Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Astus
Nov 11, 2008

With the destruction of the Death Star, the Alliance proved that the Empire was not invincible, despite their propaganda claiming otherwise. This huge victory lead to am increase in activity from rebel cells the galaxy over, and to an increase in recruits. Maybe you signed on at this point yourself, or perhaps you've been with the Alliance for a while now. For just the briefest of moments, it seemed like things were finally looking up. But even with the loss of the Death Star, the Empire still has almost limitless resources and weapons, and it did not take long for them to crack down on the increased activity of the rebels.

You have personal experience at how effective the Empire can be at wiping rebel bases off the map. Either as part of a desperate defense, or simply being at the wrong place at the wrong time, you were forced to evacuate and have been bouncing around from planet to planet trying to find a place to rest and figure out what to do next without having to worry about a squad of stormtroopers kicking in the door. Eventually, other Alliance agents pointed you towards a hidden base on a mostly empty planet that was currently short on manpower. With no other options, you decided to sign up at Watercrest Outpost.

Turns out Watercrest is actually a failed resort for the rich in the Outer Rim that the Alliance bought and "reopened" as a cover for their base. While a couple of the "guests" are actually legitimate, as Watercrest does need to keep up its cover, the rest of the resort has been turned into a command center for Alliance Intelligence operations in the surrounding systems. Unfortunately, Watercrest is always short on supplies, and losses have left them short on agents to go into the field. So long as you help the base out and pull your weight, you can use one of the empty guest rooms as a place to stay. Beats an Imperial detention facility any day.

Hey, I'm trying my hand at running FFG's Star Wars rpg again, this time using Age of Rebellion. The game will be focused on improving Watercrest Outpost and disrupting Imperial operation on the surrounding planets, and takes place in-between A New Hope and The Empire Strikes Back. I'm looking for 4-5 players, any career is fine, even ones from Edge of the Empire or Force and Destiny, although you'll need a reason why you're sticking with the Alliance.

Character Creation rules:
* Even if you choose a Career from Edge of the Empire or Force and Destiny, you will be using Duty instead of Obligation or Morality
* Everyone start with 10 Duty, although you can start with less to get more experience or credits as normal
* Only official races allowed, so no Unofficial Menagerie races
* After spending your starting experience, you also get 100 additional experience that cannot be spent on characteristics.

I very much recommend you use as much of your normal starting experience as possible on your characteristics, as it gets a lot harder to raise them later. Here's a link to a character generator, although I think it hasn't been updated with some of the more recent books, so some options may not be available.

Feel free to ask me questions either in this thread or on the Discord server I set up for the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug

Lohkruda, Driver/Recruit

You want the best driver, you come to Lohkruda. There is nothing I cannot drive. I was king of the Podracing circuit on Malastare, and one day I will return and be king again. This was not Podracing as many remember it, like it was in the days before the Empire banned it, no. The races are held in secret now. No more cheering crowds on hundreds of worlds, and the bets come only from warlords, scum, and Dugs who hope that one day our sport will regain its former glory. There are no credits to maintain the machines, and the courses are even deadlier because no one maintains them either. There are certainly no credits to pay anyone to enforce the "rules." Ha! As though that would matter. We Dugs understand that rules are made to be broken. The only real rule is, "Don't get caught."

But it is not the Empire's ban on Podracing that made me leave Malastare for the stars and the Rebellion, no, although that is a part of it. We demand our independence. We demand our planet back from the Gran filth that infest it. Malastare is our world, not theirs! They came to our world and took it, and the Republic enforced the will of those thieves! The Empire is cruel, yes, but we do not hate them completely, because they are also cruel to the Gran. But still, the Dug will not accept the rule of others, whether they are Gran or Imperial. We will rule ourselves, and we will live where we please on Malastare, and we will do as we please on Malastare.

That is why I have joined the Rebellion. In the hope that perhaps, finally, someone will listen to our grievances. For a Podracer like me, all these other vehicles are slow and easy. Speeding through a battlefield is no different than my old profession, really. I wish I could do it more, but I have been forced to flee the ruins of less hidden bases, and now I cannot find a front-line position. I have come to to this hiding place, this "Watercrest Hotel." Pah! Idle pleasures like the ones this place offers will never be enjoyed by my people while the oppressors remain. But showing the galaxy that the Dug deserve respect is more important than my feelings, so I will tolerate this place, just like I tolerate those in the Rebellion who disfavor the Dug. Reluctantly and angrily. At least there is a bar here. If I am not tinkering with a vehicle, I wait there impatiently for the next mission, drinking and playing cards. If the legitimate patrons work up the courage to speak to an angry Dug (as if any of them believe there is any other kind of Dug), I tell them I am a washed-up ex-Podracer with nowhere else to be. It is the truth, mostly.

