Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

I'll take a spin on the Wheel O' Disappointment. Sign me up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Stelas posted:

Sorry about that! I'd actually already started setting everything up, I'm afraid. There will be other games!

No problem! I've played Z-man Gaming's other Sid Meier knockoff, Merchants & Marauders, so I'm just interested in seeing this one played. Reading over the rules though, I imagine Japan is out of the drawing? With rules as written there's no way for them to use their "Subterfuge" ability in a PbP game.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

What is your stance on non-players commenting in the thread? I'll sign up as a substitute if one is needed.

E: Also, the Vikings sound pretty ridiculous? Pull Eric the Red and you've got free VP for every region on the board, plus getting the chance to really define exploration by swapping between settlers and boats on a whim. Also, is there a typo on the Wu Zeitan entry? It says she gets two VP for every combat round she has a bigger army than her opponent. I assume it's supposed to be CV, otherwise that sounds like it could snowball extremely quickly.

Triskelli fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Jan 17, 2017

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Stelas posted:

Egypt techs up en masse, and I'm still not really sure why Priesthood catapults Science.

"There was a time when I searched for steel, when steel meant more to me than gold or jewels... but steel isn't strong, boy; flesh is stronger."

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Gotta keep that Persian revolving leadership going strong!

As a free action, I activate Darius's ability "Architect" to build an Academy in Babylon, granting me 2 Ideas

Then as my first action, I grab the Roads advance for free, due to Mathematics.

For my second action, I also take the Bartering advance using 1 Food, 1 Idea.

This will trigger an event! If the event doesn't bring me below 2 Food, then I build a Settler in Babylon for 2 Food as my third action.

I am dumb, and read FREE before "action"

Triskelli fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Jan 25, 2017

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Straight White Shark posted:

Does Darius actually get out of paying to increase city size? I thought the 2 culture just let him do it without using an action.

I think you're right. Plus I'm not sure if it counts as an activation for the city. Still, a revised set of orders:

1.) Grab Roads for free.

2.) Grab Engineering for free

3.) Grab Sanitation for 2 Food, triggering an event.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

I want my free tech to be Fishing Bartering.

Triskelli fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Jan 26, 2017

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Phew okay.

Spawn Barbarian Camp at G15

Place an additional Barbarian Army unit in the camp at G15.

Place my free settler at Persopolis

Then for my actual turn.

1.) Spend 1 Culture for the free Education Advance and two ideas. I will acquire Free Education

2.) Collect 1 Wood and 1 Ore from Babylon.

f.) As a Free Action, use Architect in Babylon to build an Academy with 1 food, 1 ore, 1 wood. This will give me two ideas but reduce Babylon to Neutral mood.

3.) Advance to Currency. This should trigger an additional event.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Before Stelas processes your turn Frankenfreak, would you like to trade your 1 gold for 1 mood token? If you don't wish to take it, then I'll sweeten the deal to 1 gold for 2 mood tokens for Straight White or Gutter Owl.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

frankenfreak posted:

Not interested, sorry.

Posted the initial offer in case you didn't see it in time, I'll offer you two mood for one gold as well.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Nothing I can offer anyone for a single gold coin? How about 1 Gold Coin for 1 2 Mood tokens now and 1 gold on my turn? Pure profit, all it costs is a little trust! Spread the wealth! :bernin:

Ah nuts to resources and luxuries, you gentlemen are the more discerning sort! Invest in Persia today for the low, low price of 1 gold coin and receive the Mercenaries action card AND your money back! Join the wonderful world of high-finance and war profiteering today! (Limited time offer extended to only the current turn.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YUiBBltOg4

Triskelli fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Jan 26, 2017

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Man, when I'm filthy rich y'all are gonna be so jealous. I even offered an action card but nooope, all that unspent gold is somehow worth more than its face value.

Anyway let's get crackin'.

1.) Civic Improvement, spend 3 mood tokens to get my cities up to Happy.

