitely try this this summer.

fart store fucked around with this message at 23:54 on May 24, 2019

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

ogarza posted:

I made breakfast tacos for dinner rube goldberg style

The salsa is so good, I'm not sure it's legal

That Works posted:

^^^ gently caress yeah.

drat. Mouth literally watering.

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019

fart store posted:

I made chicken marsala tonight. I got a hankering browsing a local grocer's recipes page:
https://www.dorothylane.com/recipes/chicken-marsala/

I think I got pretty close! It was really good. I've never used demi glace before, so that was a fun new thing. I think I'd like to make and freeze a big batch of my own, because a packaged tablespoon-sized glob of the stuff was almost five bucks. Worth it, though.

I went heavy on da sos.

I'll definitely try this this summer.

Looks great! Demi isnt hard, but it is time consuming. You gotta make a good beef stock and reduce the hell out of it. The beef stock will take about 9 hours start to finish. On the bright side, since it rolls so long, you dont cut the mire poix much at all...maybe quarter the onion and halve the celery and carrots. Roast the veggies with the bones.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

This is probably cheaper ounce per ounce than making your own, and keeps basically forever in the fridge. It takes a LOT of meat to reduce down to not very much demiglace. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0010OQQ2Q/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_Kvk6CbZV4ES04

For pan sauce stuff you can just use boxed low sodium stock and cook it down a lot after you deglaze the pan. Wait until it’s reduced to season. Demiglace does definitely take it up to the next level though.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Pan seared chicken breast with a Dijon creme fraische over farro with carrots and beets.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Posting noods

I swear there are soba noodles under there. Stir fried chicken, mushrooms, shallots, bell peppers and snow peas with a ginger soy sesame sauce.

ogarza
Feb 25, 2009

Entropic posted:

Posting noods

:dance:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ginger Beer Belly
Aug 18, 2010

Grimey Drawer
CSA asparagus, local sunny-side up egg, topped with furikake and togarashi.