I will help this Rebellion to smash the Empire, piece by piece, mission by mission. With no Empire there will be no ban on Podracing. The credits and fame will return to us. More importantly, perhaps this new government will remove the invaders from our world. I do not hold out much hope for this. The Dug are small. Our voice is small. The galaxy has told us again and again that we do not matter. But we are strong, and fierce, and clever. They say we are brutes, but we are no more brutish than others have made us. I will show them all to respect us, or die trying.

Dachshundofdoom fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Jan 18, 2017

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?
Yeah you know I'm making a dude for this.

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013
Too many star wars games. Will need to make something.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
I plan to too. I figure if I app for enough Star Wars games, I'll eventually get in one (or not, because my characters are terrible).

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Werix posted:

Too many star wars games.

Heresy!

I will make something, probably BT-LR, the galaxy's most heavily armed food service droid.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Is there a rough deadline for character apps?

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

Dachshundofdoom posted:

I guess it's time to find out what this Star Wars thing is all about. Dug something-or-other incoming, probably an Ace? I dunno what's good yet, it's my first time with the system. I'll figure it out.

Did the Empire make Dugs illegal? They look gross.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Would have been all over this on Discord.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
yeah i'll make something

Bas Awlty, Quartermaster.

Here by accident, applied for a job as a hotel manager and completely by coincidence his application contained code phrases identifying him as a Rebel agent.

quote:

Don't mention the Rebellion! I did once, but I think I got away with it!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6L2ZvIpEfQhT3NIazdQME0zY0E/view?usp=sharing

thatbastardken fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Jan 16, 2017

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil
Submitting a thing. Need to take a look at the books before I decide, though I'm thinking some sort of bruiser.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants
Ooh, gonna try to make a Slicer type character who's also an accountant. Good at computers and money. He can be a bookkeeper/finance guy for his cover story. Have to go through the books again to see what specialization fits best if not just straight Slicer.

Astus
Nov 11, 2008

Drone posted:

Is there a rough deadline for character apps?

Recruitment will be open for at least a week, most likely longer if there's a lot of interest.

Ramba Ral
Feb 18, 2009

"The basis of the Juche Idea is that man is the master of all things and the decisive factor in everything."
- Kim Il-Sung

Marclonus Contarus - Performer

quote:

Datapad Journal of Marclonus Contarus
Entry 35:

Big hit about to happen. I finally catch a lucky break on Nar Shaddaa and about to get off this drat rock with a group. Proved I know how to wail on the keytar and all. So, grabbed my stuff and reported to Corellia's Dream. This is my chance! Going to play out in the Core Worlds. Face it! Marclonus Contarus is going to be the next big thing in the galaxy. Finally! No more working drat dive bars in a dangerous part of the planet, but then again, I grew up here my whole life.

Entry 42:

So, pirates came and took us all prisoners and such. About to be sold to slavery and all, but a Rebel fighter squadron scared them off. Troops entered the ship and administered medical care with them. Talked with them a bit. Man, I am glad for them, but I won't be caught dead joining them. I owe them my life and all, and apparently they need me to perform at some local Imperial garrison and all. Well, it is not like I am officially joining the Rebellion and all and I owe them this.

Entry 44:

I officially got my commission within the Alliance. Ceremony is lowkey and all, which I don't mind. I am in it for the fight, man. The galaxy needs people like us to stand up for the little man and all. All I know is I got to really double down on the entertainer side of my cover to get key Alliance personnel in and all. Got a big hit going on, apparently we are going to get dirt on a corrupt Moff in the Corellia sector. Guess who is going to be the headline entertainer? Me! Plus, apparently knowing how to run a musical group and all translates well to military command. Who knew? Got a Imperial military manual to help with any short comings that would definitely come up.

Entry 45:

Things went smoothly. Very razor thin and all that, managed to convince some Imperial soldiers we were digging up dirt to put down the corrupt moff. We did get the info and all, but it would also benefit the Alliance in the long run. Thank God for that Imperial Military manual so I could at least sound official on the radio that we sliced into and all.

