Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

She's 185cm, but they haven't given a weight like they do with the men, probably for good reasons. A gifted athlete, Allan won the vertical running jump test and was sixth in the 20m sprint at October’s AFLW Draft Combine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4yVcre9WE60

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

Solemn Sloth posted:

Too big imo, should ban her

Na, she'll be fine; Jake Stringer has already confirmed that she's not, and has never been, male in gender.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."

NTRabbit posted:

We somehow convinced Gold Coast to give up pick 39 for 0 game delisting candidate Harrison Wigg, 54, and a 2018 4th rounder

Jess Allan is a big girl, jumps high too, she killed it at the championships.

See I was told never to wear brown shoes with black pants but look there just look at that

Kids these days...

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
Take it with a grain of salt, but:

https://twitter.com/RalphyHeraldSun/status/920515715618234368

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

At first I thought overs then I remembered Adelaide's first pick is like round 18

The more I think about it the more I think that the Motlop compo was engineered by the AFL but not to get GC a good pick but to solve the problem created by them allowing the cats to trade multiple years first round picks away.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

hiddenmovement posted:

At first I thought overs then I remembered Adelaide's first pick is like round 18

The more I think about it the more I think that the Motlop compo was engineered by the AFL but not to get GC a good pick but to solve the problem created by them allowing the cats to trade multiple years first round picks away.

The Crows have picks 10 and 16 this year so it could be a pretty good outcome for the Blues.

I'm pretty sure the AFL solved that issue for the Cats early in the year by claiming that the limitation didn't kick in till next year or something.

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

IMO, these for 'homesickness' give massive support to the idea of raising the draft age, or enforcing a year out of high school like they do in the NBA.

The AFL should fund and set up a national 20 or under comp. This would let kids finish high school without the pressure of drafting. They can then play a year of football while trying other adult' things -apprenticeships/tafe/uni/hospitality/whatever.

This gives them a year where they can adjust to traveling, they can grow up a bit, maybe even move out of home. They can develop physically and mentally so they are much better prepared for AFL football.

The AFL could then put a lottery in place to eliminate tanking - the rationale being that clubs will have a much better idea of what they're drafting, which would make the top picks more valuable, which would give more incentive to tank - so a lottery would avoid that.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

Windmill Hut posted:

IMO, these for 'homesickness' give massive support to the idea of raising the draft age, or enforcing a year out of high school like they do in the NBA.

The AFL should fund and set up a national 20 or under comp. This would let kids finish high school without the pressure of drafting. They can then play a year of football while trying other adult' things -apprenticeships/tafe/uni/hospitality/whatever.

This gives them a year where they can adjust to traveling, they can grow up a bit, maybe even move out of home. They can develop physically and mentally so they are much better prepared for AFL football.

The AFL could then put a lottery in place to eliminate tanking - the rationale being that clubs will have a much better idea of what they're drafting, which would make the top picks more valuable, which would give more incentive to tank - so a lottery would avoid that.

Just make them play state level colts for a year

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

hiddenmovement posted:

As long as it's 16 this year and not 10, that makes it 16, hopefully 18 but no worse than 16, and a late 30s pick after bidding to get Gibbs and a pick in the mid 20s, and we still get a better first round pick this year and next year from Melbourne. Works for me.

If they want pick 10 and Melbourne's pick next year, no deal.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Oct 18, 2017

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

You won't eliminate tanking because 'playing the kids' is a real and useful strategy. Draft picks is a second priority of just putting senior experience into young bodies

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Gibbs deal fell through last minute. Talks will resume tomorrow.
https://twitter.com/SamLandsberger/status/920537844816289793

Bye Gibbs. I knew there was a 90% chance of him going this season... still.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Spedman posted:

Just make them play state level colts for a year

The AFL would probably jump at this suggestion if you pointed out the level of interest (and therefor money to be made) in college football in the US

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Bulldogs took a bit of a risk with Huntington at pick 1, she sat out all year with an ACL injury although reportedly she & Chloe Molloy would have been neck and neck for pick 1. Pick 4 for us also plays in the WNBL with the Melbourne Boomers although she's pretty tiny at 165cms.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Testekill posted:

Pick 4 for us also plays in the WNBL with the Melbourne Boomers although she's pretty tiny at 165cms.

