Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I made spaghetti sauce from scratch for the first time. With shameful store-bought garlic bread.

I also made black raspberry cobbler.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

Thoht posted:

Good for you for branching out with the sauce, how'd it turn out? And hey, I cook in a really nice restaurant and I'm still happy to get down on some garlic bread from the store. That cobbler looks dope too, nothing's quite as summery to me as a good fruit cobbler or crisp, especially with some ice cream :3:.

It was better than every restaurant sauce I've ever had except for a super expensive place around here. It was actually really easy. Maybe 10-15 minutes of active time and then I stirred it every 15 minutes for 2 1/2 hours.

The cobbler was good, but a little burnt. I'll get it right next time. Baking is way scarier than cooking.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I made ramen with pork tenderloin marinated in soy sauce and red chili paste

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I made breakfast!

English muffin
Tomato slice
American cheese
Fried egg
Thick cut pepper bacon

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I made a big pan of roasted veggies and put them in the fridge to heat up with proteins for the next 2-3 meals.

Zucchini, sweet potatoes, potatoes, pinions, green pepper, butternut squash and carrots. Tossed in parsley and olive oil and sea salt.

Cooked at 450 for 40 minutes and I took it out at 20 and stirred them.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

Pollyanna posted:

Woah. Can I get the recipe for that asparagus?

Not empty quoting

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

His Divine Shadow posted:

-22C outside today so it felt like a good day to make "tomtegröt", or rice pudding I guess is the english word. With sugar, cinnamon and a dab of butter in the middle (we call that the "smöröga", or butter eye). Some people prefer jam instead but I definitely prefer this.

That looks awesome!

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

Entropic posted:

I cook a lot of Indian food. This is one of my go-to recipes because it's delicious and looks great but is easy to make.

Balti tamarind chicken with grape tomatoes.

It's one of those recipes with a million ingredients but where the actual process just boils down to "combine all of those ingredients into a sauce, cook the meat in the sauce, you're done".

drat that’s colorful and amazing looking. Mind sharing the recipe?

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

Cavenagh posted:

Chicken Thighs, Honey Roast Roots, Wild Rice, Blackberries

Sesame Tuna, Udon, Ginger Broth. Tuna was hacked in half with spatula by impatient toddler who really understands 'sharing' when it comes to other peoples fish.

Good lord these look amazing

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I threw together a quick stir fried rice with what I had. Kimchi, day old take out rice, dried pork and soy sauce. It was my first go and it tasted good even if it looks like poo poo.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I made Mississippi pot roast tacos with red cabbage slaw.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

Stringent posted:

People learning to cook and getting over being picky eaters are two of my favorite things to hear about, so thanks for the post.

Seconded! I love how much easier it’s gotten too. At first I would decide to make something, say chicken teriyaki or a curry. I’d have to go buy rice, the spices, the meat, the vegetables, and of course the pot to cook it in.

Now I have a nice selections of base ingredients and just need to buy veggies normally. I buy meat on sale and freeze it and for dinner I just decide on a protein and then figure out what to do with it.

Thanks for sharing your story and :justpost:

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

Buffalo honey pork chops, fried corn and rice.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

Gatts posted:

BBQ over coals Chicken Shawarma...came out great.

That looks gorgeous

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I made a scramble for dinner. It had:

Large onion
1lb ground beef
Green pepper
5 potatoes
Half a bag of frozen corn I ran under water for five minutes
Like 8 cloves of garlic, half minced half rough chopped
Salt & pepper
Cayenne
Rosemary
Thyme
Sage

I boiled the potatoes and let them cool in the fridge
I sautéed the onions, stirring constantly, for like five minutes then I added the herbs and garlic for about 2 minutes of stirring.

Then I added the ground beef I let it get on its way to brown and started picking the large bits of herbs out as I stirred them to the top.

Next I added everything else and cooked for a few more minute until everything was nice and hot and crisp.

It was good, but I’d go harder with the spices, it needs more heat. I’d also dial down the size of the green pepper I use and try roasting the potatoes next time, and possibly adding them sooner. They were mushy instead of crispy like I wanted. Maybe pre sear them in the pan and then just warm them up?

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

Elizabethan Error posted:

either your lighting is awful or the ground meat is way undercooked and gray

I have atrocious lighting in my apartment.