Entry 48:

We had to bug out of our base in Talus. The Empire caught wind of Rebel activity here and has begun to clamp down. Been on the run since, our cell had to split up, I am staying at Watercrest Hotel at the moment. If anything, I asked if they needed me to help with their front operations and aid in Alliance activity. I am no soldier, but I am willing to continue to help them. They saved my life from those pirates and I owe them that. If not, I guess I'll be heading elsewhere and maybe reunite with the rest of my squad.

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!
Thom Xareec, Eagle-Eyed Tryhard

A crack shot with something to prove, Thom has been a sport hunter as long as he can remember. Unfortunately, he's also been a bit too competitive as far back as he can remember as well. Egged on at first by his peers and then by pretty much anyone willing to make a bet, if you point out a target and make a wager or otherwise ask him to take the shot, he will take that shot, determined to hit the target, win the prize, and impress. Unfortunately, between his choice of outfit, his tone of voice, and this try-hard attitude, he comes off as a dork who could blow your head off, albeit you'd be too busy laughing to notice. This only further drives Thom to try to be taken seriously as the sharpshooter he is, to the point where he took a 1000-credit bet to fire at a bird's nest a salt pan away. He hit his mark dead-on, albeit with one snag: this bird's nest was actually the furry, unkempt hat being worn by an Imperial scout who decided it was too cold and foggy that day to use the helmet's visor to see.

Needless to say, the rest of the recon unit spotted the perpetrator of this successful, if inadvertent assassination, and gave chase. Since then, Thom's been hiding out with the Rebellion, still taking on marksmanship challenges and any kind of wetwork he can get his mitts on, in the hopes that it will, at some point, get him the respect he believes he deserves, instead of being that guy that nobody wants on their team despite his innate talents.

quote:

Human, Soldier (Sharpshooter)

Duty: 5
XP: 5

Characteristics: 3 Brawn, 3 Agility, 2 Intellect, 3 Cunning, 2 Willpower, 2 Presence

Skills: 3 Ranged (Heavy), 3 Perception, 2 Survival, 2 Athletics, 1 Cool, 1 Ranged (Light), 1 Stealth, 1 Streetwise, 1 Skulduggery

Talents: Expert Tracker (5) Sniper Shot (5), Grit (5), True Aim (10+15), Lethal Blows (10)

Equipment: Handheld Commlink (25), Macrobinoculars (75), Blaster Pistol (400), Blaster Rifle (900+100, Accurate +1) + Telescopic Sight (250) + Forearm Grip (250), Armored Clothing (1000)

Unknown Quantity fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Feb 19, 2017

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug

Skellybones posted:

Did the Empire make Dugs illegal? They look gross.

Worse. They banned Podracing.

Hey Astus, I see from the books that even though Driver is technically a career, that's a lot more statlines/material about space combat than atmospheric/ground in AoR. Would it work better for your campaign if I made this guy a Pilot or Gunner instead?

Astus
Nov 11, 2008

Dachshundofdoom posted:

Worse. They banned Podracing.

Hey Astus, I see from the books that even though Driver is technically a career, that's a lot more statlines/material about space combat than atmospheric/ground in AoR. Would it work better for your campaign if I made this guy a Pilot or Gunner instead?

I'm fine with a driver, there's always room for a high-speed chase or two. Ground vehicle combat is basically just personal combat on a larger scale, which is why there aren't as many words about it in the books. Still plenty of stats for ground vehicles.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
Jarnak “Shortcut” Uluthru, Watercrest Hotel Valet

quote:

To: Jarnak Uluthru
From: Tandar Belzik, Coruscant Branch Manager, Red Gizka Transportation Company
Subject: NOTICE OF TERMINATION

Jarnak,

Look, believe me when I say that firing you wasn’t my first choice. Everyone knows you’re the best driver in the fleet, even if your methods are… well, let’s just say some of those 1 star reviews on the Holonet were pretty well-deserved. But that latest stunt-dropping off an Imperial Officer on Level 1312? You and I both know that’s murder even if you didn’t pull the trigger yourself, and you’re just lucky I was able to alter the driver logs before the ISB came knocking. But I’m not going to be able to cover for you anymore-I have a promotion to Corporate waiting, and that Imp-lover Jex is next in line to replace me. So really, this is the best for the both of us.