But just imagine someone cutting through a midfield like you need to cut through a basketball court. That could be a pretty potent set of skills

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Bulldogs did very well in the draft, helped along by high picks.

I reckon Carlton did pretty great considering we only had one pick in the first three rounds and everybody picked at least three players before we selected our second (Collingwood and Bulldogs picking 5 players before we picked a second) so I'm happy with the result.

I'm very surprised Kate Bartlett didn't get picked by GWS, since she is from WA and decided to be drafted in the NSW pool. I guess they told her they'll offer her a rookie draft on Friday?

A few Netball conversions have happened, mostly as rookie picks (although Carlton upgraded our two rookies, one netball one basketball to the primary list the other month) and with the Netball season being pushed back a bit next year it is possible for some women to play both next year.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
Logan Austin from Port has reportedly requested a trade to the Saints. I have very little idea who he is except that he's a 196cm key defender (I think).

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

drunkill posted:

Gibbs deal fell through last minute. Talks will resume tomorrow.
https://twitter.com/SamLandsberger/status/920537844816289793

Bye Gibbs. I knew there was a 90% chance of him going this season... still.

There's a rumour the deal was tanked because someone on the Blues board wants it tanked, the surprise 2nd round pick was inserted after the deal had been done at their request in order to block it.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

NTRabbit posted:

There's a rumour the deal was tanked because someone on the Blues board wants it tanked, the surprise 2nd round pick was inserted after the deal had been done at their request in order to block it.

There's no way that could be true because who the gently caress wouldn't take 2 first rounders for a 28/29 year old Bryce Gibbs in the middle of a full blown rebuild.

Of course, Carlton is a very well run club so it's entirely possible.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Periphery posted:

Logan Austin from Port has reportedly requested a trade to the Saints. I have very little idea who he is except that he's a 196cm key defender (I think).

.... who dat?

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

Periphery posted:

There's no way that could be true because who the gently caress wouldn't take 2 first rounders for a 28/29 year old Bryce Gibbs in the middle of a full blown rebuild.

Of course, Carlton is a very well run club so it's entirely possible.

Triggs gone, competency is possible

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

Testekill posted:

.... who dat?

No idea, but I'm pretty sure his departure undoes all of Ports good work this trade period.

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

:qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq:
logan played against us earlier in the year, hogan gave him a bath

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

If Gibbs goes to Adelaide, do people feel they can challenge for the flag again?

Midfield was always a question (even though the Crouch boys stepped up), but Gibbs can take the spot of some hack like Mackay and improve it immensely. I'm sure Lever's absence can be filled, maybe not quite as good but someone decent enough to play that role. Same for Cameron.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
Whether or not the Crows are premiership threats next year has more to do with the rest of the comp than it does with us, I reckon. I don't think Gibbs would have made the difference this year, nor would losing Lever or Cameron to be honest. If Gibbs comes in we improve in one position, and with Lever out we get worse in another. Cameron brings a point of difference but is replaceable. Other than Betts, none of our regular players are getting old. Brodie Smith missing next season with his ACL sucks but Seedsman will play his role after having missed most of 2017. We should be roughly as good next year as we were this year.

We were fortunate that this year several sides seemed to slide down the ladder and have bad patches. If that continues next year we should be around the mark again. If a couple of other sides take big strides, I don't see us holding them back.

Edit: All that being said, there is scope for improvement in the Crows if everything goes right. Outside of the first couple of months, Betts and Sloane both had down years, and Walker had the yips when kicking for goal all year long.

cmndstab fucked around with this message at 11:37 on Oct 18, 2017

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

Windmill Hut posted:

If Gibbs goes to Adelaide, do people feel they can challenge for the flag again?

Midfield was always a question (even though the Crouch boys stepped up), but Gibbs can take the spot of some hack like Mackay and improve it immensely. I'm sure Lever's absence can be filled, maybe not quite as good but someone decent enough to play that role. Same for Cameron.

If Adelaide want a flag they should try recruiting some umpires or a home final, not a 30 year old midfielder

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

snaeksikn posted:

logan played against us earlier in the year, hogan gave him a bath

Yeah but Hogan gives most players a bath.

racing identity
Apr 5, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
This year the Gibbs deal will fall through because as Justin Reid is walking into AFL house with the completed paperwork a gust of wind will blow it out of his hand and onto the roof.

