Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Stelas posted:

That does, but you won't get to research the advance - your actions would be Move-Move-Found rather than Move-Found-Advance. If you rotate the tile you can settle on the mountains, which is a-okay to do.

Yeah ok let's go with that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Persia rotates the tile and founds, then grabs a tech. Gaining Free Education spawns an Event:

Revolution posted:

Lose an action this turn, if you have any left. Transfer all of your advances from one Government category to another you have access to, if possible. You may ignore one of the above effects for each Army you choose to eliminate. Gain 2 Gold.

2 Gold for free ain't bad. Gold is a wildcard resource that can take the place of Food, Wood, or Ore.

Turn 2-1-4: It is Greece's turn! Two moves, two actions remain.

Blue - Straight White Shark - Egypt (Ramses II)
Yellow - Gutter Owl - Japan (Emperor Jimmu)
Red - Retro Futurist - Persia (Darius)
Green - frankenfreak - Greece (Alexander the Great)
Reference Post | Zoomed-In Tech Board | Condensed Rules

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
Mountains, eh?

Turn 2-1-4 - Greece

1. (cont.) Move Alexander and the army SE to D14
2. Found Olympus at B12
3. Activate Alexandria to collect 1 ore

Question for clarification: Does a leader count as one of the up to three units for the purpose of moving as a group? I assume they do, but I want to make sure.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

frankenfreak posted:

Question for clarification: Does a leader count as one of the up to three units for the purpose of moving as a group? I assume they do, but I want to make sure.

I'm not sure what you mean. A group is 'any number of units that move together from one space to another' - Leaders, Armies, Settlers included, with no limit beyond what's allowed in a space. So, in this case, you used two moves - one for the Settler, one for the Leader + Infantry.

A space may contain 4 Army units, a Leader, and theoretically any number of Settlers.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

#bastionboogerbrigade
I somehow misread something and got words mixed up. Everything's clear now that you clarified and I took another look at the rules while not waiting for my morning coffee pushing away the sleepiness. ;)

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Egypt 2-2
1. Found Egyptburg at C1
2. Advance Engineering for free (Mathematics), gain Architecture.
3. Activate Egyptopolis to expand with a temple. Skip paying any food (State Religion), pay 2 mood in lieu of 1 wood and 1 ore (Architecture). Generate 1 mood from the temple. Gain Fanaticism for free (Dogma).

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Egypt has researched Engineering! The marvels of the Great Lighthouse are revealed!

Wonders are revealed for all players as more people research Monuments and Engineering. They're first come first served... unless someone takes Monuments, in which case they can reserve one for themselves. See the reference post for what they do and what they cost.

Turn 2-2-2: It is Japan's turn!

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl
Let's start with a bang. Advance Writing.

New cards and event, por favor.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Japan researches Writing. Given that they have a government advance, Japan immediately gains an objective and an action card. First, however, Japan has reached Culture 3 and draws an Event:

Famine posted:

If you do not have Irrigation, lose 1 Food. For each Food you are unable to pay, you must reduce the mood of one of your cities directly to angry. Gold cannot be substituted for Food.

Turn 2-2-2: It is Japan's turn! Two actions remain.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

Activate Nara for food/wood/ore.
Activate Kashiwabara to build an Academy.

Spend 1 culture and zero actions (Shogunate), play Explorers. Reveal region south of Kashiwabara Nara and build a settler in Kashiwabara Nara.

EDIT: Made a mistake, can't choose Kashiwabara.

gutterdaughter fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Jan 23, 2017

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

For building an Academy, Japan gets 2 Ideas. Ideas can be used in place of Food for researching stuff.

Japan plays:

Explorers posted:

Pay 1 Culture token to play. As an action, you may both reveal a region next to a region with one of your cities, and gain a free settler in a city of your choice.

Turn 2-2-3: It is Persia's turn!

Japan may rotate the newly revealed tile, if desired. (The other cardinal rule is that 'water must touch water if possible' - that's true whichever way around the tile goes. I am however forced to point out that rotating it will make a much prettier river.) Additionally, Japan must place a Pirate on one water space on the tile.

Key things to watch for here - boats can move as many unobstructed water spaces as they like, making sea a very quick way to get around depending on how the map goes.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

Rotate, please.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Which space do you want pirates on when rotated?