But you’re my friend, and I’m not going to leave you out in the cold. I’ve got a tip that there’s a place out in the Outer Rim that might be a good fit for someone of your… political inclinations. I can’t tell you anything else, but just ask Doris in Receiving about the Watercrest-she’ll be able to set you up with the right people.

So good luck out there, kid. Oh, and you've got 24 hours to clear out your locker and return your speeder, or else your last paycheck is forfeit. We might be friends, but I’m still your boss.

-Tandar

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013

R4-AD "Richard" Watercrest hotel Concierge

sheet

Whenever a property gets sold, all of the fixtures of the property go with it, and when the Rebellion bought the Watercrest, R4 was one of those fixtures. During the Hotel's glory days R4, often called "Richard" so as to ease the guests minds, was the go to if an guest needed anything. Arranging taxi services, coordinating room service, and assisting guests in getting reservations at near-by restaurants, Richard did it all. As The hotel got fewer and fewer guests, his duties expanded to include laundry service, delivering room service, and ultimately being the only employee at the hotel.

When new owners bought the place he was ecstatic, though the excitement quickly faded when the new owners started to install safe rooms and communication equipment. The Rebellion found themselves with a droid that wanted very much to stay out of their business, but having something like Richard around was a liability. So Rebellion slicers poked around in Richard's head and gave him a good reprogramming. The droid already had the local contacts to acquire everything from toiletries to food. May as well jail break his programming, put in some false duty to the Rebellion, and keep the droid around to keep their operations running.

Richard was none too happy about this, and while his programming requires him to now assist the Rebellion, he makes his displeasure known at every opportunity. This usually is accomplished by petty passive aggressive acts towards the Rebellion agents staying there as guests, like failure of turn down service, not providing fresh towels, being woefully late in delivering room service, and never having warm caf in the briefing room.

He is nothing but a gentleman to the few actual legitimate guests the hotel now gets.

Werix fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Jan 17, 2017

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

Pictured firing at something off-screen

Barooq 'Battle-Mound' Bakkar Watercrest Hotel Doctor
Soldier/Medic, good at fighting, healing, and surviving

Recruited and trained as part of his homeworld's initial goodwill effort to support the Alliance, the triumphant ceremony for raising the troops was interrupted by a punitive Imperial invasion. While most were trapped on the ground, some transports made it to orbit and escaped the blockading fleet, fleeing into the lawless and wild regions the Empire tended to avoid.

After evading pirates, gangsters, Imperials and worse, the remnants of the raising were rescued by the Alliance and incorporated into their forces, split off into myriad assignments. Barooq's largely ambivalent opinion of the Empire has changed to strong disapproval, as news came in of the harsh military rule inflicted on his homeworld. Still, life goes on and the light years of distance means it is well outside his control, so what is there to do but follow orders and see what comes next?

Barooq has survived a few boarding actions, planetary landings, and desperate holdouts, each time coming out more or less in one piece, surrounded by wounded piled high. It is thanks to the quick and decisive use of stimpacks, stimpacks, more stimpacks and sometimes other medical tools that so many fellow soldiers and bystanders have survived in proximity to him. Every casualty that survives can go on to fight another day, worth just as much as the fresh new recruit that would have replaced them. It's not the most glamorous job, but he's good at it and is more than happy to keep doing it. Let the others be the high-speed pilots, the mysterious spies and assassins, the rabble-rousing orators. Barooq will be there patching everyone up so they can do it again tomorrow.

Barooq doesn't have particularly strong opinions on his new posting at a hotel, but wherever there are Rebels there are bound to be casualties, and posing as the on-site doctor is as good a cover as any. Tending to the heart palpitations and sunburns of elderly guests is not his idea of the exciting Rebel Alliance life he was promised, but surely something interesting must happen soon? Why else would a combat medic be assigned here?

He just hopes he brought enough stimpacks.