He will be unable to retrieve the documents from the roof before the 2pm deadline

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
Well the Crows gave 10 and 16 for Gibbs and a swap of picks.

Jesus christ.

E: I assume the swap of picks is in the crows favour.

Periphery fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Oct 18, 2017

racing identity
Apr 5, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Periphery posted:

Well the Crows gave 10 and 16 for Gibbs and a swap of picks.

Jesus christ.

We get back Carlton's 2018 second, which is likely to be in the early 20s (and in what is expected to be a better draft year), so not as pricey as it looks.

If we deal Cameron for 20 we'll still have a top 20 pick this year and two firsts next year

racing identity
Apr 5, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
I'm hearing SOS changed the deal after it was agreed upon again and we've actually traded in Rhys Palmer instead of Gibbs

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

racing identity posted:

We get back Carlton's 2018 second, which is likely to be in the early 20s (and in what is expected to be a better draft year), so not as pricey as it looks.

If we deal Cameron for 20 we'll still have a top 20 pick this year and two firsts next year

Assuming both clubs finish in the same spot on the ladder next year the deal looks like this:

10, 16, 36 (2108) and 73
for
Gibbs, 22 (2018), 40 (2018) and 77

Using the AFL's points system that values Gibbs at pick 7.

It looks better but that's still a lot to pay for a guy that will be 29 early next season.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Looks a lot worse if Carlton manage to find some competence next year too

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
:rip: Gibbs

You will be missed.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
Feels like a lot, but if Carlton end up terrible next year as well it's not a bad trade.

I'll crosspost my armchair analysis of the Crows' trade period from Bigfooty:

quote:

Assuming we end up trading Cameron for 20, our trade period looks like this:

Out: Lever, Cameron, Wigg, Pick 16, Pick 35, 2018 2nd, Pick 54, 2018 3rd
In: Gibbs, 2018 1st (Melbourne), Pick 20, 2018 2nd (Carlton), Pick 39, 2018 3rd (Carlton), 2018 4th (Melbourne), Pick 73

Eight commodities in, eight commidities out. Lining them up:

Lever -> Gibbs (loss but we improve in an area of need)
Cameron -> 2018 1st (Melbourne) (win)
Wigg -> Pick 20 (major win)
Pick 16 -> 2018 2nd (Carlton) (if Carlton finish low and 2018 is stronger than this year, potentially a win)
Pick 35 -> Pick 39 (minor loss)
2018 2nd -> 2018 3rd (Carlton) (minor loss)
Pick 54 -> 2018 4th Melbourne (minor loss)
2018 3rd -> Pick 73 (minor loss)

In my mind it all depends on how you view Lever vs Gibbs. If you view them as an even exchange, then our trade week is effectively a win on the bigger commodities, for what amounts to small pick downgrades on late picks.

Just to make this a bit clearer, if the picks next year end up the same as this year:

Lever -> Gibbs (loss but we improve in an area of need)
Cameron -> 2018 Pick 10 (win)
Wigg -> Pick 20 (major win)
Pick 16 -> 2018 Pick 22 (if Carlton finish low and 2018 is stronger than this year, potentially a win)
Pick 35 -> Pick 39 (minor loss)
2018 Pick 36 -> 2018 Pick 40 (minor loss)
Pick 54 -> 2018 Pick 66 (minor loss)
2018 Pick 54 -> Pick 73 (minor loss)

cmndstab fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Oct 19, 2017

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
West Coast just traded their 2018 first round pick for four of the Suns 2nd rounders (3 from this year, 1 from next)

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

That seems risky given where they appear to be at

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Do West Coast have a hidden academy or a whole brood of players sons they need points for?

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

Solemn Sloth posted:

Do West Coast have a hidden academy or a whole brood of players sons they need points for?

Nope! Theyre just totally craaaaaazy!!

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

I don't even get why Adelaide would want a traitorous cur who has no sense of honour or loyalty tbh, hopefully tex gives him a big spray on his first day

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Also Gold Coast took that Eagles pick to Freo for Weller, and they told them top 4 pick or gtfo

• Locked thread