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Activate Persopolis for food and start building some elephants, then get Free Education

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Retro Futurist posted:

Activate Persopolis for food and start building some elephants, then get Free Education

You don't have the ability to make Elephants yet! You need your first tech, which you get for having Husbandry.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Oh, well in that case let's take Storage, and activate both Babylon and Persopolis for food

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

Whoops, missed that. Bottom-most hex.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

#bastionboogerbrigade
Turn 2-2-4 - Greece
1. Activate Alexandria to build one army
2. Move army and settler from Alexandria NE to D14
3. Civic Improvement in Alexandria and Olympus

frankenfreak fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Jan 23, 2017

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Egypt 2-3
1. Activate Egyptopolis to build 1 army for food + ore. Gain 1 mood (Nationalism effect from Dogma via MAN GOD)
2. Advance Chemistry for free (Priesthood), trigger an event, hold onto butts

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

frankenfreak posted:

3. Activate Olympus for Civic Improvement

I'm about to crash out so I'll catch up on updates in the morning, but in case this changes your move I should point out: Civic Improvement does not activate a city. It's just an action you do. In fact, you can civically improve more than one city in a single action, if you have the mood tokens spare.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

#bastionboogerbrigade

Stelas posted:

It's just an action you do. In fact, you can civically improve more than one city in a single action, if you have the mood tokens spare.
Which I do. Thanks for pointing that out; edited my orders.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Again, if you guys could please nominate your status phase techs ahead of time, that would be very useful!

Persia spends 2 Gold on Storage and harvests 3 Food, now that the limit has been removed.
Greece happy-s up.
Egypt reaches Culture 3 and fires an Event:

Revolution (Uprising) posted:

If possible, you must either: a) Discard your current Leader and draw a new one if you have any left. The Leader starts in an Army or city of your choice, or b) Remove any number of Government advances from your Player Board. Place each cube on this card. Each is worth 1 VP at the end of the game. Buying the advances back will remove them from this card.

Turn 2-3-1 - It is Egypt's turn! One action remains.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Egypt 2-3 cont'd

So long, Rammy! Gimme a new guy in Egyptopolis.

3. Advance Metallurgy for free (Chemistry.)

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Sorry, hectic day at work. I'll update when I can, though the board is functionally the same for Japan's sake.

Egypt's new leader is Imhotep.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

Activate Kashiwabara for Food, Wood, Ore.
Activare Nara for Food, Wood, Ore.
Move Settler SE, Emperor SW.

(Take Myths for my free advance.)

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
(Free advance Tactics)

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Long live Ramses II! Imhotep now leads Egypt!

Turn 2-3-3 - It is Persia's turn!

Blue - Straight White Shark - Egypt (Imhotep)

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

I believe that Retro Futurist is now on holiday, so I'm going to make the executive decision to grab a sub.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Gotta keep that Persian revolving leadership going strong!

As a free action, I activate Darius's ability "Architect" to build an Academy in Babylon, granting me 2 Ideas

Then as my first action, I grab the Roads advance for free, due to Mathematics.

For my second action, I also take the Bartering advance using 1 Food, 1 Idea.

This will trigger an event! If the event doesn't bring me below 2 Food, then I build a Settler in Babylon for 2 Food as my third action.

I am dumb, and read FREE before "action"

Triskelli fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Jan 25, 2017

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Does Darius actually get out of paying to increase city size? I thought the 2 culture just let him do it without using an action.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

#bastionboogerbrigade
Unless something funny happens with the event, Alexander and the armies will move into the barbarian camp on my first action.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Straight White Shark posted:

Does Darius actually get out of paying to increase city size? I thought the 2 culture just let him do it without using an action.

I think you're right. Plus I'm not sure if it counts as an activation for the city. Still, a revised set of orders:

1.) Grab Roads for free.

2.) Grab Engineering for free

3.) Grab Sanitation for 2 Food, triggering an event.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Triskelli posted:

I think you're right. Plus I'm not sure if it counts as an activation for the city. Still, a revised set of orders:

Cyrus' ability counts as an activation, yeah. When referencing an actual rules thing (i.e the words 'Increase City Size'), action/resource costs and activation requirements are the same unless specifically pointed out.

Triskelli, don't forget you also get a free tech in the upcoming status phase - if you can decide that ahead of time, that'd help me speed things up.

Turn 2-3-3 - It is Persia's turn!