Skellybones fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Jan 17, 2017

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

Vosaymtrip "Vos" Krebap - Watercrest Hotel Bookkeeper

Being an alien on Imperial Center was not easy, but Vosaymtrip Krebap made the best of it. He'd come to the planet as a young man to work in the Elomin senator's office, back when the planet was still called Coruscant. However, he found political work not to his liking, too unpredictable, especially as the Clone Wars began. He hadn't spent years learning Republic law for nothing though.
Like many of his species, he had an affinity for digging the logic out of complex systems and so he transitioned his efforts into the accounting profession. Through the Clone Wars, through the fall of the Republic and the rise of the Empire, Vos toiled in an office over datapads and ledgers. It just so happened that those ledgers were for many a prominent person in what transformed into the Imperial Governmant.

As the sentiment on Imperial Center changed towards one not so friendly with nonhumans, Vos found he was just humanoid enough and just useful enough to avoid the worst of it. At least at the beginning. While the fact that no one wanted to learn the Imperial Tax Code like he had kept him safe for a while, the bigotry of the Imperial Way marched on. Five years ago, that same senator he once worked for contacted him with an offer to help him leave Imperial Center. All he needed to do was take all of the financial information he had on the various Imperial diplomats he'd worked for with him and deliver them to the Rebellion.

Vos agreed and was smuggled off planet to a Rebel base. To his displeasure the Rebel Alliance did not just let him drop off the data and be on his merry way. He was "retained" to help sort through years of tax returns and financial statements and help identify any useful or compromising information. Eventually he was assigned data that wasn't even among what he had given to the Rebellion. Despite his initial intentions Vos realised he was in fact, a full-fledged Rebel.

Vos has gone through some basic training in combat, code breaking and counter-intelligence and at the ripe young age of 48 has been assigned to his first field operation. He would be in charge of the resources of Watercrest Hotel and endeavor to help the operation be self sufficient as well as identify intelligence of a financial nature that could be transmitted back to the Alliance.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

Keraun, Watercrest Hotel Chef

Some Trandoshan seek glory not through combat and the hunt, but through mastery of an art. Keraun is one such Trandoshan, seeking perfection in the culinary arts rather than the martial. A friendly and jovial fellow, he greatly enjoys his position as the day-time cook at the hotel, and arrived some time ago alongside the Selonian, Dr. Anang Nner'bell, his closest friend and confidant. The two share much history together and have a good number of in-jokes, and seem wholly uninvolved with the greater conflict raging throughout the galaxy.

But friendly as he is, Keraun keeps his past to himself; the most he reveals is that, yes, he no longer holds a score and has been captured at one point in his life, but while his mood sinks while recalling this moment in his history, he will always turn it around with a grin and a sauce, stating confidently, "But then is not now! Now, I make delicious flapcakes and panjacks, and my little ferret-girl friend tends to my burns! Ha ha! There is much to be happy about, so why dwell on what can not be changed when we can focus on the future we can shape, starting with what you would like me to cook up for you?"

It should be noted, however, that the Trandoshan cook is not quite close to being a master of his art, and seems to be employed solely for the brute strength he has; no other cook can carry as many supplies to and from the larder with such ease, and the trandoshan's strength is nigh legendary in the hotel. The old lizard carries a telescoping stun baton, for those rare times where he has to calm down some unruly guests in the dining hall; drink and sour attitudes do not mix well, but they can be brought to heel with a firm strike against the back of the head.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
I'm planning on making a Bothan slicer. Will have him up tomorrow.

Axqu
Nov 28, 2016

I'm a hot bitch angel named Panty. And no matter what anyone says,
I DO WHAT I FUCKING WANT!

Dr. Anang Nner'bell - Selonian doctor

Character sheet

Anang grinned over her shoulder at the trandoshan she was currently using as a backrest. "Hey. Hey Ker. Be careful around the hotel, okay? You know there's usually something nasty going around at those sorts of places. When the drinks start flowing and the inhibitions come down, the transmission rate for cloacal mites goes way, way up."

She was giving him poo poo, but then again, she almost always gave Keraun poo poo. She liked to think she balanced him out. He'd been, by far, her most interesting patient-- and this included the Chiss whose bad cybernetic implants she'd had to amputate, and the Spice-junkie of a Wookiee she'd had to pump full of a near-lethal dose of stimulants so his heart wouldn't stop beating.

There was life outside the den, and Anang had found it. The Rebellion was exciting: so many species to study, and so many specimens to collect. She'd been able to practice on the absolute razor's edge of medical science... and she'd gained a friend for life. All because she'd stopped to drag a mostly-dead trandoshan into a cave and nurse him back to health.