2.) Activate Babylon, collect 2 Food, 1 Ore (1 idea from Public Education)

3.) Activate Persopolis, collect 1 Ore, 1 Wood.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

1.) Collect 1 food, 1 Ore from Persopolis
2.) Build 2 Infantry in Babylon
3.) Advance Tactics with 2 ideas (+1 mood)

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

If you don't feel like picking it back up I'm fine with finishing up with Persia.

E: oh, and Draft for the bonus advance.

Triskelli fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Jan 30, 2017

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Ew, not many places to put that new camp. Place it at K-11, and place an Elephant at A-7.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

And I think I've got the first move again, so might as well get this one out of the way:

1.) Activate Persopolis for 1 food, 1 ore, 1 wood (1 idea from Public Education)

2.) Move my army + my leader in Persopolis to the barb camp two spaces away using Roads (1 food, 1 ore to ignore terrain), and move the settler in Babylon north to the barrens. Use the Tactical Surprise action card to turn any single hit into an extra hit, and Immortals to add +2 CV at the cost of 2 culture.

...and I'll wait until that's resolved, actually. That should bring me to:

Food: 2
Wood: 2
Ore: 1

Mood: 4
Culture: 2
Ideas: 2

I'm really kicking myself for not picking Fishing as my free advance, but no take-backsies should be the rule we all live by.

Triskelli fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Jan 31, 2017

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Keep Barbarian camp.

3.) Purchase Great Architect. Free advance is Navigation.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Oh, then Fishing.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Shoot, uh...

Scratch that #3, here's a revised order.

Keep Barbarian Camp

Play Good Ideas for two free ideas.

Advance Monuments, and reserve the Great Lighthouse.

Triskelli fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Feb 1, 2017

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Sorry for the confused orders last night, but I've got it all straightened out. Just in case Stelas doesn't see the revision I want to play my Good Ideas action card for two Ideas, keep the camp and rename it Susa, then advance Monuments with 2 Ideas for +1 Culture and to reserve the Great Lighthouse.

So I guess everybody's turtling a little bit this game, huh? Can't believe I had to rob convince some barbarians of the fiscal abilities of the Persian banks!

Triskelli fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Feb 1, 2017

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Japan's is where it needs to be with 4 turns +1 for Writing and a government advance, but yeah I currently have two completed objectives and two incomplete ones. Any trading is supposed to happen on the table.

Incidentally Egypt Great White, I have an objective for researching all Science advances, do you have any objectives you don't feel you can complete quickly?

Triskelli fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Feb 1, 2017

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

+1 gold from Banking

1.) Advance Fishing with two ideas (+1 mood from Public Ed.)

2. Civic Improvement on Susa, bringing it to Happy.

As a free action, Activate Susa to build a Port with 1 ore, 1 food, 1 wood.

Spend 1 food for the free settler.

3.) Activate Babylon for 1 idea, 2 wood, and 1 food.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

I'll drop a gold for the pirates. Have the Port face F-14, throw the Barb camp on F-12 and an extra infantry unit on that. Enjoy the two gold, Frankenfreak.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

+1 gold from Banking

1.) Activate Babylon for 2 wood, 1 ore. (1 idea)
2.) Activate Susa and build 3 ships (5 wood, 1 gold.
3.) Move the settler at Susa to the desert at E15 using Roads and 1 food. Move the settler north of Persopolis to I9, move the fleet to the pirates at G13.

THE PERSIANS SET SAIL

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

I'll take tile 6 with the water facing south. My free tech will be Trade Routes

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Oh and I forgot to add, but I'm dismissing my leader this turn.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Okay, so:

Place Xerxes in Susa

1.) Purchase the Architect for 1 culture to grab Cartography.

2.) Move my ships, 1 to the pirates at E13, 2 to the pirate at G11.

3.) Advance Nationalism with 2 Ideas (gaining 1 Mood)

Also making an open offer of 2 Mood tokens for every culture token I receive.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Gutter Owl posted:

Are players permitted to trade culture/mood? I can't find rules for it in the manual.