Persia gains Engineering, revealing the secrets of The Great Statue!
Persia also grabs Roads and Sanitation... however, this doesn't generate an Event because Persia's mood marker was in the wrong place. (It should equal the number of yellow techs bought.) Seems like this happened when there were corrections to moves. Persia's only spent 1 Mood so they should be at 3, so that's all correct now. Sorry about that!

Turn 2-3-4 - It is Greece's turn!

Greece assaults a Barbarian camp!
An action card may be played for this round, if desired.

Stelas fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Jan 26, 2017

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

I want my free tech to be Fishing Bartering.

Triskelli fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Jan 26, 2017

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Turn 2-3-4 - It is Greece's turn! Two moves, two actions remain.

Greece assaults a Barbarian camp!
Greece does not play a card.

Alexander's Army: 2 Army + The Known World = 2d6 + 1 = 5! 1 hit!
Barbarian Defenders: 1 Army = 1d6 = 4! 0 hits!

The camp is taken! For capturing a barbarian camp which had 1 Army in it, Greece gets 1 Gold.
Greece may either raze the camp for another Gold, or claim it as their own, turning it into an angry settlement.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

#bastionboogerbrigade
Turn 2-3-4 - Greece
1. (cont) The Greeks claim this backwater that would have never amounted to anything without our guidance and culture. We allow it to keep its name, Roma.
Continuing the move action, settler SE to E15
2. Activate Alexandria to collect 1 food and 1 ore
3. Advance Rituals

Status Phase: Advance Engineering

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

A bunch of counts just got updated because the original spreadsheet was wrong.

Note that Greece may not rotate the newly-revealed tile, because the first and foremost priority is linking up existing water spaces.

STATUS PHASE 2

Egypt reveals ADVANCED - Status Phase: You have at least six advances, and more than any other player.
Persia reveals CITY PLANNER - Status Phase: You have all four Construction advances.

Pliny's Most Powerful Civilizations of the World, Vol. II posted:

Egypt - 3 (Cities) + 8 (Advances) + 2 (Objectives) + 0 (Wonders) + 0 (Events) = 13
Japan - 4 (Cities) + 5 (Advances) + 0 (Objectives) + 0 (Wonders) + 0 (Events) = 9
Persia - 2 (Cities) + 5 (Advances) + 2 (Objectives) + 0 (Wonders) + 0 (Events) = 9
Greece - 3 (Cities) + 3 (Advances) + 0 (Objectives) + 0 (Wonders) + 0 (Events) = 6

Egypt learns Tactics, earning an Event.

Local Flood posted:

Reduce the mood of one of your coastal cities, if possible.
Japan learns Myths, also earning an Event.

Migration posted:

Select another player to get a Settler in a city of his choice, and reduce the mood of one of your cities if possible. Gain 2 Gold.
Persia learns Bartering. More events!!

Great Philosopher posted:

Put this card on the table. The first player to pay 1 Culture may, as an action, both: a) Gain a free Education advance, b) Get 2 Ideas. Barbarians appear!
Greece learns Engineering, revealing the secrets of the Great Mausoleum!

Everyone gets a new action and objective card. These have been updated on your inventories.

With 5 Mood and 4 Culture, Persia is now the first player.

TURN 3-1-1 - It is Persia's turn!

Action Queue:
- Egypt: Reduce the mood of a city, or activate Myths.
- Persia: Spawn Barbarian Camp + 1 Army within 2 squares of one of your cities, then 1 Army/Elephant/Cavalry in any Barbarian Camp.
- Persia: Select city to gain Settler.
- All players: Change leader?
- All players: Optionally raze a size 1 city for 1 Gold?

Red - Triskelli - Persia (Darius)
On Board - Great Philosopher - The first player to pay 1 Culture may, as an action, both: a) Gain a free Education advance, b) Get 2 Ideas.

Stelas fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Jan 26, 2017

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

#bastionboogerbrigade

Stelas posted:

A bunch of counts just got updated because the original spreadsheet was wrong.
Shouldn't I still have the gold from the barbarian camp as well as the one ore collected?

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

frankenfreak posted:

Shouldn't I still have the gold from the barbarian camp as well as the one ore collected?

Whoops, yes. Fixing now. Status Phase is always a bit of a clusterfuck, so many little things to move and check.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

Use Myths, give the settler to Persia.

• Locked thread