Keraun indulged her curiosity, and listened patiently while she chattered about her own discoveries. She liked that in a friend. In a way, he'd become her surrogate den. Not like she could ever go back to her den, after... well, after her crime. She'd told a lie, to serve her own interests. Anang shook her head to clear it and rubbed at her eyes. Best to forget certain things.

Anang pulled out her datapad and started scrolling through it, reading up about genetic defects in certain Drall lineages that caused spontaneous tumor growth in the spine. "Remind me to run a genetic inventory on you the next time I have a fully-equipped lab," she murmured, absorbed for the moment in her datapad. She idly wondered what sort of medical facilities the hotel would have. Anang didn't need a cover story. Of course a hotel that big would need a doctor on retainer. Gods forbid some celebrity overdosed on spice in their room, or died with a rope around their neck and their hands down their--

"Also remind me to remind you to shower more. You're coming up on a shed, and I don't want you to forget to take care of yourself just because you're going to be busy. Pulling on a stuck shed could damage your new growth." Because she wouldn't fuss if she didn't care.

An opportunity to get her claws dirty doing what she did best-- snatching people from the jaws of death-- and a chance to satisfy her own curiosity in the process? Well, Anang certainly couldn't pass that up. If she was lucky, she'd integrate into the community, but having Keraun there was good.

Adventure and discovery. Her Queen could stuff it.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

BT-LR

Style. Precision. A flawless Coruscanti accent. Being an assassin used to have requirements. To hear BT-LR tell it, the past 20 years have seen the galaxy overrun with un-mannered, poorly dressed ruffians who will knife a man on the street for the price of lunch. That's offensive on a deeply personal level - they should leave it to the experts.

Commissioned during the Clone Wars by a wealthy member of the InterGalactic Banking Clan, "Agent Butler" was extensively programmed with a strong belief in the professed objectives of the Seperatists' movement and the lethal skill-set needed to carry the movement to its conclusion. During the Clone Wars, he infiltrated and disrupted dozens of Republic groups under the guise of a stuffy and well-mannered protocol droid, often dispatching their leaders with a single accurate shot. But the war ended in its abrupt fashion, and both the CIS and the Republic were swept away.

To Butler, the signs of a well-laid plot were obvious. He may have been programmed to be paranoid, but that doesn't mean the convenient deaths of the entire CIS leadership, the Jedi, and most of the senators who had ever annoyed the new Emperor wasn't proof of a decade long conspiracy. When rumors of a new movement that professed the same ideals as the old Republic and the dead Confederacy began to circulate, Butler was only too happy to lend his skills to the cause. The fact that the Alliance is trying to restore the Republic is, to him, immaterial - he's in this war for a cause, not a name.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil
Eshka Prisk, Bothan Agitator

"What'll it be? Yeah, I know, ain't many bartender Bothans. Too good for this kind of work, right? Well, I like talkin' to folks. Listenin', too. Everyone's got a story if you're ready to hear it. I don't blame you for judgin' me, though.

"A lot of Bothans are selfish. They don't mean any harm, it's just the way they were raised. I don't blame 'em, either. Galaxy's a tough place, and the Empire's only makin' it tougher. Sure, they make 'emselves look all shiny and clean, but it's just a sham. I seen the truth. I seen the piles of dead who didn't wanna help the Empire. I seen the slave camps. So yeah, I get why people wanna look out for number one.

"It ain't gonna work, though. Lookin' out for only yourself ain't gonna fix nothin'. You wanna change things? You gotta work together. Ain't gonna get nothin' done on your own. It's nice havin' something to believe in, too. Something to fight for. Listen, I've been doin' this work for a long time now, and the folks who come in here on their own are the ones who are lookin' for something to believe in. Most of the time they don't even know it yet.

"You want another one?"

MaliciousOnion fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Jan 19, 2017

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Caer Prisk'syk

"Ok, first of all, is it on? Ok, there should be a switch on the front. No, it should be on the front. Ok, maybe it's a button. Try pressing it. Is it booting up? No. Ok. Wait, is it plugged in? Ok, so plug it in and then press the button. No, you have to plug it in first."