Pg 14,

quote:

During your turn, you may trade with other players. You may
also trade with a player during that player’s turn. You may trade
(at whatever cost you can agree on):
• Resources
• Action cards
• Objective cards
• Mood tokens
• Culture tokens
Trade deals with an immediate transaction of the above items
must be fulfilled. Verbal agreements of a diplomatic/political
kind, as well as loans and transactions to happen at a later time,
are not enforced by the game. Only the players’ conscience and
goals determine the validity of such agreements.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

I'll take both, it was an open offer v:v:v

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Actually yeah, move my settler from I9 to I7, putting me in trade range with Japan.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Just want to check, there's a typo for the Great Lighthouse entry in the reference. Does it cost 3 Wood, 5 Food, or does it cost 5 Wood, 3 Food?

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

I'll place the new tile with the forest facing north, and the barbarian camp on the edge of the map.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Okay, so. +1 gold from Banking for a max of 8 shiny coins.

I trade with Japan and Greece for +3 Food.

1.) Advance Chemistry with two ideas (+1 Mood). Play Tech Synergy to advance Metallurgy simultaneously, netting me an additional +2 culture. I also play Idea Synergy for +2 Ideas.

2.) Advance Absolute Power with 2 ideas (+1 Mood).

So my resources shake out to 3F, 1O, 0W, 0I, 4C, 7M, 8G.

I now activate Susa, build the Great Lighthouse as a free action (3Ore, 5Wood, 3Food, 5Culture), using 1 Ore, 3 Food, 7 Gold, and 3 Culture. This grants me a free ship in the city.

3.) Move my three ships to the south coast of Nara at H6.

4.) I spend 2 mood to activate Absolute Power and Collect 1 food, wood, ore, and Idea at Babylon.

Triskelli fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Feb 16, 2017

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Straight White Shark posted:

I think you've got another action Triskelli, part of the benefit of reserving a wonder with Monuments is that it no longer costs an action to build.

Oh, got it. Revised orders are edited into my post.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

E: vvv :science: vvv

Triskelli fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Feb 17, 2017

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Well the two culture came from Xerxes' ability Great Builder, which gives me a discount for building Wonders.

Triskelli fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Feb 17, 2017

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Gain 5 Gold for the start of the turn (1 from banking, 4 from trades.)

1.) Activate Susa to build a Market with 1 Ore, 1 Food, and 1 Wood. Move
2.) Activate Babylon to collect 1 food, 1 Ore, 1 wood (1 idea from Public Education)
3.) Advance Husbandry with 2 Ideas (+1 Mood from Free Education)

I now spend 2 Mood for a fourth action.
4.) Activate Susa a second time to build 1 elephant, and 1 cavalry for 1 gold, 1 wood, and two food.

e: I use my free ship movements from the Lighthouse to move the max amount of ships from the coast of Japan to the sea tile next to Epirus.

Triskelli fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Feb 21, 2017

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Yeah swap that to 1 food, 2 gold. And yes, I am fine with Susa reverting to normal status. Oh, and my bonus tech will be Taxation.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Let's see, I cap at 8 gold (1 from Banking, 2 from trade routes), and converting my remaining two trade routes to Food

1.) Activate Persopolis to build 2 Infantry for 1 food, 1 gold, 1 Mood. I'll take 1 culture from Nationalism.

2.) Advance Steel Weapons at zero cost.

3.) Move the army at Persopolis to the neighboring barbarian camp, and my two settlers to I9 and F16.

I'll wait for the combat resolution to decide on my fourth move. Frankenfreak, you aren't considering a fast ferry to Susa, are you? :mil101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Sure buddy. I'll pop two mood tokens for my fourth action regardless of the Barb result.

4.) I choose to activate Susa and Build 2 Infantry for 4 gold (grabbing a Culture from Nationalism. I'll move my lonely ship to meet up with the rest of the fleet.

• Locked thread