Also, I made strawberry cobbler.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

Matsuri posted:

Oooh, that looks good. Got a recipe?

http://divascancook.com/fresh-strawberry-cobbler-recipe-easy-dessert/

I used 4 cups of strawberries; I have a shitload. I did everything else the same. I took it out of the over at about 40, but probably should have gone the full 45.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

Amazing looking.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

You guys all plate so much better than me. Lovely food, two above me.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

Big Beef City posted:

Grilled trout stuffed with a mixture of crab meat, lemon, ricotta, and parsley.

That looks and sounds incredible.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

Everything on this page has been absolute fire. I have a few to post but the app is broken.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I made a meat sauce. Featuring cook-in-the-bag garlic bread from Kroger.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

emotive posted:

Teriyaki eggplant, sticky rice and 6 minute egg:

That looks amazing.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

Pork chops with penzy’s adobe seasoning and a spinach, bell pepper, onion, garlic and Serrano pepper veggie mix.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

One of my Christmas gifts this year was a stick blender. I made tomato soup and it was incredible. I’m going to make so many soups this winter.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

Bloodfart McCoy posted:

Sale on London Broil? Why not!? $12 fed six people.

Never cooked it before. Marinated it overnight and sliced it nice and thin, so it was super tender.

That a beautiful piece of meat.

I made Asian style pork belly tacos tonight.

Park belly marinade

Soy sauce
Grated ginger
Minced garlic
Honey
Goujang
Sesame oil
Toasted sesame seeds

Mix ingredients together. Marinate for however long you want. I did an hour. Throw the meat into a pan, cook for four minutes, flip it, four minutes again. Give it a good toss and cook for another minute or two.

Slaw

Half a head red cabbage
Quarter of a head green cabbages
1 carrot grated
Big pinch of pickled garlic
Half cup Soy sauce
Some brown sugar
Cayenne

Chop the cabbage up, put it in a strainer, salt it and let it sit for an hour. Wash the cabbage and pat it dry with paper towels. Grate the carrot into a bowl with the dry cabbage. Mix the other poo poo together in a different bowl and dump it in the other bowl. Mix it up.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

Chickpeas and eggplant stewed with tomatoes

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

toplitzin posted:

We had wings!

Pineapple peach habanero glaze, with a smaller than I should have done squirt of secret aardvark.

What an amazing char. It’s snowing here today and these made me wish for summer.

Can you post your glaze recipe?

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I made braised chicken drumsticks with onions, mushrooms, capers, and carrots in a white wine sauce. Seasoned with garlic, lemongrass, thyme, rosemary, and lemon. I seasoned the chicken with salt pepper and ancho chili powder.

It could have gone better. I should I used more lemon. The chicken skin wasn’t crispy enough because I smoked my basement apartment out and took it off early. The carrots were sliced a little big.

It’s fine, whatever. It was fun to make!

I’ve been watching poo poo loads of iron chef and chopped during quarantine. This is my first time braising and the recipe is based on like 3-4 I found online and random poo poo off my spice rack that sounded good.

Oh and I tried to thicken the sauce with cornstarch but it didn’t work because ???? I’m not sure if I didn’t use enough or reduce for long enough or what. Was still soaked up great by bread.

Arrgytehpirate fucked around with this message at 14:10 on May 13, 2020

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

mystes posted:

Should this be "ancho chili powder"? Or is "nacho chili powder" a thing?

Yeah, good catch.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I made aloo gobi tonight. It’s the first time I made Indian food but it won’t be the last!

First, despite going a bit too hard on the chili powder it was delicious! Second, I have to justify buying all the spices. Thanks to beeQWOP for suggesting it as a way to use cauliflower.

https://www.indianhealthyrecipes.com/aloo-gobi-recipe/#wprm-recipe-container-37708

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I’m on an Indian kick right now. Jaldi Banae Muttar-Aalu

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

Safety Factor posted:

Some late night etouffée

It's my old go-to, a slightly modified version of a Prudhomme recipe. I cut down on the butter a bit and add some peppers, usually jalapeño, and a bunch of garlic. I also made some pretty drat solid shrimp stock. I started with a vegetable stock base, simmered for maybe 8 hours yesterday, and then tossed in the heads and shells from my peeled shrimp for another couple of hours. I am very happy with the results. I love etouffée.

The baguette is also homemade.

Wow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

Bloodfart McCoy posted:

Steamed mussels with a nice piece of cod tonight. Woke up in a seriously mood for sea food.

Incredible