His clan trained him to be an expert in database retrieval, and, no need for false modesty, he was good at it. He was very good at it. And, when the Bothans decided the rule of the Empire had become too repressive to be tolerable anymore, he, as a patriotic and loyal Bothan, joined the rebellion. He was glad to. He was willing to tolerate the danger, the risk, the fear that he'd be found out. But tech support in a resort? Nothing could prepare him for that level of indignity. He didn't know if the worst part was the staff or the guests. Oh, the guests were horrible. It didn't matter how old or broken their computers were. It was the resorts fault that they were having problems interfacing with the resorts system, because of course, everything worked fine at home. It really was too much to bear.

Astus
Nov 11, 2008
Looks like most people that wanted to submit a character have already, so I'm gonna make picks Sunday night. If you need more time, now is the time to say so.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Hopefully just under the deadline!

Bidu Noruta, Jizz-Wailer

I finally had a chance to impress a talent scout from a major jizz recording company. This was gonna be my shot at fame and fortune. I'd set up a small, exclusive outdoor concert in a location specifically chosen for its excellent acoustics. I was gonna blow that scout's boots off with my jizz-wailing. And that's when those vile beasts showed up and ruined everything! Stormtroopers showed up, ran off or arrested the guests -- and to top it all off, they then ate all of the food! I want revenge.

After barely escaping with nothing but the clothes on my back, a few credits in my pocket, and my trusty kloo horn, I found my chances completely ruined -- a recording career and galactic-wide press across the HoloNet were denied to me by the local garrison of Imperial busybodies. And what did I do to deserve it? Just some harmless jizz-wailing. My rage over this injustice festered within me, and I sought out more productive means of channeling my anger -- the Rebellion. Do I particularly care for the ideals of the movement? Not particularly. I just want to see the Empire burn for ruining my chance at stardom. Thankfully, the Rebellion recognizes my true value, even if they can't give me the fame I deserve. Now I spend my time at Watercrest -- officially, I'm one of the headliners of the resort's house band, but unofficially, my silky lyrics and smooth jizz work tirelessly to recruit for the anti-Imperial cause.

Drone fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Jan 22, 2017

Astus
Nov 11, 2008
Alright then, after spending a lot of time figuring out how to only take 5 players, here's what I came up with:

Dachshundofdoom as the Dug driver Lohkruda
Unknown Quantity as the Human sharpshooter Thom Xareec
John Dyne as the Trandoshan chef Keraun
Axqu as the Selonian doctor Anang Nner'bell
epicurius as the Bothan Slicer

So we have a soldier, an ex-pod racer, a doctor, a hotel chef, and an IT bothan. Notably no one is anything close to being the "Face" of the group, so that'll be fun.

Now a question for the players: should we ignore my original idea of making this a PbP and instead use Discord like jivjov's and MustacheRide's games are using? I think I'd prefer to keep it as a normal forum-based game, but if everyone else says I'm just being stubborn and dumb then I'm fine with switching the format. I will miss having a "preview post" button, though.

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug
Personally I like the advantages of PbP, but I'd be willing to Discord if everybody else wants to. I know there's some trouble with figuring out what to do with bonus dice when you can't really table-talk.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?
I PbP. I don't think I'd want to do more than one discord game at a time.

Axqu
Nov 28, 2016

I'm good with either! I like Discord better because it gives me notifications, but I'm totally chill with PbP too if that's the consensus.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?
That's three for PbP by my count. :v: OP WHEN ASTUS

Axqu
Nov 28, 2016

John Dyne posted:

That's three for PbP by my count. :v: OP WHEN ASTUS

Actually it's 2:1 PbP:Discord but to be fair my preference is about as soft as it gets :v

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!
I'm fine with either as well, but I will push in favor of whichever has more chaos.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
I'm still holding out for play by mail.

Astus
Nov 11, 2008
Alright, I'll be sticking to regular pbp for this game then. Thread should be up Thursday night.

Axqu
Nov 28, 2016

Astus posted:

Alright, I'll be sticking to regular pbp for this game then. Thread should be up Thursday night.

Awesome!! I've never done PbP here before, so forgive the ignorant question, but will this thread stay up for OOC chat? Or will that be handled some other way? Not sure of the conventions here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astus
Nov 11, 2008

Axqu posted:

Awesome!! I've never done PbP here before, so forgive the ignorant question, but will this thread stay up for OOC chat? Or will that be handled some other way? Not sure of the conventions here.

I won't lock this thread, so you can still do OOC chat in here. I also have a Discord server up that I'm using as a replacement for an IRC room, in case anyone finds that more convenient.

• Locked thread